Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

you said : "it simply means easy to remember" so I answered "for me all songs are easy to remember-doesn't mean they're all cAtchy" of course I understand what you mean , it's not t h a t difficult.....I just love to give other perspective and say things that are opposite, it's more interesting

and to me it's obvious that people unerstand words slightly differently, and that's not a really good definition for any word

I didn't say they're easy to s i n g but easy to remember.....

so you're saying nobody here cares if Mika has hits....

or you're saying you don't care...but I simply don't believe you here and I think you said that only to disagree cause I can give many examples (sure I won't look for them now) when your posts were about it....even biotw...you speak very often in terms of importance of hits, selling and marketing...

I don't need you to explain once again:original: you were not talking about Mika in your posts but about Aquilera as far as I remember... (I was talking about Mika just to give an example)

And I really don't like this teacher's term:roftl: ("let me try to explain once again")

I think only I know how I interpret catchy....

To me songs can be a) catchy-stupid or b) catchy interesting....

oh...so you know the r e a l meaning...I'm impressed....

Are you trying to say that your mind is so brilliant that you can remember every melody, so every song is catchy? :lmfao:

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this was absolutely amazing. :teehee:

:lmao:

I mean, it is not a real dislike of that word, it is more like avoiding the overuse of it sometimes, but it's just me. (I rarely talk in superlatives unless I really mean it.) Plus, George Michael has a song with the same title and there are hardly any songs he wrote that I hate but that is one of them :roftl:

If I compare these two songs that basically have the message "You're amazing", Mika's lyrics and music win miles ahead of George's.

Are you trying to say that your mind is so brilliant that you can remember every melody, so every song is catchy? :lmfao:

how can you even question that....:roftl:

Brilliant minds remember every song, especially the catchy ones that 'turn crap' after a few years. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

She means that it has to be catchy in order to be a hit, not that all catchy songs are hits. And certainly not that all catchy songs are exceptionally good songs and will stand the test of time.

EMD has a fantastic hook so it is very catchy but I'm sure most will agree it is not Mika's best song by far. And yet it is #1 in France, unlike all of his other songs except Relax.

I think it's important to Mika to have a few hits, nevermind us. We can talk about the merits of art or and the importance of quality all day long, but he has chosen to be a pop singer/songwriter for a career. The success of that is measured (at least in large part) by hit singles. If he wants to be some other kind of singer/songwriter/artist then there will be a different measurement, but for what he's doing you need to have hit songs to be considered very successful.

I know what she said , and really if I don't understand something I r e a l l y c a n say "i don't understand, please explain it to me".....

so you're saying- it has to be catchy to be a hit....I'm saying ok, but to me lots of a)catchy-stupid songs are hits....

sure....if he likes to have hits (I bet he does:wink2:) it's OK

I just think....many artists want to write a hit and they write crap....

when they don't want to write a hit they write a song that becomes a HIT

No, I said that to me songs are easy to remember ...doesn't mean they're all catchy (in terms of mellody of course)

and when they're good I remember them and when the're not I forget them easily....

quite opposite : I said that to show the paradox

;

Edited by Melisanda

No, I said that to me songs are easy to remember ... (in terms of mellody of course)

and when they're good I remember them and when the're not I forget them easily....

quite opposite : I said that to show the paradox

Well. I´m a singer. And I can remember songs quite quick too, I have to. But some songs are really hard to remember, so I definitely KNOW that not all of songs are catchy. The melody simply is in your head after you hear it, or isn´t. That´s what make songs hits imo.

:lmao:

I mean, it is not a real dislike of that word, it is more like avoiding the overuse of it sometimes, but it's just me. (I rarely talk in superlatives unless I really mean it.) Plus, George Michael has a song with the same title and there are hardly any songs he wrote that I hate but that is one of them :roftl:

If I compare these two songs that basically have the message "You're amazing", Mika's lyrics and music win miles ahead of George's.

I know this song of him and like it quite a lot actually. But no one should ask me to compare Under Water to any other song these days, because, well, you know. :wub2::teehee:

And the "amazing" thing was just to tease you anyway. :aah: The chocolate x bacon digression gave you a lot to think of, huh? Haha I always like your posts even when I don't agree, but this was extra cool. :naughty:

Bacon is indeed not so "flexible" (can I use this word with this meaning?) as chocolate, but no one can deny the fact that whenever there's bacon in a recipe, you recognize it just for its aroma - and it's pretty good. :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by Fran

Because she posted that songs are 1-catchy 2-catchy :aah: with some adjectives ofc.

I think that the adjectives you didn't bother to mention make the difference...

and are the crucial ones.

besides...there are things to remember for a short time and for a long time...and there's a short vs long term memory...

I think that the adjectives you didn't bother to mention make the difference...

and are the crucial ones.

besides...there are things to remember for a short time and for a long time...and there's a short vs long term memory...

Ok, it´s your opinion, and please don´t take it so serious, we´re only schmoozing here. Well I don´t think, I know that there are not-catchy songs, like I posted above.

And of course, Those adjectives make a difference, but catchy = catchy no matter what goes after. :wink2:

Well. I´m a singer. And I can remember songs quite quick too, I have to. But some songs are really hard to remember, so I definitely KNOW that not all of songs are catchy. The melody simply is in your head after you hear it, or isn´t. That´s what make songs hits imo.

sure not songs are catchy

by the way in another dictionary catchy is "pleasant and easy to remember"

if catchy meant only "easy to remember"....and the dictionary doesn't tell you for how long.....:roftl: and "how" easy...

I only said if catchy means only "easy to remember" what if someone remembers easily most of songs? (and forgets them easily")

nevermiond...it's really not THAT important...

it's just playing....

and I'm being me again ...you said "the melody is in your head after you hear it or isn't.that's what makes songs hits"

sure...a) crappy hits or b) great hits...and the melodies go instantly to my head I just don't want most of them to be there...

sure not songs are catchy

by the way in another dictionary catchy is "pleasant and easy to remember"

if catchy meant only "easy to remember"....and the dictionary doesn't tell you for how long.....:roftl: and "how" easy...

I only said if catchy means only "easy to remember" what if someone remembers easily most of songs? (and forgets them easily")

nevermiond...it's really not THAT important...

it's just playing....

and I'm being me again ...you said "the melody is in your head after you hear it or isn't.that's what makes songs hits"

sure...a) crappy hits or b) great hits...and the melodies go instantly to my head I just don't want most of them to be there...

Sure,that´s true. But crappy hit for me is for example I know you want me, you know I want ya.. Can´t remember who "sings" this hit,but I think it has absolutely no value, and it´s very cheap and annoying. But it´s in your head when you hear it and long time after. And great hit, of course, i can talk about billion songs.

But there definitely IS third case. Not-catchy songs. You hear it, you´re not able to repeat it in 2 minutes. It´s because they´re a) too complicated, b) too crap.

So,I agree with you, I just add one more option

Ok, it´s your opinion, and please don´t take it so serious, we´re only schmoozing here. Well I don´t think, I know that there are not-catchy songs, like I posted above.

And of course, Those adjectives make a difference, but catchy = catchy no matter what goes after. :wink2:

I don't think I take it that seriously...I posted I'm only playing...I just take it logically

sure there are not catchy songs....but if catchy means only easy to remember and someone remembers easily so all songs must have been catchy to him..and that's not true...it's logical thing and definitional thing....and paradox as I said..

not very important ....

catchy = catchy , just "easy to remember" is not the whole meaning...add pleasant and it changes...add people's own insight (and all words are more or less subjective and "to feel") and it changes....

let's finish it

Edited by Melisanda

Sure,that´s true. But crappy hit for me is for example I know you want me, you know I want ya.. Can´t remember who "sings" this hit,but I think it has absolutely no value, and it´s very cheap and annoying. But it´s in your head when you hear it and long time after. And great hit, of course, i can talk about billion songs.

But there definitely IS third case. Not-catchy songs. You hear it, you´re not able to repeat it in 2 minutes. It´s because they´re a) too complicated, b) too crap.

So,I agree with you, I just add one more option

yes, not catchy f o r y o u (you hear it, you 're not able to repeat

what if someone is able to repeat the melody instantly even if it's complicated or crap - he/she needs to find another definition for "catchy" not just easy to remember.

yeah but I agree in popular meaning you are of course right

and by the way-I played the song "you want me, I want you" yesterday, it's pitbull, I'm not saying I like him but at that moment I really loved the song:roftl:and I danced to it at work..

I have been thinking about your bacon and chocolate comparison... :roftl:

The way I interpret it is that chocolate may taste completely different, depending on the type and quality of ingredients you make it from and the flavours and spices you add to it but you can't do much with bacon, can you? :roftl: You can have bacon flavoured chocolate though. The key is to find the right way to blend these two, or, rather, use bacon only as some flavour rather than eating the two of them raw together. :teehee:

What a delicious explanation! :wink2:

If so, Mika is really chocolate :licks_lips:

I prefer chocolate to beacon, btw :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about this song a few days ago and that’s what I’d do with it.

Normally I prefer almost everything with the piano but here I’d replace piano with acoustic guitar, just a simple ballad, no duets, only Mika and very simple.

(Cause these old fashioned accords, operatic frames make it sound heavy and a bit kitsch. This shouldn’t sound like a kitsch cause lyrics are simple, feelings are simple and fresh and meaning is fresh and simple. Kitsch is good sometimes like in Bohemian Rhapsody-a wonderful kitsch- but the lyrics there were amazingly strange and everything-the opera etc. fitted).

I’d sing it with a smile, in lighter way, not dramatic, not operatic.

I’d have to listen to it that way to say if I still think it’s a good idea but now I think it is.

Mika wrote very sophisticated lyrics. The Ivor Novello prize was not for nothing. But simple lyrics can be good too, besides, maybe writing about fresh and simple feelings is more difficult than telling sophisticated stories…from a distance...anyway.

ah...one more...I wrote before that “hear my song it won’t last to long” makes me feel a bit anxious but it was not necessarily about the way Mika sang it...more just the meaning;-) (sth like “hear my song cause (the song, singing) won’t last too long” but it was just…a joke...not very important cause I know in the context of the song it probably meant sth different (that the situation of arguing or fighting won’t last too long).

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in this thread before so I thought it was about time :teehee: Ok I'm actually posting because I finally sat down and listened to the whole song (which I didn't do before yesterday :naughty: ) It was this video that made me do it

[YOUTUBE]9H85riUo5l8[/YOUTUBE]

From the first performance in Compiegne and the next ones I didn't really like it at all so I just skipped it. I don't know why but yesterday I thought why not try again and guess what.. I like it now.. it's not on my list of favourites but as some of you have said, it got better each time than the one before.. especially in Korea and it could be mainly because he starts with the whole first verse (is it called a verse?) alone. I also feel that he's more comfortable singing it, more relaxed and hence more in tune. I still think Ida's voice is too operatic and kinda loud to my ears but she's definitely talented :thumb_yello: All in all, a good song (basically because I love his voice :wub2: ) but not a unique one.

Edited by Miro

There were slight changes to the lyrics in the Korea gig.. this is what I hear..

Stormy weather, here we go again

We don't talk about it and we'll (?) never change nothing

It doesn't matter that's what lovers do

We don't run for cover when the skies are blue

So you can be the thunder and I can be the rain

Let love pull us under we'll (?) do it all again

And I said Blame it on the weather and the things it makes us do

We could blame it on each other for we know we're guilty too

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

and we'll blame it all on the weather

Bitter winter, victims of the storm

I'm not frozen over it makes me love you more lover

I adore you, nothing more to say

If it wasn't for you I'd never love this way

And you can be the thunder and I will be the rain

Oh Let love pull us under we'll do it all again

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

So I said Blame it on the weather and the things it makes us do

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

And we'll blame it all on the weather

oooh ooooh

I haven't posted in this thread before so I thought it was about time :teehee: Ok I'm actually posting because I finally sat down and listened to the whole song (which I didn't do before yesterday :naughty: ) It was this video that made me do it

[YOUTUBE]9H85riUo5l8[/YOUTUBE]

From the first performance in Compiegne and the next ones I didn't really like it at all so I just skipped it. I don't know why but yesterday I thought why not try again and guess what.. I like it now.. it's not on my list of favourites but as some of you have said, it got better each time than the one before.. especially in Korea and it could be mainly because he starts with the whole first verse (is it called a verse?) alone. I also feel that he's more comfortable singing it, more relaxed and hence more in tune. I still think Ida's voice is too operatic and kinda loud to my ears but she's definitely talented :thumb_yello: All in all, a good song (basically because I love his voice :wub2: ) but not a unique one.

T4P ! :wub2:

There were slight changes to the lyrics in the Korea gig.. this is what I hear..

Stormy weather, here we go again

We don't talk about it and we'll (?) never change nothing

It doesn't matter that's what lovers do

We don't run for cover when the skies are blue

So you can be the thunder and I can be the rain

Let love pull us under we'll (?) do it all again

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

Bitter winter, victims of the storm

I'm not frozen over it makes me love you more lover

I adore you, nothing more to say

If it wasn't for you I'd never love this way

And you can be the thunder and I will be the rain

Oh Let love pull us under we'll do it all again

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

So I said Blame it on the weather and the things it makes us do

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

And we'll blame it all on the weather

oooh ooooh

I could never understand what the lyrics imply on :dunno:

it seems kind of love song between lovers but what's the point ...?

is it becuz of my poor English or the randomness of the song itself..:blink:

Love the melody though.... :mf_rosetinted: