Mika Number 4 Anti-Icon

Aaurora

Seriously though, what is it that gets up people's noses so much about Mika?

It surely is NOT just that he sings with a high voice, which some people don't like.

What is it about him that so many people loathe? It interests me, as a psychological issue.

The idea that someone, like me and all of us here, can find him so incredible, and yet the next person can find him loathsome. Why is that? I ponder this a lot.

*ponders*

You can say, it's a matter of personal taste, but that seems too simple to me. There is something else. And I still thing ultimately it boils down to envy.

the way I see it, he's defo out of the usual. that's why us love him so much, cause we can relate to him, we find him SPECIAL. as a matter of fact he IS special.

he's a mix of retro (timeless is his most fitting self definition), classic, avangard and creativity.

he's light and he's deep. his music is fun and makes ya think. that's not standing within the usually accepted(appreciated/praised boundaries, one way or another.

when i wrote the mainstream finds him too not mainstream and the indie finds him too mainstream, I meant it.

he's standing position of his own. his voice is also a mix of jazz like jamming, classic training and pop vocalist talent.

the originality takes A LOT to be accepted usually..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ant and Dec? Can't agree with that either. They certainly aren't 'witless', in fact I think they are very funny and great broadcasters.

Peter Andre? Seems like a nice guy.

I guess it's just fashionable to pick on certain people :bleh:

the way I see it, he's defo out of the usual. that's why us love him so much, cause we can relate to him, we find him SPECIAL. as a matter of fact he IS special.

he's a mix of retro (timeless is his most fitting self definition), classic, avangard and creativity.

he's light and he's deep. his music is fun and makes ya think. that's not standing within the usually accepted(appreciated/praised boundaries, one way or another.

when i wrote the mainstream finds him too not mainstream and the indie finds him too mainstream, I meant it.

he's standing position of his own. his voice is also a mix of jazz like jamming, classic training and pop vocalist talent.

the originality takes A LOT to be accepted usually..

I agree with everything you say here. Originality is never widely accepted, otherwise I suppose it wouldn't be original.

Yet, most of Mika's detractors make the point that Mika is, in their opinion, anything but original: a 'thief', a copyist, a cut-and-paste rip-off artist, a bad Queen tribute act, Leo Sayer, all of that rubbish. Whereas, I can't see the reasoning behind any of that. To me, and to you, he IS original, not because he is making a revolutionary new form of music no-one has ever heard before, but because the sum of his parts adds up to something unique.

We can see that, but many can't, and probably never will. It doesn't anger me so much as it fascinates me, that opinion can be so divided.

What I don't understand is, everyone here can find reasons to say that Mika is special, that he is unique, but you all let these so-called journalists get away with disrespecting him. They will continue to do that, if no one will stick up for him and put the other point of view accross.

It was the same with the awful Mcr Evening News article the other week. I got onto them and left a comment straight away, but I'm not sure anyone else did a comment.

When I see something bad about Mika, I go one the site and leave a comment. Up to now, mine is the only comment supporting Mika on this magazine's site. If there were more pro Mika comments, it wouldn't change the journalists' minds, but it might change the people who read the comments, and it's no use fans complaining amongst themselves, and not actually doing something about it. I'm going to write another comment, in another name with a valid email address.

Love today, from Marilyn

This top ten thingy reminds me of when Kerrang! Magazine did the top ten ugliest guys in rock, and Chad Kroeger from Nickelback got the number one spot... o_O (Matt Bellamy got second place too! And Rivers Cuomo was on that list as well... I think something was wrong with the eyes of the people who actually did the thing!)

What I don't understand is, everyone here can find reasons to say that Mika is special, that he is unique, but you all let these so-called journalists get away with disrespecting him. They will continue to do that, if no one will stick up for him and put the other point of view accross.

It was the same with the awful Mcr Evening News article the other week. I got onto them and left a comment straight away, but I'm not sure anyone else did a comment.

When I see something bad about Mika, I go one the site and leave a comment. Up to now, mine is the only comment supporting Mika on this magazine's site. If there were more pro Mika comments, it wouldn't change the journalists' minds, but it might change the people who read the comments, and it's no use fans complaining amongst themselves, and not actually doing something about it. I'm going to write another comment, in another name with a valid email address.

Love today, from Marilyn

Marilyn, I have submitted a comment. You know you can usually rely on me :naughty:

It's on a different tack to yours but I know it will hit at the heart of a lot of arena readers :naughty:

Edit: Who is Alan Wolseley? Is that your pseudonym Marilyn? :naughty:

I agree with everything you say here. Originality is never widely accepted, otherwise I suppose it wouldn't be original.

Yet, most of Mika's detractors make the point that Mika is, in their opinion, anything but original: a 'thief', a copyist, a cut-and-paste rip-off artist, a bad Queen tribute act, Leo Sayer, all of that rubbish. Whereas, I can't see the reasoning behind any of that. To me, and to you, he IS original, not because he is making a revolutionary new form of music no-one has ever heard before, but because the sum of his parts adds up to something unique.

We can see that, but many can't, and probably never will. It doesn't anger me so much as it fascinates me, that opinion can be so divided.

I'm a great fan of Oasis, have been for years. I still remember everyone in the music biz bashing them for years, cause they said all noel could do was copying the beatles.. :mf_rosetinted: and now they praise them endlessly.

Marilyn, I have submitted a comment. You know you can usually rely on me :naughty:

It's on a different tack to yours but I know it will hit at the heart of a lot of arena readers :naughty:

Edit: Who is Alan Wolseley? Is that your pseudonym Marilyn? :naughty:

No, I did leave another comment, under the name Amy Peters, but I think they must have realised it was the same computer, and I don't think they posted it. But I'm excited there is another comment on there. Good for him!! I'll go and read yours and his comments!!

Edit I just looked. Thanks Rachael. What you said is great, similar to Alan Wolseley's comment, but his was from a male point of view, and it seems his wife is just as bad as us. I hope she's on the MFC, and if not, I hope she finds us! My other comment is on there as well. I didn't realise. It's quite exciting sticking up for Mika!!

Love today, and thank you, from Marilyn

Amy's hubby voted top anti-icon

03/01/08 | 18:03

http://www.online.ie/Home/News.aspx?newsId=1011778

Amy Winehouse's husband Blake Fielder-Civil has been voted Britain's top Anti-Icon.

Readers of men's magazine Arena compiled a list of "witless" male celebrities who least deserve their place in the spotlight.

Fielder-Civil - currently on remand in Pentonville Prison awaiting trial - headed the top 10.

"If your wife is partial to a nice bit of heroin then you should probably help her out by abstaining from drugs yourself, not standing on the sidelines chanting: 'Plunge it down, you Zulu warrior' or whatever it is junkies shout to egg each other on," said the magazine, which dubbed him the "worst husband ever".

It also derided his fashion sense, noting that "along with fellow hat-botherer Pete Doherty, Fielder-Civil has made the trilby untouchable for any self-respecting gent".

Second on the list was Banksy, the graffiti artist who counts Angelina Jolie and Jude Law among his fans.

"Banksy is mainly lauded by sixth formers whose minds are so fogged by hormones that they believe that stencils of policemen kissing passes for caustic social commentary.

"Less enamoured with his work are the taxpayers who spend £1bn (€1.3bn) cleaning graffiti in the UK each year, money which would arguably be better spent paying nurses, or even gay policemen," Arena said.

England and Chelsea footballer Frank Lampard was third, accused of "failing the country" with his lacklustre display in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

Falsetto-voiced singer Mika was fourth, followed by daytime TV host Jeremy Kyle.

Peter Andre was sixth for forming "half of Britain's most over-exposed couple" with glamour model wife Jordan, and ex-Big Brother housemate Ziggy was seventh.

Pop star Prince was eighth thanks to his "control freakery" in banning fans from taking his picture during his UK shows.

TV presenting duo Ant and Dec were ninth after their Saturday Night Takeaway and Gameshow Marathon programmes were revealed to have rigged phone-ins, and Top Gear's Richard Hammond was tenth, accused of "cashing in" on his near-death crash.

The list was voted for by readers at http://www.arenamagazine.co.uk. The full list appears in the January issue of Arena, on sale now.

Top 10 Anti-Icons

1 Blake Fielder-Civil

2 Banksy

3 Frank Lampard

4 Mika

5 Jeremy Kyle

6 Peter Andre

7 Ziggy

8 Prince

9 Ant and Dec

10 Richard Hammond

Liars. Full stop.

Errrmmm.... ok :boxed:

Why is Hammond there as well..he survived that awful crash and is a great presenter...

I love Hammond as well - I think he's a little cutie :blush-anim-cl:

"'Grace Kelly' singer Mika took fourth spot because of his ability to "make the nation rip off their ears with wretched, panicked fingernails and fill the bloodied holes with Polyfilla".

right..........:blink: how incredibly insane!

Seriously though, what is it that gets up people's noses so much about Mika?

I really don't know. Being from Australia where we are all pretty much laid back we don't tend to work ourselves up about things. If we don't like something, we will be "Oh, I don't like that. Next!" but we very rarely kick up such a fuss as I have seen other countries do against Mika. I don't know why they pick on him so much....I remember people from England also hating on James Blunt and Jamie Oliver. Why hate your own celebrities? I don't understand it.

Hahaha, I left two comments with two different names, but one was eliminated! Idiots! The one left is sgned by Ana (my first name).

I love getting mad when it comes to defend Mika! :naughty:

Hey... now both have been deteled!!

I don't know why they pick on him so much....I remember people from England also hating on James Blunt and Jamie Oliver. Why hate your own celebrities? I don't understand it.

well, i have a little bit of that happening myself... i can't stand celine dion.... i just can't! i have heard her since she was a little kid, singing in french and i guess i have had enough. but my sister absolutely adores her! and so does the rest of quebec! she sold out i think 6 consecutives shows in the same place where mika will be playing, and it is very big! i don't mind her singing as much as i mind her dancing... i don't know... it's probably me!! :blink:

Remember, this is a men's magazine.

They are quite simply insanely jealous of Mika's looks and effect on women.

Whenever anyone slags Mika off, especially another man, my husband always says this, that it is jealousy.

So go ahead guys, be jealous: you should be!! :naughty:

you are so right!

right..........:blink: how incredibly insane!

I really don't know. Being from Australia where we are all pretty much laid back we don't tend to work ourselves up about things. If we don't like something, we will be "Oh, I don't like that. Next!" but we very rarely kick up such a fuss as I have seen other countries do against Mika. I don't know why they pick on him so much....I remember people from England also hating on James Blunt and Jamie Oliver. Why hate your own celebrities? I don't understand it.

Neither do I. I suppose, in a way we should be glad they've started out hating Mika, because what often happens is, they praise certain celebrities at the start, then when the celebrity gets popular, famous, etc, the press then try to bring them down. The ones that get hated first, usually end up as National Treasures and get knighthoods. So...

LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE FUTURE SIR MIKA PENNIMAN!!!

Love today, from Marilyn

thats messed up, they dont even give a reason, mika might have done a tiny little stupid thing but nothing bad we all do stupid things its human but now they put him on the naughty list, thats just messed up, makes no sense whatso ever,:annoyed_h4h: