English as a Second Language

I see, that a lot of people reads Harry Potter.

[And that's cool! ;D]

I think that in summer I gonna read 1st and 2nd book in english...

Because I read them in Lithuanian about... 9999 times :biggrin2:

:biggrin2:

I've found that reading the Harry Potter books was a very good way to study English, because they're written in a very clear way that makes them easy to understand.

My mom, who usually doesn't read English books, loved reading the Harry Potter books in English and had no trouble with them. ^^

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:biggrin2:

I've found that reading the Harry Potter books was a very good way to study English, because they're written in a very clear way that makes them easy to understand.

My mom, who usually doesn't read English books, loved reading the Harry Potter books in English and had no trouble with them. ^^

Really?

My mum loves reading HP in Lithuanian, so maybe she'll like it in english too?..

Really?

My mum loves reading HP in Lithuanian, so maybe she'll like it in english too?..

Maybe. ^^

It helped me a lot, because when you already know the story, it's easier to understand it in another language. :original:

Oh, I love HP!

He's me hero... :roftl:

[Only joking ;) ]

I started to read those books when I was 6...

Well, my mum read it to me, when I was 6 ['cause I didn't know how to read... :blush-anim-cl: ]

I read the first book when I was 10, it had just come out in Holland back then and I'd never heard of it yet, but I was addicted right away. :biggrin2:

I read the first book when I was 10, it had just come out in Holland back then and I'd never heard of it yet, but I was addicted right away. :biggrin2:

Wait a minute...

[NON-NON-TOPIC question]

How old are you?

'Cause HP is really old book [for me] ... ;D

Wait a minute...

[NON-NON-TOPIC question]

How old are you?

'Cause HP is really old book [for me] ... ;D

I'm 19. :biggrin2:

But the book had already been out for a few years in England. But it's not that old. Neither am I. :bleh:

How old are you?

Almost 13... :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, I'm really young... :emot-sad:

That's not that young. When your mom read you the HP books, they probably hadn't been out for too long either.

By the way, your English is really good for your age! :thumb_yello:

Hi everyone ! I am 20 and I began to learn English when I was 11 in school. I am french and I suppose it's not always the case in french schools but I found it very difficult to learn good english at school.

I mean , when I was in college, people who loved learning foreign languages were always picked on. People used to say to them that It wasn't necessary to know how to speak an ather language fluently to succeed their life:thumbdown:. I always thought it was stupid and I carried on taking seriously the courses.

When went to Dublin last year, my English was so bad!. I mean , I couldn't make a proper sentence and my vocabulary was very poor. When I was in College , mostly all the students of my class didn't care at all about English or learning a foreign language. They were all pissed off when the teacher asked them something or if they should write down an essay.

I think English is very important nowadays and we need to take in consideration how to interest more young people about it .

Last year I went to Dublin for some months and I got such an amazing time there.Thanks to this travel , I improve a lot my English speaking.I met a german girl there and we use to call each others every month to get some news ...in English of course!! The culture, the people ..I am totally in love with English language and can't get enough of vocabulary ...:mf_lustslow:

I am always reading the threads here and the good thing is that you use good english . That's so great ! Each time I read a thread I learn a new word (I laughed so hard when I checked on my dictionnary the word " booger" !!( from the " don't zoom in on my booger " interview lmao) ) and work out English.

That's such a great school here ..and people are so nice ...say warn use when we make mistakes and etc ...

Have a lovely evening everyone. :wink2: xxx

Romis: I know :roftl: How can they all have such similar flags.... :blink:

Yess, I think so. :) Doesn't matter though, I still kinda feel that Slovakia is not "a foreign country" ... :-)

By the way, at the afterparty in London, when Mika asked where is everyone from, Rebeka shouted "Slovakia!!" and Mika was like "Slovakia? :blink: Errm... okay o.O" ... :naughty:

haha yeah...wait... you mean it's NOT? :mf_rosetinted:

oh you just diggin' a hole... stop messing with ppl heads :bleh:

yeah...true...for me it was the easiest language to learn.. :thumb_yello:

:naughty: Yeah, it isn't..... interesting news, isn't it :naughty:

:fisch: ...

What other languages do you know? :shocked:

I'm from Norway, and here it's not optional to choose not to learn a second language. I myself started learning English at school when I was nine, and continued with it until I graduated high school ten years after. Now they start when they are five-six years old. The last two years of high school you can choose not to have English classes, or at least when I went there it was like that. It's been five years since I graduated and there apparently are many more new rules now that I don't know anything about.

In junior high, we had to choose an elective subject, which most often would be a third language, like German or French, now Spanish even. And then you had to have that language at high school also, depending on what "line" you belonged to. (I call it that since I don't know which other word to use, we have different "lines" at high school; music, sports, art, economics, media, health care, chef and waitress, general theoretic subjects, and probably more...)

My English teachers have always praised me for my good English, my spoken English is better than my written English though... and I think that is because Norway is a country that don't dub TV and movies that are in other languages. We learn quickly to read subtitles, so the English languages especially, is around us all the time, and I think many Norwegians are quite skilled in the language.

My French on the other hand, sucks :naughty: I guess I never really took the time to learn it properly, so since I haven't used it in over six years, it doesn't really make any sense to me anymore. And then we don't get that much French culture in our living room as we do with the English.

But I was under the impression that most countries learn English at school, so I'm not really that surprised when other countries speak English. When people in other countries speak Norwegian on the other hand, then I get really shocked. :roftl:

Anabelle, the novel is called "Veronika decides to die", and the author is Paulo Coelho. I recommend you The Alchemist as well, both are good books :)[/font][/size][/color]

PS: I've searched the Monaco flag...oh Barunka you're mean

If I'm not wrong, Rebeka lives in Slovakia. Perhaps I made a mistake and thought it was you :)

EXCELLENT!book.... seriously...great one...

yes...she is pure evil ...I mean Barunka :D

Romis: I know How can they all have such similar flags.... :blink:

I dunno... did U saw Russian and French flag? :P

Yeah, it isn't..... interesting news, isn't it

What other languages do you know? :shocked:

Very interesting...so I think this summer I go to Slovakia to check it out :bleh:

I've said it in my post in this thread... you are lausy stalker :P and it's not like you don't know other languages as well ;)....

yes...she is pure evil ...I mean Barunka :-D

I dunno... did U saw Russian and French flag? :P

Very interesting...so I think this summer I go to Slovakia to check it out

I've said it in my post in this thread... you are lausy stalker :P and it's not like you don't know other languages as well ;-)....

And you're saying this after I found that spanish version of that song for you :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

And have you seen the flag of Russia, Netherlands and Serbia? :naughty:

o.o Gotta read that XD

I know another one... plus a little of another one. slovak doesn't count :naughty: