REPORTS/PHOTOS/ VIDEOS Vancouver, BC at the Orpheum 15-02-2008

dcdeb

Wow! I just had a look at Greg Wells on Wiki. He could have covered for any member of the band! He plays it all!

Oh really? I must go have a look, I was quite impressed he could play drums already!

I think there are only a few hundred of us really. I don't know what it is about Mika but I can't imagine having this level of interest in any other artist. I'm not even interested to hear this much about the people I know. :naughty:

I wonder if it's just a collective thing. You kind of get sucked into this need for more information by hanging around other fanatics on MFC.

Well we wouldn't be able to know that he gets his underwear folded and set out for him, etc, if we didn't have each other who all feel the same need for stalkerish details. We couldn't be obsessive without each other, and I guess we wouldn't feel the need to be as obsessive if we didn't have each other to obsess with. I used the word obsess three times in one sentence :naughty:

This waiting around for reports all night is gonna be the death of me, honestly.

:) Its getting crazy! At least I'll be sleeping tomorrow night because there's no show....

Hey, am I like the only person in this timezone who's still up waiting and reading? :blink:

I think I've been blessed with the perfect timezone for the North American tour :wub2: The shows are on in the early-mid afternoon, and then over the afternoon/evening the reports come in. Then when the concert-goers cannot stay awake any longer, at whatever ridiculous hour it is for them, it's about the time I'd go to sleep anyway. It's 10.57pm here at the moment. Even more perfect, I have been on holidays, which finish on Monday - perfect timing or what?

*sorry for rubbing it in* :naughty:

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The band sprints out onto the stage, with Mika remaining behind. The stage hand has a box of tissues, and Mika takes not one but two, and methodically folds them before blowing his nose.

This may sound ridiculous, but that was kind of a moment for me. This man is my idol, my dream...my curly haired earth angel. And yet he wears underwear and blows his nose. He is, in fact, human - albeit a one in a gazillion, beautifully talented human.

I just loved this bit!!!! :roftl: :roftl:

The things that would not matter to anyone else seem

so interesting to the MFC!!!! Thanks for your wonderful,

detailed reports Mana - cant wait for the next part!!! :flowers2:

Standing between us and the stage is Owen, a sweet fellow with a great Scottish accent. I chat him up - he tells me he's been with the tour since it first began - the longest running behind-the-scenes member...

Owain's from Newcastle, therefore has a Geordie accent.:naughty: Did he tell you it was Scottish, the monkey?

And he is No 10. :naughty: He has his own thread here!http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10170&page=3

Friend of the apples. :mf_rosetinted:

wow mana is an excellent gig reporter! loving every minute of it.

what i find is that i'm not the only one obsessing over mika in real life ... my sons' girlfriends and i also have my niece. however, they have no interest being on here as they only speak french & ok, there is a french thread, but i don't think they could keep up with everything. so i end up telling them stuff i read here. and we talk about it. of course the men in this house roll their eyes to the sky and go "oh mika oh mika" lol they laugh at us! but that's ok. when i come here, i feel everyone is a little bit like me, if that makes any sense. i love the details and the fact that we are all in this together, letting each other know as much as we can. and that's why i love you guys!:thumb_yello:

Moments later I spot Saranayde come down, followed shortly by the other band members. Then...Mika. The band gathers around in a circle. What happened next was unbelievable - they all began this rhythmic hand clapping thing, with Mika leading and the others following, picking up speed and varying the beats. Finally, they ended off with their hands in the centre, the traditional "heyyyy, MIKA" thing you may recall from the DVD.

The band sprints out onto the stage, with Mika remaining behind. The stage hand has a box of tissues, and Mika takes not one but two, and methodically folds them before blowing his nose.

This may sound ridiculous, but that was kind of a moment for me. This man is my idol, my dream...my curly haired earth angel. And yet he wears underwear and blows his nose. He is, in fact, human - albeit a one in a gazillion, beautifully talented human.

He then comes through the doorway, and is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I hear 9 to 5 starting, and the audience goes nuts. Mika's mom comes over, and he gives her the sweetest hug, followed by one for Yasmine. I don't think for a second that he's exaggerating when he talks about his family life being brilliant. He's so sweet - he sings to himself while waiting, softly, but man oh man. LOVE HIM.

He comes closer, and sort of cocks his head toward the stage, listening. It's the interlude, where Sara pops out from behind the balloon. He then gets a peeved look, and tells the stage hand - "they're doing it WRONG! It should be faster, like this!" And claps his hands to indicate the desired rhythm. Stage hand is off like a shot, and Mika seems to relax.

WOW! :shocked:

This is why I'm so glad you were backstage. We all know what goes on onstage and we've seen a heavily edited backstage glimpse on the DVD.

But this is the fan gig report I've been waiting a year to hear.

Thank you. :wub2:

Well we wouldn't be able to know that he gets his underwear folded and set out for him, etc, if we didn't have each other who all feel the same need for stalkerish details. We couldn't be obsessive without each other, and I guess we wouldn't feel the need to be as obsessive if we didn't have each other to obsess with. I used the word obsess three times in one sentence :naughty:

Obsessive personality, hmm. :wink2:

Owen's from Newcastle, therefore has a Geordie accent.:naughty: Did he tell you it was Scottish, the monkey?

And he is No 10. :naughty: He has his own thread here!http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10170&page=3

well see... i never knew who was No 10 lol

and now i do!

I don't know, it's a bit weird, even on my off Mika periods, I still feel the need to come here, to just, well, know things about him, where he is, what's going on, you know?

What precipitates an off Mika period? I get what you're saying but then I've not yet had an off Mika time ( I haven't been into him long enough for that to happen yet I guess).

I am invisible. :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah there's some groupthink at work sculpting people's perception of and interest in Mika. I think I'm a pretty strong minded individual but I still fall victim to it.

But by collectively I also mean that I've been exposed to so much information via others at MFC that I would have never been motivated to source on my own. Without even really meaning to, you suddenly have this huge knowledge base just from reading the board and socializing with people.

Ah. I get what you mean. Quite true.

Cheryl tells us he's our "cue guy" - and he laughs and goes "I'm also a cute guy."

And yet he wears underwear and blows his nose.

At that moment, he realized that there were seven pairs of adoring eyes staring at him, barely a foot away.

"Are there any big girls in the house tonight? Any skinny girls with the soul of a big girl? HEY - what are YOU cheering for - you're a bloke!"

Woooow! This is such an amazing peek into what goes on behind the scenes, and you write it so fantastically beautifully! The family hugs, the hand clapping game, the way he folds his nose-blowing tissues, the singing to himself, again the control he wants over every aspect of the show; wow wow.

And a collective LOL to the things I quoted :roftl: :roftl:

Wowweee, I can't wait until you go on stage! :shocked:

(How weird does that sound? Well, your writing is so good that I'm living it in real time :bleh:)

Owain's from Newcastle, therefore has a Geordie accent.:naughty: Did he tell you it was Scottish, the monkey?

Maybe she's just mixing up Geordie and Scottish. Or do you think No. 10 is a bit of a fibber?

So we go to take the elevator, but after holding it open to get us all inside, it freezes, so we head for the stairs. I ask Mika's mom if it's true about Cherisse being stuck because of a missing passport. She said yes, but not to worry - they're getting her sorted out as soon as possible, and that she's sure Greg will do a good job tonight. So we go up the stairs, and are led around to the back - the left side facing the audience, AKA Mikey's side. Cherryl tells us that we can stand there for the first two songs, as long as we kept a path to the costume closet thing which was behind us. Walking from the hall to the stage, there was a set of double doors followed by a red velvet curtain. To the left was the aforementioned costume closet, to the right a small narrow corridor, and directly in front of me the entrance to the stage. It was fairly dark, except for the lights coming from the main hall beside us, beyond the curtains.

We gather around, nervous but excited. John's there with us - and he's smiling! :roftl::shocked: He's stern and forceful, but efficient - and a genuinely nice guy, methinks.

I was nearest to the entrance from the hallway, and could see Mika's mom and Yasmine waiting there. Someone comes up with a walkie talkie, and they start laughing - Greg's on drums tonight, they say, and thus playing the washboard - so Holy Johnny's gonna be a "comedy routine."

Standing between us and the stage is Owen, a sweet fellow with a great Scottish accent. I chat him up - he tells me he's been with the tour since it first began - the longest running behind-the-scenes member. Cheryl tells us he's our "cue guy" - and he laughs and goes "I'm also a cute guy." I replied with "of course - especially with that accent!" He laughed again and said yeah, there wouldn't be many like his around Vancouver. He then handed out lollipops to all us LGs and BGs. :wub2:

Moments later I spot Saranayde come down, followed shortly by the other band members. Then...Mika. The band gathers around in a circle. What happened next was unbelievable - they all began this rhythmic hand clapping thing, with Mika leading and the others following, picking up speed and varying the beats. Finally, they ended off with their hands in the centre, the traditional "heyyyy, MIKA" thing you may recall from the DVD.

He then comes through the doorway, and is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I hear 9 to 5 starting, and the audience goes nuts. Mika's mom comes over, and he gives her the sweetest hug, followed by one for Yasmine. I don't think for a second that he's exaggerating when he talks about his family life being brilliant. He's so sweet - he sings to himself while waiting, softly, but man oh man. LOVE HIM.

He comes closer, and sort of cocks his head toward the stage, listening. It's the interlude, where Sara pops out from behind the balloon. He then gets a peeved look, and tells the stage hand - "they're doing it WRONG! It should be faster, like this!" And claps his hands to indicate the desired rhythm. Stage hand is off like a shot, and Mika seems to relax.

At that moment, he realized that there were seven pairs of adoring eyes staring at him, barely a foot away. He flashed us this amazing smile, and shook each of our hands. Then, Relax. Mika bounds through the opening to the stage, and a moment later, I'm hearing those unthinkable, wonderful opening notes - from backstage at his concert. His voice...that song...those notes...that smile. :mf_lustslow:

There's a door to the stage, with a window about 25 cm high by maybe 15 cm wide. I wrangle a position to peer through the window, and there's our Mika, performing Relax. He really is all over the stage - that's how he stays so damn skinny, his gigs are so high energy. I have a perfect view of Sara, who is amazing - a main part of her role, apart from singing of course, is to interact with the crowd, get them clapping and whatnot, when Mika's on the other side of the stage. And it works brilliantly.

We were all dancing to Relax, and John was like "good job - get warmed up, gals!"

Soon we hear - "Are there any big girls in the house tonight? Any skinny girls with the soul of a big girl? HEY - what are YOU cheering for - you're a bloke!" :roftl:

Our Big Girls take their places, and before long Owen cues them to go out. We watch them through the window in the door - the pulled-from-queue dancers follow pro-dancer-Fran's lead, and they look beautiful and sassy. Sara grabs one of the girls, and starts dancing with her.

Before long, it's over, and the girls come running back, exhilarated. Then, Cherryl tells us she's going to take us to the other side of the stage to watch the rest of the show...

I should be going to bed but i just can't. I don't know how many times I can say that I love the details, but... I love the details!! I love how he suddenly became aware of you guys. What a good thing he was only blowing his nose and not doing one of the hundreds of other potentially embarassing but hugely human things he could have done!

For those who are neither I think the accents can sound similar :naughty:

it's hard for me to distinguish the regional accents from overseas... i hear the accent though believe me... i love it!

even here, we have local accents, montreal has one & where i grew up (1 mile from vermont), we have a local accent... it's american! even if we speak french, apparently we have an american accent, go figure.

:yay: It's nice to wake up to such an amazing report and pics! :roll1:

IMG_0389.jpg

Awwww... that's fabulous! :wub2:

And Mana, what a tale you're telling! I'm loving it -- so glad it worked

out for you, as I know it was a bit up in the air at first! This is so

exciting to read about! :)

But by collectively I also mean that I've been exposed to so much information via others at MFC that I would have never been motivated to source on my own. Without even really meaning to, you suddenly have this huge knowledge base just from reading the board and socializing with people.

Totally agree, Christine -- I've experienced this with the Disney thing that

I'm involved with,

too. We forget that the majority of people just "like" the thing that

we are so very passionate about. And our passion, when shared,

sort of feeds on itself -- I know I've made trips and done things that

I wouldn't have done if I'd been involved with this forum, just like

I've done with the Disney forum. Groupthink. :naughty:

Owain's from Newcastle, therefore has a Geordie accent. Did he tell you it was Scottish, the monkey?

And he is No 10. He has his own thread here!http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10170&page=3

Aha! I recall the name "Owen" from way back at the beginning of

last year... but I had no idea he was No. 10! Mystery solved! Thanks!

So... has Mana written her next installment yet...???

dcdeb

For those who are neither I think the accents can sound similar :naughty:

Yeah, as a North American I usually have to hear someone speak for a good few minutes before I can start to place regional accents that are closer together than the huge north versus south divide. And it's always a guessing game anyway.

it's hard for me to distinguish the regional accents from overseas... i hear the accent though believe me... i love it!

even here, we have local accents, montreal has one & where i grew up (1 mile from vermont), we have a local accent... it's american! even if we speak french, apparently we have an american accent, go figure.

American/Canadian and Australian/New Zealand - they always

confuse me!! :blink:

Mana, I just want to hug you and thank you for SUCH an amazing report! I can't wait to read the rest! I totally agree--you need to be an official Mika reporter, so we can get backstage stuff like this every time.

And I also love these details that show Mika is human, just like us. It's actually a comfort, because he's SO amazing, talented, kind, and charismatic that these moments where we see him being human make him...even MORE perfect to me. (If that makes sense.) He's incredible, and nothing will ever make me think differently. I also loved to hear how he hugged him mom and Yasmine before the show. Love. Him. So. Much.

I'm glad to be one of the DH MFCers. It may be crazy, but I'm loving it. :wub2:

I have got to get Skype sorted out Wendi and then you can listen first hand to this Aussie accent (which sounds NOTHING! like a kiwi accent lol!)

Haha!!!!! Wondered if it would strike a note with someone!!

I have no problem with the Geordie accent being confused

with the Scottish one - I love the Geordie accent!! My penpal

is from NZ, and she always tells me she sounds NOTHING like

an Australian!! :roftl: :roftl:

Obsessive personality, hmm. :wink2:

:naughty: That's for sure

Woah, I nodded off for 15 min. and all the action started again! Its 6:15 AM here in LA, and i've only slept for an hour so far...Craziness.

6.15, OG, you really should go to bed :naughty:

I should be going to bed but i just can't. I don't know how many times I can say that I love the details, but... I love the details!! I love how he suddenly became aware of you guys. What a good thing he was only blowing his nose and not doing one of the hundreds of other potentially embarassing but hugely human things he could have done!

Lol, I just love the scene, even doing nothing embarrasing, just standing around casually, not noticing the 7 adoring fans, who's lives have just been made complete, staring at him :naughty:

American/Canadian and Australian/New Zealand - they always confuse me!!

Whaaaat! We do not talk about sex and fush and chups over here, thanks. Me doesn't think we sound anything alike :sneaky2:

And I also love these details that show Mika is human, just like us. It's actually a comfort, because he's SO amazing, talented, kind, and charismatic that these moments where we see him being human make him...even MORE perfect to me. (If that makes sense.) He's incredible, and nothing will ever make me think differently. I also loved to hear how he hugged him mom and Yasmine before the show. Love. Him. So. Much.

I'm glad to be one of the DH MFCers. It may be crazy, but I'm loving it. :wub2:

I love it also! Ahhh! And I love it that we all love it and that we get these fabulous reports!!!

Haha!!!!! Wondered if it would strike a note with someone!!

I have no problem with the Geordie accent being confused

with the Scottish one - I love the Geordie accent!! My penpal

is from NZ, and she always tells me she sounds NOTHING like

an Australian!! :roftl: :roftl:

Sorry:blush-anim-cl: It's an inbred habit to "bite" at any suggestion that we sound similar.