Freddies English Teaching Course

A chav, stereotypically in the UK, is someone who wears tracksuit (usually pink for girls), greasy/pulled back/bleached blonde/bad hair extensions (again, girls), smokes, lots of big, gold jewellery, speaks like a commoner with very little understanding of how the English language works, likes to get drunk, sometimes have children at a young age, wear Burberry...

honestly, it continues. Here's a TV character from Little Britain called "Vicky Pollard"

http://chavspeak.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/chav-pregnant-lovely.jpg

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/6533361867/6533211551/PROFILE/i.idlestudios.com/img/q/u/08/04/05/chav2.jpg

I have tried to wrap my head around this word so many times, it just doesn't make sense to me. :blink:

Like, is it a gangster? trailer trash? redneck? I don't understand, especially with burberry coming into the equation... a $400 cashmere scarf doesn't work with trailer trash...:blink:

I have tried to wrap my head around this word so many times, it just doesn't make sense to me. :blink:

Like, is it a gangster? trailer trash? redneck? I don't understand, especially with burberry coming into the equation... a $400 cashmere scarf doesn't work with trailer trash...:blink:

I think trailer trash would be the closest. I know in Ireland anyway, the "burberry" they wear is always fake, if that helps :naughty:

It's just like a douchebag, and they revel in their doucheyness.

Excuse me... but what is "lurve"?

It's a made-up word, an exaggerated way of saying "love" (not to be confused with real love). You would use it to say you liked someone's clothes, for example "I lurve your dress".

You might say "I really lurve Mika" but it's love in a fangurl :fangurl: sort of way

It's a made-up word, an exaggerated way of saying "love" (not to be confused with real love). You would use it to say you liked someone's clothes, for example "I lurve your dress".

You might say "I really lurve Mika" but it's love in a fangurl :fangurl: sort of way

At last I understand :mf_rosetinted:

Thank you! :blush-anim-cl:

What does "an axe to grind" mean? I thought it means that you are angry with someone and you communicate your anger to them.

But today I read this article in the Spot on magazin (which is a magazin for learning English here in Germany) and they gave some translations for phrases/words in Mikas lyrics. And the translated "axe to grind" with "cause for complaint". Is this right? :boxed:

What does "an axe to grind" mean? I thought it means that you are angry with someone and you communicate your anger to them.

But today I read this article in the Spot on magazin (which is a magazin for learning English here in Germany) and they gave some translations for phrases/words in Mikas lyrics. And the translated "axe to grind" with "cause for complaint". Is this right? :boxed:

Axe to grind is a grudge against someone .... , not so much cause to complain it means ..

Say you post something nasty about me , I could then have an "Axe to grind" with you .... meaning I have a grudge towards you

Axe to grind is a grudge against someone .... , not so much cause to complain it means ..

Say you post something nasty about me , I could then have an "Axe to grind" with you .... meaning I have a grudge towards you

Freddie is right, but the magazine's definition isn't wrong though either. In the situation Freddie offered, "cause for complaint" would work too.

But all in all, Freddie's definition is easier to understand, and fits better.

Freddie is right, but the magazine's definition isn't wrong though either. In the situation Freddie offered, "cause for complaint" would work too.

But all in all, Freddie's definition is easier to understand, and fits better.

yes .. your right :thumb_yello: .. grudge , complaint

Say if I go to a supermarket for cheese and they give me bread , and I go back and same thing happens .. I could use the phrase "axe to grind"

It would be interesting to hear from you other not-native-English-speaking members what you think are the hardest things with the English when you are posting and reading on the MFC and when you meet people in real life and have to speak English.

To me, in here I always feel insecure about the value of words, when you know what a words means in translation but don't really know how it's used to get the right significance of a sentence. You don't want it to sound old fashioned or too solemn or too simple, it's really tricky.

Spelling...there are so many letters in the English language that are not pronounced.

I'm always worried that people are making jokes that I don't get, and it happens all the time and I feel so stupid when I have to ask!:blush-anim-cl:

When I meet people in real life it's hard when they talk fast, and many of them do, but the good thing is that you can see their faces and it makes it so much easier of course.:wink2:

It would be interesting to hear from you other not-native-English-speaking members what you think are the hardest things with the English when you are posting and reading on the MFC and when you meet people in real life and have to speak English.

To me, in here I always feel insecure about the value of words, when you know what a words means in translation but don't really know how it's used to get the right significance of a sentence. You don't want it to sound old fashioned or too solemn or too simple, it's really tricky.

Spelling...there are so many letters in the English language that are not pronounced.

I'm always worried that people are making jokes that I don't get, and it happens all the time and I feel so stupid when I have to ask!:blush-anim-cl:

When I meet people in real life it's hard when they talk fast, and many of them do, but the good thing is that you can see their faces and it makes it so much easier of course.:wink2:

It does work the other way too, Sienna - to me people speaking French or Italian or Spanish always go way too fast for me to understand :blink:

And there are plenty of English people who can't spell and have no idea of grammar and have a very limited vocabulary. Most non-native English speakers are far better at English than they think :huglove:

In the end, if we understand each other, what does it matter how good the English is?

*Note to self: speak more slowly next time you see Sienna*

Aww Sienna! :huglove: Don't worry, if anyone here made fun of your english, I'd personally see to it that they regretted it. :shun:

And I wouldn't worry about using outdated words or anything, I say them for fun all the time, and you can always ask if you're curious. :cheerful_h4h:

It does work the other way too, Sienna - to me people speaking French or Italian or Spanish always go way too fast for me to understand :blink:

And there are plenty of English people who can't spell and have no idea of grammar and have a very limited vocabulary. Most non-native English speakers are far better at English than they think :huglove:

In the end, if we understand each other, what does it matter how good the English is?

*Note to self: speak more slowly next time you see Sienna*

So very true!:wub2:

Aww Sienna! :huglove: Don't worry, if anyone here made fun of your english, I'd personally see to it that they regretted it. :shun:

And I wouldn't worry about using outdated words or anything, I say them for fun all the time, and you can always ask if you're curious. :cheerful_h4h:

I love how people in here are always very helpful!:wub2:

I find it quite amazing you said all that, because this is probably THE most fluent post you've ever made. Seriously.