Le Zénith, Nantes (12-10-2007) GIG REVIEWS

dcdeb

Were you at the MIKA show at Le Zenith in Nantes on 12-10-2007?

This is the thread for posting your reviews/reports and pics/vids!

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to hear and see what you have! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you at the MIKA show at Le Zenith in Nantes on 12-10-2007?

This is the thread for posting your reviews/reports and pics/vids!

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to hear and see what you have! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

great idea! *waiting* ;)

AAAH DcDeb I know in theory this new thread thing should work, but I find it very easy to locate the threads for each concert by the calendar link above, and that is the way I try to keep up with all the news. Is there a way we can have the reviews get posted into the calendar too, so we can see the hype before and during in the initial thread and then follow it up in the review thread, all in the same day on the calendar??

Just a little request from someone whose total sleep has been about 8 hours for the whole week!! MIKA you are killing me!!!:biggrin2:

OK, so Friday morning I got in the train to go to Nantes, by a nice hazard I was in the same coach as Lululitalienne from Mikawebsite. We managed to sit next to each other and were talking and she was so excited, someone told us "sorry I'm working can you lower the tone please"....

Arrived in Nantes where Pamette picked me up. Later we joined the girls at the Zénith, it was around 2.00pm, Biche, Fouchonneret, and all the others (mostly from Mikawebsite) were already there. Some tried to see him before the gig but did not succeed...

We waited hours and it was windy and we were quite cold...

At 6.30pm the doors opened, I was first on line and hastily walked (ran a little...) to the stage. I got first row right in front of the podium, I could not believe it (I'm a very big girl so obviously my running is not very good...)! I was between Biche and Fouchonneret. They made us sit and it was hurting so much cause there was a kind of metal thing under us with plenty of holes, it really hurt! Finally they told us to stand up and then it became crazy! People pushing us to the front so hard! Biche told me she had never experienced a Mika concert with such pushing, it was the worst she had ever seen. To finish with the pushing, I have to say that people were not behaved at all and pushed us like mad, many people before the gig and during the performance had to be evacuated. It seems that it was due to some young guys who were very proud of themselves because they finally manage to be quite in front this way, and due to crazy young girls also in their teens who went ballistic. Actually a security man asked me if I had water because given my corpulence if I fainted it would be problematic to take me out, so as soon as I did not feel well I should let them know... Of course, what happened, I started to feel weak (I have experienced fainting in hot and very closed spaces, which I had forgotten about, and he reminded me that indeed I might do it again), but Biche was a star, she told me he's stupid, what you experience is psychologic (which I was aware of). I was thinking : no way I made it there, I have 2-3 hours more to resist, no way I MUST MAKE IT!!! So very selfishly I asked for a bottle of water which I kept with me and drank and wet my face and neck all the time to avoid fainting, and it worked!!!

OK sorry I finish with my own life which is not subject here :naughty: . I'll do a second post for the concert.

Thanks Em for the review!

And everyone for keeping us all updated, it's much appreciated!

The stage already reminds me "Tom Sawyer"......but with this song it's soooooooooo obvious!!!!:biggrin2:

Holly Johnny:

Holy Moly!

Am I the only one who hates this "new" Holy Johnny??

It was one of my favourite songs, I absolutely adore the way he used to sing it, and I think that he's totally killed it now.

I loved the way it was only Mika's voice and the guitar (well, mostly) and now I find that the "second" voice should not be there at all.

In my opinion it totally ruins the mood of the song and changes it beyond recognition.

Also I think her voice has too much presence and kind of pushes Mika's singing out of the equation...I am sad to say that I'm majorly disappointed with this.

I'm already disliking this new "second voice" singer, where is lovely Lorna?? I understand that Lorna needs to have her own life, but this woman seems a bit too "strong" in his show and I think that Mika runs the risk of losing his "solo" status if he keeps her in all the songs and gives her such a presence.

Only my 2 cents, I'm sorry if others disagree, and I don't want to upset anyone, but I was just very, very disappointed when I heard this rendition of the song.

It's too different for my liking.

OK' date=' so Friday morning I got in the train to go to Nantes, by a nice hazard I was in the same coach as Lululitalienne from Mikawebsite. We managed to sit next to each other and were talking and she was so excited, someone told us "sorry I'm working can you lower the tone please"....

Arrived in Nantes where Pamette picked me up. Later we joined the girls at the Zénith, it was around 2.00pm, Biche, Fouchonneret, and all the others (mostly from Mikawebsite) were already there. Some tried to see him before the gig but did not succeed...

At 6.30pm the doors opened, I was first on line and hastily walked (ran a little...) to the stage. I got first row right in front of the podium, I could not believe it (I'm a very big girl so obviously my running is not very good...)! I was between Biche and Fouchonneret. They made us sit and it was hurting so much cause there was a kind of metal thing under us with plenty of holes, it really hurt! Finally they told us to stand up and then it became crazy! People pushing us to the front so hard! Biche told me she had never experienced a Mika concert with such pushing, it was the worst she had ever seen. To finish with the pushing, I have to say that people were not behaved at all and pushed us like mad, many people before the gig and during the performance had to be evacuated. It seems that it was due to some young guys who were very proud of themselves because they finally manage to be quite in front this way, and due to crazy young girls also in their teens who went ballistic. Actually a security man asked me if I had water because given my corpulence if I fainted it would be problematic to take me out, so as soon as I did not feel well I should let them know... Of course, what happened, I started to feel weak (I have experienced fainting in hot and very closed spaces, which I had forgotten about, and he reminded me that indeed I might do it again), but Biche was a star, she told me he's stupid, what you experience is psychologic (which I was aware of). I was thinking : no way I made it there, I have 2-3 hours more to resist, no way I MUST MAKE IT!!! So very selfishly I asked for a bottle of water which I kept with me and drank and wet my face and neck all the time to avoid fainting, and it worked!!!

OK sorry I finish with my own life which is not subject here :naughty: . I'll do a second post for the concert.[/quote']

lol don't worry!

I'm glad you were first row! but the pushing is crazy! in paris there was no pushing at all I was so suprised about that! and we had quite a lot of space! really strange if I think back upon it!

OK' date=' so Friday morning I got in the train to go to Nantes, by a nice hazard I was in the same coach as Lululitalienne from Mikawebsite. We managed to sit next to each other and were talking and she was so excited, someone told us "sorry I'm working can you lower the tone please"....

OK sorry I finish with my own life which is not subject here :naughty: . I'll do a second post for the concert.[/quote']

Pushing is HORRID. In Atlanta, I was so angry at the dumb little girls to my right (there was about three of them, sisters, between about 13 and 17) that I cussed at them. I came 3 1/2 hours early, got at the very front right next to the stage, and ended up getting pushed out because of them. I made a point to block the view of the shortest one during the concert because I was taller than her and I was pissed.

Pushing is HORRID. In Atlanta, I was so angry at the dumb little girls to my right (there was about three of them, sisters, between about 13 and 17) that I cussed at them. I came 3 1/2 hours early, got at the very front right next to the stage, and ended up getting pushed out because of them. I made a point to block the view of the shortest one during the concert because I was taller than her and I was pissed.

I totally understand, Hannah. I would have felt exactly the same. :sneaky2: It'so wrong and inconsiderate (and potentially dangerous!) of people to do that.

Thanks for the thread Deb. I thought my suggestion was falling on deaf ears. I think it will be great once everyone figures out where the reports go.

Em, sorry you got so squashed. I know how that kind of thing can really ruin your experience. I'm not heavy but I don't do well in that kind of environment either, especially if it's hot. I'm glad you were able to stick it out since you had such a great position in front of the stage.

I was there the night that he first sang Holy Johnny. He sang the entire song directly to Martin (raised a few eyebrows, let me tell you! :naughty:). It was a wonderful, intimate performance, but the stage wasn't much wider than my living room.

Mika needed to expand the performance because that kind of thing is not going to work in a room of 6000 people unless you happen to be one of the 20 or so people standing directly in front of Mika and Martin. He's got a huge stage to fill and I think he's done a good job of it. Most of the people in the audience have probably never heard Holy Johnny before so they won't know the difference.

I can't fathom how they could dream of having general admission in a 6,000 capacity room. It can be bad enough in a small club. I remember people were killed during a Who concert in the '70s and now most large venues in North America are seated.

I'm going to London in a few weeks, but I hope it's the last time I ever have to stand for a Mika concert. The small club scene was great, but I hope the next time he comes to North America he will play large, seated venues. I'd rather buy expensive front row tickets than waste all day standing in line and being squashed and shoved throughout the concert.

Yelle started, the pushing was terrible but the atmosfear very good. Actually I never thought it was possible but you get used to her stuff and can have fun on it...

Anyway, after Yelle finished, the pushing was terrible, before, meanwhile and after Yelle, Biche and I had to put our fists agains the podium in front of us to resist the pushing many times...

And then Mika arrived! Oh my God he was so near it was unbelievable!!! It was my very first experience right in front of him during a whole show, and it was just brilliant to see him live the best concert of his life!

To answer some questions about the show itself:

No trumpets, no cords

No big girls

He took his shirt off for LT

Luke is indeed the skeleton!

The crowd was so frenzy, while he was at the piano he was looking at the crowd, gigling and speachless, looking at the band, with an expression like: Wow I've never seen this that crazy before!

Of course he came to sing and dance in front of us regularly, I had my flashing heart on (thanks Pamette! I'm so sorry you did not get to be front row with us, you would have been more at ease, second row was so hard to stand because of all those stupid jerks! And I would have loved to have you no so far away from me so we could have shared the experience together!).

And and... I experienced for the very first time AN EYE CONNECTION OF 2 LONG SECONDS!!!! Woaw that was amazing! I wondered if he had recognized me from the previous night, but I doubt so. Later he looked on my direction several times but I think it was more to look at us as a group.

So during the gig he looked at the crowd and his band a few times with a Wow expression, he could not believe what he had in front of him, the crowd was so crazy, it was so powerful, I think it might have overwhelmed him :blush-anim-cl: !

And then disappointment: he asked his band to do Aux Champs-Elysées (the old French song he performed at Taratata) but they had not rehearsed it, so he said, well OK next time :tears: .

When Lollipop finished, he did not disappear fast as usual, he stayed a little more, I guess he was seeing the whole crowd so cheery he felt bad disappearing...

Then he left, and people started very slowly to move, Fouchonneret and Biche were already leaving to go to the artists exit. I got stuck with Lululitalienne as she was worried as she could not find her bag... People were screaming MI-KA MI-KA MI-KA!!! I still had a hand on the fence, I was gonna leave when I saw Luke coming back! I pulled myself back to the fence and could keep my post! The band came back, the Relax lights started, and then THEY STARTED THE FIRST NOTES OF RELAX AGAIN!!! Mika asked us in French: do we do it again? Oh my God it was so unbelievable!!!

When Relax finished it was still crazy, they all joined together and came in front of the stage to bow to us all, holding hands! Actually he was after Lollipop and after Relax giving us thumbs up to say we were all great !

He told us, I think it was after Relax, something like I know I have already told you this (he had during the concert, mentioning like in Paris: we were 600 at the Trabendo and now we are 7000 and this is thanks to you!), but I really want to thank you and then he said I quote : MERCI POUR LE MEILLEUR CONCERT DE MA VIE!!!! And he finally left the stage and he was the last to leave, with his thumb up all the time, like WE WERE AWESOME :biggrin2::cool: !

Also, I think it was at the end of Lollipop, because they still had their animal costumes on, Cherisse pushed him, the band made him fall and they all lied on top of him they were having so much fun! :roftl: But it might have been at the end of Relax, though I doubt so, if I remember well they had taken out their animal outfits for Relax.

I'm sorry guys my thoughts are all messy, I can't place all the events in order, maybe someone will correct a few mistakes later but I think I've been pretty accurate...

So we left and I found Pamette in the hall (poor her, she left before Lollipop and ended throwing up in the bathroom due to the heat and the pushing, but at least she managed to steal a big poster of Mika LICM cover from a wall :naughty: ).

Next post: the meeting

Yelle started' date=' the pushing was terrible but the atmosfear very good. Actually I never thought it was possible but you get used to her stuff and can have fun on it...

Anyway, after Yelle finished, the pushing was terrible, before, meanwhile and after Yelle, Biche and I had to put our fists agains the podium in front of us to resist the pushing many times...

And then Mika arrived! Oh my God he was so near it was unbelievable!!! It was my very first experience right in front of him during a whole show, and it was just brilliant to see him live the best concert of his life!

To answer some questions about the show itself:

No trumpets, no cords

No big girls

He took his shirt off for LT

Luke is indeed the skeleton!

The crowd was so frenzy, while he was at the piano he was looking at the crowd, gigling and speachless, looking at the band, with an expression like: Wow I've never seen this that crazy before!

Of course he came to sing and dance in front of us regularly, I had my flashing heart on (thanks Pamette! I'm so sorry you did not get to be front row with us, you would have been more at ease, second row was so hard to stand because of all those stupid jerks! And I would have loved to have you no so far away from me so we could have shared the experience together!).

And and... I experienced for the very first time AN EYE CONNECTION OF 2 LONG SECONDS!!!! Woaw that was amazing! I wondered if he had recognized me from the previous night, but I doubt so. Later he looked on my direction several times but I think it was more to look at us as a group.

So during the gig he looked at the crowd and his band a few times with a Wow expression, he could not believe what he had in front of him, the crowd was so crazy, it was so powerful, I think it might have overwhelmed him !

And then disappointment: he asked his band to do Aux Champs-Elysées (the old French song he performed at Taratata) but they had not rehearsed it, so he said, well OK next time :tears: .

When Lollipop finished, he did not disappear fast as usual, he stayed a little more, I guess he was seeing the whole crowd so cheery he felt bad disappearing...

Then he left, and people started very slowly to move, Fouchonneret and Biche were already leaving to go to the artists exit. I got stuck with Lululitalienne as she was worried as she could not find her bag... People were screaming MI-KA MI-KA MI-KA!!! I still had a hand on the fence, I was gonna leave when I saw Luke coming back! I pulled myself back to the fence and could keep my post! The band came back, the Relax lights started, and then THEY STARTED THE FIRST NOTES OF RELAX AGAIN!!! Mika asked us in French: do we do it again? Oh my God it was so unbelievable!!!

When Relax finished it was still crazy, they all joined together and came in front of the stage to bow to us all, holding hands! Actually he was after Lollipop and after Relax giving us thumbs up to say we were all great !

He told us, I think it was after Relax, something like I know I have already told you this (he had during the concert, mentioning like in Paris: we were 600 at the Trabendo and now we are 7000 and this is thanks to you!), but I really want to thank you and then he said I quote : MERCI POUR LE MEILLEUR CONCERT DE MA VIE!!!! And he finally left the stage and he was the last to leave, with his thumb up all the time, like WE WERE AWESOME :biggrin2::cool: !

Also, I think it was at the end of Lollipop, because they still had their animal costumes on, Cherisse pushed him, the band made him fall and they all lied on top of him they were having so much fun! :roftl: But it might have been at the end of Relax, though I doubt so, if I remember well they had taken out their animal outfits for Relax.

I'm sorry guys my thoughts are all messy, I can't place all the events in order, maybe someone will correct a few mistakes later but I think I've been pretty accurate...

So we left and I found Pamette in the hall (poor her, she left before Lollipop and ended throwing up in the bathroom due to the heat and the pushing, but at least she managed to steal a big poster of Mika LICM cover from a wall :naughty: ).

Next post: the meeting[/quote']

WOW!!! coolness :):thumb_yello:

I really want to thank you and then he said I quote : MERCI POUR LE MEILLEUR CONCERT DE MA VIE!!!! And he finally left the stage and he was the last to leave' date=' with his thumb up all the time, like WE WERE AWESOME :biggrin2::cool: ![/quote']

That must have been a thrill to hear, especially since you were up at the front making eye contact with him.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fantastic concert!

Thanks Em for the review!

And everyone for keeping us all updated, it's much appreciated!

Holy Moly!

Am I the only one who hates this "new" Holy Johnny??

It was one of my favourite songs, I absolutely adore the way he used to sing it, and I think that he's totally killed it now.

I loved the way it was only Mika's voice and the guitar (well, mostly) and now I find that the "second" voice should not be there at all.

In my opinion it totally ruins the mood of the song and changes it beyond recognition.

Also I think her voice has too much presence and kind of pushes Mika's singing out of the equation...I am sad to say that I'm majorly disappointed with this.

I'm already disliking this new "second voice" singer, where is lovely Lorna?? I understand that Lorna needs to have her own life, but this woman seems a bit too "strong" in his show and I think that Mika runs the risk of losing his "solo" status if he keeps her in all the songs and gives her such a presence.

Only my 2 cents, I'm sorry if others disagree, and I don't want to upset anyone, but I was just very, very disappointed when I heard this rendition of the song.

It's too different for my liking.

Yeah, I agree!!!!

It is the one thing I hate about general admission- even in Sydney where the venue only held 1000 (and had 3 balcony levels) we still got pushed out of our spots..)

and then he said I quote : MERCI POUR LE MEILLEUR CONCERT DE MA VIE!!!! And he finally left the stage and he was the last to leave' date=' with his thumb up all the time, like WE WERE AWESOME :biggrin2::cool: !

[/quote']

Oh I can feel so much emotion here, it made me :tears:....but tears of JOY for you all. He just has to keep doing better and better concerts!!

As for the pushing, I hate that. In Tokyo the crowd at the concert was like the rush hour trains, and I ended up standing on only one foot with my clothes nearly torn off...and we were only 1000 people, I cannot imagin the pressure of 6000 people.

I wonder if MIKA knows how much pushing is happening. I can't wait for the seated stadium type shows to eventuate!! (the oldling in me!!):wink2: