So it seems things are changing for him...

BonjourMika1990

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that, Kourtney. More often than not, I can't stand security guards. Only rarely do you find some genuinely nice ones, it seems.

But then again, security guards are paid to be strict and not to befriend the fans/help them stalk the artist. :naughty::roftl:

If I have to see that French broad say that stupid thank-you speech one more time, I'm going to kill someone.

Come on Sarie, where's my trophie...:naughty:

my bad were you being sarcastic??? I can never tell:wink2:

p.s. that was sarcasm :blush-anim-cl:

LOL OMG NEVER WUD HAVE GESSED THAT WAS SRACASM.

If I have to see that French broad say that stupid thank-you speech one more time, I'm going to kill someone.

LOL OMG NEVER WUD HAVE GESSED THAT WAS SRACASM.

Ooooh, bring it about Marion Cotillard again and see what happens:sneaky2:

That woman is no broad, she's brilliant:mf_lustslow:

Ooooh, bring it about Marion Cotillard again and see what happens:sneaky2:

That woman is no broad, she's brilliant:mf_lustslow:

What's going to happen?

Actually, you kind of look like her.

Mika... in Vermont. AH HAAAAA. Seriously though. :lmfao: It'll be like that farewell Phish concert that was held here except with all the MFCers flocking to Vermont thinking it'll be easier to meet him because there's no one here. :naughty: Lets just hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge mud fest (http://images.evalu8.org/images/1phish.jpg) and where we had reports that stores were running out of milk and whatever else because of all the people. :blink: Glad I didn't live in that area even though I would have gotten free tickets. :o Before the concert: http://www.scenesofvermont.com/phish/images/interstate91.jpg I know EXACTLY where that is. I drive by there to and from college. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/14/national/15phish.large1.jpg I just read that 70,000 tickets were sold. I didn't think this state could hold that many people hahaha. I like how in that last picture people drove off the road for no reason haha.

Nah, no ebay for me thanks. Remember those tickets I was debating on bidding on? yeah they sold for over $300. Forget that hahaha.

I remember when my dad told me about that Phish thing. :roftl: aka Hell.

Oh but those tickets you were looking at would've been so worth it. :das:

Dang...that's really depressing if it's true.:no:

But it caaan't be! I mean, it's freaking Mika! He wouldn't do that would he? I mean, he sure is one busy guy these days, and he's got plenty of places to go and people to see. He really doesnt HAVE to meet with us at All, right? Maybe it's just the guards doing their job because there's more people?!:blowup:

I donnooo....

Agh.

But Mika's not a prisoner, he provides them with instructions for what to do and they wouldn't do anything without his consent. If they did, I don't think they'd be his management anymore... :roftl:

Obviously Mika understands the risks that come with increased fame and it's prudent to limit the amount of contact with fans... although they all may look "nice," some may be up to no good. The same thing goes for why the presidential hopefuls have had Secret Service agents following them around since last year. Better safe than sorry.

Please don't get the wrong idea here. I know that MIKA has his own say in things as well!

This conversation has cropped up a few times lately, in a bunch of other threads.

Yes, our l'il boy is growin' up. Did you see the size of the venue he's playing in Paris this July? Something like 47,000 people! I can't imagine. After seeing him in a 2,000 person venue, I sort of don't even want to imagine. That's July of 2008. As recently as November/December 2006, he was playing to crowds of less than a thousand.

500 people to 45,000 people in the space of 18 months is freakin' massive.

I don't necessarily think that the "fame" aspect was his goal when first making LICM. I think he wanted to get far enough with his music so that he could make a living with it, go on tour, and do what he obviously loves - perform.

I think that if we went back in time and told Mika in February 2006 that within two years he'd be selling out stadiums, and that LICM would sell more than five million copies...he'd probably giggle at us, not believing a word of it.

That said, it has happened...and a by-product of that is that access is getting sadly more limited. John gets to double as a bit of a drill sergeant after the shows, in order to make sure Mika doesn't get mobbed, or spend half his life signing things and posing for photos.

I don't believe for a moment that the fame has "changed" him, or that he's not deeply appreciative of his fans. I think he also knows that many an act has released a killer first album, only to have their second album flop. But, I'm sure that Mika himself has days when he dreads the thought of standing out in the cold to meet a long line of fans...not because of anything against his fans, but because he's cold/tired/sick/grumpy, or whatever.

But, it IS the end of an era. We got a fair bit of access at most stops on this last North American tour, even in LA were there was probably between 100 and 200 people lined up to meet him. But thinking back, less than a year ago he was playing in CD shops and bookstores.

So it's all an evolution. Moments like that, sadly are going to become rare things. And that postively sucks for the fans who have never gotten a moment with him, as well as for those who have gotten these moments but crave more. On this side of the pond, we're kind of lucky that US radio has been slow to embrace Mika. He may never play more to more that 3,000 people at most shows here, and while I wish him the best, I can't say I'd be too upset if that turns out to be the case.

I've waxed before about how, for us fans, it's sh*tty to think that we won't get pics and autographs. We won't get to give him gifts, and it'll be harder and harder to be front row at his shows.

The tradeoff is that this guy that we all love is getting to do what HE loves...and even if it's changing, at least we get to benefit. A new album is on the horizon, but who knows what Meeks has in store beyond that. A stadium tour? Followed by a rebel-against-stadiums intimate acoustic tour? Another DVD? So many possibilities.

I think that as bittersweet as it is, its helpful to focus on the fact that his star is only beginning to rise...even if he personally isn't as accessible, there's oh so much more still to come from him.

I'm not sure if any of that made sense, but it's my two cents...

100% AGREED!!!

Actually, Mika remains exceptionally--and personally, almost surprisingly--easy to meet after shows. I thought for sure that by this point (ie, when he's selling out stadiums), you'd be lucky to meet him and if you weren't one of the first people in line, you wouldn't get an autograph. He doesn't do the protracted meet-and-greets where, if you catch him, he'll talk for you for 5 minutes or more, no. But then again, more and more people are waiting for him now and that would be unfeasible. But, after every concert, it's an expected thing that you'll get to see him if you just wait long enough. And not only will you get to see him, but he'll come over and you'll get a little bit of his time, not just if you're one of the first 5 people waiting, but even if you're 10, 15, 20 people away (although yes, if you're 25 people away he may just wave and leave at that point).

But do you know how rare that is? With most popular artists, it's a gamble if they come out at all. And when they do come out, often all you'll get is a wave and smile as they walk to the car, and maybe 5 people can get autographs if they're pushy. The fact that we can be disappointed that Mika did not show is itself a luxury! Mika continues to show rare interest in his fans.

But are things changing? Certainly.

Fans lining up and down the block to meet him is becoming expected rather than a novelty to him. He is no longer as excited to see people waiting after, taking it as something of business as usual rather than a shiny new experience, and so of course the thrill of interacting with all the fans has faded--not in a bad way, but in a human way. He still wants to meet us, both because he values us and he wants our feedback and he acknowledges all the support we've given him. but really, how interesting is it for him, do you think, to meet 20-50-100 people every night who all basically have the same thing to say to him, and who all make a demand on his time? How interesting would it be for you to have to go down a long line of people every night after work who just keep repeating, "I love you, that show was fantastic, come to Minneapolis, I made this for you, you're amazing, that was a great show, I love you, etc" and holding out things for you to sign?

So has fame changed him? Oh yes. He's said so. Yes, he's become more jaded, perhaps more guarded. But no more so than is normal, than anyone in his situation would. As someone pointed out, he pays his manager to come out and tell people that there'll be no autographs, no photographs, that it'll have to be quick, etc. Then, with expectations sufficiently lowered and boundaries set in place, he is free to come out and play the "good guy," bending some of these boundaries, taking a quick photo here, signing something there. But it's not like he is deeply dying to sign every single person's LiCM booklet and the management is keeping him from it by force--you can bet he tells John whether he wants to make it quick that day or not.

In any case, of course we can all pine for the days when you could go to the nearest pub after a gig and see him hanging out there, and he'd chat with you for 20 minutes and you could buy him a pint. But it's sort of silly to complain that it's not happening anymore, isn't it? Especially when he does continue to give back as much as he is realistically able.

--Jack

I remember when my dad told me about that Phish thing. :roftl: aka Hell.

Oh but those tickets you were looking at would've been so worth it. :das:

Hahaha. Was he a Phish head or whatever the fans were called or was it because it was semi-close to where you used to live? :naughty:

So now this state is known for that farewell concert and winning the Simpsons contest so their Springfield is named after the Springfield here. :naughty: Mika likes the Simpsons right? He should totally visit then. :roftl:

Um yeah no. Have you got the $300 some odd dollars for me?

Yeah...

didn't think so.

: P

he's a mika imposter i swear.

Actually, Mika remains exceptionally--and personally, almost surprisingly--easy to meet after shows. I thought for sure that by this point (ie, when he's selling out stadiums), you'd be lucky to meet him and if you weren't one of the first people in line, you wouldn't get an autograph. He doesn't do the protracted meet-and-greets where, if you catch him, he'll talk for you for 5 minutes or more, no. But then again, more and more people are waiting for him now and that would be unfeasible. But, after every concert, it's an expected thing that you'll get to see him if you just wait long enough. And not only will you get to see him, but he'll come over and you'll get a little bit of his time, not just if you're one of the first 5 people waiting, but even if you're 10, 15, 20 people away (although yes, if you're 25 people away he may just wave and leave at that point).

But do you know how rare that is? With most popular artists, it's a gamble if they come out at all. And when they do come out, often all you'll get is a wave and smile as they walk to the car, and maybe 5 people can get autographs if they're pushy. The fact that we can be disappointed that Mika did not show is itself a luxury! Mika continues to show rare interest in his fans.

--Jack

Yep, I agree. What I was trying to say earlier.

Hahaha. Was he a Phish head or whatever the fans were called or was it because it was semi-close to where you used to live? :naughty:

So now this state is known for that farewell concert and winning the Simpsons contest so their Springfield is named after the Springfield here. :naughty: Mika likes the Simpsons right? He should totally visit then. :roftl:

Um yeah no. Have you got the $300 some odd dollars for me?

Yeah...

didn't think so.

: P

he's a mika imposter i swear.

I don't know, he'd followed them somewhat but it was mainly due to proximity and the fact that he loves everything that lives and breathes New England (particularly Vermont). Probably would prefer the Phish Food ice cream to that "jam band." :roftl:

But...but...but...

niva1.png

psh just because joey dear stands on his tiptoes, wears those sunglasses, has his pants painted on, beats on a trash can, and knows he's hot sh!t doesn't make him a mika imposter. :naughty:

I don't think its MIKA. its the music biz and management. I sense MIKA as a beautiful soul who does want to see us..that is how i felt...but I have empathic abilities and I sensed a sadness ,,,,Ritchie mentioned that perhaps he is on a schedule for recording at the same time and it might be preoccupying his mind...that is what I see

I don't know, he'd followed them somewhat but it was mainly due to proximity and the fact that he loves everything that lives and breathes New England (particularly Vermont). Probably would prefer the Phish Food ice cream to that "jam band." :roftl:

But...but...but...

niva1.png

psh just because joey dear stands on his tiptoes, wears those sunglasses, has his pants painted on, beats on a trash can, and knows he's hot sh!t doesn't make him a mika imposter. :naughty:

Oooh your dad "loves everything that lives and breathes in New England." So that means he should have no problem with me! and you and I meeting someday.

haha

I loooove the Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream. I think that's the first B&J's flavor that I ever tried!

Yes your "Joey" is SUCH a Mika imposter... like you said... stands on his tiptoes, wears those sunglasses, has his pants painted on, beats on a trash can, knows he's hot sh!t, AND HE WEARS THAT GOLD JACKET!!!!!!

He is SUCH a Mika imposter. Seriously to a t. That's why Kev is a cutie, he's ORIGINAL!

Actually, Mika remains exceptionally--and personally, almost surprisingly--easy to meet after shows. I thought for sure that by this point (ie, when he's selling out stadiums), you'd be lucky to meet him and if you weren't one of the first people in line, you wouldn't get an autograph.

You know, I've never stalked another artist post-gig before, so I'm interested in what "other" artists do. I really have no idea how often this sort of thing happens.

He is no longer as excited to see people waiting after, taking it as something of business as usual rather than a shiny new experience, and so of course the thrill of interacting with all the fans has faded--not in a bad way, but in a human way. He still wants to meet us, both because he values us and he wants our feedback and he acknowledges all the support we've given him. but really, how interesting is it for him, do you think, to meet 20-50-100 people every night who all basically have the same thing to say to him, and who all make a demand on his time?

He's got more patience than a lot of people. I'm thoroughly impressed at how he comes out and takes the time to interact with fans so frequently.

As someone pointed out, he pays his manager to come out and tell people that there'll be no autographs, no photographs, that it'll have to be quick, etc. Then, with expectations sufficiently lowered and boundaries set in place, he is free to come out and play the "good guy," bending some of these boundaries, taking a quick photo here, signing something there...you can bet he tells John whether he wants to make it quick that day or not.

He blames security, too. At one of the gigs I was at, someone asked him for a picture, and he said "no, I really can't, they'll get <word for angry>" and pointed at security. I doubt the bored-looking venue security could have cared less if he posed for pictures or not.

But, that's PR. After a long night, John gets to come across as the surly manager, and Mika gets to be the teddy bear...when all he wants is to get out of the spotlight, take off his shoes and find a soft chair and a cold beer. Or a warm, quiet bed.

In any case, of course we can all pine for the days when you could go to the nearest pub after a gig and see him hanging out there, and he'd chat with you for 20 minutes and you could buy him a pint. But it's sort of silly to complain that it's not happening anymore, isn't it? Especially when he does continue to give back as much as he is realistically able.

I disagree that it's silly. Mika's rise to fame has been, to borrow an entertainment journalism cliche, "meteoric". Not so long ago, early Mika fans could feel like they were in on some fabulous secret. Stories and videos are all over about Mika talking with fans for minutes rather than seconds, or wandering around after the gig actively searching for fans who want to talk to him. I don't think it's silly to be a bit nostalgic for those days, especially when you consider that those days were less than a year ago...and now he's a five times platinum Grammy nominee.

Believe me, if I could hop a time machine and go back to the day when I could buy Mika a pint and chat with him for twenty minutes, I'd be so there. :naughty:

Oooh your dad "loves everything that lives and breathes in New England." So that means he should have no problem with me! and you and I meeting someday.

haha

I loooove the Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream. I think that's the first B&J's flavor that I ever tried!

Yes your "Joey" is SUCH a Mika imposter... like you said... stands on his tiptoes, wears those sunglasses, has his pants painted on, beats on a trash can, knows he's hot sh!t, AND HE WEARS THAT GOLD JACKET!!!!!!

He is SUCH a Mika imposter. Seriously to a t. That's why Kev is a cutie, he's ORIGINAL!

:roftl: Wishful thinking... but hey that's a good point :naughty:

Sure he is.

Except for the whole Drake Bell issue. :naughty:

Mika is a beautiful soul who also often wants to rush out the door to go get drunk with his friends. :naughty:

I've read the gig report just now though, and I definitely understand how disappointing that must be, especially for Caz. But that's the thing, the type of meet-and-greet she described is usually the best-case-scenario for other artists.

--Jack

You know, I've never stalked another artist post-gig before, so I'm interested in what "other" artists do. I really have no idea how often this sort of thing happens.

He's got more patience than a lot of people. I'm thoroughly impressed at how he comes out and takes the time to interact with fans so frequently.

He blames security, too. At one of the gigs I was at, someone asked him for a picture, and he said "no, I really can't, they'll get <word for angry>" and pointed at security. I doubt the bored-looking venue security could have cared less if he posed for pictures or not.

But, that's PR. After a long night, John gets to come across as the surly manager, and Mika gets to be the teddy bear...when all he wants is to get out of the spotlight, take off his shoes and find a soft chair and a cold beer. Or a warm, quiet bed.

I disagree that it's silly. Mika's rise to fame has been, to borrow an entertainment journalism cliche, "meteoric". Not so long ago, early Mika fans could feel like they were in on some fabulous secret. Stories and videos are all over about Mika talking with fans for minutes rather than seconds, or wandering around after the gig actively searching for fans who want to talk to him. I don't think it's silly to be a bit nostalgic for those days, especially when you consider that those days were less than a year ago...and now he's a five times platinum Grammy nominee.

Believe me, if I could hop a time machine and go back to the day when I could buy Mika a pint and chat with him for twenty minutes, I'd be so there. :naughty:

pssst, mana check your pm :thumb_yello:

Great post by the way, and Id on't think its silly either...

No no no, it's not silly to be nostalgic for those days or pine for that type of situation/opportunity.

It is, however, a bit silly to complain that it's not happening now, and to hold Mika responsible for it, as though he has an obligation to fulfill all our fannish fantasies, or as though he's somehow a "changed for the worse" person because he doesn't want to spend an hour talking to us all anymore.

--Jack