Dear Jealousy

Irem Aytepe

2 hours ago, Mikasister said:

No, I'm not losing vocabulary but Im afraid if I say what I have in mind about him and these shots, I will end up in th naughty corner  :naughty:

I find the video for Tomorrow much more likely to get me thrown in naughty corner if I was to voice my thoughts about certain parts..... but I better watch this one again just to be sure.

EDIT: watching them both back to back I think I prefer Tomorrow because it’s not as terribly backlit and sometimes you can actually see his face. Dear Jealousy has less distracting band footage tho.

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, kreacher said:

I find the video for Tomorrow much more likely to get me thrown in naughty corner if I was to voice my thoughts about certain parts..... but I better watch this one again just to be sure.

EDIT: watching them both back to back I think I prefer Tomorrow because it’s not as terribly backlit and sometimes you can actually see his face. Dear Jealousy has less distracting band footage tho.

I really like both. Maybe Tomorrow a little more but I think it's due to the scarf   :naughty:

20.JPG

• Like 2

Just a thought in the middle of the night before going to sleep -

In the last few weeks I Had (still have, a bit) a hard time, a lot of that has to to with me being jealous of other peoples. With Facebook and mostly Instagram nowadays, I'm jealous i'm jealous i'm jealous at everyone as Mika said. It's not my top favorite in th album - I Won't even put it in the first places - But I'm really feeling the connection with the song, and thinking to myself that even Mika, that in my eyes is so successful and admired feels Jealous at others - It kind of... comforting, like, everyone deals with Jealousy.

I'm thankful for this song...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

I've notice that in the last lives singing Dear Jealousy  he says " your tricks DON'T work on me" instead of "WON'T" work on me"  did you notice the same or I'm wrong?  :dunno:

I think you're right, but it's not a big difference anyway :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Starlight said:

I think you're right, but it's not a big difference anyway :dunno:

Ohh I know. I just wanted to know if more of you had heard it the same. 

After all, we are used to Mika changing the lyrics  :naughty:

36 minutes ago, rainbow1Mika5 said:

It took me a while to get the lyrics right for the first few weeks of it's release i did get the lyrics wrong! Anyone else?

I thought the chorus was i'm jealous of your arse and the car you drive! 😂

:teehee:

Check our Comprehensive Lyrics thread :naughty:

59 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

I've notice that in the last lives singing Dear Jealousy  he says " your tricks DON'T work on me" instead of "WON'T" work on me"  did you notice the same or I'm wrong?  :dunno:

It's easier to sing "tricks don't" than "tricks won't", he probably does it unconsciously

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

In latest lives I hear, sometimes he change the lyrics little bit 🤔🤔 maybeee

• 3 months later...

Is there any videos (preferable in English or translated to English) or articles that MIKA speaks about how he wrote this song? I like this song a lot...

The lyrics when I first heard, brought back a lot of familiar past and ongoing feelings when dealing with creative process. It's not uncommon that we feel like more than 1 person during the creative process... especially the line "Jealous of the man I used to be, and the man I could become" to me, reflects a lot of the feeling that "the past creation that have been made, the future creation that we could make". Creative process always require us to go back and fro, sometimes throwing away the past ideas, to drop to bottom (not literally), starts completely zero (but not always possible), and look into the future but not yet quite reachable... I hope this make sense. Personally, (and I believe there are more than one perspective for a wonderful song like this), I think this song was about being a songwriter/creative person...

Edited by HueyChing

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 4:51 PM, HueyChing said:

Is there any videos (preferable in English or translated to English) or articles that MIKA speaks about how he wrote this song? I like this song a lot...

I think he spoke about it a bit before singing it at the US gigs, and iirc also in interviews around that time, but I don't have any links for you - maybe @Kumazzz remembers something in particular? Anyway in combination with his story about rediscovering the 'Michael Holbrook' part of himself, to me it was always clear that he's singing it to himself, tho at first I got dizzy when I tried to define which "you" or "I" means Mika, which Michael, and which Jealousy. :naughty: 

So in a way I think you're right that it's about him as a songwriter. He had a writer's block, and by rediscovering that part of himself that he had neglected, he got over that. 'Jealous of the man I used to be' is who he was before he became famous, he said that somewhere. The 17 yo writing songs in his bedroom, just for himself, without any pressure.

• Like 1

@mellody

Mika talks a bout "Dear Jealousy" a lot.

I recommend this interview in :swiss:

RTS.ch
Modifié le 26 novembre 2019

Mika: "Je me suis laissé contaminer par le business"

Après plusieurs années d'absence, le chanteur français-anglo-libanais revient sur scène pour présenter son nouvel album "My Name is Michael Holbrook", qui porte son vrai nom. A l'occasion de sa sortie, il revient sur les chansons phares du disque.

L’histoire de Michael Holbrook, c’est l’histoire de Mika. Un album-concept épique où le chanteur règle ses comptes avec le show-business avant de revenir à l’essentiel: lui et sa famille. Aujourd'hui, alors que la tendance est au streaming et que les algorithmes décident du destin de la musique pop, Mika va à contre-courant en voulant faire de la "pop compliquée et dense", selon ses mots. A l’occasion de la sortie de son album "My Name is Michael Holbrook", le chanteur raconte ce qui a inspiré ce disque aux influences colorées.

Tiny Love

Pour Mika, la vie à la maison, dans toute sa douleur et toute sa joie, peut aussi arriver sur scène et dans le disque. "Comme ça, je sens que je ne trahis pas le public", dit-il. La chanson "Tiny Love", derrière sa musique digne des grandes chansons de Queen – l’un de ses groupes favoris – , parle de sa mère. C’est elle qui a entraîné son fils à chanter et qui lui a donné la passion de la musique.

Je n’échappe pas à la vie réelle avec ma musique, mais je la rends plus vivable.

Mika se souvient du jour où il a commencé à chanter: "J’étais très jeune quand j'ai été viré de l’école. Ma mère m’a regardé un jour et m’a dit "ok, alors tu vas travailler". Je lui ai demandé ce que j’allais faire, et elle m’a répondu "tu vas chanter". Six mois plus tard, j’ai commencé avec mon premier job à l'Opéra Royal de Londres, dans la musique classique. J’avais 8 ans, et je n’ai fait que ça jusqu'à l’âge de 15 ans."

Durant la période où le chanteur écrivait l’album, sa mère a subi une opération importante du cerveau. Trois semaines après, il mettait des micros autour de son lit pour enregistrer sa voix. Lorsqu'on écoute la dernière chanson de l’album, c'est sa voix qu'on entend. Pour le chanteur, vie privée et musique s’entrelacent sans complexes. Il s’explique: "Dans un sens je pense qu’on rend hommage à ces personnes trop tard la plupart du temps. Et là, comme elle a beaucoup de soucis, je me suis dit que j'allais chanter à propos de cela et en parler sur scène, dans ma musique, parce que cela fait partie de ma vie."

Paloma

Alors que sa mère a plutôt bien pris le fait que Mika écrive une chanson sur elle, cela a été plus compliqué de l’accepter pour sa sœur Paloma, qui a elle aussi vécu des choses difficiles. "Elle a eu un très grave accident", explique-t-il à la RTS. "Je ne lui ai pas dit que j’avais écrit sur elle jusqu'au moment où l’album est sorti. Elle ne m’a rien dit pendant un mois parce qu’elle avait peur que sa vie intime soit déversée sur la place publique. Un jour, elle m’appelle et elle me dit "Mais tu sais, c’est mon histoire !" Je lui réponds "oui, mais c’est mon témoignage, et c’est deux choses différentes". Et là, elle a commencé à comprendre."

Jealousy 

Le fantôme de George Michael plane sur "Jealousy", une chanson entraînante mais auto-réflective. Mika serait-il jaloux de la personne qu’il était à l'époque de son premier album "Life in Cartoon Motion" et ses hits à la chaîne? Pas vraiment: "Je ne suis pas jaloux de la personne que j’étais pendant mon premier album. Je suis jaloux de la personne que j’étais avant tout cela. L’insouciance, la liberté quand on écrit quelque chose sans penser à qui va le consommer. Je ne pensais pas à ce que les gens pensaient de ce que je faisais. Je cherchais à rêver multicolore et à trouver ma place."

Je veux retrouver les couleurs que j’avais à 17 ans, lorsque j’écrivais mon premier album.

Cette insouciance et ces couleurs, c’est ce que le chanteur a souhaité retrouver avec "My Name is Michael Holbrook". Après plus de dix ans de carrière, Mika a dû se remettre en question pour retrouver la passion de ses débuts. Il raconte: "Je me suis dit "ok, je me suis laissé contaminer par le business, je veux retrouver la joie toute pure de la musique". C’est exactement ce que j’ai pu faire avec cet album. C’est à partir de l’écriture que j’ai retrouvé ma passion pour la musique. J’ai aussi retrouvé ce discours que je peux avoir avec le public, qui est comme un feu d’artifice. Il y a une urgence de communication."

:uk:

Jealousy

The ghost of George Michael hangs over "Jealousy", a catchy but self-reflective song. Mika would he be jealous of the person he was at the time of his first album "Life in Cartoon Motion" and his hits on the chain? Not really: "I'm not jealous of the person I was during my first album. I'm jealous of the person I was before all that. Carelessness, freedom when you write something without thinking about who will consume it. I didn't think what people thought of what I was doing. I was looking to dream multicolored and find my place. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 4:51 PM, HueyChing said:

Is there any videos (preferable in English or translated to English) or articles that MIKA speaks about how he wrote this song?

Just found this from the gig in Brisbane:

In fact I meanwhile see the song as sung by 'Michael Holbrook' to 'MIKA' - I don't know if I'm right, but the line "jealous of the ground beneath my feet" makes me think of fan's admiration, this saying that someone admires the ground beneath someone's feet - so my interpretation would be that he was jealous of the artist MIKA that he has created, the one who gets all the admiration, but the real man Michael Holbrook stays hidden behind all this, that's why he's jealous. And then he sings "thought I was the one who's jealous but you're jealous of me!", which is the part I mentioned earlier, the artist MIKA is jealous of the man he used to be before he became famous.

Anyway I just love how this song shows how complex Mika's mind works and also how he manages to condense all of this into a 3-4 minutes pop song, with the lyrics not only telling a complex story but also sounding really good. :wub2:

• Like 7