New Mika Song in French: "Elle me dit"

mellody

me ? :lmfao: no... just level headed! i love sensible conversations where we can all say what we think, even if it's not all in agreement, but still appreciate everyone's comments.

that's what happens when you have been on a constant Mika draught...

you become logical. honeymoon is over baby ! :mf_rosetinted:

WARNING: this may change at any moment's notice & does not apply when Mika is touring in MY country :aah:

But i guess Alice got a bit upset with this "friendly" convo....:boxed:

That ketchup song has no sense... I mean... "aserejé, ja, de je, dejebe tu de...." and so on is NOT spanish :aah: it´s like the "pum, pum, pum" of the beginning of EMD :mf_rosetinted:

EXACTLY!!!!

and EXACTLY once again:roftl::roftl::roftl:

whats EMD?:blink:

Where have you been in the last couple of days???:blink:

This is exactly what I think. It's easy to say that Mika should favour French markets because they have been more supportive but it's a chicken and egg situation to me. Of course Mika had great success from France right from the beginning but he started losing his English audience along the way as he went from Converse to Louboutins if you know what I mean.

Switching from Converse to Louboutins was a great idea. Converse are horrible for your feet, especially with how much dancing Mika does. :mf_rosetinted:

I know what you meant, though :aah:

I understand what you mean, it's always nice to make your mind up on your own, without having to rely on others.

The lyrics in "Elle me dit" are not lame, but they are not deep by no means & are quite repeatative. :naughty:

Will we (french speakers) remember this song as a great achievement in Mika's career? No! We'll remember this song as quirky & catchy... no more, no less. This song does have a tad of darkness in them. Now i know Mika always says his lyrics are "dark", but i never agreed with him on that. :naughty: This time, it's ME saying they are a tad dark. :aah:

Part of Mika's appeal to me is because he is english & different. I think French people may find 1 or 2 songs endearing, but i don't think they would prefer him singing in french all the time. Though i find it cute and flattering, it's not the Mika i know!

I'd like a french person from France to double check me/correct me on this, but the incorrect lyrics i pointed out earlier... are they also incorrect in France? If so, how could that gentleman who told him that he "must" release that song let it slip by? :dunno: He should have been told from the start & not once the song is recorded :doh:

:bye:

I totally agree with you about how French speakers will remember this song (if they remember it, because who knows if it's really going to be a hit? :dunno:) I like the song and I really appreciate the 'effort' of him singing in French ('effort' is not really the word as I don't think he was forced at all), but I'm looking forward so much more to his new songs in English.. As he said himself it's just a little gift, and at the same time some fresh air both for him and the audience, and of course if it boosts sales for Compiegne I think his goal will be achieved.

As for the incorrect lyrics, the ones you mentioned with 'dans un ballon' and 'sur Internet' are actually correct in France, but the 'chanson contente' is a mistake. He did say in the interviews he gave in June though that he knows he makes some grammatical mistakes in French and wanted to keep them in the French songs he had written. He also talked about this mistake with 'contente' in the RFM interview yesterday. Apparently someone had just told him this couldn't be used in French, and he asked the presenter if it was true, and the man didn't answer properly, finishing with a 'nevermind', meaning 'nevermind we like you anyway'.. I think maybe French people who worked with him didn't want to contradict him in his work..

thanks Camille

but my point is, they should have contradicted him and told him from the start :naughty:

i mean, i don't mind the mistake, his diehard fanbase will think it's cute. but if the general public hears this, they may go :blink:

i mean, i don't mind the mistake, his diehard fanbase will think it's cute. but if the general public hears this, they may go :blink:

Is it worse than "lonely is so lonely alone"? Cause I'm thinking it can't get more awkward than that, in any language :lmfao:

Is it worse than "lonely is so lonely alone"? Cause I'm thinking it can't get more awkward than that, in any language :lmfao:

:roftl: well, the difference between "lonely is so lonely alone" and chanson contente is that he knew what he was writing/saying when he wrote those 5 words & he didn't realise it was wrong when he wrote chanson contente

like when he was saying "introduire mes musiciens" :roftl:

it took a brave crowd to tell him, but once he knew, he didn't repeat it :aah:

thanks Camille

but my point is, they should have contradicted him and told him from the start :naughty:

Yes they should have contradicted him as this is incorrect, and at the same time I think they were right not to as this is just pure Mika :naughty: He has already made this mistake with 'content' in normal French conversations, so he's just consistent :biggrin2:

But to be honest if any other singer said 'chanson contente' in their song I would be laughing right now. I'm afraid I'm just completely biased :aah:

Does it mean nothing then? (If so I really have to change the quote in my profile :teehee:) I thought it was kind of poetic :blush-anim-cl:

I think I need to re-watch that vid, cause honestly... I can´t understand anything I just understood "macarena" :aah:

yes, his Spanish is THAT good :mf_rosetinted:

Seriously, it's quite funny. He goes "cuerpo a tu cuerpo Macarena lalala... cuerpo...lalala...cuerpo..;alalala...cuerpo..." :roftl::roftl::aah:

Yeah, those weird things he wrote a few times in the English songs were what I kept thinking when I read this about the "chanson contente" :naughty:. There are plenty of examples, like also in Big Girl, Lady Jane and a few others.

:roftl: well, the difference between "lonely is so lonely alone" and chanson contente is that he knew what he was writing/saying when he wrote those 5 words & he didn't realise it was wrong when he wrote chanson contente

like when he was saying "introduire mes musiciens" :roftl:

it took a brave crowd to tell him, but once he knew, he didn't repeat it :aah:

Which is why my MO is always tell him the truth, even if it hurts a little at the time :mf_rosetinted:

I don't feel betrayed at all because he's singing in French. I just don't like this song very much, or think that it's not up to the usual standard that he produces. I will disagree on what you say about the song becoming a hit in non francophone countries. I can tell you right now that his song wouldn't get anywhere in the UK charts for sure :lmfao:

Also, I find it silly that he's not making any efforts to promote things in any other country it would seem, and that he's catering so much to the French market at the cost of forgetting about others.

oh well that's true it probably won't make it into the UK charts :naughty:

I think I need to re-watch that vid, cause honestly... I can´t understand anything :aah: I just understood "macarena" :aah:

yes, his Spanish is THAT good :mf_rosetinted:

:roftl: he said something about taking 2 years to undestand what the song said.... he still hasn't got it :aah:

Just watching a show with Rufus Wainwright and Guy Chambers trying to write a ballad together (World War 3), and they show how difficult it actually is to write a song, with the rhyming, and getting the melody right.

And that's in English!

So I can imagine even with help, how tricky it must have been for Mika to get his head around the lyrics for this, and the other French songs he's done.

oh well that's true it probably won't make it into the UK charts :naughty:

I doubt they are planning to release it in the UK at any moment in time.

I can imagine even with help, how tricky it must have been for Mika to get his head around the lyrics for this, and the other French songs he's done.

No one was forcing him to write songs in French though. Didn't he suggest he was doing it out of pleasure?:dunno:

Edited by suzie

Just watching a show with Rufus Wainwright and Guy Chambers trying to write a ballad together (World War 3), and they show how difficult it actually is to write a song, with the rhyming, and getting the melody right.

And that's in English!

So I can imagine even with help, how tricky it must have been for Mika to get his head around the lyrics for this, and the other French songs he's done.

I'm sure that writing a song is no easy task, and I would be totally incapable of writing anything, but I honestly don't think that this song is complex enough for it to have been extremely tricky for him :wink2:. And as Suzie says, he said he did it because it felt right, etc....

can i just say....

i just :wub2: these conversations!

this calls for a :group_hug:

ok... back to normal now :aah:

Yes it's been a long time since we had that!:wink2:

It's nice to log in and there is actually something to read!:thumb_yello:

Are we a little emotional???:mf_rosetinted:

You teaser!:naughty:

At least we know that Mika is alive and kicking again!:naughty:

Does it mean nothing then? (If so I really have to change the quote in my profile :teehee:) I thought it was kind of poetic :blush-anim-cl:

It's beautiful and creative and please don't change your profile! :wub2:

I doubt they are planning to release it in the UK at any moment in time.

No one was forcing him to write songs in French though. Didn't he suggest he was doing it out of pleasure?:dunno:

you can do something out of pleasure, but it doesn't mean you don't need a little help along the way :naughty:

ie: i like to draw, but i need someone with more experience to show me where to apply the shadow. :blush-anim-cl:

Honestly I have no idea what it means. If I think about it too long my brain starts to short circuit :lmfao:

you can do something out of pleasure, but it doesn't mean you don't need a little help along the way :naughty:

yes, but what I meant is that you can't reason something not turning out well by saying it was a difficult task, especially when you did it voluntarily.

Edited by suzie

I think it's great he's doing songs in French. And I think he should be doing songs in whatever language he likes. I've lived in three countries and there's a different vibe in all languages... and I become a slightly different person depending on which language I speak* (normally cause the cultures are different and hence demand different responses). I love that there can be so many diverse sides to a person, and think using and developing all of them should be encouraged. That way we all can become one happy understanding family :group_hug:

So I completely get why he might want to go play in French for a while. And if that's what he wants to do that's what he should do. Cause life is, as quite nicely pointed out in EMD, not infinitely long.

PS. Lonely is so lonley alone makes perfect sense...

* This is obviously not true for everybody... but it seems to be quite common at least.

Edited by fromthee

PS. Lonely is so lonley alone makes perfect sense...

It would only make sense if the first "lonely" was a noun but it's not. i.e. loneliness is so lonely alone. But even that is horribly awkward as all those references to being alone/lonely are completely redundant. To say that loneliness is lonely is self-evident to the point of being a meaningless statement.