Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, cos my aunt (who lives in Australia) says it quite a lot.

That's funny, we have JIK....:biggrin2: (ok well I find it funny)

Ohhhh.

Aussie slang is funny.

The funniest thing from here, up north in the UK is:

Mardy - In a mood/miserable

If i go down south and say, oh shes mardy, theyre like: :blink: ??

And 'Chavved it' means stole it. So if you say to someone 'I like those earrings, how much were they?' and they would say 'Ohh, i Chavved them'

Which would mean they stole them.....

:naughty:

no im not so sure its only australian, ive heard people here say it!

Oh and JIF here is a household cleaner

Oh my gosh!!!!

We used to have Jif, but they changed it to CIF....... HOW DARE THEY?!

Anyway, nobody uses that any more since.... "CILLIT BANG!!!!" came along....

with the guy in the ad called Barry Scott......

hey i`d like to quote on this one "Chippy is name for a builder or carpenter" it doesnt mean that here , its somewhere u go & buy fish n chips . the best one i like is "fanny" the americans word for your bum (bottom) in britain its a woman`s front private part , a swear word too !

hey i`d like to quote on this one "Chippy is name for a builder or carpenter" it doesnt mean that here , its somewhere u go & buy fish n chips . the best one i like is "fanny" the americans word for your bum (bottom) in britain its a woman`s front private part , a swear word too !

I know same here! I get so confused! Except it's not swear word here, it's just a word that little children use, before they know the real word.

This is an interesting thread even for me who is not a native English speaker.:biggrin2:

Lots of good information! When you listen to Australians talking you can really hear that it sounds different but it's good to know a little more about your culture.:wink2:

You don't think about it a lot but the English is a very big language around the world, New Zeeland, South Africa, Canada, wow!

A very good reason to continue to try to learn, and I have to say, this forum is the best English teacher I ever had!:blush-anim-cl:

Please keep it up, and I would really appriciate some UK and US people come in and explain a little more about the differences between American and British English too.:thumb_yello:

I think that in France they call McDonald's "MacDo." At least that's what my French teacher told me, and she's from France.

In Québec (french part of Canada) we say: Mc Do

[*]Poutine is french fries covered in cheese curds and gravy. Pronounced "Poo-teen" in Western Canada, but my understanding is you'll get smacked if you say that in Quebec - it's poo-tin, there.

[*]The macaroni-in-a-box that's marketed in the States as "Kraft Macaroni & Cheese" is just called "Kraft Dinner", or more commonly just "KD".

You're right about the poutine! It's so funny when english speaking ppl say it :biggrin2: We say Kraft Dinner even in french.

a Popsicle is an Ice lolly

We use popsicle even in french...

Cool, another language thread. About cultural differences as well. :thumb_yello:

Ah yes thats a misunderstanding..

We dont have kangaroos roaming around everywhere (theres some up where I live, nearly hit one once, Canberra has lots etc) but mostly its certain places. Rural places mostly.

The suburbs and the metro area doesnt have any apart from the zoo (and we dont ride them to school or have them deliver our mail, though we spread the rumours :wink2:)

Hey psssst... I have seen them delivering the mail when I was in Oz. :roftl:

They are... you can pat the ones at the zoo :wink2:

Or 'in the wild'. :biggrin2: (This was during my first week in Oz.)

Misunderstandings? Yup. A common one in our country is 'chips'. What the British call 'crisps' is what we call 'chips'. The British chips are called 'friet' in our country (like 'fries' but pronounced in a very different way).

We call McDonald's 'de Mac'. And when we go to McDonald's we go 'maccen' (= a verb).

And I looooooove Ozzie words. My favourite is 'esky'. I have troubles finding the Dutch word and even the proper English word for esky. :naughty:

And another thing thongs in australia = flip flops. Not g-strings (which can lead to interesting conversations if you don't clarify that you're talking about shoes)

Another word I took with me from Australia to Holland. I never say 'teenslippers' anymore, it's always 'flipflops'.

I've noticed most countries have a different name for athletic shoes. In Canada it's running shoes, in Britain it's trainers, in the US it's sneakers and South Africa it's takkies.

In Holland they were called 'gympies' - at least in the 70s and 80s. There is an Australian town called Gympie which sounds quite funny to the average Dutchie. :biggrin2:

Nowadays we use different words. Often they are called after the brand: 'my Converse', 'my Nikes'.

sneakers, tennis shoes, we call them sandshoes

A fizzy is a soft drink

barbecue is a Barbie

a man is a Bloke

Chocka means full

Greasies are fish and chips

Hard yakka is what we say for hard work

a Popsicle[/color] is an Ice lolly

AND last but not least, y'all should know this

KIWI - New Zealander

Those are the words I remember from New Zealand! Especially the sandshoes and the hard yakka!

Barbie is an Ozzie word too. :naughty:

I have very few misunderstandings cos I hardly talk like other South Africans.:biggrin2:

Swak means unfair or unkind (pronounced swuk)

Shot means thank you.

I think that's it...

Oh wait, yes, our Woolworths is like Marks and Spencers...

And our Spar is like the Woolworths in the UK...

I like the other language from your country, het Afrikaans (remember we already spoke about it via PM?). I had a conversation with that man yesterday (my friend's boyfried) - eye to eye, it was so funny because he spoke Afrikaans and I spoke Dutch and we really managed to understand each other! :biggrin2:

And Spar... it was founded in the Netherlands and it's all over the world now! :biggrin2:

Well here are a few of mine. I'm from South Yorkshire, in England, but I live 40miles to the West of there, in Lancashire, and there are many differences even then!:

pop = a fizzy drink

sarnie = sandwich (Lancashire: butty)

trousers = self explanatory but in Lancs they are pants

pants = underwear

to have the monk on = to be in a sulk/bad mood (in Lancs to be in a mard)

cuppa = a cup of tea (Lancs, a brew)

snap = food

*dinner = midday meal

*tea = evening meal

*supper = a bite to eat just before you go to bed eg a biscuit/slice of toast

*this really upsets Southerners in England hee hee

we pronounce SCONE the same as BONE, but in Lancs they pronounce it like GONE, and they say I 'sound posh' when I say it in my accent (I'm anything but posh!) Scone is a strange one!

the best one i like is "fanny" the americans word for your bum (bottom) in britain its a woman`s front private part , a swear word too !

Yup, I know the word 'fannypack'. There is also a Dutch word, 'heuptas', but that sounds so ehm... funny. Old fashioned. Oh well, fannypack doesn't sound much better. :biggrin2:

I lived most of my life in Gillingham in Kent (that's just a little bit southeast of London, and right next to Chatham, which is known for its large chav population...), so here's some of the slang I've grown up hearing:

Being skint means you have no money.

Chips are large, thick fries.

The local chippie is where you can get a portion of chips, as well as things like deep fried fish (fish and chips! :biggrin2: ), kebabs, burgers, sausages and (usually fizzy) drinks.

To get/be nicked is to be arrested by the police.

A minger is an ugly person.

To stack it is to fall over.

If someone is referred to as 'fit', it'll often mean that they're good-looking rather than meaning that they're healthy. (Often heard as "well fit", meaning "very good-looking")

A loo, or, more crudely, a bog, is a toilet.

To chuck or lob something is to throw it.

A television may be referred to as a telly or the box (as well as the usual 'TV').

To be chuffed is to be pleased. (Often heard as "well chuffed")

To bung something into something means to put something into something. (eg. "I'll just bung it in me bag")

What's a chav?

I know people use it as an insult, like "OH WHAT A CHAV!"

I asked someone once, and they said it was someone who dressed oddly?

I don't know.

I say 'ice lolly', but only around the house/people I know. I say 'popsicle'. But if you have chocolate popsicles and fruit popsicles in the freezer, then it's always 'popsicle' and 'fudgepop' or 'fudgebar'

Gutted just means 'pissed', right?