Leona Lewis - America

babspanky

Is this right that Leona Lewis is in the top 10 singles in America?

Who's buying it? I mean, she's the darling of X Factor here and does have a good voice, but......

Is it marketing, or American taste?

Is Mika destined to be cult only?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon Lewis? Sounds like all the other pieces of faeces we get from America. Im sure he majority of people are gonna loooove her. :puke: Do I have to say that I hate everything Idol, Popstarzzzz and X-Factor. Factory music :puke:

Well from what I heard she was on Oprah Winfreys show last week with Simon Cowell on there too, bigging her up. And she has Clive Davies the top man at BMG backing her, so her marketing over there is full throttle, and with Perez fawning over her too, she's got it all. Wouldn't surprise me if she's at his party too, should be interesting seeing her and the big guy in the same room. My moneys on Mika to win.LOL!

Well from what I heard she was on Oprah Winfreys show last week with Simon Cowell on there too, bigging her up. And she has Clive Davies the top man at BMG backing her, so her marketing over there is full throttle, and with Perez fawning over her too, she's got it all. Wouldn't surprise me if she's at his party too, should be interesting seeing her and the big guy in the same room. My moneys on Mika to win.LOL!

To win what?

i heard simon cowell was obsessively buying it :mf_rosetinted:

haha no im kidding. ive seen/heard her talk to interviewers ans stuff but her personality seems very bland to me. like, there's no life in her, just another manufactured pop artist. dont get me wrong, i agree with you Bab, she has a great voice and she performs well, but in person she seems positively dull.

i heard simon cowell was obsessively buying it :mf_rosetinted:

haha no im kidding. ive seen/heard her talk to interviewers ans stuff but her personality seems very bland to me. like, there's no life in her, just another manufactured pop artist. dont get me wrong, i agree with you Bab, she has a great voice and she performs well, but in person she seems positively dull.

I know, almost too sweet. I feel bad if I say anything bad about her, she is so sweet. I mean I have liked her last 2 singles, but got sick to death of Bleeding Love and she does sound just like everyone else. Mika is different and refreshing - why can't some people see this?

Leon Lewis? Sounds like all the other pieces of faeces we get from America. Im sure he majority of people are gonna loooove her. :puke: Do I have to say that I hate everything Idol, Popstarzzzz and X-Factor. Factory music :puke:

Err...she is an English-based artist to begin with, so I hardly think we (America) are the ones who's been responsible for her initial success.

Also Idol and the X-Factor originated in the UK...

Personally, I've only heard about her through the MFC and I have heard her song once on the radio.

Err...she is an English-based artist to begin with, so I hardly think we (America) are the ones who's been responsible for her initial success.

Personally, I've only heard about her through the MFC and I have heard her song once on the radio.

What I tried to write is that we only get extreme mainstream music form the US. X Factor and co. also only gives us mainstream factory music. I didn't say that.

Edit: Now with a happy smiley :biggrin2:

But she has now got a top ten hit in America, something Mika has failed to do while having four in the UK last year and goodness knows how many in other European countries as well as a million selling album which hasn't been out of the top 20 for more than a year.

Is it just marketing, or is Leona more suited to American tastes, is my question?

I know, almost too sweet. I feel bad if I say anything bad about her, she is so sweet. I mean I have liked her last 2 singles, but got sick to death of Bleeding Love and she does sound just like everyone else. Mika is different and refreshing - why can't some people see this?

Sweet? I admit I haven't seen much of her - can't exactly call myself a fan - but she just seems so DULL. I remember watching something on TV, about the making of her booklet for her CD or something? well whatever, she was having photoshoots done in some field or whatever in America, and she was like "yeah it's a lot of fun" but it sounded as if there was no enthusiasm. There's just nothing. I don't see a spark in her, personally.

Sweet? I admit I haven't seen much of her - can't exactly call myself a fan - but she just seems so DULL. I remember watching something on TV, about the making of her booklet for her CD or something? well whatever, she was having photoshoots done in some field or whatever in America, and she was like "yeah it's a lot of fun" but it sounded as if there was no enthusiasm. There's just nothing. I don't see a spark in her, personally.

I know exactly what you mean - insipid is the word I think?

I gotcha, Enfa. :)

babspanky, I really don't know how to answer your question. I am not even familiar with her music, so it would be difficult for me to know whether or not the US would like her or not.

However, if it's true that Clive Davies is backing her, then that can answer a lot of the question. He is a big deal in the US music scene and whatever he puts out usually comes out golden.

I hear her on a popular Toronto radio station at least once a day. I can't dany that she has an amazing voice. Artist? I dunno. Time will tell.

According to the Nielsen ratings, she is ranked # 25 for the week of March 20/08 for radioplay in Canada.

Mika has to consider more effective marketing for his 2nd album if he wants to impress upon America. Mika needs to go on Oprah. A Mika song needs to be played on an Apple (Computer) commercial. A Mika song needs to be on the soundtrack of a major motion picture.

American Mika fans need to get their radio stations to play his songs. :biggrin2:

I know exactly what you mean - insipid is the word I think?

Insipid \In*sip"id\, a. [L. insipidus; pref. in- not + sapidus savory, fr. sapere to taste: cf. F. insipide. See Savor.]

1. Wanting in the qualities which affect the organs of taste; without taste or savor; vapid; tasteless; as, insipid drink or food. --Boyle.

2. Wanting in spirit, life, or animation; uninteresting; weak; vapid; flat; dull; heavy; as, an insipid woman; an insipid composition.

Flat, insipid, and ridiculous stuff to him. --South.

But his wit is faint, and his salt, if I may dare to say so, almost insipid. --Dryden.

Syn: Tasteless; vapid; dull; spiritless; unanimated; lifeless; flat; stale; pointless; uninteresting.

there you are! Thanks for that word, Bab. I'm writing a novel and it may come in handly :naughty: I'll credit you if ya like :roftl: :roftl:

but yes, I agree that Mika needs more marketing. I know he's appeared on So You Think You Can Dance and Jay Leno, but like you say he does need an Oprah. Or what about that Letterman guy?

Is it just marketing, or is Leona more suited to American tastes, is my question?

Definitely not my taste. VH1 is playing her music video once an hour in the mornings, so she's getting a lot of promotion and exposure.

She does have a very nice voice, but I just have so much more appreciation for artists who write their own music... otherwise it kinda seems like they're only puppets with a voice. That's only how I feel though:thumb_yello:

Definitely not my taste. VH1 is playing her music video once an hour in the mornings, so she's getting a lot of promotion and exposure.

She does have a very nice voice, but I just have so much more appreciation for artists who write their own music... otherwise it kinda seems like they're only puppets with a voice. That's only how I feel though:thumb_yello:

Oh, I agree, there just seems to be more substance to them somehow. That's not to say I don't like artists who have their songs written for them, but I know what you mean.

I believe she has written or co written some stuff on her album but I haven't got it so can't confirm that or say if it's any good.

she did co-write some of the songs. i dont know what ones though, as i don't have her album.

Oh, I agree, there just seems to be more substance to them somehow. That's not to say I don't like artists who have their songs written for them, but I know what you mean.

I believe she has written or co written some stuff on her album but I haven't got it so can't confirm that or say if it's any good.

You stole my thoughts :sneaky2:

I hear her on a popular Toronto radio station at least once a day. I can't dany that she has an amazing voice. Artist? I dunno. Time will tell.

According to the Nielsen ratings, she is ranked # 25 for the week of March 20/08 for radioplay in Canada.

Mika has to consider more effective marketing for his 2nd album if he wants to impress upon America. Mika needs to go on Oprah. A Mika song needs to be played on an Apple (Computer) commercial. A Mika song needs to be on the soundtrack of a major motion picture.

Hi Jerry Blair! *waves at Jerry who may one day read a thread on the URL he's (has? soon will be?) taking over*. Maybe this is where you and the almost 10,000 member MFC can make a bit of difference. :biggrin2:

I do agree about going on Oprah. For some reason she can give people instant fame just by having them appear on her show.

Well, I think it would be good for him. Talk shows are really great publicity over here and Oprah in particular is huge in the US. It would basically be the same thing as when he went on Jay Leno.

Getting to be interviewed by her would be an even bigger plus.