Mika Performs as U2 Honors Grainge At MITs

dcdeb

1.jpg

U2 Honors Grainge At MITs

November 03, 2008 - Global

By Andre Paine, London

U2 was among the artists saluting Universal Music Group International chairman/CEO Lucian Grainge at the Music Industry Trust's Award ceremony at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel.

Universal-signed pop acts Mika and Take That performed at the ceremony tonight (Nov. 3), along with jazz-pop singer Jamie Cullum and indie-rock band Razorlight, which released its new album “Slipway Fires” (Vertigo/Mercury) today. Artists among the 1,200 guests included Girls Aloud, Anastacia, Sugababes, Keane, The Feeling, Snow Patrol, members of ABBA, Ray Davies, Lulu and James Morrison.

The MIT award was presented to the Universal boss by all four members of U2.

Tributes on film were made by personalities from the world of business and musicians including Mariah Carey, Sir Philip Green, the Pussycat Dolls, Michael Winner, Elton John, Bob Geldof, U2 manager Paul McGuinness, Girls Aloud, UMG chairman/CEO Doug Morris and Lionel Richie.

"I'm glad you're getting this award tonight because you're a great record man, you love music, you love records and I can't see anyone other than you in the business getting this award,” said Sir Elton John.

In his acceptance speech Lucian Grainge said: "This recognition is an honor, and I'm delighted to be able to share it with the many artists, colleagues and friends who have been at the center of my professional and personal life for the past 30 years. I'm proud that music is the only industry I have ever worked in. Music has given me opportunity and fulfillment beyond measure, and I'm grateful for that."

Previous winners of the award include Sir George Martin, Harvey Goldsmith and the late Ahmet Ertegun, and artists and musicians including Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin, Kylie Minogue and Peter Gabriel.

Grainge is marking his thirtieth anniversary in the music industry, having worked with artists including Eurythmics, U2, Sir Elton John, Take That, Metallica, Snow Patrol, Amy Winehouse, Mika and Duffy, the biggest U.K. debut artist this year.

Grainge has also been invited by culture secretary Andy Burnham to take part in the "Creative Britain” conference next October, acting as an ambassador for British talent.

Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy and the BRIT School, the two charities that are supported by the annual Music Industry Trusts' Award, received a record-breaking £350,000 ($553,338) from this year's event. It was sponsored by mobile manufacturer Nokia, London-based media investment firm Ingenious Media and U.K. collecting societies PPL and PRS.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ifcb7b0c6e00764409142e47694ac36d3

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:yikes:

AHA!!!!!!!!

Now I wonder if he will go to the EMA's since he is nominated, Katy is hosting and Perez is hosting the digital show for MTV.

OH, WHAT A SURPRISE!

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

Didn't see that coming:naughty:

Yeah I thought it was a bit interesting that Perez, Katy and Mika have arrived int he UK on the same day (or over the course of 2 days at that...) Hmmmm

mmm hmmmm! BUT!!!! AHA! now I wonder did he perform with his band?

They would need to rehearse, which may be why he didn't seem to be at that KP party!

mmm hmmmm! BUT!!!! AHA! now I wonder did he perform with his band?

They would need to rehearse, which may be why he didn't seem to be at that KP party!

It could have been acoustic, just him on the piano, or just with Martin and Mikey.

At . . .

http://www.mitsaward.co.uk/

img1.jpg

LUCIAN GRAINGE HONOURED WITH THE 2008 MUSIC INDUSTRY TRUSTS' AWARD

Lucian Grainge, one of the British music industry's most successful and influential executives, is to be honoured with the prestigious annual Music Industry Trusts' Award - the first time in more than a decade that the award recipient is the serving chief executive of a major record company. In recognition of services to the industry, the Award will be presented to Grainge, Chairman and Chief Executive of Universal Music Group International, on the evening of 3 November at London's Grosvenor House, in the presence of over 1200 guests from the UK's music and entertainment sectors.

The Music Industry Trusts' Award, now in its 17th year, has become one of the true benchmarks of achievement and generosity in the British music business, bestowing the respect of peers upon its recipients, while benefiting the charitable causes that have the industry's loyalty.

Lucian Grainge joins a select group of previously honoured industry leaders such as Sir George Martin, Harvey Goldsmith and the late Ahmet Ertegun, and such esteemed artists and musicians as Kylie Minogue, Peter Gabriel, Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin, and John Barry. Grainge, who this year celebrates his 30th anniversary in the business, has been closely involved with the careers of such global superstars as U2, Sir Elton and Amy Winehouse, and with UK-signed multi-platinum performers such as Mika, Take That, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs and Scissor Sisters.

The MITS Award Committee is delighted that Lucian Grainge is this year's honouree, and the choice reflects more than the success of the company he leads. Grainge exemplifies the drive, imagination and experience which are core qualities for anyone who aims to advance and prosper in the fast-changing British music industry, and who wants to shape it. Since 1978, he has been bagel boy, talent scout, music publisher, A&R director, label managing director, company chairman, UK group chairman and now chairman/CEO of Universal Music Group International.

David Munns, Chairman of the Awards Committee, said, "In an era when the music business is under so much pressure, it is a joy to give this award to someone who is on top of his game. Lucian has been responsible for bringing so many new artists to the fore, and he is proof of the creativity, determination and fidelity to music which are at the heart of our industry."

Lucian Grainge commented, "This recognition is an honour, and one for me to share with the many artists, colleagues and friends who have been at the centre of my professional and personal life for the past 30 years. I'm proud that music is the only industry I have ever worked in. Music has given me opportunity and fulfilment beyond measure, and I'm grateful for that."

The Music Industry Trusts' Award has raised £3 million to date for its two charities, Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy and the BRIT Trust (which includes the BRIT school for Performing Arts and Technology). The Award was established in 1991 with the twin aims of honouring an individual and raising money for the nominated charities. The Award is unique because - in addition to saluting artists - it recognises the contribution that an individual has made to the industry, from a range of activities: producer, film composer, record company executive, music retailer, concert impresario.

The charity event is renowned for producing an evening that is inspirational and often moving, with unique live performances and collaborations from artists such as Rod Stewart, Kylie Minogue and Jamie Cullum, Elton John, Peter Gabriel and Youssou N'Dour.

----------------------------------

Celebrate the career of Universal chief Lucian Grainge or rock out with Slash, Ozzy and Alice Cooper

Classic Rock Awards: £10,000 + VAT for a table for 10. Music Industry Trust Awards: £5,000 + VAT per person

Award ceremonies are like London buses: you wait ages for one then two come along at once, and then they're always packed and impossible to get into. On 3 November, a substantial portion of the world's music industry will descend on Park Lane for the Classic Rock Awards and the Music Industry Trust's Awards, and Ten can gain members VIP access.

The Grosvenor House Hotel will host the Music Industry Trust's event, which will honour the 30-year career of Lucian Grainge. If you haven't heard of Grainge, you will have heard his work. He runs Universal Music's interests outside America, and under his guidance the label has signed acts such as Kaiser Chiefs, Mika, Snow Patrol, Duffy and Amy Winehouse. More than 1,200 guests from the UK's music and entertainment industry, including plenty of famous faces, will attend this celebration of Grainge's career. Paul Gambaccini will host the ceremony and there will be several special guest live music performances.

Tickets cost £5,000 + VAT per person and all proceeds from the evening go to support the continuing valuable work of Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy and the BRIT School for Performing Arts & Technology.

Meanwhile, at the Park Lane Hotel, Slash, Roger Daltrey, Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper are all expected to attend the Classic Rock Awards. Ozzy is due to receive a living legend award, and Led Zeppelin are nominated for a number of statues, including best band and event of the year for their one-off performance at the O2 last December.

Tables for ten, including pre-drinks reception, dinner and after-show party, cost £10,000 + VAT each, so call your lifestyle manager if you want to see how monsters of rock spend an evening together. Don't forget to tune your air guitar.

Alice Cooper=

Alice_cooper_WB.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

MIKA GOES STRAIGHT AGAIN!!!! enjoy

n657860323_4594796_1000.jpg

I likeeee:wub2:

It's more fluffed up than the last time, which looked a bit flat.

Although I did like it last time, it made him look like a 30s film star, this time he's got little sideburns, never done that before, looks gorgeous:wub2:

Hopefully you're not being sarcastic :naughty:

You're welcome?

No, Racha doesn't do sarcasm!

She looks after us Oldlings:wink2:

Good to see Martin back, wonder if they performed new songs?

No, Racha doesn't do sarcasm!

She looks after us Oldlings:wink2:

Good to see Martin back, wonder if they performed new songs?

Good to know, thanks :naughty:

I was wondering the same thing. Probably not. He's too secretive:thumbdown: