• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, it's not that bad .. At least it's a big version .. hadn't seen one before (where you can clearly see Mika that is :bleh:) :wink2:

The whole video has so much fun, sweet & nice moments .. I don't know if I can chose one favourite .. :roftl: F.e. a part what I like is where he "kicks in" the door .. Don't know why, but I like it :bleh: (together with many other things :roftl:)

Irony (UK definition) tends to depend on a knowledge not obvious from whatever is being ironic. If the vid showed MIka getting the song off youtube before dancing to it, that would be ironic- having to show someone nicking a songi to identify with the target audience for a vid trying to sell a song. That's couldn't be called sarcasm- though it could be satire I suppose- I've forgotten the difference between satire and irony and its very subtle anyway. Would it be ironic by the Canadian definititon?

Really I don't know anything about the subtle distinctions in these definitions which is why I brought this up. I never studied English or literature or poetry or anything of the sort at school. I am all about logic. :wink2:

And because I am all about logic I am having a really hard time understanding how people can watch a video of Mika dancing around with lasers shooting out of his crotch and a huge inflatable penis on his head and say with a straight face that they think it's not camp.

I mean come on!!! :lmfao:

What on earth could he be doing in a room alone by himself (that is not XXX-rated) that could come across as more camp than what is portrayed in the video? Not only is the label "gay" warranted IMO, but I'd be amazed if it wasn't the exact intention of everyone involved in producing it.

I know we're all entitled to our own opinions but sometimes I think I'm living in a completely alternate reality to some other fans. That's why I'm trying to clarify here whether this is a terminology thing or people are just seeing something that I'm not.

I was a bit disappointed to see it was like a TV with all those lines through it.:boxed:

Yeah I'm very disappointed. Also you can't direct link to it.

:thumbdown:

The whole video has so much fun, sweet & nice moments .. I don't know if I can chose one favourite .. :roftl: F.e. a part what I like is where he "kicks in" the door .. Don't know why, but I like it :bleh: (together with many other things :roftl:)

Oh I have a whole list of favourite moments - the cassette player on his shoulder, the third clip of the cupcake scarf where he's got a little smile, and he pulls a funny O face at one point when he's wearing his yellow jacket.

Oh and jumping on the shoes has to be one of my FAVOURITE favourite bits. It reminds me of my best friend. I was at her house and we were about to go out and she said 'I haven't got any shoes to wear' and she opened her wardrobe and about 20 pairs of shoes fell out on her, hahaha.

Really I don't know anything about the subtle distinctions in these definitions which is why I brought this up. I never studied English or literature or poetry or anything of the sort at school. I am all about logic. :wink2:

And because I am all about logic I am having a really hard time understanding how people can watch a video of Mika dancing around with lasers shooting out of his crotch and a huge inflatable penis on his head and say with a straight face that they think it's not camp.

What on earth could he be doing in a room alone by himself (that is not XXX-rated) that could come across as more camp than what is portrayed in the video? Not only is the label "gay" warranted IMO, but I'd be amazed if it wasn't the exact intention of everyone involved in producing it.

I know we're all entitled to our own opinions but sometimes I think I'm living in a completely alternate reality to some other fans. That's why I'm trying to clarify here whether this is a terminology thing or people are just seeing something that I'm not.

:

I have to disagree. When I first heard the song before seeing the video, I felt like dancing around in the bedroom like I used to in my teenage years. If I could name the song it would be "raging hormones". Not exactly a name that would sell much though.:naughty:So when I saw his video, it is an exact interpretation of the song: I am a teenager and I'm bigger than life. :boing:

What really depresses me though is that I envy those who dare to do the same for their WAG video. I think I'm too old for this.:huh: Plus I don't know how to explain to my husband and children the reason why I am dancing half naked on my bed to a MIKA song:aah:

Isn't it wonderful that we see the video in such a different perspective?

I think that every single person interprets things in a personal way. Thank God! Because otherwise I should stop playing the piano: I'm just a performer and my interpretation of compositions written by famous composers could only be the same as those of all the other performers.

Personally, I happen to feel camp people or art that are not camp at all for other people, or that are not intended to be camp. For example, I think a really camp video is the Pink video by Aerosmith. The video looks camp and in general Steven Tyler looks so gay to me! I love him and I love his songs and videos. Do you feel the WAG video is camp? Perfectly fine! This is what you feel. :thumb_yello:

Why don't we ask Mika about it? He's generally willing to answer questions about what he does in music. Go ahead! I'm very curious! If you feel that the video is made to look camp, asking him about that should be just fine!

I also think that the huge inflatable penis is not the gist of the video. If I hadn't read this thread I would have never noticed it! :boxed: Isn't that a creation of the Belgian stylist Mika likes? Isn't that supposed to be a form of art? :dunno:

Years ago I had this Swatch telephone in my house...round part lying flat and you had to put the phone upright in the middle of it. Does it mean that my mind is penis-centred? A friend of mine told me the phone was sexy :das: , but I had never thought about that before! :blink:

Watch that official one carefully. If you have watched the leaked one more than about 10 times (:shocked: liar! You did so!!) you will notice that almost all the best scenes are cut a little shorter. It seems to chop and change much faster.

I still wish his mum had walked in at the end like Nono said. That would have made it super-hilarious in my mind.:naughty:

Why don't we ask Mika about it? He's generally willing to answer questions about what he does in music. Go ahead! I'm very curious! If you feel that the video is made to look camp, asking him about that should be just fine!

I never said I had any questions about this video and I feel no need to discuss it with Mika. If you're very curious then you should ask Mika about it.

Years ago I had this Swatch telephone in my house...round part lying flat and you had to put the phone upright in the middle of it. Does it mean that my mind is penis-centred? A friend of mine told me the phone was sexy :das: , but I had never thought about that before! :blink:

The objects in the room are not vaguely phallic. The one he is wearing on his head is called Dickhead.

I don't know how you can possibly compare that to a Swatch telephone. :roftl:

I never said I had any questions about this video and I feel no need to discuss it with Mika. If you're very curious then you should ask Mika about it.

The objects in the room are not vaguely phallic. The one he is wearing on his head is called Dickhead.

I don't know how you can possibly compare that to a Swatch telephone. :roftl:

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm perfectly happy with My Interpretation. And I'm sure he's happy with My Interpretation, too! :pinkbow:

Did you know that object before the video or have you made research on that? Because I think that most people won't even notice it: the video is too fast! For me at least, it's not easy to spot.

Really. It's not funny at all. My friend was convinced I was a perv! :boxed:

I have to disagree. When I first heard the song before seeing the video, I felt like dancing around in the bedroom like I used to in my teenage years. If I could name the song it would be "raging hormones". Not exactly a name that would sell much though.:naughty:So when I saw his video, it is an exact interpretation of the song: I am a teenager and I'm bigger than life. :boing:

What really depresses me though is that I envy those who dare to do the same for their WAG video. I think I'm too old for this.:huh: Plus I don't know how to explain to my husband and children the reason why I am dancing half naked on my bed to a MIKA song:aah:

I DO feel the same... Not too old, but like I would need an airbrushing me!!! My son would like to dance in his pants and make a fool of himself but we won't do the contest. Good luck to the others!

:thumb_yello:

I lived my teenage years in the 70s and early 80s in middle europe, and this hilarious joking around in the vid was what we did then too. We had no laser beams, no. But a flashlight brought it across just as well. The difference to your view on it is: it never crossed our minds then that this could be perceived as gay. One of my male friends is gay, the rest is straight. And it was not the gay who was the weirdest of them :naughty:. Do you really think only gay man would play around with a dickhead like that? No! Not my experience :roftl:. Maybe nowadays to many boys and men are afraid of being labeled gay to do that anymore. So sad for them!

I didn't say Canadians don't use irony. Just that we don't use the term "irony" regularly when describing humour the way the Brits do. We call it satire and sarcasm I suppose. :dunno:

Actually I was poking fun at myself here as I still don't see any irony in WAG whether I use the British or Canadian definition & use.

This is what I was getting at...that the Brits use "ironic" to describe humour in a way that is distinct from that literary definition everyone in Canada learns studying English at school.

Although as I said I don't see how this video is ironic by any understanding I have of the word (or of the video!).

Isn't it great that we all have different intpretations especially when it comes to art & music.

I don't see that WAG is camp, gay or ironic.

But hey that is just me.

One thing a lot of us have in common about WAG is that we Love it - some hate it - Most love it.

To each his own!

I do stick by my repeated claims that almost everybody I know - though they hate to admit it - has done this in the privacy of their bedroom or living room.:teehee::teehee::wub2::wub2:

P.S. Have you guys found the thread with the link to the making of WAG in the news and press section?? Spectacular!!

I am so happy that Niki27 posted the link for the "making of the We Are Golden vid!"

It is also interesting to hear the concept for WAG from Mika himself!

"It is about being a teenager and hiding in your music or hiding in your bedroom or dancing around to try to make yourself feel like you've got value," says Mika at the shoot.

Right on Mika!!

I am so happy that Niki27 posted the link for the "making of the We Are Golden vid!"

It is also interesting to hear the concept for WAG from Mika himself!

"It is about being a teenager and hiding in your music or hiding in your bedroom or dancing around to try to make yourself feel like you've got value," says Mika at the shoot.

Right on Mika!!

Can you give me that link? Thanks!:biggrin2:

Have you guys noticed that, in the end of the vid when Mika turns around the tape, Ingies doggie isn't there yet. And then when Mika waits, on the carpet, for the music to start again the dog suddenly appears and starts dancing!

Funny. Would that be a directors mistake or was it on purpose?