Interview by FaceCulture 17-09-2012

smokesignal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such an amazing interview, one of the best in my opinion! He seems really honest, I loved what he said about his songs being subversive, the 'vomit' line is priceless and Paloma is a tough bitch indeed, with all the things she's been through! I hope she's getting better every day:wub2:

I also love the way he explained Heroes. I really disliked that song at first but it grew to be one of my favourites! Thank you for posting!:thumb_yello:

I didn't realize it last night, but this interview is actually really good news promotion-wise. These guys are part of one of the the major Dutch news websites:

http://www.nu.nl/muziek/2912451/goede-songs-komen-als-braaksel-mika.html

The Dutch is basically just a translation of what Mika says, plus they mention celebrate as the first single, and say that the sound resembles the sound on his debut album???

I guess they haven't listened to it then. :doh:

Parts of it are in that video, so...

But I guess it comes from the comparison he makes between his first and his third album in that interview. It's funny to read this Dutch 'translation' since I can really see how things he says get misinterpreted, or made a little bigger. He said that his sister fell out of a window and he was there. They translated it as him seeing his sister fall out of the window. And there's more tiny nuances in there that are not exactly spot on.

Parts of it are in that video, so...

But I guess it comes from the comparison he makes between his first and his third album in that interview. It's funny to read this Dutch 'translation' since I can really see how things he says get misinterpreted, or made a little bigger. He said that his sister fell out of a window and he was there. They translated it as him seeing his sister fall out of the window. And there's more tiny nuances in there that are not exactly spot on.

The thing is you have to understand Mika-speak to really interpret everything he says properly and being proficient in English and Dutch is not necessarily going to help. :naughty: Like he said something about finding Paloma and most people are going to take that to mean that he was the first one on the scene to come to her aid, meaning he was there when she fell. What he probably meant was that when he arrived he was shocked to see her (find her) in such a state of distress and not able to help.

The thing is you have to understand Mika-speak to really interpret everything he says properly and being proficient in English and Dutch is not necessarily going to help. :naughty: Like he said something about finding Paloma and most people are going to take that to mean that he was the first one on the scene to come to her aid, meaning he was there when she fell. What he probably meant was that when he arrived he was shocked to see her (find her) in such a state of distress and not able to help.

I know. He's the absolute master at talking a lot without giving any actual information. If he's done with making music, he should become a politician :naughty:

He has been more explicit about this particular incident in the past, so I would say this translation doesn't make sense. As for the other translations... I don't know. They're reading little bits of information between the lines, but that doesn't mean that information is meant to be in there, or that it's correct. It might be, but we don't know. Only one person knows, right? I mentioned it because I thought it was funny to see it happen.

He has been more explicit about this particular incident in the past, so I would say this translation doesn't make sense.

But this misinterpretation is happening with native speakers as well. Sure Mika has elaborated in the past about this incident but unless you are stalking his every word for several years (:mf_rosetinted:) you don't have that context and it's very easy to misunderstand. I even had to stop and think about what his word choice really meant because it didn't jibe with the story he wrote about being awoken at home with the news.

But this misinterpretation is happening with native speakers as well. Sure Mika has elaborated in the past about this incident but unless you are stalking his every word for several years (:mf_rosetinted:) you don't have that context and it's very easy to misunderstand. I even had to stop and think about what his word choice really meant because it didn't jibe with the story he wrote about being awoken at home with the news.

Christine, I think we agree completely.

By the way, Eriko posted a link to a Dutch newspaper that also posted the video.

"INTERVIEW VIDEO : Mika overwint ongeluk, scheiding en writersblock - Muziek - AD http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5602/Muziek/article/detail/3318374/2012/09/18/Mika-overwint-ongeluk-scheiding-en-writersblock.dhtml "

Their headline: Mika overcomes accident, divorce and writer's block.

Christine, I think we agree completely.

By the way, Eriko posted a link to a Dutch newspaper that also posted the video.

"INTERVIEW VIDEO : Mika overwint ongeluk, scheiding en writersblock - Muziek - AD http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5602/Muziek/article/detail/3318374/2012/09/18/Mika-overwint-ongeluk-scheiding-en-writersblock.dhtml "

Their headline: Mika overcomes accident, divorce and writer's block.

What's Mika been hiding from us? :naughty: Translations are funny

One last question, your sister of course had an accident, she recovered before you started making the album?

M no. She was in the hospital for a year and a half. She's now out of hospital.

What role did your music play maybe during her recovery?

M I became a figure of hate for her, in her dark very, you know. When you are in that much pain, she had her entire body reconstructed. Cause she fell from the fourth story and she was on so much like morphine, and crazy painkillers, oxycodone and stuff like that, you know. That she looked at me running away from her, making this album, living another life outside of the hospital walls that she was in, and I became this very, this thing that she just got so angry with. But at the same time I think because I didn't stay there, it gave her this feeling like she couldn't just stay there forever, because we worked together, we've worked together for years. She had to get out of that f****** room. She had to get out of hospital, otherwise she would be left behind. So in a weird way I was a figure of hate, but at the same time I knew that by being this point to get back at, by being this person that she had to get back at, it would propel her forward a little bit. She's learning how to walk again now, and it's amazing, she will have a normal life. She's kind of a bit of a miracle, but still a tough b****.

So still maybe on your next record she'll be there. M yeah

Thank you very much!Thank you very much!Thank you very much!

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

translation in what language?

I'm so clumsy! My ears and my english is horrible and I can’t understand what Mika said in the video. But I can read English, it is easier for me.

Thank you very much for everything!

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2: