Media reactions to 'Make You Happy'.

robertina

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a386353/mika-unveils-new-song-make-you-happy-video.html

just giving the news, fifty-fifty comments (and one rubbish, as usual :doh:)

http://www.queerty.com/watch-mika-wants-to-make-you-happy-20120610/

the gay community is quite upset.

So they want him to make a big issue about this gay thing?? Like it's not okay not to talk about your sexuality? He is not even much hiding, just making music. Quite disappointed to read some reactions.

So they want him to make a big issue about this gay thing?? Like it's not okay not to talk about your sexuality? He is not even much hiding, just making music. Quite disappointed to read some reactions.

you must be living the LGBT issues to understand their reactions.

I would suspend any harsh judgement.....

you must be living the LGBT issues to understand their reactions.

I would suspend any harsh judgement.....

I'm sure you are right. And I was hoping to see gay couples more openly, too! Just a bit surprised the reaction is so strong. But it's always because we talk about Mika. I guess everything is as it's should be :naughty:

I'm sure you are right. And I was hoping to see gay couples more openly, too! Just a bit surprised the reaction is so strong. But it's always because we talk about Mika. I guess everything is as it's should be :naughty:

yes, I would cut it short, especially here. We are not entitled to enter this delicate subject.

and what we aim the most is that the song is successful :thumb_yello:

yes, I would cut it short, especially here. We are not entitled to enter this delicate subject.

and what we aim the most is that the song is successful :thumb_yello:

Does this mean we are back the old days and not allowed to mention the gay word? I'm just asking to make sure the rules rules, because I didn't think I said anything wrong and now I feel did?? :blink:

You know, gay issues are close to my heart because I know some gay people and know they have to sometimes face difficulties no one should just because they love someone. And I try my best to fight against homophobia whenever I can.

I still think sexuality is just one aspect in (any) person's life and was surprised to see such a strong reaction. But as I said earlier, it' Mika we talk about and he always divides opinions, so everything is as it should be :naughty:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a386353/mika-unveils-new-song-make-you-happy-video.html

I never understand why is that important to them (gay community) is he gay, bi or alien or something else... Like he is hurting someone :sneaky2: ...

People can't say if they like song or not ... they keep talking about gay couple, I don't know why is that important .... :mf_rosetinted:

Does this mean we are back the old days and not allowed to mention the gay word? I'm just asking to make sure the rules rules, because I didn't think I said anything wrong and now I feel did?? :blink:

You know, gay issues are close to my heart because I know some gay people and know they have to sometimes face difficulties no one should just because they love someone. And I try my best to fight against homophobia whenever I can.

I still think sexuality is just one aspect in (any) person's life and was surprised to see such a strong reaction. But as I said earlier, it' Mika we talk about and he always divides opinions, so everything is as it should be :naughty:

oh no Nina!!

I meant that the LGBT world and issues are something very complex and delicate, and I think MFC is not the place to discuss about all that in full.

I have no problem in saying GAY GAY GAY GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY with reference to Mika :naughty:

Yes, I'm 100% involved in the LGBT world and I know what they are all about.

And I have great respect. I totally share your feelings, they are mine as well!

oh no Nina!!

I meant that the LGBT world and issues are something very complex and delicate, and I think MFC is not the place to discuss about all that in full.

I have no problem in saying GAY GAY GAY GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY with reference to Mika :naughty:

Yes, I'm 100% involved in the LGBT world and I know what they are all about.

And I have great respect. I totally share your feelings, they are mine as well!

Hahah, I know Robi :huglove: And I totally agree that these things ARE complex and also personal: everyone sees their own sexuality in their own way.

I just like to think we are all equal and individuals, and don't see any reason to avoid any words. But I know the issue can be delicate to someone, no problem.

This reaction of the gay community reminds me of what I saw on Tumblr a while back. One fan was upset because Mika didn't stand up more for people who were bullied and the fan said he/she wasn't going to support Mika anymore because of that. I can understand why people relate to an artist who has experienced similar things in their lives but it's almost like they're asking for the artist to be an ambassador for them.

Being queer myself I can admit that whenever I see same sex couples in music videos, TV etc. I do a little happy dance - it's about getting recognized by the society. But at the end of the day Mika is a musician and that's what his main focus is on. If he (or some other artist) decides to show their support to certain causes, great. As Nina said, sexuality is just one aspect of a person's life and if they don't want to associate that with everything they do that should be fine, too. :dunno:

Hahah, I know Robi :huglove: And I totally agree that these things ARE complex and also personal: everyone sees their own sexuality in their own way.

I just like to think we are all equal and individuals, and don't see any reason to avoid any words. But I know the issue can be delicate to someone, no problem.

Yes, I'm not for avoiding, at all! but you know how it works here :naughty: we can make a mountain out of a grain of sand! :wink2:

Edited by robertina

But at the end of the day Mika is a musician and that's what his main focus is on. If he (or some other artist) decides to show their support to certain causes, great.

i don't know why anyone would expect a music video to have an agenda for a cause no matter what it is. Sting and Bono put me off with all their issues, even if I agree with them. For me music is about fun. It's escapism. I have other avenues to learn about important issues in the world and do not want to be guilt tripped or preached at 24 hours a day.

I do understand the disappointment in 2007 when Mika refused to discuss his sexuality at all, however, and I guess that is always going to haunt him especially since many still believe he is gay and not bi.

I think it's difficult to send a new song to a gay community web site while this song and the video that accompanies it is a banality to be scary.

That pleases everyone, gay or not, big girls, skiny girls, boys, normal people, mad people..., in that Mika done musically it is his colorful and original turn, the fact he put in song sad lyrics but on a joyful music. Here everything is gray, almost depressing.

I do not like gender studies as I did years of art history studies, what I learned is that we can't confine an artist of any kind in a box and label him. I think it's having a lot of prejudices to put a label on an artist. Mika is Mika but in this song and this video he is not found.

more from Italian sites:

http://www.sorrisi.com/2012/06/11/mika-in-rete-il-video-di-%C2%ABmake-you-happy%C2%BB-assaggio-del-nuovo-album-in-uscita-in-autunno/

this is quite a big mainstream site. They say the new Mika differs quite a lot from 2007, and confirm the album will be out in Autumn :blink:

http://www.cubemagazine.it/mika-presenta-il-nuovo-videoclip-make-you-happy/

'if you loved falsetto and childish rhythms you will love The origin of love' wtf?? :blink:

I think it's difficult to send a new song to a gay community web site while this song and the video that accompanies it is a banality to be scary.

He didn't send anything to the site. He simply tweeted the link. Even Perez didn't hear about the song until Deb told him.

He didn't send anything to the site. He simply tweeted the link. Even Perez didn't hear about the song until Deb told him.

:naughty: they pretend he has though!

Mika sent us a very personal email giving us the heads up about his latest video, “Make You Happy”:

Here’s the first song I wanted you to hear from my new record, The Origin of Love. This is not a single but a song I really love and wanted to share with you.

I commissioned a short film which I felt perfectly captured the sentiment of the track. The film was directed by Iouri Philippe Paillé and was made in Montreal. This is where the entire album started taking shape a year ago with Nick Littlemore at Planet Studios in Papineau.

I can’t wait for you to hear the first single and the rest of the album very, very soon.

Okay, so we have a sneaking suspicion Mika didn’t just send us that email. But we like what we hear so far. Check back for more info about The Origin of Love’s release date.

I'm happy about the positive reviews. They make me more excited.

I couldn't care less about the bits of negativity, its only to be expected and is actually something that happens with any popstar.

I tripple-couldn't-care-less about the sexuality stuff. Everyone who doesn't like what is in the short film just needs to grow up and stop fussing about trifles.

But I am a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any reaction from the UK press. I hope this doesn't mean they are going to ignore The Origin Of Love and its singles as well. That would be terrible!!

I think Mika's management might have sent some emails to the gay press.. Here's another gay magazine who wrote they got an email, this can't be a coincidence :fisch:

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/Interact/Blogs-articleid-9079-sectionid-760.html

I think Mika's management might have sent some emails to the gay press.. Here's another gay magazine who wrote they got an email, this can't be a coincidence :fisch:

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/Interact/Blogs-articleid-9079-sectionid-760.html

The first guy admitted he was just joking and this one doesn't say it came from Mika at all. Maybe his mother emailed him the link. :lmfao:

I suppose there is a lesson here though that the gay press is a lot more interested in Mika than the general press so perhaps being sensitive to them is more important than tip toeing around homophobics.

I still don't see anything wrong with predominantly straight couples because it's a reflection of real life, but I do get the point about the gay couple being handled in a not very upfront and proud way.