Mika Whimsicals It Up

dcdeb

This is just a blog, not a newspaper article, but it's a nice write-up with

some pics :)

mika_061407_03.jpg

J. Harvey here. Last night I caught the Mika show down at Avalon. It was during a Sox game, and if you're not a Bostonian - let me tell you about trying to get to Landsdowne St. where Avalon is on the night of a Sox game. Let's put it this way - one side of Fenway Park is ON Landsdowne St.! So traffic ain't pretty! I had to park at friggin' Boston University and that was pure luck. Anyway, it was worth it cuz' Mika puts on a show. My boyfriend *hearts* this guy and my boyfriend is not one for teen idols.

Mika's this Lebanese/British wound up caterwauling lanky guy with Freddie Mercury running through his veins and Pre-Raphaelite curls on top. His debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion" is hot on iTunes, and he's huuugggggeee in the U.K. And he puts on a hot show. It was the weirdest fan base mix I've ever seen at a show. You had:

* grandmothers (seriously)

* mothers

* young kids (like I would say in the 12-15 range, both girls and boys)

* teen girls

* curvaceous teen girls

* twenty-something women with expensive purses and blouses from Anthropologie

* gays - both twink and average

What's going on here? I was talking to the bartender about it. We figured it was because he was a featured artist on iTunes and everyone caught on at the same time? And he doesn't look like the kind of guy who would inspire your daughter to Manic Panic her hair and cut up on herself? His new single is "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), and I have never seen so many large and lovely teen girls jump and rock out as I did last night to that song. It brought a tear to my eye. His music is all opera cartoony positive epic danceable audience-charming. People love this cat. It was pretty infectious, and I am a cynical bitch. It ended with this chant along song "Lollipop" and he and his band came out in animal costumes and there were oversize balloons and confetti. It was like the Flaming Lips but less druggy. I'd see him again, if only to marvel at twinks rocking out next to 12 year old girls rocking out next to Nana Carol.

mika_061407_04.jpg

mika_061407_01.jpg

mika_061407_02.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That IS a good write up :thumb_yello: but I must be in the older bracket cos I dunno what a "twink" is, who is gonna tell this granny how to suck eggs?? lmao (ok ok well I aint a granny but I do feel like a teenager in an old skin :thumbdown: not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol. the main thing is THIS IS FUN! And I sure agree with the guy about that .

...wait a second. Are these glittery gold suspenders he's wearing? Does anyone have picture of them from the back, please???

--Jack

There's no rear view on the blog, Jack -- but they sure look gold and glittery

to me in that one pic. Did you give those to him? :biggrin2:

dcdeb

Ha, I changed my post because on closer inspection they have a white back, and the ones I gave him had a black one. But I wonder if they are gold or silver. The ones he wore in DC were silver and sparkly, and I was excited about that--I hadn't noticed he had a pair of gold sparklies before.

--Jack

Jack, I think these are pics from the Sydney concert. That was the only time Mika had the band paint the equation on their foreheads :biggrin2: ...

you can compare with these Sydney pics : http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5123 (from the second page Avoca posted some really clear ones)

(although there are tons of great ones floating around ...particularly in the Mika in Australia - Sydney June 2nd thread...)

You know, I wondered about that... but there hadn't been enough Boston

report yet to know if they had painted the marks on their foreheads

again.

Good research, titania! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

That IS a good write up :thumb_yello: but I must be in the older bracket cos I dunno what a "twink" is, who is gonna tell this granny how to suck eggs?? lmao (ok ok well I aint a granny but I do feel like a teenager in an old skin :thumbdown: not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol. the main thing is THIS IS FUN! And I sure agree with the guy about that .

I think twink = (very) skinny, gay guy. Not sure, though.

Jack, I think these are pics from the Sydney concert. That was the only time Mika had the band paint the equation on their foreheads :biggrin2: ...

you can compare with these Sydney pics : http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5123 (from the second page Avoca posted some really clear ones)

(although there are tons of great ones floating around ...particularly in the Mika in Australia - Sydney June 2nd thread...)

Ah, you are right--I'd been wondering why the Big Girls were in red, too!

Oh well, if I had paid closer attention to the Sydney pics, I'd have kown he already has sparkly gold braces, dammit.

--Jack

I think it only confirms what you said about being on the same wavelength as the man .... besides mika can never have enough of sparkly, it's a fact :wink2:

why thank you SO much and NO of course I didn't twiddle with anyone's words :roftl::roftl::naughty::naughty: