Single Review: Manchester Evening News

dcdeb

I was excited at first, thinking this would be a nice review, but... sigh...

Mika - Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) (Island)

Sarah Walters

19/ 7/2007

WITH his own corner fought and his success secured without giving in to the pressure of the pop pickers, Mika's looking for other corners to fight.

That's 'fight' in the sense of 'telling them politely in a four-minute jolly ditty why other oppressed groups in society should be respected'.

It is, much like the rest of his work, firmly sat in the disco kitsch camp, lots of bobbing rhythms and crowd exciting choruses.

But, urgh! What a horrid, sanctimonious piece of nonsense it is.

If the fat girls corner is on the look out for an anthem to soundtrack their struggle for equality, we can only hope they pick something with a bit more attitude than this.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/music/single_reviews/s/1011/1011712_mika__big_girls_you_are_beautiful_island.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was excited at first, thinking this would be a nice review, but... sigh...

Mika - Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) (Island)

Sarah Walters

19/ 7/2007

WITH his own corner fought and his success secured without giving in to the pressure of the pop pickers, Mika's looking for other corners to fight.

That's 'fight' in the sense of 'telling them politely in a four-minute jolly ditty why other oppressed groups in society should be respected'.

It is, much like the rest of his work, firmly sat in the disco kitsch camp, lots of bobbing rhythms and crowd exciting choruses.

But, urgh! What a horrid, sanctimonious piece of nonsense it is.

If the fat girls corner is on the look out for an anthem to soundtrack their struggle for equality, we can only hope they pick something with a bit more attitude than this.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/music/single_reviews/s/1011/1011712_mika__big_girls_you_are_beautiful_island.html

Thank you for posting! :thumb_yello:

The album sales speak for themselves. Besides, there are many big girls who have liked the song Big Girl and I've seen them express gratitude for it, so perhaps they've adopted it as their anthem. I don't think they're looking for attitude necessarily, but certainly they/anyone would like someone to write them a song that's positive, not negative as most songs are when referring to big girls.

This is such an insult. I believe people feel like they have to throw something negative at any effort to breakdown oppression. Anyways, Mika himself said he's not trying to even take it as far as to send a message to the world. Its a song for his mom and a inspiration from a documentary. Can't he just express his opinion about big girls without everyone attacking him?

I dont think well see an end to these sort of reviews , ohh well he has his army of MFCers to protect him !

It would be nice if he released a slower one , maybe happy ending soon , show a different side ....

:thumb_yello: totally agree!

as long as there are ignorant people in the world who can't appreciate things for what they are we'll always have these types of reviews. i don't know why people cannot just listen and enjoy the upbeat, fun music of mika, instead of analyzing everything and trying to categorize him and his music!

I can't believe someone would insult his music like that I mean if you don't like it you don't like it you don't have to be mean about it I mean I hate fergie but do you see me opening up a fergie hate club thread....that sounds like a good idea lol......hmmmm......let me think of a better example....:roftl:

I dont think well see an end to these sort of reviews , ohh well he has his army of MFCers to protect him !

It would be nice if he released a slower one , maybe happy ending soon , show a different side ....

Definitely agree with that, FD! Hope TPTB hear us on this!

dcdeb

I agree...I love..happy ending...:) xxx