Mika’s Languages

BeccaStardust

4 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

Actually while I'm here 

I've been use Duolingo previously but are there any other good cheep (or free) language apps I want to learn more but struggle with Duolingo

It's only for vocabulary but I really like the app called Drops. It exists for many different languages, I use it for Spanish. The free version allows you to practice only 5 minutes every 10 hours but actually is more than enough to learn new vocabulary 5 minutes each day (or even twice a day if you manage to use it in the morning and then in the evening after 10 hours again). 

You can learn new words from different fields and you both see a picture with the word written underneath and hear the pronunciation. That's very important for me because I figured out that it's easier for me to learn new words when I hear them. If I just see them written, it's not enough for me, I need to hear the words pronounced. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, giraffeandy said:

It's only for vocabulary but I really like the app called Drops. It exists for many different languages, I use it for Spanish. The free version allows you to practice only 5 minutes every 10 hours but actually is more than enough to learn new vocabulary 5 minutes each day (or even twice a day if you manage to use it in the morning and then in the evening after 10 hours again). 

You can learn new words from different fields and you both see a picture with the word written underneath and hear the pronunciation. That's very important for me because I figured out that it's easier for me to learn new words when I hear them. If I just see them written, it's not enough for me, I need to hear the words pronounced. 

Thanks I'll look into that 

19 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I found the test for Italian:

https://www.esl.ch/de/online-sprachtests/italienisch-test

I would have liked a higher score but I guess 50% isn't too bad 😅

20220105_134842.thumb.png.4bd1ebbcec03b3a4127733a85e13b6d4.png

I'm gonna come back to this a few months from now and see how I improve. 

• Like 2

Regarding Spanish, I really don't have many opportunities to practice speaking. I'm taking the classes and we have a native teacher so at least twice a week I can speak a bit but I feel it's not enough for me. There are classes of conversation too but the courses are rather expensive so I prefer to take the general classes that cover more disciplines. Maybe there are some cheaper options but I wanted to be sure that the classes are of good quality so I'm attending the local Instituto Cervantes, it's part of the Spanish embassy here so I thought the "official" language institute is always a good choice. And I really like the courses, they are just a bit pricey. At least next semester I'll have some discounts for former students. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

So I’ve been looking at different language apps recently and found falou

I enjoy it and while it’s nit really giving it in sentences (yet) I am learning from it 

you can only do one language at a time unless you buy the expensive premium (£99 for a year but offered me 70% off after 5 lessons or something which I took) 

but I feel like I’m doing better with it 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BeccaStardust said:

you can only do one language at a time unless you buy the expensive premium (£99 for a year but offered me 70% off after 5 lessons or something which I took) 

With all these apps, I would always wait a bit first (like you did) because they usually always give a discount. :original:

• Like 1