The Grunge Era: Nirvana!

BonjourMika1990

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite was the apple one.

I didn't know until recently that 'Smells like Teen Spirit' was actually named after the deodorant.

(from Wikipedia: However, one of its biggest boosts came from the grunge band Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," a song that was inspired by a friend of lead singer Kurt Cobain, Kathleen Hanna (lead singer of the punk band Bikini Kill at the time), spray painting "Kurt smells like Teen Spirit" on his wall (because Tobi Vail, Hanna's band mate and Kurt's then-girlfriend, wore Teen Spirit). At the time the song was released, Cobain had no idea that the brand even existed; when he did find out, he was rather upset that the song had been named after a line of deodorant.)

I liked the Strawberry one.

According to this BBC documentary i was talking about, he actually found out when a journalist asked why he had written a song about a deodorant, and he was like "wtf?" :roftl: Really if you like Nirvana, you should check out this doc, the english title is "The 7 ages of rock". Couldn't tell you which of the 7 episodes was about Nirvana but all of them are worth watching anyway ;)

Suicided in name of his ideals? Like Jesus? Wth? I shouldn't even comment on this. The comparision is just surreal.

What ideals? What did he bring to the world except for a few songs?

He was pissed at becoming commercial, fair enough, there were other ways to deal with that without leaving a Baby daughter behind. Great ideals.

He was just depressive and ****ed up in the head because of the cocaine he sniffed. No ideals there.

I agree with you, lady.

Once again, I've become obsessed with vintage rock... well rock that was "IT" in the 90's. First it was Pearl Jam, now its Nirvana:pu

There's something about the "Grunge Era" that was so powerful, so impressive. It was like poetry was being screamed out into mics for what felt like the first time...so my sister says.

And another thing, grunge rockers were so effortlessly cool and sexy:wu

And those who have in fact grown up and are still playing music...like Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam (whom I saw yesterday!!!!) still has that grungy rocker in them...even when he's playing acoustically, he can't help but scream into the mic and head bang... He came out wearing flannel by the way, I think that fashion is making its way back, and I'm a bit excited!)

Kurt Cobain for instance was... a genius...I've been reading alot of his lyrics, and they were almost literally INSANE:shoc

Any other Nirvana fans?!

060921Nirvana3.jpg

My best best friend is OBSESSED with Nirvana and Kurt...she is in love with him,even though he's dead :naughty:

I really respect their music,I think Nirvana left a huge trace in music history. They had great lyrics as well. "Grandma take me home,Grandma take me home..." :fisch::bleh:

My favourites are "Heart-shaped Box","About A Girl","Lithium"...I don't like "Smells" that much... :huh:

1. Glad I found some fellow fans/people who like the music.

2. I never owned the deodorant... I'm curious to try it lol:naughty:

3. We don't know why he commited suicide, and drugs don't necessarily contribtute to the kind of madness that makes you want to kill yourself. Childhood, trauma all that shiz is what does it ALOT of times. Maybe his ideals weren't the best, but I still feel like he gifted us with some pretty fly music and THAT is more than alot of people can say. Music is an outlet, and maybe for those people who did "worship" Kurt, it symbolized their own "way out". To them, he was a hero. Who knows what he was thinking when he took his life. But this kind of thing happens. Are they bad people? No, just in a verrrry dark place that few even know. Should his suicide be understood as "ok" because he was depressed or whatever, in my opinion no. But I can't really pass judgment on someone who atleast felt emotion and shared it so freely with the world.

Does anyone know if that suicide note was confirmed as real??? If so, it seems like toward the end he just lost the love for the music...its sad :( If you've ever read it.

What about the theory that Courtney killed him and made it look like suicide? :mf_rosetinted:

Yeah, I've heard that one... will anyone ever know though??? I find it hard to believe that he would just leave his little baby :( but like I said, who knows what he was thinking if he really did kill himself.

which everyone says he did:boxed: I have to research more:naughty:

The note never actually said he would "kill" himself though which is kinda odd.

But if memory serves me correctly the note does say goodbye to people, and says that the life of his daughter will be much happier without him. Kinda sounds like a suicide note to me. Why would he write specifically that he was gonna kill himself, I suppose he figured they'd understand if they found him...

So, no I don't think Courtney killed him. Even if I don't like her...

But if memory serves me correctly the note does say goodbye to people, and says that the life of his daughter will be much happier without him. Kinda sounds like a suicide note to me. Why would he write specifically that he was gonna kill himself, I suppose he figured they'd understand if they found him...

So, no I don't think Courtney killed him. Even if I don't like her...

that's true... I guess I just figured if it were staged, that the note had been written maybe if he'd decided to run away....:boxed: lol I dunno... My gut tells me he did do it.

You're not serious about this , are you?

Oh and Elvis ain't dead cause I've heard him on the radio.

And Jim Morisson didn't overdose, he ran away to the Bahamas.

Seriously... I don't believe in any conspiration/murder/disappearance theory. And we never said suiciding was "bad" ... Just that you couldn't say he was a hero for doing it.

Seriously... I don't believe in any conspiration/murder/disappearance theory. And we never said suiciding was "bad" ... Just that you couldn't say he was a hero for doing it.

Agree 100000%

I never said I don't 'agree' with his suicide, because honestly, who am I to say anything about that! I don't think suicide is 'evil' or anything, I just don't think it's something to look up to...

I agree with you, lady.

I third that.

What about the theory that Courtney killed him and made it look like suicide? :mf_rosetinted:

LMAOOOOO that just reminded me of that time on Nevermind the Buzzcocks, when Noel Fielding was filling in for Bill Bailey.

They were talking about Courtney Love, and Noel said to Simon something about how "She'd break you in half like a twiglet."

And Simon paused a minute then goes "Or kill me and make it look like suicide..."

Nevermind. It was funny at the time.

p.s. they say Teen Spirit is actually better than Lady Speed Stick.

I third that.

LMAOOOOO that just reminded me of that time on Nevermind the Buzzcocks, when Noel Fielding was filling in for Bill Bailey.

They were talking about Courtney Love, and Noel said to Simon something about how "She'd break you in half like a twiglet."

And Simon paused a minute then goes "Or kill me and make it look like suicide..."

Hehe I remember that one (in fact, it was on tv last week). Brilliant!

and I didn't.

but I could if I wanted to:wink2:

Why all the sarcasm man??? gee wiz...

I third that.

I need a new deod.... ban! don't work no more haha:roftl:

BonjourMika, I thought you were such a good christian girl? Isn't suicide against your religion...?

hmmm yes, you're right about that. I would never condone it and I would never ever ever do it. But at the same time, I have a very difficult time believing that an all loving God would send suicides straight to hell for taking their life. Again, that's something that is definatley stressed, but I don't want to believe that. For personal reasons.

I'm Catholic, but if not agreeing with a few things here and there makes me a "bad" Christian than so be it, I've got to think for myself. :)

Hehe I remember that one (in fact, it was on tv last week). Brilliant!

The look on Noel's face was priceless.

I need a new deod.... ban! don't work no more haha:roftl:

I use Secret platinum. The peaches stuff smells AMAZING, and I used to sweat a TON at work, but this stuff just keeps on whoopin' ass.:mf_rosetinted:

BonjourMika, I thought you were such a good christian girl? Isn't suicide against your religion...?

Actually, the Catholics didn't used to bury people who died as a result of suicide in our cemeteries. But over the years, we've sort of lightened up on it. My friend tried to kill herself a few months ago, and when I asked my priest about it (I think he thought it was me, but I just said it was my friend because I was embarrassed or something.) he said that the Church realizes that sometimes people just can't handle the stress of their lives, and they shouldn't be punished (i.e. not being burried in the cemetery of their choice, burning in hell, etc) just because they decided to take their death into their own hands.

But at the same time, I have a very difficult time believing that an all loving God would send suicides straight to hell for taking their life.

Yup.:thumb_yello: