The Grunge Era: Nirvana!

BonjourMika1990

Once again, I've become obsessed with vintage rock... well rock that was "IT" in the 90's. First it was Pearl Jam, now its Nirvana:punk:

There's something about the "Grunge Era" that was so powerful, so impressive. It was like poetry was being screamed out into mics for what felt like the first time...so my sister says.

And another thing, grunge rockers were so effortlessly cool and sexy:wub2:

And those who have in fact grown up and are still playing music...like Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam (whom I saw yesterday!!!!) still has that grungy rocker in them...even when he's playing acoustically, he can't help but scream into the mic and head bang... He came out wearing flannel by the way, I think that fashion is making its way back, and I'm a bit excited!)

Kurt Cobain for instance was... a genius...I've been reading alot of his lyrics, and they were almost literally INSANE:shocked:

Any other Nirvana fans?!

060921Nirvana3.jpg

archive870.jpg

2092153725_6789642e32.jpg

kurtcobain2.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VINTAGE ROCK?

Geeee, I feel like a dinosaur, thanks!

Grunge is just a missed attempt to revive the 70s punk music in my opinion.

The only time i actually enjoyed a Nirvanna performance was during the MTV awards, when the bassplayer threw his bass in the air and got it back on the head, was knocked out, tried to stand up covered in blood, and fell once again.

I admit THAT was rock n roll ! :roftl::roftl:

I remember that. :roftl:

Does that make me old aswell? :shocked:

Yes!

It makes me think i've noticed this kind of behaviour amongst my students:

They were born in the 90's and when they reach a certain age they start wearing these Metallica and Nirvana shirts, as if they suddenly had discovered that there were bands in the 90's (bad bands usually, but still :naughty:) They think they're so cool lol.

And in fact all generations do that... I'm very into the late 70's/80's music myself although i was far too young to remember anything. It seems like at one point, you just go back to your roots musically speaking and start enjoying the decade you were born in. Funny.

scruffy sod :P

I look amaaaazing. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm naked.

Oh noes, I'm wearing this colourful star-patterned hoodie i bought in London uh. But I'm listening to the Clash :mf_rosetinted:

You're so hardcore. :punk:

I'm listening to Garbage, cuz I'm feeling 90s and all.

I like some of their songs but I think they're one of the most overrated bands ever.

I was more into The Pixies (Nirvana blatantly ripped them off, Dave even admitted to that. :naughty: )

I totally agree with you there. I think if Kurt hadn't died, he wouldn't be considered a legend the way he is.

I totally agree with you there. I think if Kurt hadn't died, he wouldn't be considered a legend the way he is.

Nirvana was a legend long before Kurt died.

And I disagree: the early death of an artist has nothing to do with the band being overrated or not. Jim Morrisson died early and i dont think The Doors were overrated nor that their succes is only due to the fact Jim overdosed in his 30's.

So Nirvana is surely overrated, but not because of Kurt's death only. Just because they arrived at a time the music world was going through some kind of vacuum, with nothing new nor interesting. Grunge music came as a bit of fresh air.

I get your point, but I was more so talking specifically about Kurt as an artist. Though there are several components that could be taken in as to why they are overrated/why people think he was a genius. My take on it may not be what the majority thinks, but oftentimes I believe when people die too soon, the media automatically makes them into a hero of sorts. Kurt isn't an exception IMO.

I get your point, but I was more so talking specifically about Kurt as an artist. Though there are several components that could be taken in as to why they are overrated/why people think he was a genius. My take on it may not be what the majority thinks, but oftentimes I believe when people die too soon, the media automatically makes them into a hero of sorts. Kurt isn't an exception IMO.

I do agree with this 100%. But i keep thinking the situation was quite different with Nirvana cause they were already treated like gods long before kurt died. And he died several times if you remember, according to the press :naughty:

I remember when Grunge broke out and I agree, it really blew up at a point and Nirvana was hugely popular...so I certainly don't disagree with you there. I won't speak for anyone else, of course, but I'll just leave it in saying I really don't get the craze. I certainly don't see Kurt as a genius...however, I know other people might think otherwise.

I remember when Grunge broke out and I agree, it really blew up at a point and Nirvana was hugely popular...so I certainly don't disagree with you there. I won't speak for anyone else, of course, but I'll just leave it in saying I really don't get the craze. I certainly don't see Kurt as a genius...however, I know other people might think otherwise.

I don't consider him a genius either. And musically speaking, Nirvana songs are like the first ones you learn on the guitar lol.

But I agree they were a kind of revolution, so they have all my respect. Even if I'm not a fan of their stuff.

I was more into The Pixies (Nirvana blatantly ripped them off, Dave even admitted to that. :naughty: )

I know! That's one of the reasons I hate Nirvana. (well, extremely dislike them)

And then they came out with that movie a few years ago about Kurt Cobain's life, and the kid who played him was on that FUSE show and he's like "I like Nirvana... and the Pixies too, I guess."

made me so mad. ignorant little preck.

well

you guys are critics huh:naughty:

I'm just saying I like the band man :roftl: I definatley don't see Cobain as an idol, but we read his writing over the summer in class and it really had a way of clawing through to the reader.

That's how I listen to music, through the words...in that way, I think he's a genius... really gritty, raw, poetry.

Overated? no, don't think so... it was from my perspective, a wave of rock that I have not seen in a long time...and creativly, I respect Nirvana, because they seem like they did what they did, without compromise...without ever looking like it was a job. That famous unplugged performance with cobain with his guitar, and the grungy sweater just sittin their sleepily playing his music...I don't know, it was sooo simple, stripped down and raw.

I hope someone comes along...sometime in here who can back me up...though it is highly unlikely since I don't think grunge is really a favorite of most mika fans:cool:

I do want to acknowledge kurt's death... I don't think the public painted him as a hero. I think it was acknowledged as a complete tragedy. Looking at what he wrote, what he gave of himself to his music, that kind of love for what you do is rare. When he died, one more person was lost who was actually passionate about their job. and he was young...a father, headlining a band that was adored. I think he would have only grown as an artist...and by now, who knows where he would be:blush-anim-cl:

I was at a Take That concert when Kurt died, guess that pretty much states my opinion on Nirvana :mf_rosetinted: I didn't like them one bit, but I still know what I did when he died, cause I'm of "that" generation and they were that important :blink:

I was at a Take That concert when Kurt died, guess that pretty much states my opinion on Nirvana :mf_rosetinted: I didn't like them one bit, but I still know what I did when he died, cause I'm of "that" generation and they were that important :blink:

Oh I remember what I did when he died too. Just like I remember all these peeps at school refusing to go to class, sitting outside the building with candles, crying their balls out.

Any other Nirvana fans?!

Yes. *raises her hand*

I hope someone comes along...sometime in here who can back me up...though it is highly unlikely since I don't think grunge is really a favorite of most mika fans:cool:

Wrong.:bleh: I'm a big Mika fan, but I also like rock and grunge music...a lot.

Well...I'm still quite young so I started to listen to Nirvana after Cobain's death (I was 9 when he died, and at that time I had no idea who he was, or what was Nirvana:naughty:).

I discovered them when I was around 13 or 14, can't really remember, but I do remember that I loved them from the very first second, and that their music became a big part of my life. It was like a great escape from the world and its every day problems. I was a huge fan, and I still like their music. For me those guys were one of the best bands ever, and far from being overrated.

I don't consider him a genius either. And musically speaking, Nirvana songs are like the first ones you learn on the guitar lol.

But I agree they were a kind of revolution, so they have all my respect. Even if I'm not a fan of their stuff.

wow, wow, wow!!!! and before you also said they were overrated. "cough" "double cough" "choke" "die"

wow, i wish i had more words in my poor vocabulary to express my "wow"

"the song are the first ones you learn at school" wow, yeah everyone who once played/try to play guitar knows it, but thats the genius of it...you make me think of people who say that Basquiat is "drawing like a kid" and those people make me wanna die and you know what? a kid would NEVER do that and someone who is not a genius would NEVER find the melodies kurt found, his work is absolutely mental, just like basquiat´s work, every single line, every single note is the highest genius and im really , sincerly sorry for all the people who are in a deep denial of that obvious truth.

its so easy to say that it was because of the situation at the time, thats exactly what people like billy corgan say but billy corgan is a bXXXXXX sometimes though he is talented and if kurt himself used to agree their success were due to the times, well, he was too modest!!!

kurts genius was also to express through a simple melody what people who were confused was feeling like,and this is pure genius, to be able to write a feeling into a melody and into words...his lyrics are incredible, i miss him terribly because i really wonder what he would do and ABOVE ALL what he would write and what he would think about music now, he is the biggest loss, he was

a pure genius

and no, not just to me, for once if some people here want to analyse something, this IS really interesting to analyse, though his words and his music say it all for him. again this is not just an opinion, this is how things ARE, as sure as the sun is the sun.

HIS WRITING WERE UNIQUE AND HE WILL STAY A GENIUS FOR EVER IN HISTORY OF MUSIC, HE BELONGS TO THEM. THE GENIUSES. HE HAD THE FCKING GENE.WRITING.MUSIC.VOICE.