I interviewed MIKA today :)

Sprk

It was great... He was sooooo nice. And they had JUST gotten the official album in, and I got to see it... It is one amazing Technicolor package - you'll absolutely love it. When I've worked out the interview I'll definitely post it here :)

Oh and he definitely knows who Sunny Monkey is :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sooooooo cool, how did you get round to doing that. Who was the interview for?

For Gay&Night Magazine and GAY.NL (a dutch magazine and the largest Dutch gay medium). I'm the editor in chief and I discovered Mika about 2 weeks ago and ever since I've been wanting to interview him. He's going to be on the cover of our March issue :)

Cool. What did he say about our dearest Sunny Monkey then :D

Hah we were talking about the Hips Don't Lie cover... And he was kind of embarassed and he asked me where I heard it. And I told him Sunny Monkey put it on mikafanclub.com... And he went ,,That guy is really on top of things!" and then he said some other stuff that indicated that he knew Sunny Monkey was in touch with management and stuff... I don't recall word-for-word, but that was the basic idea ;)

I told him he should release the cover... And he laughed. I said ,,No but it's a really nice cover and it's cool because you start laughing and stuff." and he said ,,Do you have a website?" and I said we did... And he said that maybe we should put it up on our website... The woman from management or the Island said there might be some issues with the BBC but perhaps it would be ok to do it in awhile... So we'll see... :)

Thanks for letting us know, and fantastic to have the editor on this board :) Feel free to plug this site in the mag ;) Though, once universal sort their bits out we will hoepfully be linked as the forums for the official site. Anywho, a mention would be nifty :)

Besides all that, it's great to hear you got to do the interview. Which CD packaging did you see (what colour) as there are a few variations depending on where it is being sold ;)

Sunny

Thanks for letting us know, and fantastic to have the editor on this board :) Feel free to plug this site in the mag ;) Though, once universal sort their bits out we will hoepfully be linked as the forums for the official site. Anywho, a mention would be nifty :)

Besides all that, it's great to hear you got to do the interview. Which CD packaging did you see (what colour) as there are a few variations depending on where it is being sold ;)

Sunny

I saw the UK version, which had 'Ring Ring' as a bonus track. I also saw a CDR promo with 2 (!!) tracks on it that haven't appeared ANYWHERE yet.

The CD case is not a regular jewel case but a SuperAudioCD jewel case (see Emma Bunton's latest album or Goldfrapp's Supernature) though I don't think the disc is a SuperAudioCD itself. The booklet was VERY colorful with 'handwritten' lyrics, cool drawings. Deffo one for Lollipop. He pointed at the last one (on the left side of the last 'spread', so to speak) and said it was his favorite. Can't recall for which song, but it might be on the recording of the interview (EDIT: It's not). One of the later songs, anyway.

There is some GREAT stuff coming up. Like a MIKA animated soap opera, where your favorite characters (like Billy Brown) will be interacting...

Oh and it IS his voice doing the female stuff on Grace Kelly except for the very first line, that's an actress...

Hmmm if the recording is any good I might share some audio bits.

Fantastic stuff! If you do sort out some audio bits, get in touch with Strudel here on the forums. I have made him our audio guy and he will be able to help you tag the audio with your company name and the fanclub name etc making it all swish ;)

Right, back to Friday Night Project to watch Mika a bit more!

Look forward to more insights from you and the word on if we will get "plugged" or not ;) lol

Thanks again! Top stuff!

Sunny

- he had just done a french TV show with Jane Birkin earlier that day (Serge Gainsbourg's ex-wife)

- he hired drummer Matt Chamberlain because he loved his work with Tori Amos. He's a big fan of Tori, not too fond of The Beekeeper though. He said he LOVED the drums on 'Crucify', but Matt didn't drum for Tori until like 6 years after Crucify was recorded, and Mika replied ,,s**t, I hired the wrong guy." :)

Here's a short audio clip (it was a 30 minute interview including a full minute of me looking through the CD booklet going 'wow').

Sprk, where do I start?...Welcome...It's an absolute honour to have you join the club...thank you for giving us some insight from your interview with Mika... and finally the audio snipet is FAB - what a tease! :roftl: I can't wait to hear/see the full interview!

You are a STAR!!!

Thanks for the info. much appreciated.

If this is a SuperAudioCD jewel case I will be very annoyed. I really hate these new CD cases - It's impossible to get the booklet out of the case without damaging it. MIKA, if you're reading this please pls change it.

seagull731img600x4511161bb.jpg

Sprk:

Great "teaser" interview snippet, can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Will you be able to post the magazine cover as well as the transcript of the interview you did with MIKA?

Big Texas-sized hug to ya from Houston!

Manny

xoxo

That women's voice is him in Grace Kelly? except the frist line? but it's the same voice all the way through is it not?

The one that says "The last time we talked Mr Smith you reduced me to tears. I promise you it won't happen again"

then it says "Getting angry doesn't solve anything." and "Humphry we're leaving." so is that him speaking? amazing

maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick

random: isnt the way he sings "dirty" and "flirty" just unbelievable ooo it tingles me

Hi Folks

This is what was said on that interview.

I can post the whole transcript soon, if anyone interested.

EDIT: In fact PART 1 of transcript posted HERE

CW.

---------

MIKA ON DERMOT O'LEARY SHOW

BBC RADIO 2

Sat 13 January 2007

Extracts of Transcript:

MiKA: It was actually a little, a little ‘re-create’. It’s not a sample but I made it sound like a sample at the beginning of the song and this kind of Grace Kelly-esque voice - I actually auditioned all these different actresses in Los Angeles.

DERMOT O'LEARY: Oh did you?

M: Yeah. I brought in all these, you know, actresses in Los Angeles to see who would have the best Grace Kelly sound.

. . .

D: I was wondering where you took the sample from, cos I …

M: No, it’s not a sample, it’s just, I created it. It was really fun. We spent a day doing it in Sunset Sound Studios, which is the same room that they recorded Fantasia and Mary Poppins and everything.

D: Fanastic.

M: So they had the actual original mikes that they used on all those movie sets. So we put them all up and then we spent a day recreating things with like a fake door and walking on these, you know…

. . .

D: And is it the same actress that’s at the end of the song when she goes, is it “Humphrey, we’re leaving” or…?

M: No, that’s me

D: Is it?

M: Yeah.

D: No it isn’t.

M: I swear to God, it’s me.

. . .

D: That’s such a great high voice you’ve got there.

M: I know. I’m quite a good girl.

----