The Blood Donation Thread

I am currently in the process of (failing dismally at) a new project.

It is not related to the mfc in the slightest, but if you fancied a bit of dark humour, we can call it the unofficial MM4 :wink2:

We all know how valuable the donations of blood, organs, marrow and tissue can be. But yet the amount of people who donate is minimal.

Facebook is a social networking site that a lot of us use on a regular basis.

So who says that the potential of sites such as these has to be used in recruiting masses into committing to panic buy carrots on a specific day or playing scrabulous, rating friends and generally not being constructive?

The aim of these groups that i am about to show you is to provide a place where those of the same blood type can find information about the uses of donations, and how to donate, as well as being found by those who so desperately need a certain match.

There are 100s of 1000s of groups and websites with people urgently requesting help, and yet there is no official database that is open to the public as a whole, and to be honest, i think thats wrong (and we all know that i do when i think something is wrong; i either get myself into trouble, or make a silly project - hopefully i am doing the latter this time round).

So i would appreciate your help into kickstarting a project that can do something so simple, and hopefully, change a life or two along the way.

Please send these links onto family and friends, and join the group that matches your blood type.

A Negative Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8769123537

A Positive Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13191926787

AB Negative Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11213851063

AB Positive Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8682867905

B Negative Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9001233188

B Positive Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8657989854

O Negative Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39555210216

O Positive Blood Type:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8411259903

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I donated for quite a few years, I think I was up to about 18 donations, but I am not allowed to now because I have been given blood myself.

It's a piece of cake really, and nothing to be scared of.

I am still an organ donor though, and have been since I was a teenager, because my brother had a kidney transplant when he was about 19, so I know the benefits it could bring, (almost) first hand.

Can I still join for future reference even if I'm currently underweight to make blood donations?

Sure :) There currently isnt any information available as the project is a few hours old, and you do need to be 17 to donate blood or 18 for anything else however you are more than welcome to join.

Oooh cool!

I donate at the moment... even though most times I donate I end up feeling faint... or I see spots and my hearing gets muffled... apparently that's nothing I should really worry about... :blink:

That is very normal indeed which is why they allow time for people to rest and gain their strength back.

I hope that if more people start donating, the amount of blood needed from donators will decrease in time.

At the moment, due to shortages, they take as much as possible whilst still allowing you to be healthy and act as you normally would.

Ive donated before, but i always faint about 5 min's after having it done.

Its realy strange since i never faint when i have any piercings:blink:

But its worth it, Its for a good cause.

I've started donated recently... sometimes I feel faint other times I'm fine...

But its all worth it

I can't donate because of an immunodeficiency. But I need immunoglobulines twice a week. They're made out of plasma and that is won by donations.... So I'm glad that there are people who donate, blood or plasma or whatever. I need you:naughty: so thanks:mf_rosetinted:

Keep up the good work!!:thumb_yello:

I really wanted to donate, but having lived in the UK during the mad cow problems, and then subesquently in Japan through their own mad cow problems, most places prohibit me from donating. They assume I am a risk because I may have eaten meat tainted by the mad cow affliction.:boxed:

I really wanted to donate, but having lived in the UK during the mad cow problems, and then subesquently in Japan through their own mad cow problems, most places prohibit me from donating. They assume I am a risk because I may have eaten meat tainted by the mad cow affliction.:boxed:

*Attempts to resist temptation to say that it would explain alot*

*Fails*

That is very normal indeed which is why they allow time for people to rest and gain their strength back.

I hope that if more people start donating, the amount of blood needed from donators will decrease in time.

At the moment, due to shortages, they take as much as possible whilst still allowing you to be healthy and act as you normally would.

Over here I know they take a pint of blood from each person... I'm not sure if the same applies everywhere but I don't see why it wouldn't.

*Attempts to resist temptation to say that it would explain alot*

*Fails*

Uhhh, didn't you live in the UK during mad cow disease? :roftl:

Hey, that's kind of odd... so you people in UK or whatever are allowed to give your crappy mad cow blood to each other but not us :lmao:

Yay, I joined my group O NEGATIVES UNITE!!! :punk:

*feels a little bit lonely*

:yay:Wooo MM4!

A) How do I find out what blood type I am?

B) Can I donate if I am asthmatic?

Hehe, just wondering....

To find out your blood type you can speak to your local doctor.

As far as i am aware, asthma should no disqualify you from donating blood as long as you do not donate whilst having problems breathing - for obvious reasons.

Some nurses would ask those who suffer from asthma and take certain medications not to donate, but in the majority there are no problems.

Before each person donates they are asked a series of questions related to health by a qualified nurse and they can tell you then whether or not it is safe for you :)

I am under-weight - and epileptic - so they wont take my blood.

Shame really as I carry anti-D platelets from giving birth to bairns

with Positive blood groups!!

:thumbdown:

*had to look up "bairns" because she had no idea what a bairn was and honestly thought it was a typo for "brains", but thought that would be a really really strange thing to say*

I have no idea what anti-D platelets are, but that's quite interesting that your blood can change after having bairns. (*has adopted weird word into vocabulary*)

A) How do I find out what blood type I am?

After you donate they'll send it off for testing (to figure that out and that you're not sick with anything) and tell you :original:

I've never donated before.. I'd love to do it and actually asked but apparently you kind do it until you're 18.. Is that true of any other country?

I'd think it changes with each country. Here you can donate at 16-17 if you have parental consent :thumb_yello:

I've never donated before.. I'd love to do it and actually asked but apparently you kind do it until you're 18.. Is that true of any other country?

It changes for each county, here it is 17 with no parental consent needed, however if you have a rare blood type, in extreme circumstances such as accidents or surgeries, they will 'call out' anyone and everyone locally who fits that blood type.

Hey Bianca - Any O Neg buddies yet?

It changes for each county, here it is 17 with no parental consent needed, however if you have a rare blood type, in extreme circumstances such as accidents or surgeries, they will 'call out' anyone and everyone locally who fits that blood type.

What do you mean? Like if they don't have any blood or something? Like on that episode of Lost when Jack put his blood into Boon? :roftl:

Hey Bianca - Any O Neg buddies yet?

*tries to figure out*

*is confused by facebook*

No! :tears: Just me and my good friend bloodgroups123 :roftl:

What do you mean? Like if they don't have any blood or something? Like on that episode of Lost when Jack put his blood into Boon? :roftl:

*tries to figure out*

*is confused by facebook*

No! :tears: Just me and my good friend bloodgroups123 :roftl:

Well for things like accidents or emergancy surgery.

Most hospitals dont carry enough rare blood for situations like that, so those with rare blood types are sometimes have to donate to help, they have helicopters here that are there if they need a donation due to an accident at 3am for example and the nearest person of that blood type is 100 miles away.

Ha ha did the 123 give it away?

To find out your blood type you can speak to your local doctor.

As far as i am aware, asthma should no disqualify you from donating blood as long as you do not donate whilst having problems breathing - for obvious reasons.

Some nurses would ask those who suffer from asthma and take certain medications not to donate, but in the majority there are no problems.

Before each person donates they are asked a series of questions related to health by a qualified nurse and they can tell you then whether or not it is safe for you :)

thanks! this idea is a brill idea - good on you! :thumb_yello:

The most needed blood types are the most common ones. I am O RH Positive which means my blood is very versatile. My blood can be used for 80% of the population so there is always demand for this blood type.

It is a great feeling when you give blood. When they say you are saving lives you literally are. The simplest operations cannot be performed without blood to hand. If that blood is not available, people will die. Simple as that, so you are saving lives.

We have a bloodmobile that comes to my place of work which is very handy. Plus, we get an hour off work for our efforts :D

I have been giving blood for a few years now and I'll continue for as long as I am able. I have sent the Facebook links to my friends btw :cheerful_h4h:

Well for things like accidents or emergancy surgery.

Most hospitals dont carry enough rare blood for situations like that, so those with rare blood types are sometimes have to donate to help, they have helicopters here that are there if they need a donation due to an accident at 3am for example and the nearest person of that blood type is 100 miles away.

For real? So they'd like ... call you up from home or something and be like "OMG Helicopter coming to nick your blood!"?

Ha ha did the 123 give it away?

Yes.

The most needed blood types are the most common ones. I am O RH Positive which means my blood is very versatile. My blood can be used for 80% of the population so there is always demand for this blood type.

It is a great feeling when you give blood. When they say you are saving lives you literally are. The simplest operations cannot be performed without blood to hand. If that blood is not available, people will die. Simple as that, so you are saving lives.

We have a bloodmobile that comes to my place of work which is very handy. Plus, we get an hour off work for our efforts :D

I have been giving blood for a few years now and I'll continue for as long as I am able. I have sent the Facebook links to my friends btw :cheerful_h4h:

Hey friend of Kelzy! (I'm not stalking you :fisch:)

*O-blood type high-five!*

Oh, lol, I just found the letter they sent me after the first time I donated on the fridge (weird), but it says:

"Only 9% of Australians are O negative, however this blood type can be given to anyone regardless of their blood type." :cheerful_h4h:

Exactly, just because your blood type is not rare - does not mean you can't help.

In the uk the percentage of the population with each blood type is as follows:

O Pos 37%

O Neg 7%

Total population with type O: 44%

A Pos 35%

A Neg 7%

Total population with type A: 42%

B Pos 8%

B Neg 2%

Total population with type B: 10%

AB Pos 3%

AB Neg 1%

Total population with type AB: 4%

Total Positive - 83%

Total Negative - 17%

Exactly, just because your blood type is not rare - does not mean you can't help.

'Course, same percentages of each type need blood as percentage of the population tht have them :bleh:

In the uk the percentage of the population with each blood type is as follows:

Interesting! *wonders what blood types even are* *is too lazy to look it up* :naughty: