Learning Italian @MFC? Now you can!

robertina

• 2 weeks later...

Che vuoi dire per "prendi 10..."?

Y grazie per la correzione! Non c'è facile per me di fare la differenza entre l'imperfetto e il passato prossimo! (più le altre cose como l'accordo etc etc)

e che è la differenza entre "e" e "ed" ???

The evaluation system in Italian schools is based on a "1 to 10" scale: 1 the worse vote, 6 is the minimun for approval, 10 is the maximum. When i wish you a "10" I wish your exam had no mistakes at all and you got the maximum vote.

About your grammar questions:

the use of the so called "imperfetto" or "trapassato remoto" (imperfetto ESSERE/AVERE + participio passato): these tenses mean a lasting action or situation, they are the typical narration tenses. You always have to choose the singular or plural verb, but the gender is required only for the "trapassato remoto"

"E" ed "ED" (but we could say the same for "A/AD, O/OD) are exactly identical, the only difference is in the sound of the sentence.

We use the additional "D" when the following word begins by vocal, but this is not mandatory and depends mostly on the speaker's taste. We say "AD esempio", but we can say both "A Enrico" and "AD Enrico".

I'm not a teacher but if I was I'd certainly not consider a mistake the missing final "D"

Edited by zia Giovi

Che vuoi dire per "prendi 10..."?

Y grazie per la correzione! Non c'è facile per me di fare la differenza entre l'imperfetto e il passato prossimo! (più le altre cose como l'accordo etc etc)

e che è la differenza entre "e" e "ed" ???

The evaluation system in Italian schools is based on a "1 to 10" scale: 1 the worse vote, 6 is the minimun for approval, 10 is the maximum. When i wish you a "10" I wish your exam had no mistakes at all and you got the maximum vote.

About your grammar questions:

the use of the so called "imperfetto" or "trapassato remoto" (imperfetto ESSERE/AVERE + participio passato): these tenses mean a lasting action or situation, they are the typical narration tenses. You always have to choose the singular or plural verb, but the gender is required only for the "trapassato remoto"

"E" ed "ED" (but we could say the same for "A/AD, O/OD) are exactly identical, the only difference is in the sound of the sentence.

We use the additional "D" when the following word begins by vocal, but this is not mandatory and depends mostly on the speaker's taste. We say "AD esempio", but we can say both "A Enrico" and "AD Enrico".

I'm not a teacher but I was I'd certainly not consider a mistake the missing final "D"

Perfetto! Clears everything up, thank you thank you thank you! You should actually become a teacher, you're really good at explaining :teehee:

Oh and I hope I have a dieci also... :naughty:

Perfetto! Clears everything up, thank you thank you thank you! You should actually become a teacher, you're really good at explaining :teehee:

Oh and I hope I have a dieci also... :naughty:

Well, thanks :blush-anim-cl:, I hope I deserve your praises!

Whenever you need a non professional Italian teacher, you know where to find me...

• 1 month later...

Hi pupils.

I notice you already are on summer break :wags_finger:

No one goes on summer break before having a end of year exam, ffs! :rollingpin:

So, here we go.

MFC international languages school, italian section, and Rai - Radiotelevisione italiana - are proud to present

:trumpet:Mika and Dario, listening and comprehension test :trumpet:

Intermediate level exam is due on June 22th: from 5 up to 15 minutes dialog, available on Rai1 channel

Advanced final is due on June 23th: a 45 minutes dialog, available on Rai.tv

Please, make sure to fill here the papers to apply within tomorrow, and credit the amount we demand, as exams price isn't included (you better suck it up. You want to learn italian? There you go, you learn the italian way as well.

You're welcome :shun:)

Please pick a tutor among the ones in the list and make contact for further informations.

Robertina

Zia Giovi

Log Lady

Marta

Good luck with that, everybody.

Edited by Elwendin

Hi pupils.

So, here we go.

MFC international languages school, italian section, and Rai - Radiotelevisione italiana - are proud to present

Intermediate level exam is due on June 22th: from 5 up to 15 minutes dialog, available on Rai1 channel

Please, make sure to fill here the papers to apply within tomorrow, and credit the amount we demand, as exams price isn't included (you better suck it up. You want to learn italian? There you go, you learn the italian way as well.

Please pick a tutor among the ones in the list and make contact for further informations.

Robertina

Zia Giovi

Log Lady

Marta

I don't see your name in the tutors list. Are you discharging your Italian teaching duties? :naughty:

I don't see your name in the tutors list. Are you discharging your Italian teaching duties? :naughty:

Oh so not.

I just work at the school administrative office.

I'm the one who collects those few papers. :aah:

Hi pupils.

So, here we go.

Robertina

Zia Giovi

Log Lady

Marta

Oh no but my mind has switched to summer head... Uhm ciao, comment ça va? Muy bien? I forgot Italian nooooo! I'll remember it in September only sorry... :( If you don't believe me I'll go to the doctor tomorrow and give you a paper so that I could skip the exam meh!

Oh so not.

I just work at the school administrative office.

I'm the one who collects those few papers. :aah:

Hey, this is MY job! Really :blink:

Oh no but my mind has switched to summer head... Uhm ciao, comment ça va? Muy bien? I forgot Italian nooooo! I'll remember it in September only sorry... :( If you don't believe me I'll go to the doctor tomorrow and give you a paper so that I could skip the exam meh!

Uhm, let me see... If you skip your exam you'll be automatically rejected, are you aware of this? And you know that you are asking your doctor to issue a false paper, don't you? :wags_finger:

ok, I suppose I'm becoming a real teacher now that I've learnt how to threaten you :naughty:

Hi pupils.

So, here we go.

Robertina

Zia Giovi

Log Lady

Marta

I guess starting this thread won me in that list :naughty:

I'm in, as long as Present Perfect isn't involved. :sneaky2:

Just when I was finally wrapping my mind around Clitics, they hit me with l'ho potutto and mysterious things like that. I think potutto is an adorable word, but I'm deeply confused.

In this school, I must be the slow kid in the corner.

Edited by ceebs

I think potutto is an adorable word

I think that witness and witnesses sound awesome. And truth.

If you drop pottuto and go for potuto we'll drag you out of the corner. :wink2:

I'm in, as long as Present Perfect isn't involved. :sneaky2:

Just when I was finally wrapping my mind around Clitics, they hit me with l'ho potutto and mysterious things like that. I think potutto is an adorable word, but I'm deeply confused.

"Potuto", one "T" only (twice). Funny you think this is an adorable word.

But what's wrong with present perfect? :dunno: it's an innocent tense, our favorite one in Nothern Italy: you learn present perfect and you can ignore all the rest :wink2:

I don't even know what Present Perfect is.

Too much time flew by since I was a student myself.

See? Let me collect papers. I can't teach in a professional way.

I'll take the kids on a school trip though. That, I can handle it. I already have the perfect music for the bus. :mika3:

I think that witness and witnesses sound awesome. And truth.

If you drop pottuto and go for potuto we'll drag you out of the corner. :wink2:

Oops. Potuto. I also just learned tutto, so I got confused.

I'm having trouble linking up the ho/hai with the other verb, and knowing when to use what word. And I can't translate the Italian well either. I'm doing a bad job of explaining this. I'm just confused.

I also love the words spiacente and davvero. They sound so Italian.

I'm having trouble linking up the ho/hai with the other verb, and knowing when to use what word. And I can't translate the Italian well either. I'm doing a bad job of explaining this. I'm just confused.

I came here to write another english word I totally love but I already forgot it. This is how much I loved it :aah:

When it comes to "when to use it" , if you are talking about when to use the past tense, my answer is: whenever you want to talk about something you did or you've been doing.

Just add the verb you need and go ahead.

Mi sono iscritta su MFC

Ho conosciuto un sacco di gente

Alcuni sono diventati miei amici

Ho visto Mika agli show televisivi

Sono sopravvissuta al concerto di Napoli

Mi hanno sgridata alle audizioni di X Factor.

It makes sense when others do it. I just need to keep repeating the lessons. I thought I would never learn clitics, but they have begun to make sense.

Effervescent is one of my favorite English words. And whisper.

It makes sense when others do it. I just need to keep repeating the lessons. I thought I would never learn clitics, but they have begun to make sense.

Effervescent is one of my favorite English words. And whisper.

Oh, I do love whisper as well!!!!

Now I really have to ask, I cannot let you go with two mentions...

What the heck is clitics????

Hi pupils.

So, here we go.

Robertina

Zia Giovi

Log Lady

Marta

:lmfao:

Good luck with that, everybody :group_hug:

Glad this thead is doing so well :thumb_yello:

Late catching up and with a major cold that slows my brain down :doh: so I'l be in English mode tonight, scuzi :blush-anim-cl:

You guys rock :huglove:

Robertina

Zia Giovi

Log Lady

Marta

I'm taking note of my enlistment. One day my log will have something to say about this.

(just joking, I'm happy to help)

The proper use of the "present perfect" is the one Elwendind summed up and it's the same as in English.

Nevertheless, spoken Italian is different from region to region and I never ever use the past tense unless I'm writing a formal letter. Which is wrong, I must admit, but my colleagues would bring me to next hospital if they hear me saying "Ieri arrivai in ufficio in ritardo" :hypo:

When it comes to the link between the main verb and the past participle, I can understand that foreigners find it difficult to choose the main verb because in most of the idioms there's only one option. But we are Italian, we have two! We hate plain and simple things :teehee:, we cannot help it

I suppose there are some complicated rules about the meaning (verbs implying movement usually have "ESSERE" as main verb) and the form (verbs of the 1st conjugation, the ones ending in -are, should use "AVERE" as main verb) in order to choose the right verb. I'm sure rules are overly complicated and non exhaustive, just try to learn the main verbs and the others will come as a consequence

I came here to write another english word I totally love but I already forgot it. This is how much I loved it :aah:

When it comes to "when to use it" , if you are talking about when to use the past tense, my answer is: whenever you want to talk about something you did or you've been doing.

Just add the verb you need and go ahead.

Mi sono iscritta su MFC

Ho conosciuto un sacco di gente

Alcuni sono diventati miei amici

Ho visto Mika agli show televisivi

Sono sopravvissuta al concerto di Napoli

Mi hanno sgridata alle audizioni di X Factor.

I love the words "obnoxious", i think the sound reflects the concept in a remarkable way.

Now come and join the teacher's group, I feel lonely :tears:

the difference between the use of the auxiliary verb ESSERE (to be) and AVERE (to have) in forming the PASSATO PROSSIMO (present perfect) lies in the main verb being TRANSITIVO (followed by a direct object) or INTRANSITIVO (is never followed by a direct object).

ANDARE (to go) is INTRANSITIVO cause it's never followed by a direct object and will form its PASSATO PROSSIMO using ESSERE

io sono andato/a

tu sei andato/a

egli è andato/a

noi siamo andati/e

voi siete andati/e

essi sono andati/e

The PARTICIPIO PASSATO (past participle) shows gender and number according to the subject performing the action.

MANGIARE (to eat) is TRANSITIVO cause it can be followed by a direct object (for example, an apple) and will form its PASSATO PROSSIMO using AVERE

io ho mangiato

tu hai mangiato

egli ha mangiato

noi abbiamo mangiato

voi avete mangiato

essi hanno mangiato

The PARTICIPIO PASSATO is invariable (masculine/singular)

We use PASSATO PROSSIMO when we want to speak about recent facts.

Italians living in Central/southern Italy know how to use PASSATO REMOTO (simple past) and PASSATO PROSSIMO (present perfect) properly, and the use is similar to English.

We in the North never use PASSATO REMOTO in spoken language, we use PASSATO PROSSIMO even when we want to speak about remote stuff.:naughty: