Freddies English Teaching Course

sienna .. you should not feel that way .. really :thumb_yello:

We want a global community , full of people , all different languages .. the odd mistake is not an issue at all!

:biggrin2:

Aw, thank you for saying that!:wub2:

Yes I know that no one is judging me, it's all within myself. I am a big language nerd in my own language and the more I get in to the English the more I rise the demand on myself!:wink2:

Every time I see that you or another of the mods are asking a newbie to not use a lot of abbreviations I want you to know that I'm very grateful and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has trouble to understand them!:teehee:

But the funny thing is that they in some way are creeping in to your unconscious mind. I took a test in a newspaper: "Do you know your computer language?" and I got them all correct!:biggrin2:

Hello, I have a question :bye:

So, I have this hw for tomorrow's class and I need to find a visual metaphor in advertising :boxed: I cant find any so I thought that I'll just find a pic and a proper metaphor.. :naughty:

I found an excellent picture showing that smoking is bad and it leads to death. And a metaphor- As he lit his cigarette, he thought

Ah, another nail in my coffin.

But I need to write it in another way.. Like- By litting a cigarettte, you hammer in a nail into your coffin???I know it's not grammatical correct.. :huh: And is it an actual metaphor? :blink:

Hello, I have a question :bye:

So, I have this hw for tomorrow's class and I need to find a visual metaphor in advertising :boxed: I cant find any so I thought that I'll just find a pic and a proper metaphor.. :naughty:

I found an excellent picture showing that smoking is bad and it leads to death. And a metaphor- As he lit his cigarette, he thought

Ah, another nail in my coffin.

But I need to write it in another way.. Like- By litting a cigarettte, you hammer in a nail into your coffin???I know it's not grammatical correct.. :huh: And is it an actual metaphor? :blink:

You hammer a nail into your coffin. :wink2:

About metaphors.. I don't know so much about that. I did have it in Dutch class, but I forgot all about it. And I wouldn't know it in English anyway. Sorry. :dunno:

You hammer a nail into your coffin. :wink2:

About metaphors.. I don't know so much about that. I did have it in Dutch class, but I forgot all about it. And I wouldn't know it in English anyway. Sorry. :dunno:

Oh, I got it! :biggrin2: Thank you!!

I hope it's a metaphor, though :teehee:

I have three questions:

Firstly, what does the phrase "to be stupid over somebody" mean?

And the second is something between language and lyrics question: In "Ring Ring" Mika sings "I was sitting on the fence". Is he using the sentence as the phrase (not to take sides in a dispute; not to make a clear choice between two possibilities) or does he mean it literally?

And last: Is "play me like a kid with a crown" a special phrase in English?

I have three questions:

And the second is something between language and lyrics question: In "Ring Ring" Mika sings "I was sitting on the fence". Is he using the sentence as the phrase (not to take sides in a dispute; not to make a clear choice between two possibilities) or does he mean it literally?

I don't know what the "kid with a crown" phrase is supposed to mean. It's always been a mystery to me like "no need to fantasize since I was in my braces." Maybe someone else has some ideas.

To be stupid over someone means you think or act stupidly because of the way you feel about them. Not rational, basically.

If the sitting on the fence scene is read literally it sounds kind of sweet and positive. I wanted to kiss you, I almost lost my balance, you caught me, etc.

But given that the song is about someone who is obsessive and harassing, I'd say the fence scene is figurative. I wasn't sure if I was interested, I thought I'd give it a go by kissing you, you never gave me a chance to fall for you, you pushed me into this situation without giving me a choice (my back against the wall).

This is more song interpretation than English though, so you may want to get other opinions in the music section. :wink2:

I have three questions:

Hmmm I'm with Christine on this on ... "play me like a kid with a crown"

"Play me" .. I would say means to use , or play with someone's emotions , to use or abuse even

The "with a crown" part makes no sense:blink:

I don't know what the "kid with a crown" phrase is supposed to mean. It's always been a mystery to me like "no need to fantasize since I was in my braces." Maybe someone else has some ideas.

So it's a Mikaish phrase and no English one :roftl: And again more interpretation.

Everytime when I hope, that my understanding-problems are only language-problems, my hopes are destroyed :sneaky2:

To be stupid over someone means you think or act stupidly because of the way you feel about them. Not rational, basically.

If the sitting on the fence scene is read literally it sounds kind of sweet and positive. I wanted to kiss you, I almost lost my balance, you caught me, etc.

But given that the song is about someone who is obsessive and harassing, I'd say the fence scene is figurative. I wasn't sure if I was interested, I thought I'd give it a go by kissing you, you never gave me a chance to fall for you, you pushed me into this situation without giving me a choice (my back against the wall).

So it's also interpretation. I thought, maybe it's a situation, where it's clear for a mother language speaker, that it can only be meant figurative or only literally.

This is more song interpretation than English though, so you may want to get other opinions in the music section. :wink2:

I heard "sitting on the fence" meant you were unsure what to do and/or which side to choose, hence sitting on the fence because you're in between.

Hmmm I'm with Christine on this on ... "play me like a kid with a crown"

"Play me" .. I would say means to use , or play with someone's emotions , to use or abuse even

Is it crown or crayon?

"You play me like a kid with a crown/crayon" Erm...I don't know...I see it as someone throwing a childish hissy fit and trying to gain control...

When I was kid I was a right little madam and a bossy boots...adults actually used to be genuinely afraid of me (one guy was afraid to stay alone in the house with me and someone else was scared to refuse playtime with me...:aah:) so that's how I kinda see it. Crown as in someone thought they were high and mighty and crayon...trying to create their own fantasy against someone else's will?

Is it crown or crayon?

"You play me like a kid with a crown/crayon" Erm...I don't know...I see it as someone throwing a childish hissy fit and trying to gain control...

When I was kid I was a right little madam and a bossy boots...adults actually used to be genuinely afraid of me (one guy was afraid to stay alone in the house with me and someone else was scared to refuse playtime with me...:aah:) so that's how I kinda see it. Crown as in someone thought they were high and mighty

The crayon idea is new to me - but Mika wore a crown at the Vodafone tba gig, so I think it really is crown.

And so, the idea of a kid with too much power is a good image. No idea if it's intended in the song ....

Edited by Ruth

The crayon idea is new to me - but Mika wore a crown at the Vodafone tba gig, so I think it really is crown.

And so, the idea of a kid with too much power is a good image. No idea if it's intended in the song ....

when it comes to Mika, who knows anything? :naughty:

Vodafone tba gig? I'ma YouTube...

EDIT: No YouTube vid of it...

Absolutely, Mikaish. Although maybe 'you' had too much power and used it wrongly over 'me' - like a kid with a crown.

And very :offtopic: for here.

No YT vids? I remember it because I was there :)

My avi is from that day.

Edited by Ruth

I really think "crown" is one of those ideas that only makes sense in Mika's head. :naughty:

Probably :naughty: We'll have to ask him. And about the braces thing in Big Girl lol

Absolutely, Mikaish.

And very :offtopic: for here.

No YT vids? I remember it because I was there :)

My avi is from that day.

there are YouTube vids, just not of Ring Ring...

grammah.jpg

always good to remember :teehee:

I doesn't matter how much or how often you repeat it, people will always mix it up!:aah:

Sadly enough I know how Ross feels in that moment!:boxed:

:teehee::naughty:

I have a question:

I tweeted Breakfast a pic of my puppy and he replied: "I don't swing in that way! :)"

Did he mean that he's not very fond of dogs? Or is there a different meaning? :huh:

I have a question:

I tweeted Breakfast a pic of my puppy and he replied: "I don't swing in that way! :)"

Did he mean that he's not very fond of dogs? Or is there a different meaning? :huh:

Yes, he means, don't go with dogs, 'swing' the other way and go for cats :naughty:

Yes, he means, don't go with dogs, 'swing' the other way and go for cats :naughty:

Awww poor Breakfast. :lol3:

He's just 6w old tho. :aah: I finally found something to keep me off MFC. :lmfao:

Thank you!! :huglove:

I have a question:

Not that sexually orientated , that's its generally meaning

If you asked me .. you fancy Mika? I would say "I dont swing that way" ..example

:wink2: