Get Mika Play

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one can tell me that her song

I keep bleeding, I keep keep bleeding love...

is anywhere near as good as any of Mika's songs

I think it's better than a couple of Mika's songs though ultimately that is simply a matter of taste. And American tastes love young, beautiful R&B divas.

I have no doubt that if Mika got more airplay in the US he would have more fans and sell more records, but in his current incarnation Mika could never appeal to as broad an American audience as Leona Lewis.

Even in the UK Mika polarizes listeners which is why he refers to LICM as a marmite record. That love/hate polarization is going to be even more extreme in the US than it is in the UK.

I think it's better than a couple of Mika's songs though ultimately that is simply a matter of taste. And American tastes love young, beautiful R&B divas.

I have no doubt that if Mika got more airplay in the US he would have more fans and sell more records, but in his current incarnation Mika could never appeal to as broad an American audience as Leona Lewis.

Even in the UK Mika polarizes listeners which is why he refers to LICM as a marmite record. That love/hate polarization is going to be even more extreme in the US than it is in the UK.

This is something i have noticed. Nobody i have asked has ever said "he's okay", it's always "omg i hate him!" or "omg i love him". Which is actually pretty cool. And i think a lot of the people who "hate" him actually like him, because they talk about him more than the people who say they love him. Closet Mika worshippers, insecure in their manliness (unmanliness):ap_rosetinted:

This is something i have noticed. Nobody i have asked has ever said "he's okay", it's always "omg i hate him!" or "omg i love him". Which is actually pretty cool. And i think a lot of the people who "hate" him actually like him, because they talk about him more than the people who say they love him. Closet Mika worshippers, insecure in their manliness (unmanliness):ap_rosetinted:

Hehe...that's very true.:roftl:

You know what I've noticed as well. Some people that I have talked to have said that they don't like Mika but every person has said that he has incredible talent...even the haters.

And i think a lot of the people who "hate" him actually like him, because they talk about him more than the people who say they love him. Closet Mika worshippers, insecure in their manliness (unmanliness):ap_rosetinted:

I agree. I love to taunt haters on YouTube with that. Why would you be hunting around for obscure Mika videos if you didn't love him?

I know! I can't stand reading the nasty comments about Mika on Youtube. One time I was almost crying from what they were saying. I was having an off day, but still! I usually give them thumbs down or spam them. lol! I wish they would stop being so negative though.

I've heard him on the radio a few times. I remember when Grace Kelly was out, and he was all on MTV. Then he kind of faded away. But he's totally been on US shows. I just think some people just keep missing him. I love him, and I know he has tons of fans in the US. He doesn't need the press here. I mean, look at Soulja Boy. He made it on the internet first, and now he's all on TV. Same with Mika. He's HUGE on the 'net. I've tried getting him on the radio, but hardly anyone listens to the radio. No biggie tho, I listen to him on my iPod all the time!!!

I know! I can't stand reading the nasty comments about Mika on Youtube. One time I was almost crying from what they were saying. I was having an off day, but still! I usually give them thumbs down or spam them. lol! I wish they would stop being so negative though.

Oh don't let it bother you. I enjoy mocking them. You'll always be in the majority because, really, not too many people are going to spend their time watching his videos if they don't like him.

I agree. I love to taunt haters on YouTube with that. Why would you be hunting around for obscure Mika videos if you didn't love him?

Such an amazing point.

I'll taunt them one and a while when i'm bored, it can be fun because they are wrong 100% of the time.:naughty:

Guess it's an American trait--being "passionate" about things, and if that's true, I'm damn proud to be an American who is passionate about Mika.

If I felt so blase about him I don't think I'd frequent his website so often, either. I'd listen to his music when I felt like it and wouldn't really waste my time saying "meh" about him where others are besotted. But that's just me.

I think this is a fine idea, and in fact, have already been doing this via email for some time to the stations in my area. Not every day, but on a regular basis I email them.

I think the comment Mika made is total bull**** though....about not playing Grace Kelly because it's about a man thinking about being a woman (or like a woman) or about not playing Love Today because he sings in a higher range like a woman. I don't know who told him that or where those thoughts came from but they don't make ANY sense. After all The Kink's "LOLA" must get played in the US a hundred times a day....and there have been men singing in higher voices who have been popular in the past---Franki Valli, the Stylistics, Prince (listen to "Kiss") etc. I don't even believe the thing about "Billy Brown." Hell, here in the states, we have gay sitcoms, gay talk show hosts, etc. It is definitely NOT taboo. The problem with Mika here---I think---is that he's kind of retro. He doesn't take himself so serious, and he's different than what's out there now. I went to a Panic at the Disco concert last friday. I saw FIVE acts there---The Black Gold, The Hush Sound, Motion City Soundtrack, Phantom Planet, and PATD. NONE of these groups, some of whom have been playing for years together, had one lick of the talent Mika's got. No showmanship. No fun in the music, no vitality. Yeah, some of them play hard but so what? The music is so full of angst and self importance it makes me sick. Going to see Mika after seeing these bands would be like Dorothy walking from Kansas into Oz. Total technicolor. Wonderment. Joy. Whimsy.

Mika gives 100%. I've met him twice. I've read accounts too numerous to mention of how kind and thoughtful he is to his fans. His music is awesome. That he isn't given airplay when there's so much junk on the radio is a crime.

So...if you feel "eh...take it or leave it" about him and how he is received in America, you are perfectly within your right. But I cannot feel that way. I'm a true fan. I want to see him succeed here in a big way. I want my country to walk from sepia into technicolor.

Guess it's an American trait--being "passionate" about things, and if that's true, I'm damn proud to be an American who is passionate about Mika.

If I felt so blase about him I don't think I'd frequent his website so often, either. I'd listen to his music when I felt like it and wouldn't really waste my time saying "meh" about him where others are besotted. But that's just me.

I think this is a fine idea, and in fact, have already been doing this via email for some time to the stations in my area. Not every day, but on a regular basis I email them.

I think the comment Mika made is total bull**** though....about not playing Grace Kelly because it's about a man thinking about being a woman (or like a woman) or about not playing Love Today because he sings in a higher range like a woman. I don't know who told him that or where those thoughts came from but they don't make ANY sense. After all The Kink's "LOLA" must get played in the US a hundred times a day....and there have been men singing in higher voices who have been popular in the past---Franki Valli, the Stylistics, Prince (listen to "Kiss") etc. I don't even believe the thing about "Billy Brown." Hell, here in the states, we have gay sitcoms, gay talk show hosts, etc. It is definitely NOT taboo. The problem with Mika here---I think---is that he's kind of retro. He doesn't take himself so serious, and he's different than what's out there now. I went to a Panic at the Disco concert last friday. I saw FIVE acts there---The Black Gold, The Hush Sound, Motion City Soundtrack, Phantom Planet, and PATD. NONE of these groups, some of whom have been playing for years together, had one lick of the talent Mika's got. No showmanship. No fun in the music, no vitality. Yeah, some of them play hard but so what? The music is so full of angst and self importance it makes me sick. Going to see Mika after seeing these bands would be like Dorothy walking from Kansas into Oz. Total technicolor. Wonderment. Joy. Whimsy.

Mika gives 100%. I've met him twice. I've read accounts too numerous to mention of how kind and thoughtful he is to his fans. His music is awesome. That he isn't given airplay when there's so much junk on the radio is a crime.

So...if you feel "eh...take it or leave it" about him and how he is received in America, you are perfectly within your right. But I cannot feel that way. I'm a true fan. I want to see him succeed here in a big way. I want my country to walk from sepia into technicolor.

Well said! Plus, I also hate all those comments which slag him off, on YouTube, and on Perez's site. But, as people have said, those idiots are searching for him, so they can't hate him THAT much, not really!

And this is just me. It takes all kinds of people to make the world spin. Some people are not over effusive and aren't keen on people who are. Sorry.

I want my country to walk from sepia into technicolor.

I have this friend from russia and this other friend from norway who introduced me this very nice girl from africa and all of them are very passionate, i had no clue that being passionate was an american trait, is it?

but i know so little, i actually thought you country was already into 4 D technicolor for so long leaving us old european nation into that old dusty sepia, we are the ones who need some colors really, i wish mika wasnt so careerist and that he would never be famous in America, he doesnt need that, he shouldnt give a **** about being validated there since anyway the best bands or singers in the world have zero recognition from the US of A. so its just a good sign.

And this is just me. It takes all kinds of people to make the world spin. Some people are not over effusive and aren't keen on people who are. Sorry.

No need to apologise. As I said in my post, this is your right, and I'm certainly not offended by it. I know well there people who are not over effusive...I'm married to one! I am curious, though, if you aren't keen on people who are effusive, why do you torture yourself reading a website that is, for the most part, gushing about a subject? And I may be incorrect about this...but aren't you the one (or part of those who did) who posted all the Mika videos on You Tube? If so, why are you now saying "let his promoters promote him?" I'm not saying this to be critical of you---I could be wrong, and please tell me if I am---but have you always felt that way?

"I have this friend from russia and this other friend from norway who introduced me this very nice girl from africa and all of them are very passionate, i had no clue that being passionate was an american trait, is it?

but i know so little, i actually thought you country was already into 4 D technicolor for so long leaving us old european nation into that old dusty sepia, we are the ones who need some colors really, i wish mika wasnt so careerist and that he would never be famous in America, he doesnt need that, he shouldnt give a **** about being validated there since anyway the best bands or singers in the world have zero recognition from the US of A. so its just a good sign. " quoted from Pat Travers.

I certainly didn't mean Americans had cornered the market on passion (actually might belong to the Italians, mmm? :wink2:). And I can see what you mean that America might seem 4D technicolor to the rest of the world. But for me, in terms of popular music, for the last 15 or 20 years it's been colorless.

But for me, in terms of popular music, for the last 15 or 20 years it's been colorless.

You're right about that. I thought I was just getting old and that's why I stopped getting excited about new music heading into the 90s. But it just wasn't exciting music for the most part.

I've listened to more new music in the past 2 years than I did for 15 year previously. I'm really tired of the same old schlock North Americans have been churning out for so long, especially since it was so medicore to start with.

No need to apologise. As I said in my post, this is your right, and I'm certainly not offended by it. I know well there people who are not over effusive...I'm married to one! I am curious, though, if you aren't keen on people who are effusive, why do you torture yourself reading a website that is, for the most part, gushing about a subject? And I may be incorrect about this...but aren't you the one (or part of those who did) who posted all the Mika videos on You Tube? If so, why are you now saying "let his promoters promote him?" I'm not saying this to be critical of you---I could be wrong, and please tell me if I am---but have you always felt that way?

Because I like Mika and his music, therefore this is the obvious place to be. But I don't want to faint over his every haircut or word. This forum is for everyone, not just gushers - got to have some balance!

About the vids, they weren't to promote Mika as such, it was just that on MFC whenever Mika was on tv, someone would ask if someone would record it for those not in the UK or unable to watch for whatever reason, so I thought, why not?

I have had my account terminated on youtube and now have all the vids on myspace, but I hope they will be really hard to find, except for people on the MFC, and that is who they are for really. The harder they are to find, they lesser the chance of being terminated again.

I haven't always felt this way entirely, but the more people fawn and gush over Mika the more I go the other way.

I haven't always felt this way entirely, but the more people fawn and gush over Mika the more I go the other way.

thats excactly how i feel and what i do...going the other way, it seems thats the only way i can go...sometimes i even hate myself because i wish i could be exctatic for mika s new coral blush or mika s little curls but i cant and i feel disturbed about it because I honestly feel that it makes me different in a bad way towards many other fans...anyway...nevermind

and BTW mgpm , i know its probably just a detail for you but I am PaM(stands for pamela which of course is my real name:naughty:) not PaT...

oh and i forgot...about the vids, you make perfect sense...i hope people realize that its the best way to love an artist and his fans, we should just all be grateful to you, you did it for us, the fans and you did it for free, its generosity and no one should question the fact that you are here.

Sorry Pam....I think Pat Travers sings "Boom Boom..Out go the lights!" :)

And Babs, I really appreciate the hard work you did getting all those tv appearances on vid for us!

My husband refuses to pick a "favorite" anything. He loves music, but would never give the title "the best" to anything. He's just not over enthusiastic about anything. What's really funny is our 7 year old son is the same way. He tells me, "Just be happy, Mama. Not crazy happy." LOL!

Sorry Pam....I think Pat Travers sings "Boom Boom..Out go the lights!" :)

And Babs, I really appreciate the hard work you did getting all those tv appearances on vid for us!

My husband refuses to pick a "favorite" anything. He loves music, but would never give the title "the best" to anything. He's just not over enthusiastic about anything. What's really funny is our 7 year old son is the same way. He tells me, "Just be happy, Mama. Not crazy happy." LOL!

They're all here, by the way....http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13931

I have this friend from russia and this other friend from norway who introduced me this very nice girl from africa and all of them are very passionate, i had no clue that being passionate was an american trait, is it?

but i know so little, i actually thought you country was already into 4 D technicolor for so long leaving us old european nation into that old dusty sepia, we are the ones who need some colors really, i wish mika wasnt so careerist and that he would never be famous in America, he doesnt need that, he shouldnt give a **** about being validated there since anyway the best bands or singers in the world have zero recognition from the US of A. so its just a good sign.

I don't actually think that Mika (himself) worries too much about American radio not playing his work, it's the fans who are upset. The ones who want to hear him. He does get played sometimes in Britain, but not as much as he should do. The radio stations here are a bit like America, in that, they play their favourites. If I hear that TAKE THAT song, 'Shine', one more time I shall screeeeeeeaaaaaam!!!

But the British media don't believe a popstar has "arrived" until they are big in America. This is rediculous of course. Mika is big all over the world. That should be enough, but it isn't! That is one reason I am involved with this campaign. The other is that America should have the opportunity to hear the awesome Mika! They are missing out on so much!! I really hope this campaign succeeds! Jaquelin is awesome for starting it!

• 1 month later...