What song are you listening to? (2017)

silver

Songs I am watching on YT:

This is Me (not the version from the movie. The one from the first time Keila sings it)

Live performances of The Circle of Life with all the animal puppets. And the American and Brit versions of the first post-Covid reunion rehearsals of same.

Edited by QueenBigFat

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

This is Me (not the version from the movie. The one from the first time Keila sings it)

Live performances of The Circle of Life with all the animal puppets. And the American and Brit versions of the first post-Covid reunion rehearsals of same.

Very good choices there! Live versions of Circle of Life always make me cry! 😭

Does this mean you're a fan of musicals? 😃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Does this mean you're a fan of musicals? 😃

Omygod yes. Broadway in general. Straight plays too. Very much wanted to act when I was younger. From the early classics, which my parents took me to, like Sound of Music and Fiddler…then West Side Story (sobbing), Chorus Line, Sound of Music, La Mancha (sobbing), Hair, Showboat, La Cage (sobbing)…saw Sammy Davis Jr live in Golden Boy….and The Best Ever, Yul Brenner in The King and I, just a few months before he died. He did this performance with one lung and active lung cancer. Me, Sobbing of course…for many reasons.

Also fortunate to see other performers who have ended up being fantastic stars, in their early days, like Audra McDonald and Brian Stokes Mitchell (who, my wealthy white Aunt said, when we excitedly described his wonderfulness, would never become a leading man. Tee.)

I have not been able to go there for many years, so have missed Wicked, but —-and we may have talked about this—?—was fortunate to see my favorite show evah, Les Miz. My last musical addiction before Mika.

These are such wonderful memories for me. There is really nothing like the experience, the excitement before that curtain goes up. And while there are many, many special moments, I think nothing competes with those opening notes in the Lion King overture when the animals start to appear. Of course I made sure to sit on the isle, and I knew what to expect, but when those voices soared around me, and that elephant lumbered down the isle next to me (shivers)…. My idea of heaven.:yes:

Thank you for giving me a chance to share these wonderful memories, CJ

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

PS CJ, have you watched the post Covid rehearsal videos of Circle of Life?

I haven't, do you have a link?

26 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

Or seen the vid of This is Me?

Yes, this I have seen!

3 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Yul Brenner in The King and I,

Out of your musical experiences this is definitely one I'm most jealous of! Wow, just wow!

3 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Thank you for giving me a chance to share these wonderful memories, CJ

Thanks for sharing! I started getting more of an interest into musical theatre around 6 months ago, I'd like to at least see something this year, both me and my Mum want to see Wicked too!

Phantom of the Opera is my current favourite.

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of musicals, but I do like the version of "You'll never walk alone"  in the film of Carousel. 

And I've seen Guys and Dolls, and West Side Story.

6 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Live versions of Circle of Life always make me cry! 😭

Damn, doesn't even have to be live for me. There's just something about that song. 

I was in the supermarket near Christmas a few years ago, and they had a load of big screen televisions on sale with a big display near the entrance, each one playing a looped reel of various movies. One screen's reel included Circle of Life. I started getting teary so sped past it, did some shopping further in the store out of earshot, then needed to go back for things near the screens. Yes, it was playing that clip again. I bounced back out of earshot for a bit, thought it must be clear now, and went back for my last few items. Rounded the corner into earshot and noooooo, whyyyy??? Spent the next few minutes bobbing in and out like a yoyo trying to avoid a public meltdown just to get my shopping done... :doh: :lol3:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

See this interview from about the 7.15 mark. I mean, watch it all, it's great! But 7.15 on is relevant. :biggrin2: English subtitles courtesy of the MFC subs team. :bow:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, silver said:

Not a huge fan of musicals, but I do like the version of "You'll never walk alone"  in the film of Carousel. 

And I've seen Guys and Dolls, and West Side Story.

Atheist that I am, I love that song. The first 10 times I saw that scene in the movie, with —-her father? Or the angel?—father I think, saying in her ear “I loved you Julie. Know that I loved you”, and then, to his daughter “Believe him”, I am a blubbering mess!

Aw Jeese, silver, look what you made me do. I had to go watch it. Twice.

26 minutes ago, Hero said:

See this interview from about the 7.15 mark. I mean, watch it all, it's great! But 7.15 on is relevant. :biggrin2: English subtitles courtesy of the MFC subs team. :bow:

Sunofabeeeeeech!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Hero said:

Damn, doesn't even have to be live for me. There's just something about that song. 

I was in the supermarket near Christmas a few years ago, and they had a load of big screen televisions on sale with a big display near the entrance, each one playing a looped reel of various movies. One screen's reel included Circle of Life. I started getting teary so sped past it, did some shopping further in the store out of earshot, then needed to go back for things near the screens. Yes, it was playing that clip again. I bounced back out of earshot for a bit, thought it must be clear now, and went back for my last few items. Rounded the corner into earshot and noooooo, whyyyy??? Spent the next few minutes bobbing in and out like a yoyo trying to avoid a public meltdown just to get my shopping done... :doh: :lol3:

I agree. It is a beautiful and profound song. Especially in the time of covid!!!!   For the live version, though, it’s the critters that are doing it to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero said:

See this interview from about the 7.15 mark. I mean, watch it all, it's great! But 7.15 on is relevant. :biggrin2: English subtitles courtesy of the MFC subs team.

Yes, subs team!:cheers:

Hero, did I read him right? That he wrote an early score for Showman that was rejected?

12 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Yes, subs team!:cheers:

Hero, did I read him right? That he wrote an early score for Showman that was rejected?

Pretty much. He wrote music for the original production of the film, but then one of the producers ended up not being involved (left? Fired? Who knows) so the project changed direction under the new/remaining producers. 

2 hours ago, Hero said:

Pretty much. He wrote music for the original production of the film, but then one of the producers ended up not being involved (left? Fired? Who knows) so the project changed direction under the new/remaining producers. 

In fact I thought the movie was awful and could not watch it. Sadly I felt the same about the film of Les Mis. Both overdone and melodramatic. But I loved Jackman in that scene with K. 

5 minutes ago, Hero said:

Classic from my younger days. Surprisingly good as background music on the headphones at work! 

12 inch vinyls - remember them?

44 minutes ago, silver said:

12 inch vinyls - remember them?

Yep. Think I've still got one knocking around somewhere. Nothing to play it on mind!

Much preferred browsing vinyls to browsing CD cases. 

2 hours ago, Hero said:

Yep. Think I've still got one knocking around somewhere. Nothing to play it on mind!

Much preferred browsing vinyls to browsing CD cases. 

I have a cabinet full of them.

So this is sooooo America.

The song This is Me is being used as background in a commercial right now. It is a powerful anthem to self acceptance and defiant, in your face demand of others, sung by a QueenBigFat (also bearded) circus side show character.

The commercial is for Wagovy.

It's a weight loss drug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...