Freddies English Teaching Course

Thanks for your answer!! :thumb_yello::biggrin2:

I've never heard of being green behind your ears (learned something new today :biggrin2:) But you can also say 'being wet behind your ears' (nog nat achter je oren zijn) It means being inexperienced indeed, mostly associated with young age.

Lol, we have "dry behing the ears" (droog achter de oren), which also means inexperienced. :roftl:

I have often run into 2 expressions but I've never really knew what they meant:

to be pigeon-holed

and

having your heart on your sleeve

:huh:

Pigeonholes refers to the racks that post is put into - like a grid, with a separate compartment for each person (and they themselves were named after an arrangement in a pigeon loft, where each bird can be kept separate from the others). So to pigeonhole a person is to put them into a category or to stereotype them.

Having or wearing your heart on your sleeve means to display your feelings towards someone openly, for everyone to see. :blush-anim-cl:

I have often run into 2 expressions but I've never really knew what they meant:

to be pigeon-holed

and

having your heart on your sleeve

:huh:

At my school, I remember my teacher's saying that if they had post, it was put in their "pigeon hole". It's where something specifically goes...it's very similar with social labels, i.e. "gay", "goth", "rich", "race" etc.

Wearing your heart on your sleeve basically means you're showing your emotion for everyone to see.

At my school, I remember my teacher's saying that if they had post, it was put in their "pigeon hole". It's where something specifically goes...it's very similar with social labels, i.e. "gay", "goth", "rich", "race" etc.

Wearing your heart on your sleeve basically means you're showing your emotion for everyone to see.

Pigeonholes refers to the racks that post is put into - like a grid, with a separate compartment for each person (and they themselves were named after an arrangement in a pigeon loft, where each bird can be kept separate from the others). So to pigeonhole a person is to put them into a category or to stereotype them.

Having or wearing your heart on your sleeve means to display your feelings towards someone openly, for everyone to see. :blush-anim-cl:

ahaaaaa I got it now! :biggrin2:

Thanks, girls! :huglove:

That's new to me, it's not an expression. But campy is camp. Torchy? Holding a torch? So that song falls into the area or genre of ... no idea!

Aw :wub2: and every time I read words crazily put together like this I get the feeling that it is an English expression that everybody but me know all about!:crybaby:

Nah... not really!:biggrin2:

Although I love creativity even in languages I prefer the ones in my own language then I'll at least know if it is new creation or not!:naughty:

Although I love creativity even in languages I prefer the ones in my own language then I'll at least know if it is new creation or not!:naughty:

I've sometimes got trouble with that even in my own language. :teehee:

I think it's referring to torch songs, or torch singers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torch_song

Oh thank you, now I understand!:thumb_yello:

I've actually heard the expression "to carry a torch for someone" before!

So, a gay love-song. Yes, OK.

I hated it when the Sun used the description "camp warbler" for him.

Not necessary gay, but unanswered love.:wink2:

Is it:

Normally, I would come by myself, but...

or

Normally, I would have come by myself, but... ?

About an event in the future (and I'm not coming by myself :wink2:)

Hmm

I would say that "would have come" is past tense.

if you are saying that you are going to a future event, with someone else, I think it should be:

Normally I would come by myself (but this time I am coming with/bringing X)

Hmm

I would say that "would have come" is past tense.

if you are saying that you are going to a future event, with someone else, I think it should be:

Normally I would come by myself (but this time I am coming with/bringing X)

Ok, thanks!

another question:

in an official letter, you should start with Dear Mr./Mrs. name

but what should you write when you don't know the name or title of the person you're writing to?

'Hi' is too informal, isn't it?

another question:

in an official letter, you should start with Dear Mr./Mrs. name

but what should you write when you don't know the name or title of the person you're writing to?

'Hi' is too informal, isn't it?

Hi might be OK in an email, but definitely not in a letter.

The formal wording would be "Dear Sir or Madam".

(But don't do what I did once and type "Dear Sir or Madman") :lmfao:

Hi might be OK in an email, but definitely not in a letter.

The formal wording would be "Dear Sir or Madam".

(But don't do what I did once and type "Dear Sir or Madman") :lmfao:

:lmfao:

thank you very much!

I think the campy most definitely means gay (that's in the mind of the author) the unanswered love part is from carrying a torch.

Ah, okay!

I translated the Wikipedia site to Swedish maybe that made it a little confusing!:blush-anim-cl:

Thanks.

Just a question, when you read camp or campy is it always refering to gay?

Ah, okay!

I translated the Wikipedia site to Swedish maybe that made it a little confusing!:blush-anim-cl:

Thanks.

Just a question, when you read camp or campy is it always refering to gay?

"Camp" is usually taken to mean exaggerated gayness - Elton John and Graham Norton are camp (imo).

If a straight male tries to impersonate someone gay, they always act out a camp stereotype.

"Camp" is usually taken to mean exaggerated gayness - Elton John and Graham Norton are camp (imo).

If a straight male tries to impersonate someone gay, they always act out a camp stereotype.

Thank you!

Things like this is always hard to understand fully, it's all about the value of the words, now it's defenitely clearer!:thumb_yello: