Dear Jealousy

Irem Aytepe

On 2/27/2020 at 9:59 PM, mellody said:

Just found this from the gig in Brisbane:

In fact I meanwhile see the song as sung by 'Michael Holbrook' to 'MIKA' - I don't know if I'm right, but the line "jealous of the ground beneath my feet" makes me think of fan's admiration, this saying that someone admires the ground beneath someone's feet - so my interpretation would be that he was jealous of the artist MIKA that he has created, the one who gets all the admiration, but the real man Michael Holbrook stays hidden behind all this, that's why he's jealous. And then he sings "thought I was the one who's jealous but you're jealous of me!", which is the part I mentioned earlier, the artist MIKA is jealous of the man he used to be before he became famous.

Anyway I just love how this song shows how complex Mika's mind works and also how he manages to condense all of this into a 3-4 minutes pop song, with the lyrics not only telling a complex story but also sounding really good. :wub2:

Dear Mellody, thanks so much for your thoughts and the newest video!! 

I think your points are very in-depth. It's definitely a valid interpretation! I have not yet thought of the lyrics line by line, more an overall impression so far.. you thoughts got me thinking deeper :) 

It's true that condensing a complex emotion into a 3-4 minutes pop song requires certain special talent, a certain ability to observe and react, MIKA really has something unique going on there! Would love to chat more about his music with you soon! :) off to discover Madrid now! 

Take care,

HueyChing 

• Like 2