Brits Nominations Article, Guardian

Gatagordinha

Nothing new here but I just thought the reference to Michael Stipe's praise of Mika was worth looking at again, as it's so great :wub2:

Pop goes the Brits: Take That, Leona Lewis and Mika lead nominations

The boy band and singers are up for four awards each. New artists Kate Nash and Bat for Lashes to go head to head with Lewis in two categories

Owen Gibson, media correspondent

Monday January 14, 2008

Guardian Unlimited

Earnest rockers lay down your guitars and fey indie types look away now: bouncy, colourful pop is very much back at the top of the homegrown musical agenda if the nominations for the 2008 Brit awards are any guide.

Take That, the former boy band who reformed to great acclaim, Mika, the flamboyant Beirut-born singer who topped the charts with Grace Kelly, and Leona Lewis, the X-Factor winner tipped for great things by Simon Cowell, led the way with four nominations each. After several years in which the rebirth of British guitar music, from Franz Ferdinand to Arctic Monkeys, has dominated, this year's nominations appear to reward the return of unashamed melodies and catchy choruses.

Take That's four nominations including best group, best single and best album capped a stirring comeback for Gary Barlow and company. Despite some sneers when they announced their return minus Robbie Williams in 2005, a string of sold-out shows and number ones have silenced critics.

REM's Michael Stipe recently called Mika, who qualifies thanks to his British passport and has split critical opinion, "a great songwriter" and cited him as a key influence on the band's new album.

full article: http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2240749,00.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes for definate . Mr Stipe is amazingggg and so well respected in the music industry :thumb_yello:

Hmm. Cowell told Mika his songs were no good. Michael Stipe says he's a really great songwriter. I know whose opinion I take more seriously! :cool:

I seriously hate some critics, especially those who go on rampages to try bringing new artists down. Most of them are bitter, failed writers :P - and Simon Cowell hasn't exactly helped produce the best album for Leona anyway.

Hmm. Cowell told Mika his songs were no good. Michael Stipe says he's a really great songwriter. I know whose opinion I take more seriously! :cool:

Actually I might take Simon Cowell's word for it as well. Mika may very well have been writing rubbish at 14 or 15. :naughty:

Actually I might take Simon Cowell's word for it as well. Mika may very well have been writing rubbish at 14 or 15. :naughty:

That thought did cross my mind :naughty: Probably a lot of angry plonk plonk songs but just not as good as GK!

REM's Michael Stipe recently called Mika, who qualifies thanks to his British passport and has split critical opinion, "a great songwriter" and cited him as a key influence on the band's new album.

full article: http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2240749,00.html

I must download their new album then, just to find the Mika influence...:wub2:

next single: Willy Brown Sleeps Tonite:naughty:

I've just googled REM New Album and I got a sneak preview of the tracklisting :shocked:

Everybody's Gonna Hurt Today

Relax, I'm Losing My Religion

Shiny Happy Inflatable People

Orange Crush Flavoured Lollipop

Imitation of Life in Cartoon Motion

The One I Love Today

The End Of Any Other World As We Know It

:mf_rosetinted:

I wouldn't take his word for it. Simon Cowell before he became Mr X Factor, had his own act. It was a rather dubious one where he went round in a dog costume performing under the name Wonderdog! He even had a single out, thename of which escapes me at the moment, which was him barking, like a dog, this song. I kid you not! So whatever Mika presented to him when he was 14, could not have been as dire as what Mr Cowell himself produced.

And Mika looks WAY hotter in an animal costume!

Can't wait to hear the new REM album if it's influenced by Mika. Michael Stipe singing high, that would be amazing.

I've just googled REM New Album and I got a sneak preview of the tracklisting :shocked:

Everybody's Gonna Hurt Today

Relax, I'm Losing My Religion

Shiny Happy Inflatable People

Orange Crush Flavoured Lollipop

Imitation of Life in Cartoon Motion

The One I Love Today

The End Of Any Other World As We Know It

:mf_rosetinted:

:lmao:

MICA STIPE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGWRITERS OF ....LIKE .... EVER!(:naughty: )

Yes for definate . Mr Stipe is amazingggg and so well respected in the music industry :thumb_yello:

michael is a genius :mf_rosetinted:

oh, cowell and stipe.. simon 's clearly better... than again, maybe NOT :mf_rosetinted:

I couldn't be more proud of such an opinion if it came from any other artist! :punk:

and I couldn't wait for REM new album anyway! :naughty::wink2:

:lmao:

MICA STIPE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGWRITERS OF ....LIKE .... EVER!(:naughty: )

Mica Stipe..........:roftl:

I wouldn't take his word for it. Simon Cowell before he became Mr X Factor, had his own act. It was a rather dubious one where he went round in a dog costume performing under the name Wonderdog! He even had a single out, thename of which escapes me at the moment, which was him barking, like a dog, this song. I kid you not!

You are joking, right?:blink:

:roftl: