Mika said a wordy dird...

catwomanwithawhip

In high school, my Spanish teacher told us that dirty/swear words are an integral part of communication - while not necessarily "polite", they're appropriate in certain contexts. He then proceeded to teach us a bunch of Spanish dirty/swear words. :naughty:

But the point I'm making is that I agree with my old teacher - and in this context, "who gives a damn about the family you come from" makes total sense, and is context appropriate. What would be the alternative? It's clearly better than "who gives a f*ck". So what could he say? "Who gives a crap?" "Who gives a care?" :roftl:

Just my humble opinion, of course. :wink2:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more of a religious thing I think - it won't get taken off the telly before 9pm but it's considered to be blasphemous by certain religions I think.

That's weird...

They didn't beep out the f word in Four Weddings and a Funeral when they showed it a week ago... I thought they weren't allowed to have that word before 9pm here...

Anywas, I think I think swearing might be coming a bit more acceptable in common speech...

Either way, haven't thought of damn as a swear word since I was about 10...

I don't really mind because d**n isn't really a swear word over here.

At least it wasn't his favourite, the f word...:teehee:

Ooh yes, the f-bomb! :naughty:

of COURSE he is I mean it was used metaphorically to desribe the barrier in which he keeps the teen angst from flowing OBVIOUSLY :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

:lmfao:

You know, that works as an explanation!

the word is damn ... it can't be that bad if MFC doesn't beep it out :wink2:

I know, but they beep out w ank when it's part of a word, like Hilary S ****

In high school, my Spanish teacher told us that dirty/swear words are an integral part of communication - while not necessarily "polite", they're appropriate in certain contexts. He then proceeded to teach us a bunch of Spanish dirty/swear words. :naughty:

But the point I'm making is that I agree with my old teacher - and in this context, "who gives a damn about the family you come from" makes total sense, and is context appropriate. What would be the alternative? It's clearly better than "who gives a f*ck". So what could he say? "Who gives a crap?" "Who gives a care?"

Just my humble opinion, of course.

"Who gives a sh!t?" :dunno:

But the point I'm making is that I agree with my old teacher - and in this context, "who gives a damn about the family you come from" makes total sense, and is context appropriate. What would be the alternative? It's clearly better than "who gives a f*ck". So what could he say? "Who gives a crap?" "Who gives a care?" :roftl:

Did you know that when people swear, they use both the part of their brain used for speaking, as well as the part used for involuntary responses such as laughing and crying? I thought that was fascinating, even if it's not completely relevant to this thread. :teehee:

Anyways, my philosophy about swear words is just the same as other words: just as I wouldn't use "Fantastic" to describe, for example, a song like "You Belong With Me," but would use it to describe a song like "Stuck in the Middle," I personally wouldn't use "damn" to describe who cares about the family you come from, but would use it if I was in a car accident or something. However, if Mika sees this as something important enough to employ such a word, I have no objection to it just because it's a "swear" word. With that having been said, I'm not sure whether this context is so appropriate for such a word, but it does express the angst Mika was, in my opinion, trying to convey when he wrote the song. For this reason, I have no problem with it.

I can't see any problem with this word :dunno:

I swear a lot too :teehee: in 3 languages :roftl:

i swear in english & spanish I love to swear in spanish then people (who don't speak spanish) go huh :huh: lmfao:roftl:

don't think there's a single swear word offends me tbh

Edited by DarkLight
sperak ? huh not a word stupid *slaps self* duh lol

may I warn anyone on here if swearing offends you in any way do NOT watch illusionist Derren Brown he swears like mad at times lol (I find it sexy in him) strangely enough

prob cause he is sexy & the way he say's the words is just hilarious like the indignant way he said B*st*rds lmfao:teehee::roftl::naughty:

he uses all kinds of vulgar language & swear words even the c word (which doesn't bother me!) don't know why that 1 offends ppl? :huh: don't know why anyone is offended by swear words these days tbh they're just words :blink:

I am with you, sort of. I was going to make a WAG video with my siblings, whom I love to make videos with, but I don't feel comfortable about them hearing the D word...

*prude*

I like the song, but I like the Calvin Harris remix even better than the original in some aspects and it doesn't even have it.

Did you know that when people swear, they use both the part of their brain used for speaking, as well as the part used for involuntary responses such as laughing and crying? I thought that was fascinating, even if it's not completely relevant to this thread. :teehee:

Anyways, my philosophy about swear words is just the same as other words: just as I wouldn't use "Fantastic" to describe, for example, a song like "You Belong With Me," but would use it to describe a song like "Stuck in the Middle," I personally wouldn't use "damn" to describe who cares about the family you come from, but would use it if I was in a car accident or something. However, if Mika sees this as something important enough to employ such a word, I have no objection to it just because it's a "swear" word. With that having been said, I'm not sure whether this context is so appropriate for such a word, but it does express the angst Mika was, in my opinion, trying to convey when he wrote the song. For this reason, I have no problem with it.

Woops! I didn't know that. Should have suspected it though as bad words sometimes comes out without me planning to say it at all!:naughty:

Seriously, I don’t have a problem with people swearing in two conditions:

A. If it’s the right place and time!

B. Curse words should never be compensation for other words, it is extremely important when you learn a language as a child or if it’s your second language that you make sure you have the right words to not offend people with your bad choice of words!

I jut came back and was a bit lost about which D word was offensive in the song...

I even thought he might have changed the lyrics while i was away...

Now i see it's all about the damn...

I even thought he might have changed it to: "Who gives a dick about the family you come from"...

:biggrin2:

I jut came back and was a bit lost about which D word was offensive in the song...

I even thought he might have changed the lyrics while i was away...

Now i see it's all about the damn...

I even thought he might have changed it to: "Who gives a dick about the family you come from"...

:biggrin2:

Good to have you back Wonka :roftl:. Actually, I've heard that for the final album version he has changed it to 'Who gives a flying f*ck', because he thought that damn was a bit too much :lmfao:

Good to have you back Wonka :roftl:. Actually, I've heard that for the final album version he has changed it to 'Who gives a flying f*ck', because he thought that damn was a bit too much :lmfao:

Tnx, Sara! :huglove:

:lmfao: You decadent muchacha, you!:biggrin2: