Toronto, Ontario CANADA - The Opera House - April 5, 2013 - REPORTS / PICS / VIDEOS

guylainem123

Concert review by Bandspace.com

jr_logo.png

http://bandspace.com/concert_reviews/19365

Who: Mika

Where: The Opera House

When: April 5, 2013

Musical Style: Mika is an internationally acclaimed British singer-songwriter. If you don’t know who he is, well then…you’ve been missing out. His unique sound is remarkably undated and would make as much sense in twenty years as it would have made in the 1920’s. We hesitate to put a label on his very original musical style. Natural talent and years of classical training have shaped Mika into a real musician, one that has a vocal range of five octaves and an organic and seamless connection to his piano.

Stage Persona: Clad in a theatrical blue velvet jacket and a boater hat that came on just at the right moment, Mika is a natural entertainer who understands the relationship between an artist and his audience consists of teasing and pleasing. The stage of The Opera House in Toronto was the perfect venue to showcase Mika’s cabaret voice that at times brought Freddie Mercury’s vocal energy to mind. There was a Tim Burton feel to the decorum that was simple to achieve with three sets of oil lamp chandeliers and highly effective in setting the mood. We could have been anyplace, anytime, perhaps somewhere underground, in a speakeasy during the Prohibition, or, as Mika suggested while performing “The Origin of Love” (the title song of his new album), in Thailand, in the 1950’s. If the gift of a complete artist is the ability to transpose his audience and set imagination wild, well, then Mika has this gift by leaps and bounds.

The Crowd: There was an eclectic mix of stylish and good looking young fans, many from faraway places such as France and Venezuela. Mika played with the audience in between songs, had them sing along for “Elle M’a Dit”, “Happy Ending” and “Underwater” and got them to snap their fingers during “Lollipop”. Overall, the audience was enthusiastic and supportive.

Highlight of the Show: There were many high points during Mika’s show, our personal favourite being the three people on a piano interlude during “The Tap Dancing Song” an exuberant piece he wrote to honour his brief flirtation with tap dancing before getting kicked out for being “a **** dancer”. Good joke, but we don’t believe you, Mika! Your casual but charming moves on stage indicate otherwise.

Comments: With his joyous energy and palpable sincerity, Mika is one of the most enjoyable musical experiences we have had. We look forward to the rest of this young musician’s career. It will, no doubt, be epic.

Review By: Cat Ionescu

Photos by toronto photographer: Julian Avram

mika_1.jpg

mika_2.jpg

mika_3.jpg

mika_4.jpg

mika_5.jpg

mika_6.jpg

mika_7.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All these reviews just melts my heart :swoon:

And here's another one :wub2:

http://www.weraddicted.com/the-magic-of-mika/

The Magic of Mika

One does not simply enter the Opera House for a Mika performance. Rather, one experiences it through all five senses: the sweaty smell of a venue packed with gyrating, clapping bodies; the pounding, vibrating bass; a backlit stage illuminating a large-scale dinner club set; the touch of something magical in the air; and a powerful voice that rises into an aching falsetto. This London-bred musician brought it, and he brought it in spades.

Playing with only two musicians, Mika strutted onstage to thunderous applause and kicked off the show with his biggest hit, Grace Kelly. Not that the crowd needed any urging to ramp up the volume, but our boy wonder elicited more from them anyway, alternating between pointing the microphone at the audience to hear them sing and beckoning them to be louder from his piano perch. Mika is one singing pianist who really knows how to work an audience: when he twice asked someone in the front what time they’d arrived and received no answer, he left the mic in its stand and walked over to find the fan- surprisingly- couldn’t hear him. “So, you arrived at 2:00 in the afternoon to get to the front to take the one position where the only thing you can actually see is my feet. And you can’t even hear me- that’s really ****ed!”

Showing the same biting humour throughout his set, he lovingly talked about the his choice in pianos. “The other day, I got into trouble describing grand pianos like the women in my family,” he began. “Now, we’ve got all types here, from pristine, beautiful grand Steinways that don’t like to be played too rough, to sassy dirty bitches who only like it rough.”

While that ribald aphorism may have been directed at the ebony and ivory keys his fingers danced over all night, it could be equally aptly used in describing everyone who came out to see him. The audience was incredibly diverse, with fans ranging from young to old, short to tall, gay, straight, and every ethnicity in between. And perhaps that’s where the real magic of Mika lies- he has an ability to take songs with messages of love and acceptance that would be cheesy bubblegum pop in lesser hands and morph them into something uplifting and inspiring that transcends all boundaries and draws people together. Whether he’s crooning in French in Emily or telling women they’re beautiful as they are in Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), there’s something in every song that people can relate to.

Throughout the evening, it was often harder to tell who showed more affection: performer or listener. Mika repeatedly professed his love for the city, either by recounting a story of how, in preparation for one of his first tours, his Toronto fans essentially created his set, or in subtler ways such as giving every ounce of energy in his soul for each song. In return, his followers showed no shyness with their feelings by clapping, screaming and singing along to every song. This is truly one artist who’s appreciated by his audience and always welcome in a city that’s notoriously picky for who it lets into their collective heart.

Set List:

1. Grace Kelly

2. Toy Boy

3. Lollipop

4. Blue Eyes

5. Billy Brown

6. Popular Song

7. Love You When I’m Drunk

8. Underwater

9. The Only Lonely One

10. Stuck in the Middle

11. Emily

12. (unnamed song written just for the Toronto tour)

13. Origin of Love

14. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

15. Stardust

16. Take it Easy

17. Lola

18. Happy Ending

19. Celebrate

20. Everybody’s Gonna Love Today

21. Losing My Babe (:teehee:)

Concert review by Bandspace.com

jr_logo.png

http://bandspace.com/concert_reviews/19365

Who: Mika

Where: The Opera House

When: April 5, 2013

Musical Style: Mika is an internationally acclaimed British singer-songwriter. If you don’t know who he is, well then…you’ve been missing out. His unique sound is remarkably undated and would make as much sense in twenty years as it would have made in the 1920’s. We hesitate to put a label on his very original musical style. Natural talent and years of classical training have shaped Mika into a real musician, one that has a vocal range of five octaves and an organic and seamless connection to his piano.

Stage Persona: Clad in a theatrical blue velvet jacket and a boater hat that came on just at the right moment, Mika is a natural entertainer who understands the relationship between an artist and his audience consists of teasing and pleasing. The stage of The Opera House in Toronto was the perfect venue to showcase Mika’s cabaret voice that at times brought Freddie Mercury’s vocal energy to mind. There was a Tim Burton feel to the decorum that was simple to achieve with three sets of oil lamp chandeliers and highly effective in setting the mood. We could have been anyplace, anytime, perhaps somewhere underground, in a speakeasy during the Prohibition, or, as Mika suggested while performing “The Origin of Love” (the title song of his new album), in Thailand, in the 1950’s. If the gift of a complete artist is the ability to transpose his audience and set imagination wild, well, then Mika has this gift by leaps and bounds.

The Crowd: There was an eclectic mix of stylish and good looking young fans, many from faraway places such as France and Venezuela. Mika played with the audience in between songs, had them sing along for “Elle M’a Dit”, “Happy Ending” and “Underwater” and got them to snap their fingers during “Lollipop”. Overall, the audience was enthusiastic and supportive.

Highlight of the Show: There were many high points during Mika’s show, our personal favourite being the three people on a piano interlude during “The Tap Dancing Song” an exuberant piece he wrote to honour his brief flirtation with tap dancing before getting kicked out for being “a **** dancer”. Good joke, but we don’t believe you, Mika! Your casual but charming moves on stage indicate otherwise.

Comments: With his joyous energy and palpable sincerity, Mika is one of the most enjoyable musical experiences we have had. We look forward to the rest of this young musician’s career. It will, no doubt, be epic.

Review By: Cat Ionescu

Photos by toronto photographer: Julian Avram

mika_1.jpg

mika_2.jpg

Great review and pics, thanks for posting Eriko!

"We look forward to the rest of this young musician’s career. It will, no doubt, be epic". This phrase is so true!

All these reviews just melts my heart :swoon:

And here's another one :wub2:

http://www.weraddicted.com/the-magic-of-mika/

The Magic of Mika

One does not simply enter the Opera House for a Mika performance. Rather, one experiences it through all five senses: the sweaty smell of a venue packed with gyrating, clapping bodies; the pounding, vibrating bass; a backlit stage illuminating a large-scale dinner club set; the touch of something magical in the air; and a powerful voice that rises into an aching falsetto. This London-bred musician brought it, and he brought it in spades.

Playing with only two musicians, Mika strutted onstage to thunderous applause and kicked off the show with his biggest hit, Grace Kelly. Not that the crowd needed any urging to ramp up the volume, but our boy wonder elicited more from them anyway, alternating between pointing the microphone at the audience to hear them sing and beckoning them to be louder from his piano perch. Mika is one singing pianist who really knows how to work an audience: when he twice asked someone in the front what time they’d arrived and received no answer, he left the mic in its stand and walked over to find the fan- surprisingly- couldn’t hear him. “So, you arrived at 2:00 in the afternoon to get to the front to take the one position where the only thing you can actually see is my feet. And you can’t even hear me- that’s really ****ed!”

Showing the same biting humour throughout his set, he lovingly talked about the his choice in pianos. “The other day, I got into trouble describing grand pianos like the women in my family,” he began. “Now, we’ve got all types here, from pristine, beautiful grand Steinways that don’t like to be played too rough, to sassy dirty bitches who only like it rough.”

While that ribald aphorism may have been directed at the ebony and ivory keys his fingers danced over all night, it could be equally aptly used in describing everyone who came out to see him. The audience was incredibly diverse, with fans ranging from young to old, short to tall, gay, straight, and every ethnicity in between. And perhaps that’s where the real magic of Mika lies- he has an ability to take songs with messages of love and acceptance that would be cheesy bubblegum pop in lesser hands and morph them into something uplifting and inspiring that transcends all boundaries and draws people together. Whether he’s crooning in French in Emily or telling women they’re beautiful as they are in Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), there’s something in every song that people can relate to.

Throughout the evening, it was often harder to tell who showed more affection: performer or listener. Mika repeatedly professed his love for the city, either by recounting a story of how, in preparation for one of his first tours, his Toronto fans essentially created his set, or in subtler ways such as giving every ounce of energy in his soul for each song. In return, his followers showed no shyness with their feelings by clapping, screaming and singing along to every song. This is truly one artist who’s appreciated by his audience and always welcome in a city that’s notoriously picky for who it lets into their collective heart.

Set List:

1. Grace Kelly

2. Toy Boy

3. Lollipop

4. Blue Eyes

5. Billy Brown

6. Popular Song

7. Love You When I’m Drunk

8. Underwater

9. The Only Lonely One

10. Stuck in the Middle

11. Emily

12. (unnamed song written just for the Toronto tour)

13. Origin of Love

14. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

15. Stardust

16. Take it Easy

17. Lola

18. Happy Ending

19. Celebrate

20. Everybody’s Gonna Love Today

21. Losing My Babe (:teehee:)

Losing my babe :lmfao:

It's so bittersweet hearing these great reviews and stories about what he said on stage because it feels like I wasn't there. I don't think I coukd have been any closer to Mika if I was standing on stage with him and yet could barely understand what was going on. :aah: It's like some out of body experience hearing what other people experienced. I'm glad they mentioned the bit about Toronto fans building the set so I know I didn't just dream it. :naughty:

Mika is one singing pianist who really knows how to work an audience: when he twice asked someone in the front what time they’d arrived and received no answer, he left the mic in its stand and walked over to find the fan- surprisingly- couldn’t hear him. “So, you arrived at 2:00 in the afternoon to get to the front to take the one position where the only thing you can actually see is my feet. And you can’t even hear me- that’s really ****ed!”

That was us .. couldn't hear what he was saying my friend stephanie and I. Later just before Stardust he ask Stephanie for her red feather boa. You can see it in several pics and videos. We couldn't believe how lucky we were to have theses special moments with him.

The day after, in Montreal, still front row (so that means another day freezing in the cold) we put some feathers stage. He took them and said: Il y a une poule à Montréal qui perd ses plumes. (There is a chick in Montreal losing its feathers. And look at us and said: Oh hello , we saw each other yesterday? Where are you from ? We answered Montreal .. He was like: Ohhhhh I see. When asking the crowd to close their eyes at some point, he said don't worry I can't reach you ... And then look at steph and Said: I can catch La poule and made a move like he was catching her. Everybody laughed.

While in Toronto we met some MFC members : Christine, Ginette and her co-workers, sorry I don't remember all of your names. We shared the cold, some coffee at the coffee shop ... (thank god for this shop!!) we had so much fun!

It was the first time attending two gigs in the same tour.. will do it again :-):naughty:

Will put some pics in the Montreal thread. Don't have much from Toronto.