1 Million MFC Posts

deano

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In English, he means that the math involved in getting the number that we all see on the front page isn't easily available - we don't yet know how the software that runs the forum arrives at that front-page number.

What we DO know is that it's not a case of adding up all existing, non-deleted posts and seeing which one is labelled "1,000,000" - doing that results in the Ceci_B's post from about six hours ago - which doesn't agree with the front page number, as that one whipped past a million about one hour ago. :boxed:

When the database is queried to show ALL existing posts right this second, it's telling us that there are 1,001,006 posts in total - whereas the front page says 1,000,200. So there's a discrepancy between the number of posts in the databse versus the number we see on the front page - the two stats disagree by a margin of about 806 posts.

Thanks LM.... its obviously a very confusing process.... Thanks to both you and Standard Toaster for looking into it.

The front page had to be difficult to pick which one caused that number, didn't it :naughty:

(whatever number that really is)

In English, he means that the math involved in getting the number that we all see on the front page isn't easily available - we don't yet know how the software that runs the forum arrives at that front-page number.

What we DO know is that it's not a case of adding up all existing, non-deleted posts and seeing which one is labelled "1,000,000" - doing that results in the Ceci_B's post from about six hours ago - which doesn't agree with the front page number, as that one whipped past a million about one hour ago. :boxed:

When the database is queried to show ALL existing posts right this second, it's telling us that there are 1,001,006 posts in total - whereas the front page says 1,000,200. So there's a discrepancy between the number of posts in the databse versus the number we see on the front page - the two stats disagree by a margin of about 806 posts.

If there was a discrepancy to begin with, perhaps we should go by what everyone was expecting then. Which is to find the post that occurred when the front page showed 1,000,000. All those people made the effort to be here logged on the forum at that time. :thumb_yello:

I had a feeling this would happen...which is why I started to calculate the difference between the "address bar" total and the "front page stats" total, early on and get people to understand what I was doing.

This way, we at least have something concrete to measure with.

I still think the millionth post should be the post that shows

1,021,995 or 1,021,996 or 1,021,997 on the address bar.

3 winners.

I'll agree with you.... I followed what you did, and got a number that was 21997 after the forum crashed and just after the front page said the millionith occured... however, I could be out (as I've said).... so 3 winners would be fair.

(I don't really care who it is :naughty:)

(and I gave the number before I knew I was that number poster :wink2:)

I'll agree with you.... I followed what you did, and got a number that was 21997 after the forum crashed and just after the front page said the millionith occured... however, I could be out (as I've said).... so 3 winners would be fair.

(I don't really care who it is :naughty:)

(and I gave the number before I knew I was that number poster :wink2:)

I like the frooze word!! :naughty:

My fingers were not trying properly - and I had to keep on correcting my posts :roftl: :roftl:

I like the frooze word!! :naughty:

My fingers were not trying properly - and I had to keep on correcting my posts :roftl: :roftl:

I make up words with typos all the time, why not in a post which could potentially be the millionith post (as decided by the front page in whatever manner) :naughty:

also worth noting that the forum was not very popular for the first few weeks, and it has NEVER been as popular as it is right now. In fact, December was the busiest month ever.

So my guess is Jan 8th or Jan 9th

The man knows his stuff! Technically, using either soangel or StandardToaster's calculations, it was still January 9th in some parts of the world. :thumb_yello:

ST is still trying to figure out how the counter on the front page gets its number. But I think that in terms of it being a contest, even if the database number is more accurate, there was no way for members to know what the post count was if we go by that number - meaning the front page number would be the only fair number to go with.

But, Suzy is just two time zones ahead of me, and she's just getting up and I've yet to go to bed, which can't be a good thing. Nighty-night, all - hopefully Deano can stop by and make an Official Proclamation.

The man knows his stuff! Technically, using either soangel or StandardToaster's calculations, it was still January 9th in some parts of the world. :thumb_yello:

ST is still trying to figure out how the counter on the front page gets its number. But I think that in terms of it being a contest, even if the database number is more accurate, there was no way for members to know what the post count was if we go by that number - meaning the front page number would be the only fair number to go with.

But, Suzy is just two time zones ahead of me, and she's just getting up and I've yet to go to bed, which can't be a good thing. Nighty-night, all - hopefully Deano can stop by and make an Official Proclamation.

Thank you lollipop_monkey and StandardToaster for staying up with the MFC and helping with this. Much Appreciated! Go to bed! G'night! :thumb_yello::huglove:

NIght LM, and thanks to you and ST for helping out on this.

We'll await Deano's verdict, if he has one...

The 5th post before

The 4th post before

The 3rd post before

The 2nd runner up post before

The post before...... Well done

The post I think is the millionith (to be confirmed)

The post after (also well done)

The 2nd runner up after

3rd post after

4th post after

and the 5th post after

Enjoy (if the calculations are correct.... if not, well I'll fix it, so don't quote)

Woo! Congratulations guys! :yay:

*grumbles about stupid job interview*

The number is technically subject to change. As stated above, if i were to go and DELETE the current 1,000,000th post, it would move _up to the next one_ as it wouldn't count as an undeleted post.

This is what irks me about the "official" millionth post. I feel like the "un-official" should have been the "official". Just because someone deleted their post doesn't mean it never existed, I still think the post that came up as 1000000 would have been a better one to go by.

Ohhhh no. Confusing. Hence, we should really have gone with the other post number.

Oh well, your calculations appear to be right Soangel, so - CONGRATULATIONS! :groupwave:

Oh well, your calculations appear to be right Soangel, so - CONGRATULATIONS! :groupwave:

Thanks.... have you checked them? (I know you were one of the ones who knew how to check)

I figure, I'm happy to be one of the potential 3, good enough for me :punk:

I wish it had been a new person. After all the joking about it. We should have all agreed to stop posting until a newbie started an intro thread and then all pounced :bleh:

I think everyone out of the 11 should get a shirt "I made the 999,99* / 1,000,00* th post on the MFC!" :naughty:

I wish it had been a new person. After all the joking about it. We should have all agreed to stop posting until a newbie started an intro thread and then all pounced :bleh:

I think everyone out of the 11 should get a shirt "I made the 999,99* / 1,000,00* th post on the MFC!" :naughty:

Great idea :naughty: :naughty:

Thanks.... have you checked them? (I know you were one of the ones who knew how to check)

I figure, I'm happy to be one of the potential 3, good enough for me :punk:

Okay, yep, I'm getting 21997. But whatever it was as close to the millionth would have been it, it could have changed by now otherwhiles. But it was that then right? So I'd say it was you? Lucky/determined bugger.

Okay, yep, I'm getting 21997. But whatever it was as close to the millionth would have been it, it could have changed by now otherwhiles. But it was that then right? So I'd say it was you? Lucky/determined bugger.

I laughed out loud when I read your post - I would have thought the

b***** word would be the one you "coloured" out!!!! :roftl: :roftl: