what lacked in past videoclips was self irony.. there's plenty of self affirmation and plenty of self irony in this one. it's absolutely flawless IMO. :wub2:

I have to agree. The self irony is most appealing. I love a man who can laugh at himself.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what lacked in past videoclips was self irony.. there's plenty of self affirmation and plenty of self irony in this one. it's absolutely flawless IMO. :wub2:

Absolutely! I think this has to be... the first vid ever that made me smile and laugh all the way through! Okay, except for the mahnamana (sp?) from the muppets but that's another story :teehee:

I think i understand the whole feeling of the song more because of this video , it all makes sense now. I can really see my own teenage years in that video . I haven't had much because i was forced to grow up to early but it feels like he's giving me back those lost years. And it feels ok to be like that again.

Thank you Mika

It's not like I just noticed this threat and the video....I just was busy watching the video over and over and over again the last days. :teehee: I love this video. It just gives you such a good mood and it is made so clever-all those details and things to interpret...and that teddy jacket on the floor, the kicked door.... etc. I love it. :wub2: pure fun.

His genitalia if you want specifics. I remember in one of the special features on my DVD of "A Knight's Tale" (and I can't remember if it was in a commentary or something else), where Paul Bettany is talking about being nude in one of the scenes and because he's walking and you see him from the rear, his genitalia was taped (to his leg I think) so it wouldn't flop around, and be accidentally visible. I wondered if Mika may do the same thing to prevent his genitalia flopping around and giving us precisely the screencaps that are cropping up now. But, it would appear not!:teehee:

Was I clear enough for you?:wink2:

No, I meant : with my nose on the screen -and whether I am watching the WAG vid or any other one-, I can't see any 'thing' worth mentioning :no: .

It can be pretty embarrassing, really, because a good friend of mine keeps sending me pics or vids of Sire where she sees a boner while I can't even see a chicken bone. Am I blind or am I more lucid than she is, that's a one-euro question :confused: .

Cheers,

Id3

I have to agree. The self irony is most appealing. I love a man who can laugh at himself.

I've heard a couple of references to irony in this thread and I'm wondering what people mean specifically because the usage in Canada is different.

I mean unless people are saying that Mika never comes across as camp or that he's normally incredibly cool or composed or vain or whatever, then I don't see how this is ironic?

But like I said maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the word because Canadians don't generally use "irony" to describe humour.

I've heard a couple of references to irony in this thread and I'm wondering what people mean specifically because the usage in Canada is different.

I mean unless people are saying that Mika never comes across as camp or that he's normally incredibly cool or composed or vain or whatever, then I don't see how this is ironic?

But like I said maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the word because Canadians don't generally use "irony" to describe humour.

In my opinion irony and ironic perfectly suit the topic. :blink:

Hope this can help:

i·ro·ny

n. pl. i·ro·nies

a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain).

b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

3. Dramatic irony.

4. Socratic irony.

irony

Noun

pl -nies

1. the mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean

2. a situation or result that is the direct opposite of what was expected or intended [Greek eirōneia]

irony

noun 1. sarcasm, mockery, ridicule, bitterness, scorn, satire, cynicism, derision, causticity, mordancy

noun 2. paradox, ambiguity, absurdity, incongruity, contrariness

well, I'm not canadian, but I can say what I mean about it..

this video (him stripped in his pants) could have turned out the most sappy, pathetic oh-god-I'm-so-good-looking-look-at-me and-drool kinda thing, like it happens with many commercial artists (not using commercial in a bad sense of the word).

instead he's acting sexy but with irony, playing with his moves and his attitude, not making them any less camp (which is a good thing) and not denying them in any way.

the video's self affirming in an angry, but playful and intelligent way.

is it to understand now?

this video (him stripped in his pants) could have turned out the most sappy, pathetic oh-god-I'm-so-good-looking-look-at-me and-drool kinda thing, like it happens with many commercial artists (not using commercial in a bad sense of the word).

instead he's acting sexy but with irony, playing with his moves and his attitude, not making them any less camp (which is a good thing) and not denying them in any way.

is it to understand now?

No sorry I still don't understand but maybe it's just me. :blush-anim-cl:

Hypothetically speaking the video could have turned out in any one of a million possible ways so the fact that it didn't turn out sappy doesn't make it ironic IMO. I mean there is nothing inherently sappy about the song like Any Other World. It's a fun song.

It turned out camp and playful and fun, but isn't that EXACTLY what all of us and in fact the world expects of Mika? Where's the irony in it turning out exactly as one would expect from him?

In my opinion irony and ironic perfectly suit the topic. :blink:

Hope this can help:

i·ro·ny

n. pl. i·ro·nies

a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain).

b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

3. Dramatic irony.

4. Socratic irony.

irony

Noun

pl -nies

1. the mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean

2. a situation or result that is the direct opposite of what was expected or intended [Greek eirōneia]

irony

noun 1. sarcasm, mockery, ridicule, bitterness, scorn, satire, cynicism, derision, causticity, mordancy

noun 2. paradox, ambiguity, absurdity, incongruity, contrariness

The contrast between what I was expecting, what it could potentially have been had Mika played it "straight" and how it actually turned out, where Mika's portrayal of his teenage self definitely has tongue-in-cheek overtones, that fits the definition of irony listed above. At least, I believe so. :biggrin2:

The contrast between what I was expecting, what it could potentially have been had Mika played it "straight" and how it actually turned out, where Mika's portrayal of his teenage self definitely has tongue-in-cheek overtones, that fits the definition of irony listed above. At least, I believe so. :biggrin2:

I guess I just can't imagine why anyone would expect Mika to play it straight. :lmfao:

Really I don't understand the potential talk. There is potential for anything in any scenario but that doesn't mean it is likely or to be expected.

He said he was going to dance around as he did when he was a teenager and this is Mika. What teenager doesn't goof around when they are dancing in their bedroom and why would anyone expect Mika of all people to act serious about it?

I mean...I personally can't even imagine it. :dunno:

Hypothetically speaking the video could have turned out in any one of a million possible ways so the fact that it didn't turn out sappy doesn't make it ironic IMO. I mean there is nothing inherently sappy about the song like Any Other World. It's a fun song.

It turned out camp and playful and fun, but isn't that EXACTLY what all of us and in fact the world expects of Mika? Where's the irony in it turning out exactly as one would expect from him?

But it isn't what I was expecting from Mika. I have to confess I didn't really understand the song, and for some reason I had this horrible "David Beckham in his undies" picture in my mind. I was expecting something more earnest and serious, trying to support a song that I wasn't overly fond of on limited listening and that I'd imagined to be much more "anthem-ish".

So the irony has more to do with my expectations. But I seriously did expect it to be more of a serious video. I am delighted that it is not. When I least expect him to is when Mika does tend to take himself seriously.

No, I meant : with my nose on the screen -and whether I am watching the WAG vid or any other one-, I can't see any 'thing' worth mentioning :no: .

It can be pretty embarrassing, really, because a good friend of mine keeps sending me pics or vids of Sire where she sees a boner while I can't even see a chicken bone. Am I blind or am I more lucid than she is, that's a one-euro question :confused: .

Cheers,

Id3

Oh! And yet again I misunderstood you. Generally I would agree with you. I usually can't see anything. However this time I really can. Maybe you need to watch Mana's slow-mo vid?

again, everyone's opinion's just as good.

but frankly NO, it's not what I expected of mika. I LOVE him and there's no need to state it once again, but he's not always self ironic. fun and self irony is NOT the same thing.

any other world is everything but happy: still I love it to bits, esp. live.

this video -as chickedee rightly said- could have turned out a really irritating, self celebrative thing (the song may have feed this pov), but instead it's grand and it's self affirming, which IS what I have been waiting for, for as many as 2 yrs and a 1/2.

I guess I just can't imagine why anyone would expect Mika to play it straight. :lmfao:

Really I don't understand the potential talk. There is potential for anything in any scenario but that doesn't mean it is likely or to be expected.

He said he was going to dance around as he did when he was a teenager and this is Mika. What teenager doesn't goof around when they are dancing in their bedroom and why would anyone expect Mika of all people to act serious about it?

I mean...I personally can't even imagine it. :dunno:

When you put it like that, I can totally see why you wouldn't expect Mika to play it straight.

It doesn't change the fact that I did. I was expecting to be embarrassed for him and to be cringing over it. Because I was expecting it to have a serious sensibility. The man is not one large overgrown child 24/7. And he does manage to surprise me with regard when he's serious and when he's not.

is it to understand now?

Of course, I suppose this is your opinion. :confused:

Because I still don't find it sexy at all. I think he's starved himself to acquire the typical teenage look: a too skinny boy, clumsy, who's probably grown too fast and who feels ugly, underestimated. I work with teenagers: with few exceptions, boys are normally ugly and not sexy at all, because they're changing fast. This is normal in Italy, maybe less normal in northern Europe, where teenagers are often beautiful. There can't be anything sexy for me in a teenager dancing freely in his bedroom.

And I still don't find it camp. (Oh why on earth did you use that word in the Observer interview, Sire? :sneaky2:) You say it's self affirming. Do you mean that Mika is himself in the video? I think MIKA is a persona, a character. I think MIKA is a very intelligent artist, who would never use a video to give a message only concerning Mika. Because this is what he's always stated he's been doing. His music is art and I think he doesn't want to use it to say something about himself in such an easy way. There are artists who see art as autobiography, but so far Mika has been denying doing that.

Art is creating something that will always tell people something interesting, because they can relate to that, because they can make it their own experience, because they can read it in a thousand different ways.

again, everyone's opinion's just as good.

but frankly NO, it's not what I expected of mika. I LOVE him and there's no need to state it once again, but he's not always self ironic. fun and self irony is NOT the same thing.

any other world is everything but happy: still I love it to bits, esp. live.

this video -as chickedee rightly said- could have turned out a really irritating, self celebrative thing (the song may have feed this pov), but instead it's grand and it's self affirming, which IS what I have been waiting for, for as many as 2 yrs and a 1/2.

Really? :blink: I would never ever expect that from Mika. :dunno:

Alright I recovered from the shock. :lmfao: I could only watch it through my fingers the first time round. And I thought it was very embarrassing. On top of everything the undies really looked like diapers at first.

Now having seen it on youtube in better quality, I must say it keeps growing on me. Not that I think of the moves and the outfit as less ridiculous now. But I can see His Royal Curliness :king: has finally found himself and is at ease and freed from any restrictions due to what people might think or say.

I don't think this will gain him the mainstream following he didn't get so far. For that it's too much of a statement.

Ohh and I simply love the fact that there are fan gifts involved. Love it. I would have loved to inspect the set for all those crazy toys we only see for a split second. :wub2:

Another article on the web, I'll translate it later on if needed...

Mika nu dans son nouveau clip !

Mika nu dans son nouveau clip !

par clo62 le 29/07/2009 17:51

dans l'actualité Musique de melty.fr

Worlds : Mika

Mika, la révélation musicale de ces dernières années revient avec un nouvel album qui sera dans les bacs en septembre prochain. Après « Life in cartoon Motion », l’attente est grande pour tous ces fans et un nouveau clip tourne déjà sur internet !

Le 21 septembre prochain sortira le nouvel album de Mika « We are golden ». Un album très attendu, 2 ans après « Life in cartoon Motion » qui avait cartonné se vendant à plusieurs millions d’exemplaire dont plus d’un million en France. Qui ne se souvient pas « Big girl » ou encore du très célèbre « Relax, Take it Easy ». Mais trêve de blablaterie car en ce moment sur internet tourne le clip de Mika du titre éponyme « We are golden » où on peut l’apercevoir dans le plus simple appareil : en caleçon et nu !

Mika nu dans son nouveau clip ! - La veste rose, c'est ....tendance?

La veste rose, c'est ....tendance?

Vous ne rêvez pas meltynautes, Mika qu’on pourrait qualifier de Toy Boy ainsi vêtu comme son deuxième extrait d’album n’est vêtu de quasiment rien et chez melty.fr, on approuve ! Il revient plus en forme que jamais alors qu’ il avait été touché par son rythme effréné il y a quelques temps. C’est entouré du producteur réputé Greg Wells à qui l’on doit des sons de Katy Perry ou encore Pink, qu’a collaboré Mika. Il s’est aussi entouré des chœurs gospel Andrae Crouch pour son nouveau titre ( Les chœurs ont aussi collaboré avec le défunt Michael Jackson). Ce nouvel album va semble-t-il envoyer du lourd, du très lourd et chez melty.fr, on a hâte d’être le 6 septembre pour pouvoir télécharger ce nouveau titre sur les plateformes de téléchargement !

Source : http://www.chartsinfrance.net

0% (0 votes) aiment cet article, et toi ? j'adore ! / je deteste..

And a second one...

Vidéo : Mika se déshabille dans son nouveau clip

il y a 3 heures 4 min

Elle

* Imprimer

Photos/Vidéos liées

Vidéo : Mika se déshabille dans son nouveau clip Agrandir la photo

Articles liés

Discussion: Musique

" We are golden " : c'est le dernier single de Mika, tout beau, tout frais, extrait de son album du même nom, en vente le 21 septembre prochain. Aujourd'hui, l'artiste nous balance le clip ravageur de son nouveau titre très pop. Mika, l'intenable, se déchaîne et joue les ados attardés dans une chambre d'enfant inondée de jouets. Pour son clip, le chanteur a également fait tomber la chemise... et le pantalon ! En effet, c'est un Mika en caleçon que vous pourrez admirer dans cette vidéo haute en couleur ! > Voir la vidéoC.C.Le 30/07/09

Oh! And yet again I misunderstood you. Generally I would agree with you. I usually can't see anything. However this time I really can. Maybe you need to watch Mana's slow-mo vid?

Well, well, well... the director IS GOOD :thumb_yello: ! He even provided Sire with props :wink2: !

Cheers,

Id3

Alright I recovered from the shock. :lmfao: I could only watch it through my fingers the first time round. And I thought it was very embarrassing. On top of everything the undies really looked like diapers at first.

Now having seen it on youtube in better quality, I must say it keeps growing on me. Not that I think of the moves and the outfit as less ridiculous now. But I can see His Royal Curliness :king: has finally found himself and is at ease and freed from any restrictions due to what people might think or say.

I don't think this will gain him the mainstream following he didn't get so far. For that it's too much of a statement.

Ohh and I simply love the fact that there are fan gifts involved. Love it. I would have loved to inspect the set for all those crazy toys we only see for a split second. :wub2:

His Royal Waxiness :sneaky2: is doing what he does next best to music : flashing :roftl: !

Miss the naked feet though, who knows, we might have glimpsed a few hairs on his silly toes :blush-anim-cl: .

Cheers,

Id3

His Royal Waxiness :sneaky2: is doing what he does next best to music : flashing :roftl: !

Miss the naked feet though, who knows, we might have glimpsed a few hairs on his silly toes :blush-anim-cl: .

Cheers,

Id3

:lmfao: Whatever floats his boat. As long as he gets his waxed ass over here soon enough again I will be fine. I'm ready for another gig.