Any Other World

This essay so resonates with Any Other World, sure many here will appreciate it:

This sordid American drama, the one I am calling a Dark Age, will in all likelihood not be completed until well into this century or the next, with a slew of increasingly nasty episodes along the way. Everyone here in the hotel lounge will say goodbye to this world long before America says the Big Goodbye.

Until then, we are left to play out the game day by day. That being the case, we should elect to play it out with the best among us, the ones on humanity's side, that hidden and unheralded aristocracy -- those quiet lamp lighters making their way through the deepening dusk of American civilization.

E. M. Forster described them as,

"Not an aristocracy of power, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes and through the ages, and they know each other when they meet. ... Authority, seeing their value, tries to net them and to utilize them. ... But they slip through the net and are gone; when the door is shut they are no longer in the room; Their temple is the Holiness of the Heart's Imagination, and their kingdom, though they never possess it, is the wide open world."

In this they are deathless.

Like periwinkles.

Joe Bageant, The Audacity of Depression

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This essay so resonates with Any Other World, sure many here will appreciate it:

This sordid American drama, the one I am calling a Dark Age, will in all likelihood not be completed until well into this century or the next, with a slew of increasingly nasty episodes along the way. Everyone here in the hotel lounge will say goodbye to this world long before America says the Big Goodbye.

Until then, we are left to play out the game day by day. That being the case, we should elect to play it out with the best among us, the ones on humanity's side, that hidden and unheralded aristocracy -- those quiet lamp lighters making their way through the deepening dusk of American civilization.

E. M. Forster described them as,

"Not an aristocracy of power, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes and through the ages, and they know each other when they meet. ... Authority, seeing their value, tries to net them and to utilize them. ... But they slip through the net and are gone; when the door is shut they are no longer in the room; Their temple is the Holiness of the Heart's Imagination, and their kingdom, though they never possess it, is the wide open world."

In this they are deathless.

Like periwinkles.

Joe Bageant, The Audacity of Depression

This is really amazing...yes,it really resonates with "Any Other World"...the sentences I 'bolded' are the ones which are absolutely magnificent.

• 1 year later...
Well, in a literally meaning "ruminants" would make sense.

Do you pronounce "remnants" "rem-a-nants"? Because I hear 3 syllables.

"ruminants" are animals which have two stomachs and chew the cud - like cows, sheep, bison, gnu and yaks.

"Remnants" has two syllables when spoken, but Mika does seem to separate the m and n so that you hear an extra one - that's what I've always assumed.

• 2 months later...
is this seriously any other words thread? why is it so short? :shocked:

cant believe only 10 posts are here :shocked:

AOW lyrics are the hardest to understand for me.....totally unable to translate it...hardest of all Mika Songs..!!!

seems like it has many hidden stories... hidden meanings..

Cannot even understand basic things... the singer keep saying 'Say goodbye to the world you thought to lived in'... but what's the 'world' that he want to say goodbye exactly??

plz help... :shocked:

cant believe only 10 posts are here :shocked:

AOW lyrics are the hardest to understand for me.....totally unable to translate it...hardest of all Mika Songs..!!!

seems like it has many hidden stories... hidden meanings..

Cannot even understand basic things... the singer keep saying 'Say goodbye to the world you thought to lived in'... but what's the 'world' that he want to say goodbye exactly??

plz help... :shocked:

I see it as letting go (or saying goodbye) of what you thought you had, what you thought was there. For example, people might have had happy lives, happy where they lived etc...and then a war started so they had to go. They had to say goodbye to the world they thought they lived in, because it changed or it wasn't what it seemed.

Make sense?

I see it as letting go (or saying goodbye) of what you thought you had, what you thought was there. For example, people might have had happy lives, happy where they lived etc...and then a war started so they had to go. They had to say goodbye to the world they thought they lived in, because it changed or it wasn't what it seemed.

Make sense?

well...why 'thought' they lived in? not really lived in there but imagined or considered to live in there?:hypo: owwwww

and can you plz tell me who is the speaker in that lyrics? Mika himself or other woman(the narrator at the end of the song) ..

and who is the bitter man? Mika himself or the woman's ex husband?

sounds like.........oww such a stupid I am....:mf_rosetinted:

well...why 'thought' they lived in? not really lived in there but imagined or considered to live in there?:hypo: owwwww

and can you plz tell me who is the speaker in that lyrics? Mika himself or other woman(the narrator at the end of the song) ..

and who is the bitter man? Mika himself or the woman's ex husband?

sounds like.........oww such a stupid I am....:mf_rosetinted:

Well they thought they lived in a nice place, I guess. (place can be environmentally, emotionally, mentally...) But things happened, and it all got tarnished. It was ruined.

The speaker is a woman called Raffa (Not entirely sure of the spelling) who is a Lebanese lady. Basically she was about to get married but her fiancé left her for another woman at the last minute, and then a month later in Lebanon a bomb hit her place and she lost one of her eyes.

"Cos it's all in the hands of a bitter, bitter man...say goodbye to the world you thought you lived in."

I saw the "man" as someone who was in charge of the war, the one who was ruining people's lives for his own selfish pleasure, or something.

Well they thought they lived in a nice place, I guess. (place can be environmentally, emotionally, mentally...) But things happened, and it all got tarnished. It was ruined.

The speaker is a woman called Raffa (Not entirely sure of the spelling) who is a Lebanese lady. Basically she was about to get married but her fiancé left her for another woman at the last minute, and then a month later in Lebanon a bomb hit her place and she lost one of her eyes.

"Cos it's all in the hands of a bitter, bitter man...say goodbye to the world you thought you lived in."

I saw the "man" as someone who was in charge of the war, the one who was ruining people's lives for his own selfish pleasure, or something.

Ohh I see :wub2:

so she moved to London (or paris? I don't know the story exactly :naughty:)

and the new place is the 'Any other world' then, trying to get all over bad memories ..?

so many questions :teehee: