Mika on RTL.fr (17/09/2012)

Lucrezia

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd guest of RTL evening : Mika

Good evening, Mika ! We're happy to have you here to talk about your 3rd album.

M : It's a pleasure

We've know you for a while as it's already been 7 years since the 1st CD.

M: It's surprising, isn't it?

Yeah

M: For me, it doesn't sound like it was 7 years ago..It sounds like *I don't know...* 3-4 years ago, something like that maybe ?

It was 7 years ago and at the same time, it feels like you have quietened now. I have you in front of me tonight, dressed up in blue, you're done with the crazy wayward lock. When you listen to the Cd* we'll talk about it later*, you see a less eccentric Mika.

M : It's a kind of evolution with what I'm doing.

Have you changed a lot Mika ?

Me, in my life, in my attitude, no, absolutely not, I work as I used to..I'm still surrounded by the same people.

You're the same, according to you ?

I'm exactly the same.

But has the success calmed you down you or has it made you freak out?

After 2 years of touring with the 2nd CD, it meant that nearly 5 years of my life had been spent on the road or recording Cds... I woke up one day, I had no gig and no CD to record and I wondered "What do I do now ?" And before that, I was at school. I was at college and I was waiter at the same time, that's what I was doing so I always had something.

Thus, I sat at the piano without pressure, withotu timeline and I thought "I'm gonna write" but if course, I couldn't, I was completely blocked. For a year & a half, I couldn't write a song. And now, I realize why. It's actually because, when you ask me if I have changed, ... Well, in my life, I really don't feel any different, I feel the same as the guy that began singing when I was 12 with my 1st job, but I realize that, with all the things that happened, I started thinking of what people'd say of what I write (Yeah, I understand, and it wasn't a form of sincerity anymore as you thought of the way it could be interpreted) Exactly and when you start to think of it, it destroys everything, it destroys all the potential of what we can write. And I felt like what I've been doing since I was a kid, had been destroyed. And so, it took time and then, life hit me on the head. And of coruse, the first thing you do is blaming everyone around you. So, I blamed my family, I lost lots of relationships with my friends, personal relationships, and even with my family, we fell out a lot and it was just because I was angry for not being able to sit at the piano and write.

And you say, "after, life hit me on the head", you allude to a drama, your sister had a serious accident, she fell off the 4th floor and impaled herself ... Fortunately, she could survive. (Yeah) And so, you needed to write to escape this reality ...

I was there when my sis had her accident, I saw her, I found her on the railings and when you"re in such a situation, it's impossible to have any ego.The proudness and so on flies away because it can't be of any help when you're in front of someone in this situation. And it was really the ebginning fo this feeling where .. I somehow deconstructed myself and then I opened myself again to write. And a few months after that, I thought "It's enough and I'm leaving", the same way I escaped with the 1st album: I pack all my stuff and I go away.

Did you leave physically ?

I physically left. I met someone called "Nick Littlemore " from a group the Empire of the Sun and I thought that I couldn't just sat at the piano on my own, I wanted to surround myself of musicians, people, as if I were in a band. Instead of being a solo artist, I wanted to surroudn myself with people that can inspire me.

But is your sister better now ?

She's doing much better. yeah. She has spent a year and a half in a hospital, a year in intensive care and now, she starting to learn to walk again. Some parts of her legs won't ever work again but she'll be able to have a normal life. Honestly, it's a miracle..Unexpected..

Has she listened to the CD ?

I didn't let her listen to it until last week.

And what does she think about it ?

She freaked out...

Why ?

She loved it.

Ah, She loved it then.

yeah, She loved it. ... because I think that.. She hated me for a few months, I think... because I escaped fromp her situation. I'm really close with this sisters, we've been working together for years.. I didnt let her listen to the demos, I didn't want her to hear them... But she was also in a strange situation. She was in a hospital, she had many painkillers in her body for months and it wasn't really the same person anymore. I coudl see in a eyes that she wasn't herself, she was really under influence. She had some kind of rage, speading such a logn time in a hospital, you're being an angel and 30 seconds later, you turn into the devil...

XXX Fogiel chat

And today, all is well. Life has kept on going.

Yeah, life went on and weirdly, it's all better now, even for her and for us all, better than before the accident...

With this promo for this CD, about love, we talk a lot about you. We've been talking about you for a long time, everyone has been asking you about your sexual preferences and now, you've said it, were you fed up with this question ? Or are you simply better about yourself ?

Because I'm happy.

And so, you say it because there's nothing to hide.

There's nothing to hide because I'mp happy. Frankly, I've never lived my life differently, I never pretended to be someone else.

But when you played with ambiguity and now, there's no more ambiguity..

Ambuigity is more complex than that. It lies in the lyrics, in the way I behave on stage...And it's an interesting ambiguitu with which I always play...

Is Mika in Love ?

Ooooh... this question.

Aaah it's love, you're the one making an album about love, not me !

(Laugh~ eee Yes)

It's a little "yes", don't you think ?

Yes.. Yes..YEEEEESS, Yeees - LAUGH (I'm in love)

Aaah it's much better. In France, gay marriage'll be possible. What doyou think of it ?

I think it's great. I think it's really important. Personally, I'm not really stuck with the idea of a traditionnal wedding in a church but having ...

but having the same rights as everyone... yeah

And notably children ?

And Kids... (interrupted)

Do you think of having children ?

Having kids ? (Yeah) ... I'd like to (His voice :wub2:) But these rights are essential. It's essential, we shouldn't even debate it, it's compeletly simple.. How can you justify that it should be different ?

About the news...We don't often hear you talking about your homecountry, Lebanon. You were born in Beirout and your motehr is also Lebanese.

My mother is Syrian-Lebanese.

Do you stull have family in Syria ?

Yes, I have some family in Damas and friends in XX and everyone is worried about them.

And do you think Assad should leave ?

I think that yeah, he has to go, absolutely...

With this CD, you talk a lot about culture, religionn, tolerance, we'll somehow talk about the same thema...

Are you a believer ?

I'm not necessarily really religious. I write a colomn in Republica XL each month. I often talk about the religious conservatism that you can find in Italy. I'm really frustrated by the Roman Catholic religion...I grew up in a Roman Catholic but also Maronite house and even if I'm not really at ease with that, I think it has really a place in our life. For, when I get in a church, I feel really at ease, even if I know that "politicaly" I'm not exactly the "ideal case"...But at the same time, this faith...

And you have that faith...

I have a kind of faith and it helps me in my life...

But the religious policies... If they insist to remain in the Middle-Age, it's amusing to make fun of it...

I'm sorry for typing mistakes, I'll check it tomorrow but I didn't have much time left before the curfew :'(

(I'm back at the dorm in Brussels ><)

Edited by Kaito

Tomorrow morning Mika @ RTL at 9 am!

Anthony Martin Anthony Martin ‏@AnthoMa

Demain 9h : Mika en direct pendant 30mn sur #RTL dans «Laissez-Vous Tenter»!! Il parlera Musique, Cinéma, Littérature et TV (@mikasounds )

here it is http://www.rtl.fr/video/timeline/laissez-vous-tenter-du-20-septembre-2012-avec-mika-7752617013

He looks so cold and tired...

Edit: it's actually quite a long and interesting interview (as far as I can understand it :teehee:) so I'm going to put it in a separate thread. I hope you don't mind.

Here: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3799521

Edited by smokesignal

• 10 years later...