Classical meets camp to make an international star

greta

THE NEWS TRIBUNE

How does a 24-year-old rise to international fame by mixing classically trained, operatic vocals and campy aesthetics? Ask Lebanese-born Londoner Mica “Mika” Penniman. You’ve probably heard his music featured on the MTV show, “My Super Sweet Sixteen.” He’s been nominated for more than 20 awards (including a Grammy), won three World Music Awards and topped the charts in several countries.

Mika left the Royal College of Music in London to work on his first album at Casablanca Records. “Life In Cartoon Motion” features his signature shimmering pop confections, disco-rave anthems, and even a few piano ballads.

Mika has drawn comparisons to Queen’s Freddie Mercury, David Bowie and the indie band Scissor Sisters for his soaring vocal range, which is rumored to stretch across five octaves, and for his outlandish performances. With an affinity for theatrics (think oversize blow-up dolls, bright colors and balloons), a falsetto that would make choirboys uncomfortable and a slew of dance moves, the pop star won’t leave you cold when you see him live.

Catch Mika supporting his latest release, the EP “Dodgy Holiday,” with the Midway State on Thursday at Showbox SoDo. The doors open at 7 p.m., and the cost is $25 at the door.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THE NEWS TRIBUNE

How does a 24-year-old rise to international fame by mixing classically trained, operatic vocals and campy aesthetics? Ask Lebanese-born Londoner Mica “Mika” Penniman. You’ve probably heard his music featured on the MTV show, “My Super Sweet Sixteen.” He’s been nominated for more than 20 awards (including a Grammy), won three World Music Awards and topped the charts in several countries.

Mika left the Royal College of Music in London to work on his first album at Casablanca Records. “Life In Cartoon Motion” features his signature shimmering pop confections, disco-rave anthems, and even a few piano ballads.

Mika has drawn comparisons to Queen’s Freddie Mercury, David Bowie and the indie band Scissor Sisters for his soaring vocal range, which is rumored to stretch across five octaves, and for his outlandish performances. With an affinity for theatrics (think oversize blow-up dolls, bright colors and balloons), a falsetto that would make choirboys uncomfortable and a slew of dance moves, the pop star won’t leave you cold when you see him live.

Catch Mika supporting his latest release, the EP “Dodgy Holiday,” with the Midway State on Thursday at Showbox SoDo. The doors open at 7 p.m., and the cost is $25 at the door.

The great reviews just keep coming! Bring em on! Thanks for the post!

Good thanks, hope to see you at one of the London gigs - I miss some of the original members.:wink2:

That must mean you miss me! lol, jk

My tickets were $50!! :mad3:

Ouch!!! Mine were 25 as well. At least they weren't 180$ which was the price for some of the tickets in Cali

Hello Kay!

$25 on the door? Not sold out then? Or old article.

They have been sold out for a couple of weeks now. You can buy Seattle tickets online now for quite a bit more than $25. I have a couple of extra that I am selling too.

Greta!!! you are killing me. I still have six more days to wait for the Seattle concert. Valentine's Day :wub2: :wub2:

Thanks for posting all my local papers! The Olympian one really killed me, since that is where I am right now (at work...shush) - in Olympia.

THE NEWS TRIBUNE

I wanna know about this EP too. Ages ago on one of the American interviews he said he was going to do an EP before he did his next album. Considering that he cancelled appearing at the Australian V festivals to work on the new album, when did he record the EP? Not that I'm complaining... I could go for both an EP and a new album. But you would have thought that if this tour was supporting the EP release, surely we would have heard something about it. I'm confused:blink:

THE NEWS TRIBUNE

:lmfao: You would deffinitely need to bring a bucket of water to the shows, I see

:roftl::roftl: *hoses off mfcers*