The BRIT awards 2008 (London, Earl's Court)

Blue Sky

BPI gears up for live and interactive

BRITs 2008

1st October 2007

UK recorded music industry association, the BPI, today announced that The BRIT Awards 2008 with MasterCard will take place on Wednesday 20 February 2008 at London’s Earls Court. Following the success of the 2007 show, which was broadcast live for the first time in nearly 20 years, The BRIT Awards will once again be aired live on ITV1.

From 8pm, ITV1 will broadcast the UK’s biggest music awards show, which raises funds for the record industry’s charitable foundation the BRIT Trust. Millions of viewers watching on TV — and in the audience at a packed Earls Court — will see a line-up of stunning live performances, while extensive programming across ITV2 offers backstage coverage with viewers getting VIP access to celebrity arrivals and instant reaction from winners, nominees and performers.

The show will see the best home-grown and international musical talent honoured by public vote and by The BRITs Academy, which comprises of more than 1,000 people from the UK’s music industry and media. They will together decide which artists will win the coveted BRIT trophies.

The new BRITs Committee Chairman, Ged Doherty, said: “The BRITs is Europe’s biggest and best musical showcase and 2008 promises to be bigger and better than ever. The return to live broadcast earlier this year saw an increase in TV audience and we want to build on that by taking next year’s show live once again. With ITV committing to the BRITs until 2010, we now have a great opportunity to deliver an even better live and interactive experience for our audience through the ITV platforms and beyond.

“I am also working on some new ideas to see how we can take The BRITs celebrations beyond London to the regions, reinforce the crucial role played by the Academy in selecting nominees and award winners and give greater profile to the charities that the BRIT Trust supports.”

The full list of BRITs Nominations will be announced live on ITV2 and online on the night of Monday January 14 from the launch party, an event in itself.

BPI Chief Executive Geoff Taylor said: “Receiving a BRIT nomination is one of the highest accolades an artist can receive since they are chosen by more than 1,000 music experts from right across the media and the UK music industry.

“British music has had a stellar year creatively and with such an open field these nominations are going to be more hotly contested than ever.”

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earls Court - almost literally on Mika's doorstep - party at Mika's house after!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin2: Can he fit the whole of MFC in his flat, or will he have to shift out a few hundred toys first???

:biggrin2: I just hope he gets a few nominations (I'm sure he will..), but If I'm brutally honest I'll be very surprised if he wins a Brit. Call me cynical but the Brits aren't ready for Mika. Like MTV.

PLEASE LET ME BE PROVED WRONG!!!

(Remember that year Robbie Williams was nominated loads of times and got nothing???)

can i vote !? :naughty:

or something ... :doh:

I'm Waiting A Link Where I Can Vote For Him. Go Mika!

20th Feb - were a bit ahead of ourselves arent we blue?

Brits seem more mika's kind of contest rather than emas - different standard and kind of music all together.

You can't vote in the Brit Awards - they are decided on by 'the industry', except for one category which I think is the Single of the Year award, which is voted for by the public, so hopefully Grace Kelly will be nominated, but you never know here in Britain :sneaky2: .

Well obviously we'll keep an eye out in January and post a link if Mika gets nominated for that award...

• 1 month later...
You can't vote in the Brit Awards - they are decided on by 'the industry', except for one category which I think is the Single of the Year award, which is voted for by the public, so hopefully Grace Kelly will be nominated, but you never know here in Britain :sneaky2: .

Well obviously we'll keep an eye out in January and post a link if Mika gets nominated for that award...

That's almost right.

There are 3 that can be voted for by the public, the single of the year, breakthrough act voted by R1 listeners and another I can't remember right now off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...