Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

Bonus tracks: You've lost that Summery Feeling :biggrin2: and Freeze me Tender

They both sound great. I am already preparing my :wub2:s

I'll be pretty surprised if that ends up being the title, as well. But you never know. :dunno:

Wasn't it The Origin of Love (in singular)?. I really like it, actually. I hope he'll have enough songs and stories to tell that would fit the concept so that he won't need to change the title.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They both sound great. I am already preparing my :wub2:s

Wasn't it The Origin of Love (in singular)?. I really like it, actually. I hope he'll have enough songs and stories to tell that would fit the concept so that he won't need to change the title.

and possibly wear the concept out for ever :biggrin2:

about the version from Seoul...:

how right it sounds when Mika sings alone....

good that Ida starts when the snow and winter lyrics starts...it kind of fits her...BUT I still have a knife opening in my pocket when I hear/see her (it's just an expresion taken from my native language...)

I think she sings it better than before, with more feeling but it's just a lesson learned better...nothing else...she doesn't have that something that makes a person an artist

sorry but to me she's just an average opera singer. it's like dead singing... Mika is alive...

some of the greatest opera singers can sing not in a dead way but they have that something

probably Ida can sing in a clear way most of the sounds but....not my type

AND: I'd prefer if Mika FIRST recorded this song in an alive, emotional way solo or with a good duet and THEN presented it with this attraction which is singing with opera singer on stage (I will still dislike it....;-))))

sorry, but except Freddie Mercury with Montserrat Caballe all the rest rock/pop artists singing with opera singers sounded....strange

but it's just the digression

the point is Ida is not Montserrat Caballe

and I really liked the duet with Danielle De Niesse

I know I'm being a little cruel here...the point is I wouldn't say it in such words to a person face to face because I respect feelings , I would say negative things if a person asked me about opinion and I would choose words more carefully, but I don't care here cause I just feel it's a place to write things like they are in the head sometimes... and negative emotions want to go out ;-))

about chemistry...(someone wrote it before) between Ida and Mika on stage...

ha, sure , they may feel comfortable with each other but sorry I don't see/feel any chemistry there...I almost see the glass between them when they sing this song together ;-)) ( it's not an accusation, I'm not looking for any chemistry between them, I like things like they naturally are)

and again sorry for hurting the feelings of people who love this duet.

I personally don't get hurt when someone dislikes Mika or his songs at all!!! but I know many people feel hurt when someone else dislikes things they love

finito.

Except this one.

:wink2:

But I agree with you. I don´t really like Ida´s voice, but I think she´s a good singer, but not in combination with Mika. It´s like to eat chocolate pudding with a bacon. Both of them are good but together it´s a big s**t! :biggrin2:

I'm glad most people seem to be thinking the same as me. I find the lyrics cringey (embarrassing) and hate the duet but when I heard this version I really quite liked it up to the point where Ida joined in.

I totally agree with you. Mika and Ida were great together singing 'Happy Ending' but this song would be better sung by Mika only.

I so agree that some decent lyrics and it sung solo along with a better title (and let's face it he's good at changing titles!!) could transform it into a fave.

Amen to what you've said!

PS I actually don't believe that the album will be called Origins of love!! :teehee:

:fisch: :fisch:

I have to say, that even though I still think that the lyrics suck greatly, this performance and the new way he's singing it (both of them,actually) changes the song dramatically.

He's singing properly, with feeling but not as if he's doing a cheesy musical, he's laid off the silly hand gestures, and he's finally looking like he's focusing on the singing rather than on the show.

So yes, big thumbs up from my side. Mind you, I still wouldn't really want to see it on the new album taking up the space of a 'proper' song :blush-anim-cl:

Maybe he can do another little Songs for Sorrow type thing called Songs for Seasons and put it there, with another couple of weather related songs :lmfao:

Sariflor summed up my feelings in the bolded parts :wink2:

I think I prefer Mika singing on his own, as some have already said. In the new version from Korea, I loved Mika singing the verse on his own. I could have listened to the whole song just sung by Mika.

Also, as has been mentioned, Mika should record the song himself as a soloist, then, maybe, sing it with someone else on stage occasionally, for a bit of variety.

Except this one.

But I agree with you. I don´t really like Ida´s voice, but I think she´s a good singer, but not in combination with Mika. It´s like to eat chocolate pudding with a bacon. Both of them are good but together it´s a big s**t! :biggrin2:

I like your link, I always liked Aguilera's voice, which has a great potential.

So, who exactly of them is beacon, and who is a chocolate delight?:biggrin2:

I think I prefer Mika singing on his own, as some have already said. In the new version from Korea, I loved Mika singing the verse on his own. I could have listened to the whole song just sung by Mika.

Also, as has been mentioned, Mika should record the song himself as a soloist, then, maybe, sing it with someone else on stage occasionally, for a bit of variety.

I would greatly appreciate if he sung it alone, only one time, please (uh, Mika?)! I'm very curious to see what he can do with this song on his own.

Except this one.

thank you for your answer and the link. I listened. I didn't know it. My reaction:

sorry , I didn't like it:wink2: I've never liked A. Bocelli. no impression on me. Aquilera has a strong voice , I like definately at least one song...not an expert , maybe if I have motivation I will search more , I just have my favourite singers

the funny thing is : I see Bocelli not as an opera singer. to me he's a pop singer with a bit operatic style and voice. and his voice is very weak here. Aquilera's voice is too strong so it's not like a duet when the opera singer sounds like a HUGE instrument and a pop/rock singer sings more delicate.

it was in liege, right? when Ida started you could immediately say it's opera:wink2:

I was talking about duets like ...don't remember now Bono and Pavarotti? something like that. both are great but sounding together is like you said bacon and chocolate:wink2: (won't say who is which one:wink2: )

:roftl::thumb_yello:

:naughty:

:original:

ps. I should correct it to "Ida is not as good as Montsserat Caballe" sure she's not her :wink2: but the point is clear I suppose

language....it's not logical and has obvious weaknesses,,,,that's why I like mataphors though sometimes they're dangerous too (i just remembered posts from Under Water thread when people wrote about understanding lyrics)

I'd also prefer Mika to sing this beautiful tune by himself, sounds much better from what I heard from the Seoul concert in my opinion.

Ida has an absolutely stunning voice and she's lovely but their voices don't sound good together in this one (to my ears).

I would greatly appreciate if he sung it alone, only one time, please (uh, Mika?)! I'm very curious to see what he can do with this song on his own.

OFC Christina is a chocolate :mf_rosetinted:

thank you for your answer and the link. I listened. I didn't know it. My reaction:

sorry , I didn't like it:wink2: I've never liked A. Bocelli. no impression on me. Aquilera has a strong voice , I like definately at least one song...not an expert , maybe if I have motivation I will search more , I just have my favourite singers

the funny thing is : I see Bocelli not as an opera singer. to me he's a pop singer with a bit operatic style and voice. and his voice is very weak here. Aquilera's voice is too strong so it's not like a duet when the opera singer sounds like a HUGE instrument and a pop/rock singer sings more delicate.

it was in liege, right? when Ida started you could immediately say it's opera:wink2:

I was talking about duets like ...don't remember now Bono and Pavarotti? something like that. both are great but sounding together is like you said bacon and chocolate:wink2: (won't say who is which one:wink2: )

Oh yes well of course, everyone´s opinion is different, I personally LOVE Christina, for me she´s definitely the very best singer of last century. But unfortunately her songs are not that catchy. But I love her so much that I wouldn´t mind her singing.. I don´t know, Old McDonald had a farm!!! :mf_rosetinted: I´d love it anyway.

Back to Ida. Yes you´re right and I agree 100% that Ida doesn´t fit with Mika AT ALL. Mika´s voice is like a velvet, Ida´s like a razor. So if you put them together, velvet ends cut. :mf_rosetinted:

OFC Christina is a chocolate :mf_rosetinted:

Oh yes well of course, everyone´s opinion is different, I personally LOVE Christina, for me she´s definitely the very best singer of last century. But unfortunately her songs are not that catchy. But I love her so much that I wouldn´t mind her singing.. I don´t know, Old McDonald had a farm!!! :mf_rosetinted: I´d love it anyway.

Back to Ida. Yes you´re right and I agree 100% that Ida doesn´t fit with Mika AT ALL. Mika´s voice is like a velvet, Ida´s like a razor. So if you put them together, velvet ends cut. :mf_rosetinted:

:roftl: I like the v&r metaphor

hmmm catchy songs is not what I like best ..I don't know how to describe it...to me it's not the weakness if the song is not catchy...well what it means whatever ..catchy...guess it means different things to different people.

I just like or don't like , I don't know if it's catchy or not....sometimes a catchy song is boring after a few listenings....so it's not good to be catchy...it's good to be interesting

maybe I will look for more of her songs and give you a feedback later. I certainly know she exists but had many other music to listen ...maybe I prefer Josh Stone...but I want to be more sure

I prefer males voices....and I like females like Amy W, Kate Bush...T Turner and many others but mostly just songs...I don't think I have a very beloved female vocalist....just males voices appeal more to me

Edited by Melisanda

Wow :shocked:do you love my voice ?! ...thank you!!! :naughty:

I saw Nikki Yanofsky (who was hanging out with Mika in Montreal) do an amazing rendition of Old MacDonald's Farm last time I was in London.

[YOUTUBE]Kw1SJnzn9Lg[/YOUTUBE]

I don´t really like Ida´s voice, but I think she´s a good singer, but not in combination with Mika. It´s like to eat chocolate pudding with a bacon. Both of them are good but together it´s a big s**t! :biggrin2:

:shocked::lmfao:

I absolutely, totally, 100% agree with you. :roftl:

:bow:

As far as I'm concerned the best use Mika has come up with for Ida yet was the aria

on the arena tour last year. That was Ida doing what she does best rather than trying to squash her into a pop mould. :wub2:

I saw Nikki Yanofsky (who was hanging out with Mika in Montreal) do an amazing rendition of Old MacDonald's Farm last time I was in London.

[YOUTUBE]Kw1SJnzn9Lg[/YOUTUBE]

OH wow she´s cool!!

I never thought someone could SERIOUSLY sing Old MacDonald. Wow.:mf_rosetinted:

:shocked::lmfao:

I absolutely, totally, 100% agree with you. :roftl:

:bow:

As far as I'm concerned the best use Mika has come up with for Ida yet was the aria

on the arena tour last year. That was Ida doing what she does best rather than trying to squash her into a pop mould. :wub2:

Wow, I knew she was an excellent singer, it´s easy to hear it, even in BIOTW. But aaaargh. She´s sooo much opera. Imagine Mika rapping or screaming some heavy metal song :mf_rosetinted: It would be weird. Just like Ida in BIOTW. They are surely good friends, but Mika should realize this huge difference between her and him!

Mika, you´re a chocolate. Remember that. :mf_rosetinted:

On the 'catchy songs' topic discussed earlier - it simply means easy to remember and BIOTW is definitely one. So are Christina Aguleira's songs or at least most of them, IMO. You hear them once, they stop the music and you sing or whistle back the chorus afterwards.

Being catchy doesn't make a song a good one, of course, but it is the pre-requisite of a hit single nowadays.

OH wow she´s cool!!

I never thought someone could SERIOUSLY sing Old MacDonald. Wow.:mf_rosetinted:

She is a really good singer in terms of her technical skills but I think her voice as well as her personality still needs to mature for most of the songs in her portfolio. (I don't mean Old McDonald of course. )

Mika, you´re a chocolate. Remember that. :mf_rosetinted:

I have been thinking about your bacon and chocolate comparison... :roftl:

The way I interpret it is that chocolate may taste completely different, depending on the type and quality of ingredients you make it from and the flavours and spices you add to it but you can't do much with bacon, can you? :roftl: You can have bacon flavoured chocolate though. The key is to find the right way to blend these two, or, rather, use bacon only as some flavour rather than eating the two of them raw together. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

On the 'catchy songs' topic discussed earlier - it simply means easy to remember and BIOTW is definitely one. So are Christina Aguleira's songs or at least most of them, IMO. You hear them once, they stop the music and you sing or whistle back the chorus afterwards.

Being catchy doesn't make a song a good one, of course, but it is the pre-requisite of a hit single nowadays.

:original: for me all songs are easy to remember... some I like some I don't like... does it mean there are all catchy?:wink2:

in these terms all Mika's songs are catchy... not all of them are hits

blue eyes is very catchy....it's not a hit (I know, different reasons, marketing etc....boring to me . I don't care if it's a hit or not

but I can conclude that many people (including you) really care if Mika's song is a hit -am I right? I can understand that.

most of present catchy hits will be crap after a few years....imo:wink2:

Edited by Melisanda

:original: for me all songs are easy to remember... some I like some I don't like... does it mean there are all catchy?:wink2:

No, you don't understand what I mean, but never mind :wink2:

Good luck singing Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused after one listen :original:

I can conclude that many people (including you) really care if Mika's song is a hit -am I right?

No - but never mind.:wink2:

I conclude that not everyone can make the right conclusions all the time.

Let me try to explain once again: I think most Mika songs are catchy because the chorus is usually easy to remember.

The way you interpret 'catchy' is that it is something 'stupid and annoying' - that is not in line with the real meaning of it.

So it is just a language issue :wink2:

Edited by suzie

in these terms all Mika's songs are catchy... not all of them are hits

blue eyes is very catchy....it's not a hit (I know, different reasons, marketing etc....boring to me . I don't care if it's a hit or not

but I can conclude that many people (including you) really care if Mika's song is a hit -am I right? I can understand that

She means that it has to be catchy in order to be a hit, not that all catchy songs are hits. And certainly not that all catchy songs are exceptionally good songs and will stand the test of time.

EMD has a fantastic hook so it is very catchy but I'm sure most will agree it is not Mika's best song by far. And yet it is #1 in France, unlike all of his other songs except Relax.

I think it's important to Mika to have a few hits, nevermind us. We can talk about the merits of art or and the importance of quality all day long, but he has chosen to be a pop singer/songwriter for a career. The success of that is measured (at least in large part) by hit singles. If he wants to be some other kind of singer/songwriter/artist then there will be a different measurement, but for what he's doing you need to have hit songs to be considered very successful.

The way I interpret it is that chocolate may taste completely different, depending on the type and quality of ingredients you make it from and the flavours and spices you add to it but you can't do much with bacon, can you? :roftl: You can have bacon flavoured chocolate though. The key is to find the right way to blend these two, or, rather, use bacon only as some flavour rather than eating the two of them raw together. :teehee:

Ok, this was absolutely amazing. :teehee:

And many other things were as well. :roftl:

No, you don't understand what I mean, but never mind :wink2:

Good luck singing Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused after one listen :original:

No - but never mind.:wink2:

I conclude that not everyone can make the right conclusions all the time.

Let me try to explain once again: I think most Mika songs are catchy because the chorus is usually easy to remember.

The way you interpret 'catchy' is that it is something 'stupid and annoying' - that is not in line with the real meaning of it.

So it is just a language issue :wink2:

you said : "it simply means easy to remember" so I answered "for me all songs are easy to remember-doesn't mean they're all cAtchy" of course I understand what you mean , it's not t h a t difficult.....I just love to give other perspective and say things that are opposite, it's more interesting

and to me it's obvious that people unerstand words slightly differently, and that's not a really good definition for any word

I didn't say they're easy to s i n g but easy to remember.....

so you're saying nobody here cares if Mika has hits....

or you're saying you don't care...but I simply don't believe you here and I think you said that only to disagree cause I can give many examples (sure I won't look for them now) when your posts were about it....even biotw...you speak very often in terms of importance of hits, selling and marketing...

I don't need you to explain once again:original: you were not talking about Mika in your posts but about Aquilera as far as I remember... (I was talking about Mika just to give an example)

And I really don't like this teacher's term:roftl: ("let me try to explain once again")

I think only I know how I interpret catchy....

To me songs can be a) catchy-stupid or b) catchy interesting....

oh...so you know the r e a l meaning...I'm impressed....

Edited by Melisanda