Media reactions to 'Make You Happy'.

robertina

Isn't it ironic that he is too gay to someone but obviously not gay enough?

I think that was even more the case in 2007 because he refused to discuss his sexuality. I understand that he didn't want to be labelled as the "gay singer Mika". I think even Adam Lambert finds this tiresome and he's always been openly gay and advocating for the LGBT community. But people are not deaf, dumb and blind and drew their own conclusions anyway.

I understood the frustration at that time that he wasn't "gay enough" but this discussion about the video is a bit ridiculous to me, especially when some of the comments are in accurate (eg. that there are only straight people portrayed in the film.)

I imagine some of these people don't care for Mika anyway and are just looking for a justification to slam his work.

This is the reason I'm no longer on twitter. I got sick of reading the terrible things this person was saying about people who have been nothing but good to me. I know what bullying is like, and it's not on here at all.

I think the person who was bothering you on Twitter is a different person. I know it's hard to believe that there are multiple people out there who have nothing better to do when they wake up every morning than troll the internet harassing Mika fans, but sadly there is. All we can do is keep them away from MFC, but when we do they take to Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr etc. and vent their spleens there.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understood the frustration at that time that he wasn't "gay enough" but this discussion about the video is a bit ridiculous to me, especially when some of the comments are in accurate (eg. that there are only straight people portrayed in the film.)

Yes, I got the feeling it's not enough it's there, but should be highlighted to look more as a statement.

It is offensive and harsh (and also not true and only one person's words) but I hope average readers see comments like that just weird and off topic and don't pay too much attention. I have learnt to skip this username myself (because he/she constantly leaves comments everywhere) and I didn't even notice this before it was mentioned and I went back and read. But it is sad to see comments like this under new music! It should be about the song and the film.

And about the vid. Isn't it ironic that he is too gay to someone but obviously not gay enough? I never thought there would be so much discussion about the film! I thought it would be the new electronic style that divides people :doh:

Sadly, he sees himself as a "crusader for the few without a voice"

When in fact, he is the voice of the ones who couldn't follow guidelines, and had no problems to voice themselve here. But when told to stop, they cry "bullying"

All he has to go by is 2nd/3rd hand/4th hand info and because these people are upset , they tend to exaggerate and turn the story to their advantage.

Sadly, this person is not a child, but in his 60s & I guess he gets personal gratification and self worth by doing this. I still wonder how these people can function on a day to day basis in real life lol

Sadly, he sees himself as a "crusader for the few without a voice"

When in fact, he is the voice of the ones who couldn't follow guidelines, and had no problems to voice themselve here. But when told to stop, they cry "bullying"

All he has to go by is 2nd/3rd hand/4th hand info and because these people are upset , they tend to exaggerate and turn the story to their advantage.

Sadly, this person is not a child, but in his 60s & I guess he gets personal gratification and self worth by doing this. I still wonder how these people can function on a day to day basis in real life lol

How can they use their lives for things like that? How do they survive their everyday life? I didn't have a proper idea of the situation, because I don't follow those people who do that and usually just skip some comments. I guess you mods can't avoid reading these things :huglove:

I am sick and tired of the term 'bullying' being bandied around the internet willy-nilly by people who just can't cope with either following rules or having their opinions disagreed with.

It is cheapening the term 'bullying', which is a very serious matter and does happen online of course. However, it is now being used by insecure and self righteous people to defend themselves when they feel they aren't being validated every second of every day on the internet.

Disagreements and fights happen all the time on internet forums and 99% of the time it is NOT 'bullying'. Save the term for REAL cases of victimisation and malicious persecution.

Spoken as one who was bullied in real life as a teenager and knows what bullying actually is, and isn't.

Edited by Gatagordinha
spelling

I guess you mods can't avoid reading these things :huglove:

I wasn't paying any attention to him but he started posting this nonsense on my videos so I received an email notification. I block the people who are verbally abusing me and others on a daily basis on Twitter but occasionally other fans bring it to our attention. It's gone on so long though that I think most people ignore it and I certainly don't want to hear anything about it. Life is too short to worry about what people you have no contact with whatsoever are saying about you. I don't live in their make believe world and their opinions are worthless to me.

Disagreements and fights happen all the time on internet forums and 99% of the time it is NOT 'bullying'. Save the term for REAL cases of victimisation and malicious persecution.

I have investigated some of these so-called bullying cases and have found that they are not even the result of fights. There are teens claiming to have been bullied on MFC by older fans who have a post count of less than 20, all of which are the "ZOMG, Mika is soooooooooo cute!!!" variety. I can't imagine they had any direct contact with any older fans, muchless have been bullied by them. I think they read conversations going on between others that they don't agree with or they are not embraced into the community quickly enough and get upset and leave. Which is understandable. I have walked away from most of the message boards I've stumbled across for those reasons. But it's beyond absurd to call this bullying. Strangers on the internet are not responsible for your feelings or how you react to what you read.

I have investigated some of these so-called bullying cases and have found that they are not even the result of fights. There are teens claiming to have been bullied on MFC by older fans who have a post count of less than 20, all of which are the "ZOMG, Mika is soooooooooo cute!!!" variety. I can't imagine they had any direct contact with any older fans, muchless have been bullied by them. I think they read conversations going on between others that they don't agree with or they are not embraced into the community quickly enough and get upset and leave. Which is understandable. I have walked away from most of the message boards I've stumbled across for those reasons. But it's beyond absurd to call this bullying. Strangers on the internet are not responsible for your feelings or how you react to what you read.

This sort of thing happens on every other fan forum I've been involved in, too. It does seem to be linked to not feeling included, which of course in the real world can be a form of bullying (if done systematically and in numbers against an individual with the express purpose of making that person upset). But it feels as if it is being applied with way too much sensitivity online.

Maybe in the case of younger people, who don't have as much life experience, it's wise to take into account their age and the fact that they may perceive situations differently. I know from my own experience of teenagers that bullying is now a big taboo (all the anti bullying projects that have gone on in schools in recent years have made it so, quite rightly) and it seems to me that they may have difficulty sorting bullying situations from normal disagreements and misunderstandings between people on the internet and therefore they cry 'bully' every time something upsets them. It's the way kids are programmed these days.

Not sure what the excuse is for older people who should know better, though :doh:

I think that was even more the case in 2007 because he refused to discuss his sexuality. I understand that he didn't want to be labelled as the "gay singer Mika". I think even Adam Lambert finds this tiresome and he's always been openly gay and advocating for the LGBT community. But people are not deaf, dumb and blind and drew their own conclusions anyway.

I imagine some of these people don't care for Mika anyway and are just looking for a justification to slam his work.

Oh, I forgot to ask. You think there was some kind of attitude or expectation left since 2007 and some people still see him through certain glasses and pay attention to only how open he is and not to his music? Because I thought from the beginning that the vid is beautiful and happy and I spotted the gay couple and thought they looked lovely. I didn't think the issue is that big for Mika as a singer any more, so I was just very surprised to read comments (and notice that a lot people are discussing about the vid and not about the song).

I know from my own experience of teenagers that bullying is now a big taboo (all the anti bullying projects that have gone on in schools in recent years have made it so, quite rightly) and it seems to me that they may have difficulty sorting bullying situations from normal disagreements and misunderstandings between people on the internet and therefore they cry 'bully' every time something upsets them. It's the way kids are programmed these days.

Yes I understand that and I mean it's a bit disappointing that they feel that way and tell others that they are being bullied, but mostly I feel bad for them that they are insecure and unhappy. Hopefully when they are older they will put these experiences in perspective.

Not sure what the excuse is for older people who should know better, though :doh:

In my experience the older ones just cry bullying to manipulate others into taking their side. They are often aggressive and chase around their so-called bully, soliciting attention from them and provoking reactions. Like you said there is so much anti-bullying propaganda now that trying to counter these false bullying claims is like walking through a minefield and people use that to their advantage.

That's obviously why Kodes is flying the bullying banner because he can run around talking trash about MFC and it's very difficult for anyone to counter it without appearing as if they are siding with bullies.

I've come across these comments too. Very strange. Maybe I'm being naive here, but I've never come across any form of bullying on here, towards mika or anybody else.

Everybody on here voices their opinions, but I've never seen anything even close to malicious. It's a shame these comments are around, especially as they appear to be false.

As for the new video, I much preferred the old-style music videos of mika jumping around to the music, but I don't see this as a music video , rather as a 'short film' , like mika said it was.

Funny, accusations of mika being too gay or too straight! I think of him as not particularly gay, and not particularly straight. He might be telling the truth by simply saying he's 'not picky'!:mikacool:

Oh, I forgot to ask. You think there was some kind of attitude or expectation left since 2007 and some people still see him through certain glasses and pay attention to only how open he is and not to his music? Because I thought from the beginning that the vid is beautiful and happy and I spotted the gay couple and thought they looked lovely. I didn't think the issue is that big for Mika as a singer any more, so I was just very surprised to read comments (and notice that a lot people are discussing about the vid and not about the song).

I don't really know. The dynamic on MFC is very different now so it's not something we really discuss anymore and the press doesn't really talk about his sexuality much either...I mean they haven't been talking about Mika much at all for years. :aah: I guess we'll see how people react as he starts giving interviews. I think he is going to have to be a lot more open about it now if he is peddling an album about "love". You can't write a bunch of love songs from the first person perspective and then claim you don't want to talk about it because it's private.

Yes I understand that and I mean it's a bit disappointing that they feel that way and tell others that they are being bullied, but mostly I feel bad for them that they are insecure and unhappy. Hopefully when they are older they will put these experiences in perspective.

In my experience the older ones just cry bullying to manipulate others into taking their side. They are often aggressive and chase around their so-called bully, soliciting attention from them and provoking reactions. Like you said there is so much anti-bullying propaganda now that trying to counter these false bullying claims is like walking through a minefield and people use that to their advantage.

That's obviously why Kodes is flying the bullying banner because he can run around talking trash about MFC and it's very difficult for anyone to counter it without appearing as if they are siding with bullies.

One thing i never got was what happened to Kodes...:dunno:

He was a very active member here and we got along well, then suddenly he got vanished and only a few weeks ago i found him on twitter...

I never got what made him go away and only a few tweets ago i noticed his biterness against mfc...

What happened???

Funny, accusations of mika being too gay or too straight! I think of him as not particularly gay, and not particularly straight. He might be telling the truth by simply saying he's 'not picky'!:mikacool:

:lmfao: You couldn't have convinced me of that in 2007 but I've come around to thinking that anything is possible where he's concerned.

I don't really know. The dynamic on MFC is very different now so it's not something we really discuss anymore and the press doesn't really talk about his sexuality much either...I mean they haven't been talking about Mika much at all for years. :aah: I guess we'll see how people react as he starts giving interviews. I think he is going to have to be a lot more open about it now if he is peddling an album about "love". You can't write a bunch of love songs from the first person perspective and then claim you don't want to talk about it because it's private.

That's a good point! And he can't talk about the same old issues any longer, he needs to move on any case.

He was a very active member here and we got along well, then suddenly he got vanished and only a few weeks ago i found him on twitter...

I never got what made him go away and only a few tweets ago i noticed his biterness against mfc...

What happened???

I honestly don't know what his problem is. I think he was acting a bit short with one of the mods or the other members. I can't remember. Someone spoke to him about it and he stormed off and has not logged in under his account since 2010. He created another account maybe a year or so later (I can't remember) and was making teasing comments as if he had inside info. Again someone spoke to him about our rule against multiple accounts and I think he just left. He was never banned or formally disciplined so he left of his own volition.

But now people who have been banned for aggressive and even abusive behaviour are teaming up with him on Youtube. I don't know if he's incredibly naive and obtuse and honestly wants to advocate on their behalf or if he is just happy to have some supporters in his ridiculous cause.

I honestly don't know what his problem is. I think he was acting a bit short with one of the mods or the other members. I can't remember. Someone spoke to him about it and he stormed off and has not logged in under his account since 2010. He created another account maybe a year or so later (I can't remember) and was making teasing comments as if he had inside info. Again someone spoke to him about our rule against multiple accounts and I think he just left. He was never banned or formally disciplined so he left of his own volition.

But now people who have been banned for aggressive and even abusive behaviour are teaming up with him on Youtube. I don't know if he's incredibly naive and obtuse and honestly wants to advocate on their behalf or if he is just happy to have some supporters in his ridiculous cause.

I never read youtube comments so i could never tell....

That's so weird, specially coz he's not a young boy anymore, so something wrong must have happened for him to act this way....It's a pity coz we used to get along well and talked a lot....

The same happened with Beirut, we got along fairly well here and then suddenly he got crazy about the mods and got banned..

I still tweet him as if to understand what went so wrong for this people to behave like this and what do they got against us mfc, coz i still didn't get it....He hates you guys while i love you, so i wouldn't be able to understand what went up in their heads but i'd very much like to...

I think he is going to have to be a lot more open about it now if he is peddling an album about "love". You can't write a bunch of love songs from the first person perspective and then claim you don't want to talk about it because it's private.

Yes that's a good point! I hope he has thought that through and got his answers ready..:naughty::mikasweat:

What happened???

he went over to the Dark Side :mf_rosetinted:

And now I have started to get flippant so I'm off :naughty:

That's so weird, specially coz he's not a young boy anymore, so something wrong must have happened for him to act this way....It's a pity coz we used to get along well and talked a lot....

The same happened with Beirut, we got along fairly well here and then suddenly he got crazy about the mods and got banned..

I still tweet him as if to understand what went so wrong for this people to behave like this and what do they got against us mfc, coz i still didn't get it....He hates you guys while i love you, so i wouldn't be able to understand what went up in their heads but i'd very much like to...

Beirut is a woman and just the fact that she's pretending to be a man should be enough of an indication that there is no rational reason for any of her behaviour and you will never understand her mentality. :naughty:

Anyway I don't want to give these people any more airtime on MFC because it's giving them the attention they crave. I don't live in their fantasy world where I am abusing people I don't have any contact with and where Mika is reading all our tweets and posts and is too scared to do anything about it, etc. I found it funny at first because it's so bizarre but when people are calling me an ugly rat, a fat bitch, an abuser of women etc. day after day after day there is no option but to block and ignore it.

MFC is one of the friendliest places on the internet and I don't like reading bad things about it. I feel safe here and welcomed. Rules are ok. It's like a traffic. You simply follow and everything is just fine.

EDIT: Block and ignore is the best option.

And I have to say I found who is guilty for all that bullying. Cant you see the pattern? A guy is talking to "someone" and bam, he's gone, a girl is talking to "someone", again bam, gone. :fisch:

:mikacool:

sorry wonka, i couldn't resist :huglove:

Edited by nenartus

:lmfao: :lmfao: This made me laugh

Firstly, it's not a 'he' but a 'she', but details aside, let's just say that a few of us have had the *cough* pleasure *cough* of meeting this person in RL and the only explanation that I have for her behaviour is a pure and simple case of good old :freak:

I am sick and tired of the term 'bullying' being bandied around the internet willy-nilly by people who just can't cope with either following rules or having their opinions disagreed with.

It is cheapening the term 'bullying', which is a very serious matter and does happen online of course. However, it is now being used by insecure and self righteous people to defend themselves when they feel they aren't being validated every second of every day on the internet.

Spoken as one who was bullied in real life as a teenager and knows what bullying actually is, and isn't.

Oh, I missed this post earlier. SO true. This is something that has been said over and over when some of these loons have been crying bully, but sadly, it's a bit like a rape claim: once the claim has been made, a lot of people tend to judge the person guilty even though they are proven innocent later. In this case, the bullying acccusations go flying around without people having any proof or anything to stand on, and the damage is done even though it's a false claim :dunno: what can you do!

I never thought there would be so much discussion about the film! I thought it would be the new electronic style that divides people :doh:

I think it only divides 'old / current' fans. Most people find anything strange about electropop, so they just decide if they like the song or not.

I think it is just self-victimisation, probably coming from the lack of coping skills or attention seeking.:dunno:

Strangers on the internet are not responsible for your feelings or how you react to what you read.

well someone must be :tears: (:naughty:)

This sort of thing happens on every other fan forum I've been involved in, too. It does seem to be linked to not feeling included, which of course in the real world can be a form of bullying (if done systematically and in numbers against an individual with the express purpose of making that person upset). But it feels as if it is being applied with way too much sensitivity online.

Maybe in the case of younger people, who don't have as much life experience, it's wise to take into account their age and the fact that they may perceive situations differently. I know from my own experience of teenagers that bullying is now a big taboo (all the anti bullying projects that have gone on in schools in recent years have made it so, quite rightly) and it seems to me that they may have difficulty sorting bullying situations from normal disagreements and misunderstandings between people on the internet and therefore they cry 'bully' every time something upsets them. It's the way kids are programmed these days.

You raised some really interesting points. I had no idea where all this 'bullying' topics came from - it does seem to be present in Western media a lot but not at all in my country, for example. I think current pop culture has a major influence. With all these pop stars talking about their bullied childhood and encouraging people to stand up for themselves and be proud to be different seem to encourage youngsters to find these points in their lives and identify with these celebrities. :fisch:

To me it has reached the point that when I next hear a pop star talking about that, I just regard it as cheap marketing tactics. :cool:

In my experience the older ones just cry bullying to manipulate others into taking their side.

yes, that's how I see it, too

I think the person who was bothering you on Twitter is a different person. I know it's hard to believe that there are multiple people out there who have nothing better to do when they wake up every morning than troll the internet harassing Mika fans, but sadly there is. All we can do is keep them away from MFC, but when we do they take to Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr etc. and vent their spleens there.

Yes I agree. Anyway, us MFCers have each other always.

Don't think we should let this thread get taken over by people who don't like the mika fan club. If they don't give us the curtosy of talking abou MFC nicely, we shouldn't let them take it over. Shame that negative things have been blasted all over the Internet about it though. It has been puzzling me for some time as to why they do it...