In falsetto heaven with Mika

dcdeb

on the page of this link is another one

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satellite/london/music/article/1157147426554?packedargs=suffix%3DArticleController

the article is written by thomas atkinson. is one of the best if i know right and he like mika, so we all are right. mika is becoming a megastar.

Thanks for the link. I love the picture with the article - I hadn't seen it before. :biggrin2:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had exactly the same reaction when I saw him in Toronto. I watched him very closely throughout Relax, Take it Easy because I just couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth.

i was listening to relax take it easy acoustic. ... its amazing.

By Chris Elwell-Sutton, Evening Standard 15.05.07

09a_15_MIKAEMPIRE_243x325.jpg

One of the most heavily hyped artists in recent times, flamboyant Lebanese-born singer Mika had been declared a star long before he released his first single.

But despite his appearance in just about every one of those "ones to watch in 2007" lists, the fickle world of the media moves so fast now that in some quarters the murmurings of a backlash against him have already begun.

Luckily for Mika, though, his success - which recently saw him sell his 500,000th copy of his album Life In Cartoon Motion - is not dependent on being thought cool, groundbreaking or edgy by socalled tastemakers, since in truth, he is none of those things.

No, Mika's massive popularity is built on a far more solid foundation of a repertoire of gloriously lifeaffirming songs, a bucketload of charisma and a fantastic voice. All of these were very much in evidence at last night's spectacular show, and Mika's fans lapped it up.

Opening, as he usually does, with debut single Relax, Take It Easy, Mika displayed a breathtaking falsetto. The crowd - whose gay-and-female-heavy demographic, with plenty of silly fancy dress thrown in, seemed to confirm the idea that Mika's stealing the Scissor Sisters' fans - reacted with abandon to this high-energy opener as the gangly star pranced and strutted in a fabulously camp skin-tight white outfit that brought to mind the man with whom he's most often compared: Freddie Mercury.

I harboured the uncharitable suspicion that such perfect, strong high-notes must have been the result of miming. But I was wrong.

It soon became clear, as his band took a back seat and he sat at his piano to perform the gentler My Interpretation, that Mika's voice really is as extraordinary as it seems.

Lacking enough of his own material to fill the show, Mika made the sensible decision to sing a few songs by other people. The excellent Ring Ring was followed by a masterful rendition of The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams that had bums flying off seats. Another successful cover was The Jackson Five's I Want You Back.

As he followed these up with the crowd-pleasingly jolly Love Today, a carnival atmosphere prevailed as the audience entered an even more intense frenzy. Don't ask me why, but he performed the track dressed as a chicken while his keyboard player struggled manfully on, despite the clear discomfort caused by his rabbit costume.

It was a suitably theatrical end to a spectacular performance that clearly owed more to the traditions of musical theatre than to those of rock'n'roll.

09a_15_fatty_243x291.jpg

omg the all white makes him look like an angel<3

Thx much for posting dcdeb !!! :thumb_yello:

I loved this part :

(...)

Opening, as he usually does, with debut single Relax, Take It Easy, Mika displayed a breathtaking falsetto.

(...)

I harboured the uncharitable suspicion that such perfect, strong high-notes must have been the result of miming. But I was wrong.

It soon became clear, as his band took a back seat and he sat at his piano to perform the gentler My Interpretation, that Mika's voice really is as extraordinary as it seems.

I had exactly the same reaction when I saw him in Toronto. I watched him very closely throughout Relax, Take it Easy because I just couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. I've seen video of the performance since and the reality is his voice in the intro is actually much louder and stronger than it sounds on the recording. During the acoustic songs he could have performed without a microphone.

I've seen opera soloists at the Royal Albert but to see someone sing pop like that on a small club stage was surreal.

I think anyone who's seen a show would be instantly converted to a fan. He's really extraordinary.

I completely agree with you... when he came on stage in Montréal and he belted out the OUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the beginning of Relax, I couldn't believe my ears !!!! I was like : :shocked:

I had watched a lot of live performances of him on YouTube and knew he was for real but when you are there and hear it live in front of you it's so impressive... breathtaking !!!!!!! His voice is SO powerful it's unbelievable. I was right in front of the stage so I could clearly hear that he wasn't lipsync-ing the song and like you said, he does that OOOOUUUAAA much louder live then it is on the recording.

I'm telling you my jaw litteraly dropped to the floor and my heart skipped a beat.... His voice is soooooo amazing... it's beyond words...

This guy is so amazingly talented and yes anybody who sees him live will be instantly converted !!!!

Now I just wish he would come back here so I can experience that again : hearing him sing live is just an exhilarating experience and I hope all of you get to live it one day !!!!!

*getting a little emotional here...*

I loved this part :

I completely agree with you... when he came on stage in Montréal and he belted out the OUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the beginning of Relax, I couldn't believe my ears !!!! I was like : :shocked:

I had watched a lot of live performances of him on YouTube and knew he was for real but when you are there and hear it live in front of you it's so impressive... breathtaking !!!!!!! His voice is SO powerful it's unbelievable. I was right in front of the stage so I could clearly hear that he wasn't lipsync-ing the song and like you said, he does that OOOOUUUAAA much louder live then it is on the recording.

I'm telling you my jaw litteraly dropped to the floor and my heart skipped a beat.... His voice is soooooo amazing... it's beyond words...

This guy is so amazingly talented and yes anybody who sees him live will be instantly converted !!!!

Now I just wish he would come back here so I can experience that again : hearing him sing live is just an exhilarating experience and I hope all of you get to live it one day !!!!!

i feel the same!!! and in 3 short words.... "MIKA KICK A**!!!!* lol

awesome article!:thumb_yello:

thank god there are critics that actually listen to mika for themselves

and realize that he is genuine and extraordinary!

mika is a gift from above that is here to awaken all those souls that have been sleeping through life!

:wink2:

awesome article!:thumb_yello:

thank god there are critics that actually listen to mika for themselves

and realize that he is genuine and extraordinary!

mika is a gift from above that is here to awaken all those souls that have been sleeping through life!

:wink2:

AMEN !!!!!

I had exactly the same reaction when I saw him in Toronto. I watched him very closely throughout Relax, Take it Easy because I just couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. I've seen video of the performance since and the reality is his voice in the intro is actually much louder and stronger than it sounds on the recording. During the acoustic songs he could have performed without a microphone.

I've seen opera soloists at the Royal Albert but to see someone sing pop like that on a small club stage was surreal.

I think anyone who's seen a show would be instantly converted to a fan. He's really extraordinary.

Wow couldn't agree more! Tell that to my stubborn friend in school..:sneaky2: Well I told her that Mika had said that you either love or hate his music, she agreed *lol* There is no Stuck in the middle opinion about his music :roftl:

I loved this part :

I think my heart just skipped a beat too reading this from you! :wub2:

I'm so lucky that I get to see him now on Friday *skipps around extatic* and since he's doing the opening of the RixFm festival he just HAS to start with Relax! I'll be jumping so high and screaming so loud that I'll be exhausted afterwards :biggrin2::stretcher:

Thanks for posting!

I like the headline for the article ^^

The big girl seems to be in a dangerous situation, her boobs is nearly hopping out ^^

i was thinking the same thing:naughty:

oh well, gotta love a man that appreciates big girls with all dangerous situations included:naughty:

love how he looks at her and his attitude of kind of dangerouse macho . so sexy.

GRRRROOOWLLL i know what you mean yummy, he leant her right back at our gig holding onto her with just one hand...(hyperventilating, ME not them btw)

i feel the same!!! and in 3 short words.... "MIKA KICK A**!!!!* lol

so do I, I felt all goosebumps when he started to sing and get em when I remember it too, and I like how in Grace Kelly, live it feels like just a little more aggression comes over, you know like he's singing and feeling every word deeply and thinking inside F*#k you!!!!!! (ha they lost out big time by letting this gem go I'm telling you now) but those who laugh last, laugh longest.

GOD I ADORE THIS MAN arrrrrgh it drives me crazy.

I want to be big girl. Yes oh yes...

What in the world is camp about that white shirt and pants? I dunno.

But this is an excellent review. I can't wait to see him live!!! I'm getting so excited!!!!!