Freddies English Teaching Course

I like your accent too! I think I told you at SW how cool I think it is. It's better than mine, anyway lol :naughty:

I like both your accents :blush-anim-cl: In fact I love it when MFCers get together... so many different accents... it is amazing! :thumb_yello:

I like both your accents :blush-anim-cl: In fact I love it when MFCers get together... so many different accents... it is amazing! :thumb_yello:

yeah when everyone comes together it's pretty amazing...I remember at SW I was talking to dcdeb and thinking "wow, I'm talking to an American woman." LOL :roftl: It's crazy that people from all over the globe come over because of ONE guy and we all share the same common interest...

yeah when everyone comes together it's pretty amazing...I remember at SW I was talking to dcdeb and thinking "wow, I'm talking to an American woman." LOL :roftl: It's crazy that people from all over the globe come over because of ONE guy and we all share the same common interest...

I agree, it's amazing:wub2:

I have a question to one phrase in "By the time":

By the time I'm dreaming

and you've crept out on me sleeping

What does "crept out" mean? All translations I found doesn't make sense :no:

It just means to leave quietly. To creep means to move quietly when you don't want to make any noise, so in this line it means that the person left the room/house while he was asleep, without waking him.

(Whoa, I haven't been in this thread for ages!)

• 2 weeks later...

@neeve Thanks for your answer :thumb_yello: Now the whole song makes sense for me smile.gif

I have some more questions to parts of Mikas lyrics. Mostly parts, which "feel" like phrases or where the translation in the dictionary didn't makes sense to me so I thought maybe there is another meaning. Sorry, it's very much.

1) at an open door (I was a boy at an open door. Why are you staring? Do you still think that you know? from "We are golden")

Does it mean that everybody could see what he is doing? (Like the opposite of living hiding or invisible for others?) Or more like living at a house, were people would come and go all the time?

And is there a wordplay? Because I've read this in an review: "With a chorus we’ve heard several times before, and grindingly chirpy lyrical wordplay, ‘I was a boy - at an open door - why you staring - do you still think that you know?’" I don't get the wordplay. Can somebody explain?

--

2) tripping over (And I'm dreaming I'm tripping over you from "I see you")

In the dictionary it says that it means "stumbling" which would be a "negative" meaning. But the speaker says that he is dreaming of tripping over the other person. And you dream of "positive" things usually confused.gif

--

3) Think you're a woman (Think you're a woman I think you should from "Blue eyes")

May there is a hidden meaning? Cause this line doesn't make sense to me. Why should the speaker think that she is a women? I mean, she is a woman? (Well, if the speaker is a woman. From only the lyrics it's "gender neutral", it could also be a man. But Mika tells about a women in one video where he explains "Blue eyes")

--

4) Let it go (Well you're looking tough but you need a way to let it go from "Touches you")

--

5) What's the matter with + gerund (…ing) (What's the matter with going places from "One foot boy")

If "What's the matter?" is used with an substantive it means "What's wrong", I think. (Like in "What's the matter with you?"). But if I use "What's the matter" in combination with a verb, does it "change" the meaning? I couln't find the combination in the dictionary, but I googled for examples and from the context it seems like it means "What is the difficulty/concern?" (What's the matter with going home at 2:30? What's the matter with going to church on your own?) Is this right or am I wrong?

--

6) Literal meaning of drown (All these places only drown me from "One foot boy")

Does it have a positive or a negative meaning?

--

7) To bear a cruel cross (Its a cruel cross that I have to bear from "Toy Boy")

You have some good questions there DerMoment and I really hope one of the native English speakers would come in and help you!:thumb_yello:

Some of them I have been wondering about too.

All I can say is that there always seems to be hard to understand Mika's lyrics!:wink2:

I have some more questions to parts of Mikas lyrics. Mostly parts, which "feel" like phrases or where the translation in the dictionary didn't makes sense to me so I thought maybe there is another meaning. Sorry, it's very much.

1) at an open door (I was a boy at an open door. Why are you staring? Do you still think that you know? from "We are golden")

Does it mean that everybody could see what he is doing? (Like the opposite of living hiding or invisible for others?) Or more like living at a house, were people would come and go all the time?

And is there a wordplay? Because I've read this in an review: "With a chorus we’ve heard several times before, and grindingly chirpy lyrical wordplay, ‘I was a boy - at an open door - why you staring - do you still think that you know?’" I don't get the wordplay. Can somebody explain?

Well since Mika wrote the lyrics, we can't know for sure what he meant, but I interpret it as he's wondering what to do and if he should stay or go. "Open door" just works as the divider between him and the world.

2) tripping over (And I'm dreaming I'm tripping over you from "I see you")

In the dictionary it says that it means "stumbling" which would be a "negative" meaning. But the speaker says that he is dreaming of tripping over the other person. And you dream of "positive" things usually confused.gif

Well he's upset because this person will never love him back, so therefore that would require a negative meaning. He's not bouncing on clouds in love or anything, he's in love with the person whom he hardly knows and he wants to tell them but he's too afraid so he just stares at them. It's depressing.

3) Think you're a woman (Think you're a woman I think you should from "Blue eyes")

May there is a hidden meaning? Cause this line doesn't make sense to me. Why should the speaker think that she is a women? I mean, she is a woman? (Well, if the speaker is a woman. From only the lyrics it's "gender neutral", it could also be a man. But Mika tells about a women in one video where he explains "Blue eyes")

Yeah, I have no idea ab out this one :naughty:

4) Let it go (Well you're looking tough but you need a way to let it go from "Touches you")

That can either mean to "forget about it" or to "express how you're feeling"

5) What's the matter with + gerund (…ing) (What's the matter with going places from "One foot boy")

If "What's the matter?" is used with an substantive it means "What's wrong", I think. (Like in "What's the matter with you?"). But if I use "What's the matter" in combination with a verb, does it "change" the meaning? I couln't find the combination in the dictionary, but I googled for examples and from the context it seems like it means "What is the difficulty/concern?" (What's the matter with going home at 2:30? What's the matter with going to church on your own?) Is this right or am I wrong?

No idea....

6) Literal meaning of drown (All these places only drown me from "One foot boy")

Does it have a positive or a negative meaning?

"Drown" usually has a negative connotation :wink2:

7) To bear a cruel cross (Its a cruel cross that I have to bear from "Toy Boy")

I remember someone saying that that's a famous saying. I guess it just means that he has a hard life.

Hope that helped :dunno::naughty:

I remember someone saying that that's a famous saying. I guess it just means that he has a hard life.

yeah..."a cross to bear" - we have same expression in my language...like burden, something unpleasant in your life with what you have to live...i think it might have origin in some New Testament story...did Jesus had to bear cross on way to Golgotha for his own crucifixion?

I'm not sure. (what was I thinking about on my religion classes God knows!:naughty:)

Originally Posted by Fmbm

Well since Mika wrote the lyrics, we can't know for sure what he meant

:naughty: that's the key