MIKA Releases New Video & MIKA Radio: Episode 1

dcdeb

Love this write-up from the LA Music Blog -- of course, I always love it whenever Mika gets any positive

coverage from a US writer. :thumb_yello: But I think this guy actually hits the nail on the head as to why

Mika's been so slow to catch on here on this side of the pond.

European pop phenomenon tries his hand at podcast

July 23rd, 2012

John Flanagan

Britain’s pop sweetheart MIKA never sits still for very long. Since the release of 2007′s Life in Cartoon Motion featuring the single “Grace Kelly,” he’s toured the world in support of his music. When not on the road, you can find him stashed away in an LA studio with Greg Wells writing the next international smash, recording with Empire of the Sun’s Nick Littlemore in Montreal, or releasing a single in French.

Mika’s reach as an artist extends far beyond album releases, concert tours, or run-of-the-mill PR campaigns. For example, in anticipation of his third LP, The Origin of Love, bound for store shelves this upcoming September 16th, MIKA released a music video for the song “Make You Happy,” but the track is not a single. It’s more of an extract, an art project. MIKA states with the video:

“Here’s the first song I wanted you to hear from my new record, The Origin of Love. This is not a single but a song I really love and wanted to share with you. I commissioned a short film which I felt perfectly captured the sentiment of the track. The film was directed by Iouri Philippe Paillé and was made in Montreal. This is where the entire album started taking shape a year ago with Nick Littlemore at Planet Studios in Papineau. I can’t wait for you to hear the first single and the rest of the album very, very soon.”

In this way, MIKA is an artist firstly and a cog in the great pop-machine lastly. Amazingly, his label, Island Def Jams, seems to understand this creative need to release videos for album backtracks, collaborate with unknown/indie songwriters, and explore the world in search of artistic truth. With all on MIKA’s plate, that he finds the time for all of his creative distractions and side-projects while maintaining worldwide mainstream inertia is a feat. Though it is perhaps this high-art elegance that keeps him off the US Top 40 Charts.

MIKA is an indie/pop contradiction understood by only his most addicted fans the world over. Too bubblegum in his singles for the East Village hipsters, too intellectual in his symphonic arrangements for the Midwestern tweeners, and perhaps just a touch too flaymboyant to be fully understood by the largely conservative American audience, MIKA fits best with people who, like their idol, don’t fit into a niche.

It is with this understanding that listeners should appreciate his latest detour: MIKA Radio. The first episode went live July 5 and is an intimate glimpse into MIKA’s profoundly varied inspiration. Without giving it all away, tuning into MIKA Radio is like sitting in a comfortable armchair with your favorite artist and hearing him talk about his passions, inspirations, likes, dislikes, and what makes his music take flight.

From Riz Ortolani’s “Oh My Love” to Stephen Sondheim’s “Send in the Clowns” (interpreted by none other than Barbra Streisand) all the way across the spectrum to Sufjan Stevens and Madeon, MIKA’s taste are a kaleidoscope, and I can’t wait for episode 2. Though he hasn’t promised that MIKA Radio will take off with any sort of regularity, you can check out his official website for additional installments along with all things relating to the marvelous MIKA.

http://t.co/ZHrU6CC2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MIKA is an indie/pop contradiction understood by only his most addicted fans the world over. Too bubblegum in his singles for the East Village hipsters, too intellectual in his symphonic arrangements for the Midwestern tweeners, and perhaps just a touch too flaymboyant to be fully understood by the largely conservative American audience, MIKA fits best with people who, like their idol, don’t fit into a niche.

Love it :thumb_yello:

This is brilliant.

Love it :thumb_yello:

This is brilliant.

Exactly :thumb_yello:

wonderful blog! I left a comment. I hope others do too.

Let's hope US people get curious. But I notice MYH is on there. It's a beautiful song and I hope it gets people looking at his work, and at him too.

I hope they check out the podcast too. How dreamy is that speaking voice of his? *Swoons*

And the LOLA Vlog, how gorgeous is he on that? *melts*