The Classic Rockers Thread

FairyFeller

I've been thinking that I would feature an album in here every week or so thats had a major impact or is highly popular in the classic rock fandom. So to start things off:

Album of the Week:

Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf

Even though no one has ever taken Meat Loaf seriously, I think he's great. The album, for those who don't know, is one of the few albums which is in the style of Wagnerian Rock, which was invented by Meat Loaf's songwriter Jim Steinman. Its basically a really intricate, operatic style of rock, but at the same time, its witty, and Meat Loaf has an awesomely powerful voice which fits the songs perfectly. I'd say that even though no one takes Meat Loaf seriously, it doesn't really matter, because Bat Out of Hell has sold 30-some million copies, and is one of the biggest selling albums ever. So if you haven't heard this album, I'd highly recommend it. :thumb_yello:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Fairy Feller. I think I was 12 when I heard Bat Out of Hell for the first time and it impressed me (it was on a tape from the cheaper kind, my aunt brought it from Indonesia :biggrin2:).

Got it on CD now and it's still being played in our house (and car) after all those years, it's one of my bf's favourite albums. A little jewel - as we say in Dutch.

Yes, that's true. Timeless music, it's a jewel.

We're still playing Bat out of Hell here too. When it came out we used to go to a little pub where they played the record (vinyl !) over and over and over again. And 'Two out of three ain't bad' still has a very special meaning to me.:wub2:

i'm too young to see most of these bands live unfortunately...

but you can add me - my favourites are The Doors, Jimi Hendrix (i love all these hippies bands - just like Sweetwater), Queen and Guns n'Roses. Actually my older brother strucked me lovin Gn'R :wink2:

i'm too young to see most of these bands live unfortunately...

but you can add me - my favourites are The Doors, Jimi Hendrix (i love all these hippies bands - just like Sweetwater), Queen and Guns n'Roses. Actually my older brother strucked me lovin Gn'R :wink2:

Haha, I'm sixteen, so I'm pretty young but have seen their reunions and stuff live.

Plus you have The Rolling Stones who "never go away" haha.

Haha, I'm sixteen, so I'm pretty young but have seen their reunions and stuff live.

Plus you have The Rolling Stones who "never go away" haha.

see i wish i liked Phish before they broke up!lol! i told my stepmom mika had an awesome finally and showed it to her and she said Phishs was crazier...wish i could see that!Lol!

Since we're a massive music loving community, I think its only fair to make a thread for people who love Classic Rock, which is some of the greatest music ever made, and has laid the foundation for many great artists of the present, Mika included. I count classic rock as anything from the 60's all the way to the late 80's. If you want to be a Classic Rocker, just post and I'll assign you a number. :punk:

Classic Rock Artists/Bands:

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Deep Purple

Rainbow

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

Scorpions

Queen

David Bowie

The Eagles

Foreigner

The Doors

Genesis

Bad Company

Free

Elton John

Guns n' Roses

Styx

Marillion

Fleetwood Mac

Pink Floyd

Cream

The Grateful Dead

Journey

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Bad Company

Billy Joel

Boston

Bon Jovi

Metallica

Eric Clapton

Electric Light Orchestra

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Rush

T.Rex

Jefferson Airplane

U2

Phish

Steely Dan

Van Halen

Whitesnake

And I'll take the honor of being Classic Rocker #1 :thumb_yello:

Cattie Gurl: Classic Rocker #2

Fmbm: Classic Rocker #3

CartoonKellyGreen: Classic Rocker #4

Haylie19: Classic Rocker #5

martine: Classic Rocker #6

mikas_gal07: Classic Rocker #7

Queenie: Classic Rocker #8

mandilambi: Classic Rocker #9

Karolin': Classic Rocker #10

Suzie: Classic Rocker #11

mercurygirl: Classic Rocker #12

Blue: Classic Rocker #13

my_rainbow_radio: Classic Rocker #14

andi: Classic Rocker #15

crina: Classic Rocker #16

heineken22: Classic Rocker #17

kk448: Classic Rocker #18

NYMommyof3: Classic Rocker #19

Finkster: Classic Rocker #20

phunkygal: Classic Rocker #21

YOU'VE TO ADD ME!!! I'm a classic rockers addicted :biggrin2:

omg i'm soo into this thread!!! can i have a number please? :blush-anim-cl:

love the most part of the bands you wrote: led zeppelin,beatles,queen,who(massive fan of them),jefferson airplane,rolling stones,bob dylan,jimi hendrix,doors,eric clapton,pink floyd...:punk: but can u add janis joplin too,please? she was sooo great!

omg i'm soo into this thread!!! can i have a number please? :blush-anim-cl:

love the most part of the bands you wrote: led zeppelin,beatles,queen,who(massive fan of them),jefferson airplane,rolling stones,bob dylan,jimi hendrix,doors,eric clapton,pink floyd...:punk: but can u add janis joplin too,please? she was sooo great!

Here it is my padanian sister :huglove:

Well, I think it's because this thread was born on mid-August holiday

:biggrin2:

If I'm not in wrong, that day your brain was really in holiday...like almost all italian brains :biggrin2:

ahahahaha!!! :roftl: :roftl: yeah probably! bad thing is that the brain still has to come back home :shocked:

Hey...this is random but,

DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE WHOLE PLOT-LINE FOR THIS UPCOMING MOVIE ON BOB DYLAN? (I'm kind of confused)

It's called "I'm Not There"

7 Characters portray different apects of his life:

Christian Bale:Bob Dylan/John/Jack

Cate Blanchett:Bob Dylan/Jude

Marcus Carl Franklin:Bob Dylan/Woody

Richard Gere:Bob Dylan/Billy

Heath Ledger:Bob Dylan

Ben Whishaw:Bob Dylan/Arthur

CATE BLANCHETT?

Okay...still lost

:boxed:

Heres a clip that leaked online last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyWgzUGOliw

Interesting...hum, I'm a Dylan fan...but

I'm more looking foward to U23D

(Heard Bob Dylan and Bono are having a good old fashion cat fight after a certain someone(*cough Bono) pissed Dylan off...ITS ON! LOLOLO)

I've updated the first post with member numbers for people who requested them recently (JeyJen, Esperia75, and Kinga) and I added Janis Joplin to the artist list. :punk:

...As for the stuff about Cate Blanchett being one of the people playing Bob Dylan, that is weird, unless its going to be one of those really artistic noir type films.

I've updated the first post with member numbers for people who requested them recently (JeyJen, Esperia75, and Kinga) and I added Janis Joplin to the artist list. :punk:

...As for the stuff about Cate Blanchett being one of the people playing Bob Dylan, that is weird, unless its going to be one of those really artistic noir type films.

:yay: thanks fairyfeller!!! :thumb_yello:

Album of the Week #2: Boston - Boston

Boston is one of my favorite of the arena rock bands of the 70's and 80's. Their debut album features the precise guitar playing of Tom Scholz, and the octave shattering voice of Brad Delp (One of the best singers EVER. period. :naughty:) The album has some of the band's best songs, and some of the most played songs on classic rock radio, such as More Than A Feeling (the greatest arena rock song EVER.), Foreplay/Long Time, and Rock and Roll Band. Boston's debut album is also the 11th bestselling album of all time, and is still the best-selling debut album of all time, and its an album that I highly recommend. :thumb_yello:

• 2 weeks later...

Album of the week # 3 - Led Zeppelin I, by Led Zeppelin

This is probably my favorite Led Zeppelin album. Everyone says Zoso is their best album, but I think LZI is more consistent and just an overall better album than Zoso. Led Zeppelin was one of the bands that was essential for laying the groundwork for future rock, hard rock, and heavy metal music (the others being Black Sabbath and Deep Purple) And when it was released all those years ago, LZI was different than anything else. Definitely a record every rock fan should hear at least once, but it takes more than one listen to truly appreciate it. :punk: