NIBE is sueing MIKA? .. Or threatening with it at least

EnFa

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(I hope not. I know he really seemed to have no idea where he was going next when he was in DC, and had to ask Jerry about his schedule. But... I am having a hard time buying him as a voiceless victim as well. This is why I wish we'd just get answers.)

--Jack

I don't buy it at all. Mika not remembering what show he's playing the next night is just a lapse in memory. I've seen him flub in interviews because he can't recall where he is at that exact moment. But he'd have to be mentally challenged to seriously have to rely on his management to tell him where he is!

I think keeping his schedule straight in his head at any given moment and participating in the planning of his performances are two entirely different things. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's committed himself to even if he can't remember at 2 am whether it's on Tuesday or Thursday.

Having said that I don't feel like I need to "buy" anything. I think Mika and his management are dealing with a few can't-miss opportunities that conflict with a schedule he booked way too long beforehand and also some unexpected physical problems. He's taking a calculated risk to do what's best for his career and probably his physical state and it's unfortunate that some fans have to suffer and his word with festival organizers has been compromised.

I hope it pays off for him and he doesn't find himself needing these gigs (and others) next summer only to find he has been branded unreliable and blacklisted because he no longer has a number one hit.

Whatever is or isn't going on, don't expect to ever get a proper explanation from Mika. His management told the festival organizers whatever they needed to in order to break the contract and they're not going to contradict those excuses publicly by explaining what really happened.

His management told the festival organizers whatever they needed to in order to break the contract and they're not going to contradict those excuses publicly by explaining what really happened.

No they didn't. They never got tthe medical statement that he was sick.

I hope it pays off for him and he doesn't find himself needing these gigs (and others) next summer only to find he has been branded unreliable and blacklisted because he no longer has a number one hit.

Whatever is or isn't going on, don't expect to ever get a proper explanation from Mika. His management told the festival organizers whatever they needed to in order to break the contract and they're not going to contradict those excuses publicly by explaining what really happened.

You actually scare me with this. I hope he's not getting labeled as unreliable and I truly believe many number one hits will follow even next year or the year after next year. But that could be just me ofcourse.

But I think that your story has got some awful true things and that frightens me the most. I hope this all will have a happy ending. If someone is going to a gig (that isn't cancelled) and they happen to get the chance to talk to Mika, can't they ask fir an explanation?

...If someone is going to a gig (that isn't cancelled) and they happen to get the chance to talk to Mika, can't they ask fir an explanation?

I was thinking about that too! 'cos, we can't really believe the media.. Only the things from the cancelled shows (Nibe and Roskilde for example) even tho they have been given the WRONG information somehow from THEM

It's been raining a lot in Denmark, lately, hasn't it ? :naughty:

Don't worry, Texas is having the same misery. It's been raining for almost 3 months straight. It's like the whole of the rain for the entire USA is being dumped on us instead.

This all reminds me of a couple of years back, when I was going to trek to the US to see JC Chasez, who was supporting Brittany Spears. Then she broke her knee and it all got cancelled. At the time I couldn't see why they just didn't let him continue in smaller venues, and was incredibily upset (much like the Danish fans here), but I knew it wasn't his fault and still to this day wish he would come here and do some gigs (MIKA IF YOU'RE READING THIS, AND NEED A SUPPORT ACT FOR NOVEMBER, I BEG YOU TO THINK ABOUT LETTING JC BE IT).

I have to admit I didn't like miss Spears before, but liked her even less after that. I know it was an accident, but when you've spent money on air fare, hotel room and gig ticket, you don't think that way,as it has shown on here over the past few days.

I still like JC and feel he hasn't ever been treated properly by his back up team or record company, and can't help seeing certain similarities between him and Mika (although Mika is doing far better than JC), and as far as lawsuits are concerned, Brittany got sued by the insurance company and had to settle with them, so I can only assume that Mika will most likely do the same.

My oh my. I come back and first read that he's sick and now I read that there's question to whether he was and that he's been cancelling certain shows. I haven't been on here for about 3 weeks and am still trying to catch up on all this stuff so it may take a while but if anyone wouldn't mind quickly filling me in, that'd be great. If not, it will take me awhile. When I got back a few days ago, it said I had 72,668 new posts! :shocked: What a nightmare! Then because of health problems I couldn't get on for another few days, it said there's been over 10,000 new posts! I'll never catch up!

I totally understand how incredibly pissed off you may be (of course, probably not to the full extent, I'll admit), but honestly, this is show-business. Things like this happen, and they suck and are horrible, but nothing new. Mika is still the same old Mika, and I'll support him no matter what. This is a very disappointing situation, but it's not as if Mika thought to himself, "Let's NOT do this festival because I don't like them." He loves all of his fans. Give him a break, guys! He's a human being, not a super-human figure.

It isn't the cancellation as such. That would have been ok. I kind of even expected it to happen. It's just that Nibe was cancelled due to a lack of voice and a few hours later this secret gig took place where he was obviously able to speak again.

Nop, I don't expect anything either which doesn't make me feel much more comfortable :blink: .

But I think that your story has got some awful true things and that frightens me the most. I hope this all will have a happy ending. If someone is going to a gig (that isn't cancelled) and they happen to get the chance to talk to Mika, can't they ask fir an explanation?

Oh yes!!!!! Somerset House, I'm coming! :mf_rosetinted:

It's still not the cancelling itself we're mad about. It's the lying and secret gigs.. THEM has been ****ing with us :mf_rosetinted:

So true!

I think Mika and his management are dealing with a few can't-miss opportunities that conflict with a schedule he booked way too long beforehand and also some unexpected physical problems. He's taking a calculated risk to do what's best for his career and probably his physical state and it's unfortunate that some fans have to suffer and his word with festival organizers has been compromised.

Oh, I agree with this. However, I do think they blatantly overbooked him and it had been obvious at least a month before. They should have expected that he would develop these health problems and not be able to continue at the previous pace, and taken steps accordingly much-much earlier. And also... I admit it was totally unrealistic and utopian of me and I always knew it, but I'd wished the whole Mika enterprise would not come to the point where he would--due to the whole calculated risk factor--have to start treating some countries (and by extension, fans) as disposable, and some as first-priority. I understand he's human, I understand this happens, I understand this is even to be expected--but whenever it does happen, it always leaves a sour taste. He has my understanding, but the fans who've been stood-up have my sympathy. (He doesn't want it anyway. :wink2:) Well, okay... I have sympathy for him too, especially since I'm sure he really hasn't been feeling well and has been pushing himself to perform even at shows he did make. But whichever way you look at it, what happened on the Mika end of things was not good.

--Jack

And back to the commercial aspect which lately seems to be the only one. Sad but illusionary to think record companies would make a difference because it is MIKA. Why should they? They think in monetary terms and it is not their loss if the magic is gone one day but ours and Mika's. *shrug*

Guest Sofia
Oh, I agree with this. However, I do think they blatantly overbooked him and it had been obvious at least a month before. They should have expected that he would develop these health problems and not be able to continue at the previous pace, and taken steps accordingly much-much earlier. And also... I admit it was totally unrealistic and utopian of me and I always knew it, but I'd wished the whole Mika enterprise would not come to the point where he would--due to the whole calculated risk factor--have to start treating some countries (and by extension, fans) as disposable, and some as first-priority. I understand he's human, I understand this happens, I understand this is even to be expected--but whenever it does happen, it always leaves a sour taste. He has my understanding, but the fans who've been stood-up have my sympathy. (He doesn't want it anyway. :wink2:) Well, okay... I have sympathy for him too, especially since I'm sure he really hasn't been feeling well and has been pushing himself to perform even at shows he did make. But whichever way you look at it, what happened on the Mika end of things was not good.

--Jack

Very well said!! I totally agree.:bleh::thumb_yello:

I understand he's human, I understand this happens, I understand this is even to be expected--but whenever it does happen, it always leaves a sour taste. He has my understanding, but the fans who've been stood-up have my sympathy. (He doesn't want it anyway. :wink2:) Well, okay... I have sympathy for him too, especially since I'm sure he really hasn't been feeling well and has been pushing himself to perform even at shows he did make. But whichever way you look at it, what happened on the Mika end of things was not good.

--Jack

No it's not good, but I don't think it's as shameful and shocking as some are making it out to be. I understand that people feel connected to Mika and that he has touched them in a very personal way, but when all is said and done Mika is a pop star, not a friend of ours. Our connection to him is borne of the fact that he does what he does for a living.

It's his prerogative to make decisions he feels he needs to make for his career and he doesn't expect fans to wring their hands and keep some sort of vigil over him because of a press release made by a festival indicating his health is poor. For all we know the festival organizers are simply throwing around words like "pneumonia" to cover their own asses from irate ticket buyers. Whatever the case, the excuses had a lot more to do with breaking his contract than simply trying to fool fans into feeling sorry for him while he ran off to play a better gig.

Fans seem to project a lot onto Mika and much of it is unrealistic. Their ideas about how things work in the music business are often naive. People have expectations of him based on ideas that he is flying around in a private jet or making tons of money or being beaten into submission by evil managers or that it requires superhuman powers to keep a schedule like he does even though lots of artists have been doing it longer than Mika.

I understand fans getting pissed off because they've made arrangements to see him and he cancelled his appearance. It's a huge inconvenience and it's obviously disappointing. But it seems that what people are most disappointed about is that Mika is just a musician trying to make a living instead of this demi-god that everyone has built him up to be.

Gigs get cancelled all the time. That's something ticketbuyers need to keep in mind when they make risky decisions like buying expensive tickets they can't afford or booking non-refundable flights. It's one of the reasons I didn't go to see Mika in Boston. It's not because I thought Mika was an irresponsible flake or that he was bound to come down with pneumonia. But sh*t just happens and you have to take that into consideration. There's never any guarantee that a show is going to happen.

No it's not good, but I don't think it's as shameful and shocking as some are making it out to be. I understand that people feel connected to Mika and that he has touched them in a very personal way, but when all is said and done Mika is a pop star, not a friend of ours. Our connection to him is borne of the fact that he does what he does for a living.

It's his prerogative to make decisions he feels he needs to make for his career and he doesn't expect fans to wring their hands and keep some sort of vigil over him because of a press release made by a festival indicating his health is poor. For all we know the festival organizers are simply throwing around words like "pneumonia" to cover their own asses from irate ticket buyers. Whatever the case, the excuses had a lot more to do with breaking his contract than simply trying to fool fans into feeling sorry for him while he ran off to play a better gig.

Fans seem to project a lot onto Mika and much of it is unrealistic. Their ideas about how things work in the music business are often naive. People have expectations of him based on ideas that he is flying around in a private jet or making tons of money or being beaten into submission by evil managers or that it requires superhuman powers to keep a schedule like he does even though lots of artists have been doing it longer than Mika.

I understand fans getting pissed off because they've made arrangements to see him and he cancelled his appearance. It's a huge inconvenience and it's obviously disappointing. But it seems that what people are most disappointed about is that Mika is just a musician trying to make a living instead of this demi-god that everyone has built him up to be.

Gigs get cancelled all the time. That's something ticketbuyers need to keep in mind when they make risky decisions like buying expensive tickets they can't afford or booking non-refundable flights. It's one of the reasons I didn't go to see Mika in Boston. It's not because I thought Mika was an irresponsible flake or that he was bound to come down with pneumonia. But sh*t just happens and you have to take that into consideration. There's never any guarantee that a show is going to happen.

Nice statement. I think we just have to accept it the way it is and somehow close this thread until we have further news from Nibe.

Good night.

That was very well said..

I've read a couple things you've written considering this matter and am in complete agreement. Mika is just a person like everyone else and like you said sh** happens

Hmmm, mostly I agree, but just as an artist has the prerogative to make business decisions that may alienate some fans, some fans have the prerogative to feel alienated. An artist doesn't owe the fans to be their friend and their idol, but the fans don't owe the artist unquestioning, criticism-free devotion either.

An artists may not intend his fans to hold a candle vigil for his health, but he should expect that many will feel quite concerned, and also that contradicting statements will be found out and that people do not like being lied to/manipulated. He may decide to do so anyway, because it may seem like the necessary thing to do in specific circumstances, or the most financially viable. However, if cancelled shows are to be expected, so is backlash.

And I do think in general honoring your show commitments is basic professional decency. (Certainly, if I pay for a ticket, I do think the artist owes it to me to perform in return for my money, or else refund it.) Obviously, sh*t happens, but one should try to minimize such sh*t.

Mind you, I don't think this is the end of the world. As I said before, I understand what I think to be Mika's position--his camp overextended themselves, and they're trying to muddle through as best they can now. Some things I think were handled very badly, some things were handled the only way they could be, some were handled pretty well. But I do think some of the fans have a right to be angry and upset, and I think it's not fair to them to tell them they're being unreasonable for it. Feeling personally betrayed is excessive, but professionally betrayed? Justified, I think. We all love Mika, but we don't have to love him blindly.

Also, I think some of this is the joint fault of the fans and of Mika. Mika did, pretty consciously, set himself up as Not Another Popstar, and in fact Better Than Your Usual Popstar, and we the fans loved him for it. He did things that were above and beyond the call of duty for your usual popstar, and we recognized that and adored him for it, but for better or worse, that raised our expectations also. It was stupid to believe he could continue to go on like that on the fan side, but it wasn't the smartest thing to set himself up like this in the first place from Mika's side. (Unfair, yes, but once you surpass people's expectations, they tend to hold you to that watermark. Here I think he was too nice and could have been a bit more cold and calculating. I'm not blaming him for being naturally nice, mind, I'm just explaining.) So now maybe we are all coming off our honeymoon a little bit. I should note here that Mika is still Better Than Your Usual Popstar in most parameters--just not as perfect as he may have appeared at first. Again, this is expected (and I certainly expected it), but it always hurts a little. It's okay though. We'll all work out a more realistic set of expectations of how this whole Mika enterprise is going to work soon--on both sides.

And of course we all still love him. Just because people are upset about a mistake, or even a set of mistakes, doesn't mean they throw out all their affection for a person.

--Jack

P.S. Mind you, half the time I argue this side because I much prefer to hear people defending Mika to me than the opposite, and having to defend him myself. :mf_rosetinted: This way I can be pleasantly persuaded.

Mind you, I don't think this is the end of the world. As I said before, I understand what I think to be Mika's position--his camp overextended themselves, and they're trying to muddle through as best they can now. Some things I think were handled very badly, some things were handled the only way they could be, some were handled pretty well. But I do think some of the fans have a right to be angry and upset, and I think it's not fair to them to tell them they're being unreasonable for it. Feeling personally betrayed is excessive, but professionally betrayed? Justified, I think. We all love Mika, but we don't have to love him blindly.

Also, I think some of this is the joint fault of the fans and of Mika. Mika did, pretty consciously, set himself up as Not Another Popstar, and in fact Better Than Your Usual Popstar, and we the fans loved him for it. He did things that were above and beyond the call of duty for your usual popstar, and we recognized that and adored him for it, but for better or worse, that raised our expectations also. It was stupid to believe he could continue to go on like that on the fan side, but it wasn't the smartest thing to set himself up like this in the first place from Mika's side. (Unfair, yes, but once you surpass people's expectations, they tend to hold you to that watermark. Here I think he was too nice and could have been a bit more cold and calculating. I'm not blaming him for being naturally nice, mind, I'm just explaining.) So now maybe we are all coming off our honeymoon a little bit. I should note here that Mika is still Better Than Your Usual Popstar in most parameters--just not as perfect as he may have appeared at first. Again, this is expected (and I certainly expected it), but it always hurts a little. It's okay though. We'll all work out a more realistic set of expectations of how this whole Mika enterprise is going to work soon--on both sides.

And of course we all still love him. Just because people are upset about a mistake, or even a set of mistakes, doesn't mean they throw out all their affection for a person.

--Jack

P.S. Mind you, half the time I argue this side because I much prefer to hear people defending Mika to me than the opposite, and having to defend him myself. :mf_rosetinted: This way I can be pleasantly persuaded.

* defend * :raygun: LOL

I think he HAS a calculating side, attested by all the long term planning issues he always talks about in interviews. Still this has never affected his behaviour towards his fans. I think there is some kind of consense in here that his management is to be blamed for the greatest deal of the incorrect planning but it all comes back to Mika and affects his reputation of course.

And maybe he was aware before of what it really means to be part of this big music industry rat race. Maybe he knew before that he couldn't hold up his autonomy as much as he would like to and hinge on THEIR decisions and above all THEIR money. Maybe it is just the fans who only now come to that conclusion. It's sad though.

but when all is said and done Mika is a pop star, not a friend of ours. Our connection to him is borne of the fact that he does what he does for a living.

It's his prerogative to make decisions he feels he needs to make for his career ...

Fans seem to project a lot onto Mika and much of it is unrealistic. Their ideas about how things work in the music business are often naive.

I understand fans getting pissed off because they've made arrangements to see him and he cancelled his appearance.

Gigs get cancelled all the time. That's something ticketbuyers need to keep in mind when they make risky decisions like buying expensive tickets ...

But sh*t just happens and you have to take that into consideration. There's never any guarantee that a show is going to happen.

.. An artist doesn't owe the fans to be their friend and their idol, but the fans don't owe the artist unquestioning, criticism-free devotion either.

However, if cancelled shows are to be expected, so is backlash.

And I do think in general honoring your show commitments is basic professional decency. (Certainly, if I pay for a ticket, I do think the artist owes it to me to perform in return for my money, or else refund it.) Obviously, sh*t happens, but one should try to minimize such sh*t.

Mind you, I don't think this is the end of the world.

But I do think some of the fans have a right to be angry and upset, and I think it's not fair to them to tell them they're being unreasonable for it. Feeling personally betrayed is excessive, but professionally betrayed? Justified, I think. We all love Mika, but we don't have to love him blindly.

--Jack

Once again, Christine & Jack have summed it up very well. Their posts have given us a dose of the reality medicine that many of us needed. Thank you!:thumb_yello:

Hmmm, mostly I agree, but just as an artist has the prerogative to make business decisions that may alienate some fans, some fans have the prerogative to feel alienated. An artist doesn't owe the fans to be their friend and their idol, but the fans don't owe the artist unquestioning, criticism-free devotion either.

<snip>

I totally agree about the professional decency. I'm not suggesting that Mika can renege on his commitments repeatedly and with impunity unless he is prepared to make a direct statement to the public that his health is danger. And of course he needs to follow through on his statement by getting bedrest and not playing other gigs.

I am just working on the premise that this is a temporary and unanticipated situation because Mika has only been a performing act for 7 months now. If the same thing happens next festival season I expect he's going to alienate a lot of fans, and not just the ones who were stood up at the cancelled gigs.

I guess for me the honeymoon is not over because I never had this blind love for Mika where I imagined his career was some sort of altruistic drive to spread his music for the benefit of the public. I have judged him as a not-your-average-pop-star based on his personal interaction with fans. The fact that he touches them and focuses on them when they are speaking to him. That he seems to take genuine delight in the fact that they dress up for him and present him with gifts.

But I don't think he has changed in that regard and I hope he never does. If he becomes a superstar, then fan access to him is going to become more limited. But I think the fans that are able to meet with him are still going to be treated in the same manner. From all accounts he has this sort of Bill Clinton/Princess Diana empathy and accessibility about him and hopefully he can carry that with him no matter how famous he gets.

Fans are going to have to live with the possibility though that he may not always be physically accessible to them and may not even play in their country. I have been hoping for Mika's success in North America, not just to see him succeed, but because I know realistically that if he's a bust here and a superstar in the rest of the world, eventually he's going to cut his losses and not tour here.

Unfortunately that's going to happen in a lot of small markets even now. Fans are just going to have to deal with that reality and not take it as a personal insult, as if he thinks they are less important than other fans. As we are all well aware, he is stretched to the absolute limit and he has to spend his time playing gigs that are going to be the most beneficial for his career. He's not choosing one fan over another.