2008 - New artwork previewed.

RAK1

The new stuff, i'm assuming, relates to his new album. They are still cartoons and playful, but they have a really dark side to them. It seems they aren't happy. Mika said they album will be darker, and these designs are darker for sure. If the last one was coming of age, perhaps this is a reaction to the "real" world. They look unhappy, but they're masked by an image that's supposed to be seen as happy.

-The dice are something to wonder about, i'm not sure what to make of those yet.

-Apples, serpent, adam & eve thing?? The apple by the snake is the bitten one.

-Clowns

-Homeless person? ragged clothes....looks unhappy, which reminds me of happy ending.

-Torn flag up top

-Skull, but not grey skelly at all

-Is the wole thing on a scaffolding?

-Horns like in the royal sympathy band...

-He was talking about big shoes in the video, and the guy is holding a huge shoe- he's got huge shoes to fill....?? the guy holding the shoe is struggling.

-Umbrella, raindrops, bird, red ball, the colored circles are darker.. everything is just a little off.

Intriguing =]

Picture3_2-1.png

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how the colours are a little muted, and not quite as bright as before, it's got a kind of autumnal feel to it.

Yeah I agree.

I like the feel so far. The clowns and colours give it a little darker feel.

I think he's going for the more circus feel like he always talks about. :naughty:

The new stuff, i'm assuming, relates to his new album. They are still cartoons and playful, but they have a really dark side to them. It seems they aren't happy. Mika said they album will be darker, and these designs are darker for sure. If the last one was coming of age, perhaps this is a reaction to the "real" world. They look unhappy, but they're masked by an image that's supposed to be seen as happy.

-The dice are something to wonder about, i'm not sure what to make of those yet.

-Apples, serpent, adam & eve thing?? The apple by the snake is the bitten one.

-Clowns

-Homeless person? ragged clothes....looks unhappy, which reminds me of happy ending.

-Torn flag up top

-Skull, but not grey skelly at all

-Is the wole thing on a scaffolding?

-Horns like in the royal sympathy band...

-He was talking about big shoes in the video, and the guy is holding a huge shoe- he's got huge shoes to fill....?? the guy holding the shoe is struggling.

-Umbrella, raindrops, bird, red ball, the colored circles are darker.. everything is just a little off.

Intriguing =]

Picture3_2-1.png

Yeah, you bring up really interesting points. And I feel like this is a mystery for us to solve. A preview of what's to come? Mika said it would be darker, and now I'm so curious as to what the new songs will be about! What new characters will we meet, and how will these new creations affect the stage shows? I feel like Mika has a reason for everything...and he thinks so much about the image and the art that I'm sure there's a lot of symbolism we don't think about.

Besides what you said, I had a few other ideas and things I was thinking about...

-At the end of the video, the screen disappers, and we're left with a picture of the Lollipop Girl sitting on a couch kind of hidden in shadow. Could this mean his old characters are still going to be a part of his world, but they're now lounging around in the background and letting the new characters take center stage? I also see the classic multi-colored circles are still there. Symbols from the first album, but less noticable than the new images.

-Are there raindrops or teardrops falling from the sky?

-It seems some of the clowns are missing parts. The one carrying the purple shoe isn't wearing shoes. I also can't help thinking of the phrase "big shoes to fill" but I feel like it may mean something else.

-The clown at the top has no eyes. Does it mean something, or are they just covered by his hair?

-There's a lot of opposites going on (for lack of a better word). The skull--traditionally a sad or foreboding symbol is smiling, while the clowns--generally thought of as happy, even though I think they're rather macabre--are struggling, upset, etc.

-I also thought of the Adam and Eve apple/snake bit. I wonder what Mika means by using those symbols in relation to the new album?

-The "KA" at the bottom left of the picture. Is that the last two letters in his name, or in this instance do "KA" mean something different? And if it does stand for the "KA" in Mika, where is the "MI"? Also, on the bottom left, there's another "A". Interesting...

-Last thing (for now). Just gotta mention the character with the blond hair on the bottom center. This person just looks different than the others. Less of the stereotypical clown, and kind of like...ringmaster? No, that's not it. And reaching out toward the...red balloon? It doesn't look like another apple. That character just intrigues me.

Maybe I'm reading too far into this. I was an English major in college and was taught to look for symbolism in everything. :naughty: Still, it's fun, and I have a feeling there's more behind it than we might think. Mika's too clever to make everything random.

I like the new artwork and am glad it seems to be going along with the older artwork. I'm curious to know if there are any particular themes. I think the snake with the bitten apple (Adam and Eve reference maybe?) is pretty cool.

hmm, yeah, thats what i kinda thought??

does mika have a religion?

Well Mika has been looking at experimental theatre for ideas for the new shows, and he went to the latest Cirque de Le Soliel show a few months ago, and judging by the new video, the guy doing the shoes for the show, seemed pretty adept at the rope climbing!

But I suspect the circus theme is what we will be looking at next Friday.

how did you know he went to Cirque Du Soleil?

I LOVE Cirque Du Soleil, I have autographs from the performers and I have seen four shows. O, KA, Mystere, and Delerium..and several more on TV...worth every penny..I cannot rave about Cirque enough...if his shows are going to do ANYTHING with Cirque, they will be genius. Absolute. Genius.

for anybody who has never heard of Cirque Du Soleil, they give you an experience of a lifetime, seriously check out the webby.

edit: interesting with the KA..since that is a Cirque show..that I have seen..that would be very interesting to look up since the meanings in KA and the story is MUCH darker.

I feel that whereas LICM artwork was really day-time bright, this feels more night-time..and like the darker aspects of life..

clowns- they looks so sad..clowns could represent really sad things, I mean they spend their lives trying to make people laugh or cheer people up by making idiots of themselves or poking fun at people..but who is to cheer them up?

snakes and the apple-is that a sort of biblical reference? Like..the apple that Eve and Adam took a bite of?

also about the clowns- they are working under the rain, and standing on dice..perhaps that shows that sometimes lifes a game of chance? ups and down..wins and losses?

hmm, yeah, thats what i kinda thought??

does mika have a religion?

I think it said in the Mika facts that he is Catholic, but nobody knows if he is a practicing one..but a few of his songs have refrences like that in them too.

Well we've seen the video for the new Mikasounds site, what do we think of the new artwork that accompanies it?

I think it looks interesting, a little darker I feel, the colours aren't so bright as before.

Look forward to seeing more as the year progresses.

I like the direction he is going with this, the pink snake is appealing and so are the clowns. It's still very colorful but much less then in LICM, i agree with you on that.

Looking forward to the next album and the whole artwork surronding it. :thumb_yello:

I like the direction he is going with this, the pink snake is appealing and so are the clowns. It's still very colorful but much less then in LICM, i agree with you on that.

Looking forward to the next album and the whole artwork surronding it. :thumb_yello:

I agree, I LOVE the artwork, I love cabaret stuff...and rather darker stuff so this is very interesting and it just feels more deep to me.

Well Mika has been looking at experimental theatre for ideas for the new shows, and he went to the latest Cirque de Le Soliel show a few months ago, and judging by the new video, the guy doing the shoes for the show, seemed pretty adept at the rope climbing!

But I suspect the circus theme is what we will be looking at next Friday.

I assume so, i was thinking the same after watching the video yesterday. It feels like it's going to be one big circus, taking everything he did so far 2-3 steps further.

I agree, I LOVE the artwork, I love cabaret stuff...and rather darker stuff so this is very interesting and it just feels more deep to me.

i think all of his music has a dark side, with a bright face, but the artwork seems to be a little darker this time.

i hope the music's as good, if not better, and i REALLY hope we get a few more great hits like grace kelly and love today!!!

i think all of his music has a dark side, with a bright face, but the artwork seems to be a little darker this time.

i hope the music's as good, if not better, and i REALLY hope we get a few more great hits like grace kelly and love today!!!

LICM is a hell of a record to live up to, seriously, I could listen to that thing for hours and still find new things that I didn't hear before.

plus, I like if not love ALL the songs. truly incredible...

I dislike when people are like "oh but his music is soo happy, it gets irritating after a while"

its like..are you actually listening to it!?

LICM is a hell of a record to live up to, seriously, I could listen to that thing for hours and still find new things that I didn't hear before.

I dislike when people are like "oh but his music is soo happy, it gets irritating after a while"

I was like that before becoming a fan. :blush-anim-cl:

But then i listened to it again especially after reading more about Mika and his life, and i got a new perspective on the whole album. It means to me a lot more now then it did before.

I was like that before becoming a fan. :blush-anim-cl:

But then i listened to it again especially after reading more about Mika and his life, and i got a new perspective on the whole album. It means to me a lot more now then it did before.

lol at least you saw the light!!

I am a music junkie, and I detest like..songs that are just..stupid with nothing interesting talking about getting with dat sexy ho or whatever...

so when I heard Mika's music, I listened to Love Today about 8 times and just..absorbed it and I found his other songs and the lyrics..combined with his singing, the orchestral part, the music interludes...yee gads. I could go on forever.

Imogen heap does it for me too...and dresden dolls coin operated boy, that song is amazing.

lol at least you saw the light!!

I am a music junkie, and I detest like..songs that are just..stupid with nothing interesting talking about getting with dat sexy ho or whatever...

so when I heard Mika's music, I listened to Love Today about 8 times and just..absorbed it and I found his other songs and the lyrics..combined with his singing, the orchestral part, the music interludes...yee gads. I could go on forever.

Imogen heap does it for me too...and dresden dolls coin operated boy, that song is amazing.

I am a music person very much too and it takes more then just a catchy tune to grab my attention.

The first song i got hooked on LICM was Happy Ending, it's still my top favorite. LICM is simply amazing piece of work and i can only name one song maybe that i don't like on it.

I've never heard of Imogen Heap, sorry. :blush-anim-cl:

I am a music person very much too and it takes more then just a catchy tune to grab my attention.

The first song i got hooked on LICM was Happy Ending, it's still my top favorite. LICM is simply amazing piece of work and i can only name one song maybe that i don't like on it.

I've never heard of Imogen Heap, sorry. :blush-anim-cl:

what song would that be?

curious to see if it is the same one that it took a while for me to like...

you should look up Hide and seek by her...she is not very well known, but sooo amazing...her voice :D

what song would that be?

curious to see if it is the same one that it took a while for me to like...

you should look up Hide and seek by her...she is not very well known, but sooo amazing...her voice :D

I think my least favorite is Lollipop, its cute and catchy but not my cup of tea.

I'll look for her songs when i'll be back home from work.:thumb_yello:

I think my least favorite is Lollipop, its cute and catchy but not my cup of tea.

I'll look for her songs when i'll be back home from work.:thumb_yello:

mine was my interpretation..until the ending with the woooahhh's

The new artwork seems so dark and sad as his next album !

I think we'll gonna hear only sad songs but each of them will be in a different way !

The clowns, snakes and the scarecrow scare me a lot :shocked::boxed::roftl:

I see Mika and the band dressed in clowns at the end of the gigs :roftl:

dunno why,i dun see the difference between the licm artwork and the new one :blush-anim-cl: maybe the tone's darker?well,if you mention the clowns and everything,i noticed that there ARE skeletons (not Gray Skelly) in the LICM DVD booklet.but i'm not sure of the songs though.mika's songs should be fab judging by the newly developed style he previewed to us.

Well of course I'm going to say I love it :fisch::bleh: And yeah I was also saying that the colours aren't as bright. I'm not sure if it is something that will be in the new album though as it's kind of similar to LiCM, but maybe they're keeping a few elements of the LiCM artwork so the new one stays Mikaish.

I like how the colours are a little muted, and not quite as bright as before, it's got a kind of autumnal feel to it.

Ooh autumn, is that a hint?:naughty:

It's all a bit darker. I like it, even though I have a clown-o-phobia.

The things on it, like the clowns, usually stand for happy things, but on this they look more sad.

Maybe it's like some of the songs on LICM: Nothing is what it seems, they may sound happy, but they have a darker message.

Me too. All of these little sounds and stuff...

I don't like that either. They just don't listen close enough.

Well the drawings we've seen may have nothing to do with the second album...

Maybe...