French interview for magazine femme actuelle

julia2a

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:bow:I need the translation so much !!

He talks about a Japanese pianist friend, Japanese singer Utada Hikaru ( met @ Grammy awds)... K-pop (Korean-pop) and Madonna !!!!

By the way, how many interviews he had in August and September ?

Ok, I'm up for a challenge today, so I'm going to try to translate it. I hope someone will take a look at once I posted it though... and of course I might give up on up halfway... but I'll try :blush-anim-cl:

i'll definitely read it! :thumb_yello:

With edits from Kaito:

Mika: "Love can be a real drug"

After 2 hit-albums, Mika’s back with the 3rd one, very promising. Not only writes he cheerful hits, Mika is also a cultivated and adorable man that is worth discovering.

Slender silhouette, beige trousers and white shirt, Mika has a classic look in the private room of a grand palace at l'avenue Montaigne. He cites Cocteau, the American artist Alexandre Calder, as well as Japanese popstars... all without any snobbery, simply because he likes sharing what inspires him. To be honest, we wish all interviews with stars would be so fluent, pleasant and open to the world... Finally a singer whose favourite subject of conversation is not necessarily himself!

Since this is the title of your new album: what is the origin of love?

I didn't know while I was writing it and is still don't know. If you're religious, it can be God, I suppose... On my album, it's simply a narrative of all the transformations that occur in me when a new relationship is born. Sometimes, I feel crushed by that love, sometimes enterprising, then very soft... It's a big mixture. I realized that I need desire to write. Until December 2010 I didn't have a single song, none at all. It's a new love that inspired me.

Can we compare being in love to inspiration, exactly?

Yes, it's two forms of ecstasy that are very comparable. And often, the more you look for it, the less you find it. To capture a new song, like someone's look, gives you value... It gives you wings. Love really is a drug, sometimes, like I have written on the album. You can be addicted to it, like to cigarettes or chocolate.

Is it a wink to the song 'Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk' of Rufus Wainwright?

Absolutely! I am a fan of his music and his texts. I've also chosen to work with one of his old produces. It is rare to see artists like him, who really make a difference.

You have sold 8 million albums, which gives you both a certain freedom and a certain pressure. How do those two realities come to terms with each other in your mind?

It's not obvious. I try to live with it one day at a time, it's not always easy, but I manage to put up with it. I think that I'm not where I should be, in a room of a grand hotel... Rather, I should give my interviews at Chez Michou, in Montmartre, laughing with cabaret artists. (Laughs.) When I made my second album, I wanted to isolate myself completely in the creation, it was my way to react to the overexposure to the media. In retrospect, I think it wasn't the best choice. On the contrary, for the new album, I've wanted to find back a naive joy, a certain abandonment, follow my intuition. Now I find a better defence in the absurd, like the surrealistic poets.

The absurd was their last defence against the horrors of war. You are of Lebanese origin. Do you think that the world is still in the same tension that it was in 30 years ago?

Yes, the general climate is still difficult. Therefore, even though it's not the solution to everything, people need to find back a sense of amusement, of play... I have the impression that my coloured side, playful and a bit anarchist, in the end is more rebellious today, in 2012, than if I made big noisy rock. My attitude is less accepted, it's more out of the usual frameworks.

Your look has made many men dare to wear lively colours again. Today, your outfit is classic. Is it the new trend of Mika?

No, I still love colours, because they represent emotions. It's all an arsenal of feelings, wavelengths, with which I love to play. I cannot let a graphics designer choose the colour of my album for me, I think it's too important of a message.

How are you going to approach your 30st (he just turned 29)? In astrology, it's the famous "return of Saturn", where one makes the first life review...

I don't think I have built anything. Obviously, my material life is easier than it was six years ago. But that can also stop, or slow down... The only thing I'm certain of, is that when I go on stage, it's going to be allright. There, I'm confident.

Yoy have worked on three songs in French with the author Doriand, how did you know him?

Through the people of my record company in France, Barclay, where he also brought out albums. Doriand is a strange creature, and a true author for 100%. Everything he sees can transform into a text. When we spend time together, we amuse ourselves like 9 year old kids, it's refreshing.

You have done a duet that is rare for a western artist, you have sung with the Japanese megastar Utada Hikaru.

Yes, I knew her because of my Japanese pianiste, when studied singing. A few years later, I was at an evening of the Grammy awards, at a table with the bosses of Universal, when I saw her arrive with her father and manager. The people of Universal didn't see who she was. I explained them: "Euh, it's a huge star, she has solved 51 million records..." I invited her to our table, we spent a super nice evening and, afterwards, we have seen each other from time to time. I'm shocked to see how little interest people in the west have for what happens in Asia. I don't see why that would have less value than western pop. You only have to watch the videos of K-pop (Korean pop)! They can teach us, they make great productions with budgets that are so much smaller than ours. It's better to ask yourself such questions...

I cannot ignore... You have worked on the latest Madonna album. What did you think of it?

Ah, you have guessed that that would embarrass me? (Laughs.) Eh good, ok, Madonna is part of the artists that should go look at what happens in Korea. There are certainly composers that have songs for her.

And the caption of the picture:

Family, I love you

He is close to his brothers and sisters. The accident of his big sister Paloma (in the flower dress), victim of a fall of four floors in the fall of 2010, necessarily upset him. Mika does not hesitate to take a plane often to visit her. Like he wrote on his blog: (and then the thank you he wrote on his blog some time ago)

Edited by smokesignal

Ok, first try at translating an interview from a language that I don't know very well to another language that's not my mother tongue either.

please, if someone can come up with a proper translation of the first two lines, can't get further than:

After two successful albums, the small third comes, carrying many promises. In addition to writing great songs, Mika is a grown-up and adorable boy that wins by being famous.

Mika: "Love can be a real drug"

... introduction part that I don't quite get...

Slender silhouette, beige trousers and white shirt, Mika has a classic look in the private room of a grand palace at l'avenue Montaigne. He cites Cocteau, the American artist Alexandre Calder, as well as Japanese popstars... all without any snobbery, simply because he likes sharing what inspires him. To be honest, we wish all interviews with stars would be so fluent, pleasant and open to the world... Finally a singer whose favourite subject of conversation is not necessarily himself!

Since this is the title of your new album: what is the origin of love?

I didn't know while I was writing it and is still don't know. If you're religious, it can be God, I suppose... On my album, it's simply a narrative of all the transformations that occur in me when a new relationship is born. Sometimes, I feel crushed by that love, sometimes enterprising, then very soft... It's a big mixture. I realized that I need desire to write. Until December 2010 I didn't have a single song, none at all. It's a new love that inspired me.

Can we compare being in love to inspiration, exactly?

Yes, it's two forms of ecstasy that are very comparable. And often, the more you look for it, the less you find it. To capture a new song, like someone's look, gives you value... It gives you wings. Love really is a drug, sometimes, like I have written on the album. You can be addicted to it, like to cigarettes or chocolate.

Is it a wink to the song 'Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk' of Rufus Wainwright?

Absolutely! I am a fan of his music and his texts. I've also chosen to work with one of his old produces. It is rare to see artists like him, who really make a difference.

You have sold 8 million albums, which gives you both a certain freedom and a certain pressure. How do those two realities come to terms with each other in your mind?

It's not obvious. I try to live with it one day at a time, it's more or less easy (I think it means sometimes it's difficult, sometimes it's easy, but I'm not sure. Perhaps a French person can explain?). I think that I'm not where I should be, in a room of a grand hotel... Rather, I should give my interviews at Chez Michou, in Montmartre, laughing with cabaret artists. (Laughs.) When I made my second album, I wanted to isolate myself completely in the creation, it was my way to react to the overexposure to the media. In retrospect, I think it wasn't the best choice. On the contrary, for the new album, I've wanted to find back a naive joy, a certain abandonment, follow my intuition. Now I find a better defence in the absurd, like the surrealistic poets.

The absurd was their last defence against the horrors of war. You are of Lebanese origin. Do you think that the world is still in the same tension that it was in 30 years ago?

Yes, the general climate is still difficult. Therefore, even though it's not the solution to everything, people need to find back a sense of amusement, of play... I have the impression that my coloured side, playful and a bit anarchist, in the end is more rebellious today, in 2012, than if I made big noisy rock. My attitude is less accepted, it's more out of the usual frameworks.

Your look has made many men dare to wear lively colours again. Today, your outfit is classic. Is it the new trend of Mika?

No, I still love colours, because they represent emotions. It's all an arsenal of feelings, wavelengths, with which I love to play. I cannot let a graphics designer choose the colour of my album for me, I think it's too important of a message.

How are you going to approach your 30st (he just turned 29)? In astrology, it's the famous "return of Saturn", where one makes the first life review...

I don't think I have built anything. Obviously, my material life is easier than it was six years ago. But that can also stop, or slow down... The only thing I'm certain of, is that when I go on stage, it's going to be allright. There, I'm confident.

Yoy have worked on three songs in French with the author Doriand, how did you know him?

Through the people of my record company in France, Barclay, where he also brought out albums. Doriand is a strange creature, and a true author for 100%. Everything he sees can transform into a text. When we spend time together, we amuse ourselves like 9 year old kids, it's refreshing.

You have done a duet that is rare for a western artist, you have sung with the Japanese megastar Utada Hikaru.

Yes, I knew her because of my Japanese pianiste, when studied singing. A few years later, I was at an evening of the Grammy awards, at a table with the bosses of Universal, when I saw her arrive with her father and manager. The people of Universal didn't see who she was. I explained them: "Euh, it's a huge star, she has solved 51 million records..." I invited her to our table, we spent a super nice evening and, afterwards, we have seen each other from time to time. I'm shocked to see how little interest people in the west have for what happens in Asia. I don't see why that would have less value than western pop. You only have to watch the videos of K-pop (Korean pop)! They can teach us, they make hyper licked (for want of a better word, slick?) productions with budgets that are so much smaller than ours. It's better to ask yourself such questions...

I cannot ignore... You have worked on the latest Madonna album. What did you think of it?

Ah, you have guessed that that would embarrass me? (Laughs.) Eh good, ok, Madonna is part of the artists that should go look at what happens in Korea. There are certainly composers that have songs for her.

And the caption of the picture:

Family, I love you

He is close to his brothers and sisters. The accident of his big sister Paloma (in the flower dress), victim of a fall of four floors in the fall of 2010, necessarily upset him. Mika does not hesitate to take a plane often to visit her. Like he wrote on his blog: (and then the thank you he wrote on his blog some time ago)

That's really good. Whatever would we do without our wonderful translators? Thank you so much!

That's really good. Whatever would we do without our wonderful translators? Thank you so much!

Thanks, although I'm still hoping for a proper French-speaking person to check it, as my French doesn't really exceed highschool level. Fortunately neither does Mika's :teehee: (ok his French is a LOT better than mine, but still easier to understand than the real deal).

For the intro : TRANSLATION :

After 2 hit-albums, Mika’s back with the 3rd one, very promising. Not only writes he cheerful hits, Mika is also a cultivated and adorable man that is worth discovering.

Great work smokesignal ! :thumb_yello:

"hyperleché" means that it was really well made ;)

They make great productions with smaller budgets.

"plus ou moins" facile => It means it isn't always easy but he manages to put up with it.

I'm shocked to see how little interest people in the west have for what happens in Asia. I don't see why that would have less value than western pop. You only have to watch the videos of K-pop (Korean pop)! They can teach us, they make hyper licked (for want of a better word, slick?) productions with budgets that are so much smaller than ours. It's better to ask yourself such questions...

so so happy whenever he mentions my home country from far away... :wub2:

so so happy whenever he mentions my home country from far away... :wub2:

He received a warm welcome there, didn't he ? :) Well, I'm sure we'll be hearing more and more from S. Korea in the future 'cause Kpop is getting more popular each year and dramas promote Korea around the world~ *yeah*

I listen to Korea, music myself but... I'm just curious about what Korean artists he was pointing out :P

The thing that annoys me about Kpop is that bands never play music instruments... it's mainly electronic and I can't feel anything authentic :'( So, as Mika sees the sincerity as a huge matter... i'm really curious WHO he was talking about :'>

He received a warm welcome there, didn't he ? :) Well, I'm sure we'll be hearing more and more from S. Korea in the future 'cause Kpop is getting more popular each year and dramas promote Korea around the world~ *yeah*

I listen to Korea, music myself but... I'm just curious about what Korean artists he was pointing out :P

The thing that annoys me about Kpop is that bands never play music instruments... it's mainly electronic and I can't feel anything authentic :'( So, as Mika sees the sincerity as a huge matter... i'm really curious WHO he was talking about :'>

Me too... actually years ago I've fed up with Kpop idols... they're more like well-made merchandise than true artist who can put their soul in their songs... I love more 'authentic' Korean artists instead... so wonder which part he pointed in this interview :naughty:

But one apparent thing is... I can find many crosspoints between Kpops (not Kpop idols, but general Kpop) and Mika's song style... that's the reason many Koreans love Mika's music all.... the melody.. .flow...so much like Kpop.. especially 90's Kpop what I love (and todays 20's love) so much... :wub2:

For the intro : TRANSLATION :

Great work smokesignal ! :thumb_yello:

"hyperleché" means that it was really well made ;)

They make great productions with smaller budgets.

"plus ou moins" facile => It means it isn't always easy but he manages to put up with it.

Thank you! I changed the translation.