• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
yay, thankyou!

anyone here heard of king crimson...?

I've been planning to give them a listen for ages now, but I haven't gotten around to it. I know one of their members went on to be part of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (don't know which one) And I've been meaning to check them out as well. :punk:

I saw the classic rocker Elton John for the second time last weekend. He performed 25 songs with no break. He was phenominal and it just goes to show you that classic rockers can hold their own!

25 songs! :shocked: Thats crazy...you wouldn't see most of the artists nowdays trying to do that many with no break. But then, Elton always has rocked. :punk: This is actually my favorite Elton vid - him playing Piano Man with Billy Joel. :thumb_yello:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXjU2i99HE

Ah, I forgot about this thread! :blush-anim-cl:

I saw Fish twice last week, on Monday and on Tuesday! He was amazing again and so was his band - especially his guitarist Frank Usher who has been in the band for ages now (I was right in front of him, front row, both nights). :punk:

The day after the second gig the fanclub announced an extra concert in Holland on the 10th of December, I bought tickets this morning. :thumb_yello:

On Monday I was with my boyfriend, on Tuesday I was with a friend who had not seen him live for 20 years. She was wearing her old 1987-1988 tour t-shirt, from his last tour with Marillion. :naughty:

Hmm where is Uriah Heep in the list?

Pink Floyd is not classic rock but psychadelic rock.

Oh, yes, completely forgot about Uriah Heep. It's a long time ago I listened to them, they were great! I am going to listen to the cd again this weekend for sure!

I added Heep. :thumb_yello:

I disagree about Floyd not being classic rock though - they pretty much fall into both classic rock and psychadelic rock categories. I think the standard definition of classic rock is pretty much anything from the mid 60's to the late 80's. :punk:

25 songs! :shocked: Thats crazy...you wouldn't see most of the artists nowdays trying to do that many with no break. But then, Elton always has rocked. :punk: This is actually my favorite Elton vid - him playing Piano Man with Billy Joel. :thumb_yello:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXjU2i99HE

Great video. :thumb_yello: And you're right, most artists wouldn't sing that much without a break. I saw Rufus Wainwright and he had a long setlist, but he had an intermission!

Quite a bit of the music from the 60's is psychedelic. *coughLSDcough*

Can we add Billy Joel and The Clash to the list?

Speaking of which, if there are any Canadians in this thread, Billy Joel is coming to Vancouver on the 30th october. I think it might be sold out but there'll still be tickets on eBay.

I added The Clash. Billy Joel is already on there, between Bad Company and Boston. I was going to have to smack myself if I'd forgotten him, because Piano Man is one of my favorite songs. :punk: And all those psychadelic drugs were everywhere in music back then. You can just look at album covers like Disraeli Gears or In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and not even listen to the music and be able to tell. :roftl:

• 3 weeks later...

Album of the Week #4: Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath

BLACKSABBATHHEAVENANDHELL.jpg

1. "Neon Knights" – 3:49

2. "Children of the Sea" – 5:30

3. "Lady Evil" – 4:22

4. "Heaven and Hell" – 6:56

5. "Wishing Well" – 4:02

6. "Die Young" – 4:41

7. "Walk Away" – 4:21

8. "Lonely Is the Word" – 5:49

I figure since Halloween was only a couple days ago, I'd do a dark album for album of the week (Its not really that dark, but it seemed appropriate :biggrin2: ) Anyway, I chose Heaven and Hell, Sabbath's first album after they fired Ozzy Osbourne and brought in Ronnie James Dio. Personally, I think the Dio years are far superior than the ones with Ozzy, simply because the level of songwriting and vocals is amazing. Dio has a voice that can shift from a sneering growl to an operatic croon. (he sounds like Freddie Mercury in the middle section of Die Young) The album also housed the title track, Heaven and Hell, which is, without a doubt, one of the greatest rock/metal songs ever written. It starts out as a slow churning piece with a constant bassline, punctuated by the crushing guitar riff after each verse, building up to an end section which speeds up drastically, and Dio's growls and croons combine to amazing effect. The greatest metal album ever? Perhaps. Certainly in the top ten. So I highly recommend this album. :punk:

I haven't been here in so long...

A good Classic Rock song with a Halloween theme:

Werewolves of London-Warren Zevon.

Oh! I've heard of that song before!!! :biggrin2: YAY!!! 1st time in about 3 days I've known what people have been talking about on here! How sad:blush-anim-cl:

Album of the Week #4: Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath

BLACKSABBATHHEAVENANDHELL.jpg

1. "Neon Knights" – 3:49

2. "Children of the Sea" – 5:30

3. "Lady Evil" – 4:22

4. "Heaven and Hell" – 6:56

5. "Wishing Well" – 4:02

6. "Die Young" – 4:41

7. "Walk Away" – 4:21

8. "Lonely Is the Word" – 5:49

I figure since Halloween was only a couple days ago, I'd do a dark album for album of the week (Its not really that dark, but it seemed appropriate :biggrin2: ) Anyway, I chose Heaven and Hell, Sabbath's first album after they fired Ozzy Osbourne and brought in Ronnie James Dio. Personally, I think the Dio years are far superior than the ones with Ozzy, simply because the level of songwriting and vocals is amazing. Dio has a voice that can shift from a sneering growl to an operatic croon. (he sounds like Freddie Mercury in the middle section of Die Young) The album also housed the title track, Heaven and Hell, which is, without a doubt, one of the greatest rock/metal songs ever written. It starts out as a slow churning piece with a constant bassline, punctuated by the crushing guitar riff after each verse, building up to an end section which speeds up drastically, and Dio's growls and croons combine to amazing effect. The greatest metal album ever? Perhaps. Certainly in the top ten. So I highly recommend this album. :punk:

Oh, thats a great album!

I listened to U2's "Exit" on Holloween...such a dark, moody song...and the murder/suicide imagery sends chills up your spine (Edge's riff just sends you into another world completely)

"Exit" always reminded me of "Helter Skelter"...not sure why, guess they both have that sense about them