BBC Sounds of 2008 - Top 10

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your thread Freddie :wub2:

After all, it was only because of this Poll last year that I discovered Mika.

I've been checking the whole list out on Youtube - admittedly only one song per artist - and so far the only ones to stick out for me are Vampire Weekend and MGMT.

Just first impressions, I think Adele and Duffy will do well though because everyone seems to want female solo singers now, and they are both better than Kate Nash :naughty:

None of them have hit me straight in the solar plexus anything like The Mikster last year though :shocked:

I like your thread Freddie :wub2:

After all, it was only because of this Poll last year that I discovered Mika.

I've been checking the whole list out on Youtube - admittedly only one song per artist - and so far the only ones to stick out for me are Vampire Weekend and MGMT.

Just first impressions, I think Adele and Duffy will do well though because everyone seems to want female solo singers now, and they are both better than Kate Nash :naughty:

None of them have hit me straight in the solar plexus anything like The Mikster last year though :shocked:

Yeh excuse some of our MFCers :wink2:

Well I think Adele will be huge too , Glasvegas are so different , Vampire Weekend is going for a fortune on ebay so who knows!

As you say I discovered Mika through the BBC , this time last year :thumb_yello:

Glasvegas might grow on me I think, I like the 50s feel, they remind me a bit of Jesus and Mary chain and I liked their early stuff (back in the 80s).

But no, nothing to match Mika, sadly.

I feel all nostalgic for this time last year :wub2:

Glasvegas might grow on me I think, I like the 50s feel, they remind me a bit of Jesus and Mary chain and I liked their early stuff (back in the 80s).

But no, nothing to match Mika, sadly.

I feel all nostalgic for this time last year :wub2:

Yeh I do tooooooooo , I joined here in 4 days time:wub2:

I managed to get ticket for Glasvegas .. I just think they are different , reminds me of big county ... the sounds have a great feel , Duffy is different too , very 60s , Adele is already sold out for her concerts

So they had Mika at number one last year , this year its Adele .. see what you think , anyone stand it , Glasvegas and the Ting Tings for me :thumb_yello:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7163404.stm

When this came out the other day, I started listening to everyone on

the list -- I'd already heard Duffy (too much like other singers out there

for me) and Adele, well, I thought she was Amy Winehouse when

I first heard her. :blink:

Then I heard the The Ting Tings -- went to their myspace page, and listened

to That's Not My Name, and it went straight on MY myspace page. I've

played that tune nonstop since and love the others they have online

as well! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

When this came out the other day, I started listening to everyone on

the list -- I'd already heard Duffy (too much like other singers out there

for me) and Adele, well, I thought she was Amy Winehouse when

I first heard her. :blink:

Then I heard the The Ting Tings -- went to their myspace page, and listened

to That's Not My Name, and it went straight on MY myspace page. I've

played that tune nonstop since and love the others they have online

as well! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

I totaly agree with your opinions of Adele and Duffy.

I couldn't get into that Ting Tings song though, I couldn't find the tune (I sound like an old fogey saying that :roftl:) and to me, there is something that says 'style and street cred over substance' about them, but it's just my first impression and opinion, I reserve the right to change my mind; things do tend to grow on me.

I notice the two acts I like best from this list are both American. I think the best pop/rock is coming out of North America these days, I am a bit bored with British Indie rock, it all sounds the same!

I totaly agree with your opinions of Adele and Duffy.

I couldn't get into that Ting Tings song though, I couldn't find the tune (I sound like an old fogey saying that :roftl:) and to me, there is something that says 'style and street cred over substance' about them, but it's just my first impression and opinion, I reserve the right to change my mind; things do tend to grow on me.

I notice the two acts I like best from this list are both American. I think the best pop/rock is coming out of North America these days, I am a bit bored with British Indie rock, it all sounds the same!

That's funny because I feel the same about all the music coming out of

the states -- almost every new CD I've bought this past year has

been from the UK! :naughty:

As for things growing on me -- yep, I definitely like Glasvegas on

first listen, they may grow on me after a while. And I see that MGMT

is on David Letterman tonight -- I may give them a look-see, see if

I like them better "live." :)

dcdeb

Im bored of their voices - they all sing with that stupid accent. i thought it was quite quirky when bands like the kooks started doing it, then it was cool when lily allen did it.

Now we've got so many carbon copies. Kate Nash etc. We need some original vocal styles.

I have only listened to Adele so far. Nice voice but not an earthshattering experience. :cool: (... unlike Mika was last year..:wink2: )

Have you noticed Alphabeat was also in the Top 20?

I wonder why Palladium was not included. They are kind of unique....

I might check the rest of these when I have some more time

Im bored of their voices - they all sing with that stupid accent. i thought it was quite quirky when bands like the kooks started doing it, then it was cool when lily allen did it.

Now we've got so many carbon copies. Kate Nash etc. We need some original vocal styles.

EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE ACCENT THING!!! (Lily Allen, Kate Nash, Jack Pinate..and all the new bands I can't even bother to remember their names)

It seems that having a stupid accient makes musicians more accepted by the music press because it automatically associates with working class and being more genuine vs manufactured....

To me, they are rather the opposite, especially when they follow Kate Nashes' footsteps in deliberately missing rhymes and putting in more syllables than they should in order to sound different and funny....

It is funny and interesting first but gets annoying after the second similar song and believe me, I don't listen to them that much...:thumbdown:

Yes I'm sick of Mockney too. And Sheffield, and Geordie, and whatever. It was original once but now it's parochialism for the sake of it.

I have only listened to Adele so far. Nice voice but not an earthshattering experience. :cool: (... unlike Mika was last year..:wink2: )

She's talented, that is for sure, but it just doesn't connect with me. Mika connected with me within a couple of bars of hearing Grace Kelly (and no, I didn't see that he was hot then, I hadn't seen him at all! :naughty: ).

I still can't get excited by anything else I hear, I am waiting for someone else to give that buzz, but it's not any of this lot!

I've listened to one song by each of the ten artists this morning and the only one to have stuck in my head (it's there right now) was Kids by MGMT. So they are my 'tip'. My mantra these days is if it's catchy then it's good - forget all the other stuff and whether the band is cool and cred and whatever! Maybe that's why I still worship Mika :wub2: Let's face it, it certainly is not cool to like him, not here in Britain anyway :naughty:

She's talented, that is for sure, but it just doesn't connect with me. Mika connected with me within a couple of bars of hearing Grace Kelly (and no, I didn't see that he was hot then, I hadn't seen him at all! :naughty: ).

same with me... I first heard him on internet radio and saw only his picture later, based on which I thought he was a poor immigrant boy with a strange dress sense (that was the Paul Smith shirt :naughty:)...

Yeh no palladium but the latest Q magazine tip them to be big :thumb_yello:

I tip them to make it big, too:thumb_yello:

same with me... I first heard him on internet radio and saw only his picture later, based on which I thought he was a poor immigrant boy with a strange dress sense (that was the Paul Smith shirt :naughty:)...

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

Awwww!!

I first saw him on the Grace Kelly video and I thought he was really odd looking (so maybe he has a point about his looks after all!!), but with a face you just couldn't take your eyes off. And then the more I looked...............................................................................................................................:mf_lustslow:

:naughty: