The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

This is slightly off-topic, but it is interesting to read if you were involved in the discussion on this thread about record companies, different ways of releasing material, etc.

As far as I am concerned, if things do go t*** up for Mika vis-a-vis his record company we shouldn't worry. There are so many other ways for artists with ambition, talent, fanbase and the creativity to make it work :thumb_yello:

Credit to southeast for sending me the link to this, by the way.

http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2010/09/radiohead-copyright-freespeech-music/

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It's a very interesting article! Thank you, SE! :thumb_yello:

I never buy the ticket for a gig if it's too expensive. I would never pay to see Madonna in a stadium, for example. The most expensive ticket I've bought so far is the seated ticket for Mika's Nice gig. But it was cheaper than lots of other artists, seated and in a smallish venue.

I don't even go to see the opera at La Scala Theatre, unless the ticket is affordable. 90 euros is too much even for that opera theatre. :shun:

Interesting article, I think not always the money you pay for a show is according to the quality of it. At the end of this year I´ll have been in many differents shows, including Mika, U2, Sting and some operas and concerts, and one of the best, without doubt, has been Mika. I hardly knew him before saw him live and it was a surprising discovery. :biggrin2:

A really interesting & understandable article from The Economist on how the music industry makes money. Didn't know where else to post this.

http://econ.st/bixwDf

So, summary is, if Mika wants to get really rich & well known he should:

1. increase tickets prizes, cause pple are willing to pay

2. make more (AND BETTER) merch

3. have an own clothing label

4. write jingles & melodies for TV

5. get more 40+ esp. 60+ fans cause they have the money & buy pop albums

6. spend half the year touring through Japan

7. sell CDs in supermarkets.....

:doh:

:roll1:

A really interesting & understandable article from The Economist on how the music industry makes money. Didn't know where else to post this.

http://econ.st/bixwDf

Interesting article! Thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

Yes please!! But then I would be broke...:aah: Oh, but he can live here and can come over for tea anytime:wink2:

Anyway, tickets are outrageously expensive here. I'm always surprised at how affordable they are in other countries.

Isn't he already doing most of that? :lmfao:

Yes please!! But then I would be broke...:aah: Oh, but he can live here and can come over for tea anytime:wink2:

Anyway, tickets are outrageously expensive here. I'm always surprised at how affordable they are in other countries.

Yes! The tickets for the gigs were about 1/3 of the cost of my flight across half of Canada and the entire Pacific Ocean. :shocked:

Why not?

Yeah, don't they count? :blink:

Isn't he already doing most of that? :lmfao:

Well, the quality and quantity of his merch could really be better. He could be more creative here. I would buy a red striped t-shirt like his f.e., it's unisex so it really would be a good idea. Apparently the "Rolling Stones" have some good ideas for merchies - learn from the best. :wink2:

I dunno if he writes stuff for TV and what is the average age of his fanbase.

Of course there is a difference if a musician makes heaps of money OR is famous. Or both. There are lots of obscure musicians who are very wealthy but somehow totaly unknown to the masses. Don't ask me how this works. So he can be wealthy doing things even we don't know about (is this possible???), I don't know that. But it is sure he could be way more popular and those sales numbers would really help here. Cause even some stupid journalists can't ignore popstars they don't really care about but who have a big fanbase.

Of course there is a difference if a musician makes heaps of money OR is famous. Or both. There are lots of obscure musicians who are very wealthy but somehow totaly unknown to the masses. Don't ask me how this works. So he can be wealthy doing things even we don't know about (is this possible???), I don't know that. But it is sure he could be way more popular and those sales numbers would really help here. Cause even some stupid journalists can't ignore popstars they don't really care about but who have a big fanbase.

Ages ago (yes, I know, how the hell can I remember everything? :aah:) I saw a programme about musicians who write songs for bands and other artists. I think it was related to the boyband Five. Some famous singers or bands can't write music, because they are not actually musicians. They were explaining that behind these people with no exceptional talent for music there are songwriters who don't give a damn about having a career as performers. Sometimes they are very talented, but they are happy even "behind the scenes". Perhaps they are not good-looking enough or they are afraid of the stage, but it's mostly because they don't want to have anything to do with the world and the life of pop stars.