tauruslady

That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. Skipping shows to record can be counter-productive to the performance of that record later.

I think it is very counter-productive! I mean, just look at the number of people who got interested in Alphabeat, or Sam even, just because they saw them perform as a support act. I discovered many bands thanks to festivals, or I started loving bands I didn't actually like on CD after seeing them perform live. And I don't think I'm the only one.

Now take V, you have the Foo Fighters - who don't really have much more to prove- who come and do a surprise gig under a false name on one of the small stages to please the audience... and Sam, who's not THAT famous yet, who decides he has better things to do and doesnt even show up although he's announced... Who's being a little diva ? :naughty:

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So did Mika in St.Gallen... One day before the gig and nobody really knew it

Really? I didn't know about this cancellation.

I'm sorry for you.

BTW I'd like to add that when you can send 2 myspace bulletins a day to ask people to vote for you, you could also send a bulletin saying you're not performing! Unless, of course, you have better things to do :mf_rosetinted:

Hear hear. You're on a roll. :naughty:

Yes :blush-anim-cl: Ranting is good sometimes, isn't it? :naughty:

Better for me (and for him) to let it all out now than on saturday during the gig, right? :roftl:

I just think I'll need a little while to get over this V-thing. It really did upset me, I'm not even sure why since I was not going for him only, but it's the way it's been done, and also the lack of explaination since then. But I don't have to tell you how it feels, do I? ;)

Yes :blush-anim-cl: Ranting is good sometimes, isn't it? :naughty:

Better for me (and for him) to let it all out now than on saturday during the gig, right? :roftl:

I just think I'll need a little while to get over this V-thing. It really did upset me, I'm not even sure why since I was not going for him only, but it's the way it's been done, and also the lack of explaination since then. But I don't have to tell you how it feels, do I? ;)

I sympathise. Let it all out. :thumb_yello:

Because people keep bringing this up, I will repeat it to saciety: MIKA NEVER CONFIRMED the Australian V Festival, so we don't actually know if it was in fact a cancellation.

I realise that it's easier to come to this conclusion based on past experiences, and probably a lot more satisfying as one can justify endless ranting about it, but can we please try and remember that this is not a cold, hard fact?

Ok, done.

Expect to see it again if it comes up again :wink2:.

Because people keep bringing this up, I will repeat it to saciety: MIKA NEVER CONFIRMED the Australian V Festival, so we don't actually know if it was in fact a cancellation.

I realise that it's easier to come to this conclusion based on past experiences, and probably a lot more satisfying as one can justify endless ranting about it, but can we please try and remember that this is not a cold, hard fact?

Ok, done.

Expect to see it again if it comes up again.

Mika never personally confirmed it but being a top billed act then pulling out is unprofessional and justifies ranting no matter how you try to look at it or try explain it away.

How do you define a cancelation anyway? An apology to people who had bought tickets was posted on the festival site explaining why he was pulling out. That sounds like a cancelation to me.

Ok, done.

Expect to see it again if it comes up again :wink2:.

I know where you're coming from but as we're discussing the problem of cancellations in general, I don't really see how pertinent it is to start a debate about the australian V, it's just an example among others. But well, if you consider it a bad example, why not mention how Mika cancelled Werchter in 2007... for a TV show. Can you see the parallel with Sam Sparro now? :wink2:

We're actually very very nice fans and we react ok when this kind of things happen. But not everybody takes it so well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIphBl3OGM

:roftl::roftl:

If you really need a translation, she says "Pete Doherty, if you can hear me, **** you, you're a ****, we've spent hundreds of euro and travelled six hours to see you, and you don't show up? ****** "

It was on the 8PM news btw... Just imagine this would be filmed about Sam Sparro or Meeks, do you really think it'd be good for their image? :naughty:

Mika never personally confirmed it but being a top billed act then pulling out is unprofessional and justifies ranting no matter how you try to look at it or try explain it away.

How do you define a cancelation anyway? An apology to people who had bought tickets was posted on the festival site explaining why he was pulling out. That sounds like a cancelation to me.

I'm not talking about Mika personally confirming it as in telling us face to face directly. I am talking about him posting the date on his calendar on myspace, or on his (old) mikasounds site. This is what a "confirmed" gig is.

As long as it has not been officially endorsed directly by his sites, as far as I am concerned, it's not on.

These festivals often do announce acts that are not fully booked yet, just to boost sales and attract more people to them. Then they "cancel" some of them, which were not even formally signed in the first place.

What I am saying and have been saying from the start is that, as we don't know how far those negotiations were, and if he actually did sign a contract for it (hence, confirm) and then pull out, we shouldn't treat it as such.

All we have is the "word" of the festival website. Not much, really,especially when they always include disclaimers saying that any individual act can be subject to cancellation and money will not be refunded, etc...

The "apology" that you mention was written by the festival people and not by Mika/Team Mika, as is expected due to them advertising an artist that would not be on in the end.

I've explained this before, but when someone asked Mika this winter if he would do a particular festival, he said "don't buy tickets yet. Only do it if I put it on my calendar".

Moral of the story: it's not official until it's official.

I know where you're coming from but as we're discussing the problem of cancellations in general, I don't really see how pertinent it is to start a debate about the australian V, it's just an example among others. But well, if you consider it a bad example, why not mention how Mika cancelled Werchter in 2007... for a TV show. Can you see the parallel with Sam Sparro now? :wink2:

We're actually very very nice fans and we react ok when this kind of things happen. But not everybody takes it so well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIphBl3OGM

:roftl::roftl:

If you really need a translation, she says "Pete Doherty, if you can hear me, **** you, you're a ****, we've spent hundreds of euro and travelled six hours to see you, and you don't show up? ****** "

It was on the 8PM news btw... Just imagine this would be filmed about Sam Sparro or Meeks, do you really think it'd be good for their image?

I didn't start a debate about the Australian V out of the blue- I responded to Twatty's post about Aus V, because it's a topic that keeps coming up, and I feel the need to set the facts straight.

The only fact here is that we don't have the certainty that he did cancel that festival, and that is what I keep repeating.

Of course I can totally sympathise with those who were affected by cancellations, like the ones you mentioned, and I would be a fool if I tried to deny that he actually DID cancel lots of gigs or festival appearances. I have never tried to contest that, obviously.

The only thing that I keep saying over and over is that Aus V was never official, so maybe it's best not to keep bringing it up. That's all.

Regarding what you said about Werchter etc: obviously, it's not right, that is just not the point of what I have been saying.

I'm not talking about Mika personally confirming it as in telling us face to face directly. I am talking about him posting the date on his calendar on myspace, or on his (old) mikasounds site. This is what a "confirmed" gig is.

As long as it has not been officially endorsed directly by his sites, as far as I am concerned, it's not on.

These festivals often do announce acts that are not fully booked yet, just to boost sales and attract more people to them. Then they "cancel" some of them, which were not even formally signed in the first place.

What I am saying and have been saying from the start is that, as we don't know how far those negotiations were, and if he actually did sign a contract for it (hence, confirm) and then pull out, we shouldn't treat it as such.

All we have is the "word" of the festival website. Not much, really,especially when they always include disclaimers saying that any individual act can be subject to cancellation and money will not be refunded, etc...

The "apology" that you mention was written by the festival people and not by Mika/Team Mika, as is expected due to them advertising an artist that would not be on in the end.

I've explained this before, but when someone asked Mika this winter if he would do a particular festival, he said "don't buy tickets yet. Only do it if I put it on my calendar".

Moral of the story: it's not official until it's official.

I didn't start a debate about the Australian V out of the blue- I responded to Twatty's post about Aus V, because it's a topic that keeps coming up, and I feel the need to set the facts straight.

The only fact here is that we don't have the certainty that he did cancel that festival, and that is what I keep repeating.

Of course I can totally sympathise with those who were affected by cancellations, like the ones you mentioned, and I would be a fool if I tried to deny that he actually DID cancel lots of gigs or festival appearances. I have never tried to contest that, obviously.

The only thing that I keep saying over and over is that Aus V was never official, so maybe it's best not to keep bringing it up. That's all.

Regarding what you said about Werchter etc: obviously, it's not right, that is just not the point of what I have been saying.

The only thing I want to add to this is that I remember looking on Duran Duran's myspace page when I saw it advertised that they were going to be at "V" and it was up on their page that they were gonna be there. It still wasn't up on Mika's and at that stage, not knowing a lot of the cancellation history, but certainly knowing a little bit about how slow Mika's myspace was to update sometimes, I just presumed that that was the issue. Now I know better. I'm glad you mentioned what Mika actually said about not buying tickets until it's confirmed on his site...

The only thing I want to add to this is that I remember looking on Duran Duran's myspace page when I saw it advertised that they were going to be at "V" and it was up on their page that they were gonna be there. It still wasn't up on Mika's and at that stage, not knowing a lot of the cancellation history, but certainly knowing a little bit about how slow Mika's myspace was to update sometimes, I just presumed that that was the issue. Now I know better. I'm glad you mentioned what Mika actually said about not buying tickets until it's confirmed on his site...

I can't remember the detail but it started when someone asked if he was doing Glasto, and then they asked him about Madrid in July I believe (it was a festival).

He specifically said that, as his name had already come out as one of the artists playing there, on the web, but he said that it was not 100% yet.

Which is why I keep going on about this :roftl:.

I know that some gigs were never confirmed on his site and he still did them, but in general if he's doing one, it's on his site.

Can we move back to Sam now? You're spoiling my rant! :mad3:

:bleh:

With pleasure!:wink2:

I have some questions:

Black and Gold, is there an official video?

This song has to be one of the most fanatstic songs I've heard, I listen to it time after time and I just can't get enough of it, so beautiful!:wub2:

Especially the drum parts!

Can we move back to Sam now? You're spoiling my rant! :mad3:

:bleh:

Rant now woman, cause you're not gonna be chewing my ear off on Saturday at the gig, as I will be on "Sam high" mode there and won't let you spoil my fun :bleh::roftl:

We SO need to get to the front :punk:. I wanna touch his shoes again :naughty: